ADVERTISEMENT

I now believe the silence...

stpaulcat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
St. Paul
is Fitz working to do what is necessary to right the program, rejuvenate both offense and defense, and produce a national contender. The three firings and the recapture of the RB from Texas, Caleb Komolafe, after admissions canned him are good signs that Fitz has some clout and is using it. Doubt we will see the results next year, but in two to three years, watch out. I really hope this is the course NU football is on.

Last edited:
is Fitz working to do what is necessary to right the program, rejuvenate both offense and defense, and produce a national contender. The three firings and the recapture of the RB from Texas, Caleb Komolafe, after admissions canned him are good signs that Fitz has some clout and is using it. Doubt we will see the results next year, but in two to three years, watch out. I really hope this is the course NU football is on.

Hey @CappyNU …please investigate ASAP. I think @stpaulcat account may have been hacked.

Don’t understand the logic at all. Not enough people were fired. Jake still having a job after presiding over an offense that was even more inept than our defense (for which JON was rightfully fired) is a glaring problem. Anyone think we are going to score the 40 a game the real contenders are all capable of putting up with this offense?

The recapture of a 2 star RB with limited offers is not a sign of much that would point to much in terms of a quantum leap in recruiting that would produce a national contender.

The silence of not hiring anyone or bringing in any transfers when every other program is doing so promptly is not a good sign of anything nor does it suggest that Fitz is working to do anything that is necessary to right the program, rejuvenate the offense or defense, much less produce a national contender. I don’t believe he’s earning his $5m a year and am disappointed he didn’t take a Harbaugh pay cut that might have lit a fire under his underachieving ass. Money that could have been put to good use in bringing Jim Leonhardt or some other qualified DC to Evanston yesterday.

Sorry. I do not believe. I sadly no longer expect victory. Unfortunately, there is nothing going on with the program now that would compel me to do so. If there is and I’m missing it, please point it out. Nothing you’ve noted so far does so, but rather does the opposite.

Last edited:
Ok - say McG becomes DC, there is still an opening. Unless PF is hiring from departing seniors or maybe the ball girl to LB coach - the silence is still a problem.

Reactions: Jaguar 88
Ok - say McG becomes DC, there is still an opening. Unless PF is hiring from departing seniors or maybe the ball girl to LB coach - the silence is still a problem.
Silence can be either a problem, except for people who talk way too much, or a gift (in the case of people who talk way too much). That is not the point, which in this case is, "what does the silence mean?"

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
You mean the guy whose defense gave up 45 points today?
Right, like 54-51 in 2000, when we had a terrible defense. That was the Colby era, wasn't it? Defense is by no means NU's only problem now, it is simply now an excuse as to why we were not winning. Actually, with a JON defense and a decent offense, we could have won a lot more games in the past two years. Did Fitz fire the wrong coordinator, or is Fitz the problem, putting the clamps on Bajakian to the point of not being able to run a decent offense? In any case, I believe the silence is Fitz figuring this out and getting it properly on track. He needs to rejuvenate both sides the ball, and I hope that he is doing just that.

Tulane is a great example, Corbi. I know that COULD happen at NU.

My big problem with that is, our resurrection was supposed to happen THIS year (22). Not 12-2 resurrection, but at least 6-6 or 7-5, and look like a legit Big Ten team again.

But instead, Fitz inexplicably brought back the Read and Don't React Defense, aka one of the worst defensive schemes in CFB history, AND stuck with running an offense that, AGAIN, our opponents had zero trouble scheming and knowing what plays were coming....

..... so, sorry, my koolaid glass is empty right now until I see a REAL change in approach on both sides of the football.

Tulane is a great example, Corbi. I know that COULD happen at NU.

My big problem with that is, our resurrection was supposed to happen THIS year (22). Not 12-2 resurrection, but at least 6-6 or 7-5, and look like a legit Big Ten team again.

But instead, Fitz inexplicably brought back the Read and Don't React Defense, aka one of the worst defensive schemes in CFB history, AND stuck with running an offense that, AGAIN, our opponents had zero trouble scheming and knowing what plays were coming....

..... so, sorry, my koolaid glass is empty right now until I see a REAL change in approach on both sides of the football.
Yeah, that is the reality. However, Fitz has pulled it out before, and I have faith either he will again, or a really big change will occur. One way or another there needs to be a big change. With all the money now behind this program, I believe there will be.

😆 Eleven bad Saturdays in 2022... just a few. Whatever happened to "Never again" after 2019?
Well, then we had 2020 which made 2019 look like the outlier on the trajectory of the program. 2021 was unexpectedly bad, and Fitz didn't do anything to shake up the staff because by his standards it was way too soon to fire a DC after 1 season or an OC after 2 seasons. Fitz had to have known that 2022 was likely to be as bad as 2021. If he didn't know that, either he is overly optimistic or not a good judge of quality.

Now that we have some real shakeup on both sides of the ball I have more optimism that Fitz is going to put the right coaches in place. I think he is counting on the fact that Bajakian has shown (unlike JON) he can adapt an offense to be productive and he will give him more autonomy to do so next year. I hope.

Cup half full vs. cup half empty. There you have it. I'm choosing to believe something good is about to happen, which is no more difficult than believing it is not.

Actually not the right analogy. You're looking at an empty cup and imagining it to be full.

We need a miracle for that.

Reactions: Figrating
Anybody else envision spring practice with three guys in masks with whistles running around giving orders. Lou later reports that PF feels knowing the identity gives the competition too much insight and going forward the identities of all new coaches will remain hidden.

Anybody else envision spring practice with three guys in masks with whistles running around giving orders. Lou later reports that PF feels knowing the identity gives the competition too much insight and going forward the identities of all new coaches will remain hidden.
Given the quality of coaching recently, I am ok with this, as long as the masks are soundproof

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
You two should get a room - haven’t heard so much BS since the last time I was trying to pick up…
You and ECat should get a room. You don't know any more about what Fitz is doing than I do. Love you Bob.

Speaking of silence, I am as much of a curmudgeon as the next guy about recent music vs the sounds of our youth, but I freaking love this cover version
I play that when I'm Mountain Biking - that and "Born to be wild", and "Gimmee Shelter". Mood music!

Reactions: drewjin
I am imagining it to be full, you are correct. You are imagining it to be empty.

No, the cup is empty. Maybe if we get a Hanklike DC and some impact transfers, it won't be. But, right now, what is there that you can hang your hat on to say we are going to be any better next year? I don't think we will score any more points than we did this year. Nothing was done on the offensive side of the ball to change that. Our problem wasn't simply the receiver room. Many, many more problems on that side of that ball that remain uncorrected, most of all our stale, incompetent, predictable, bottom 5% offense that couldn't outscore a losing FCS team that gave up 60+ to Incarnate Word.

Here’s a cup half full: I think the back seven and line edges on defense have plenty of talent that a halfway decent coordinator could have us solidly in the middle of the conference next year with only a modest effort. That would be huge improvement right there that wouldn’t take too much.

Now about those defensive tackles…

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT