ADVERTISEMENT

I thought it would be bad. It's much worse.

olshin

Oct 6, 2001
We have 3 guys, maybe, who deserve to be in major college basketball. One of them is a lacrosse player.

A team that had NEVER WON A GAME as a Division 1 program came in and was clearly the better team. And this is Year 7 of Chris Collins. I don't wonder if he can be the answer anymore. I just wonder if ANYONE can be.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE
We have 3 guys, maybe, who deserve to be in major college basketball. One of them is a lacrosse player.

A team that had NEVER WON A GAME as a Division 1 program came in and was clearly the better team. And this is Year 7 of Chris Collins. I don't wonder if he can be the answer anymore. I just wonder if ANYONE can be.
Definitely questions around Collins and his ability to develop players. His team had no clue against a zone defense. Might as well have a bunch of pick-up guys from Blomquist play and save the University scholarship money.

Point guard turmoil will be the end of this regime. Isiah Brown is actually on right now playing well against our friends in the cornfields. Maybe if Collins hadn’t run him off, we might not have looked as clueless tonight against a zone.

Well, I didn't realize we were playing tonight and now, I'm not said I didn't. It also looks like I won't realize when we're playing the remainder of our games.

I'm so used to ignoring my favorite teams these days - Sox, Hawks, NU basketball last season. Whatever - I got no time for losin'.

Point guard turmoil will be the end of this regime. Isiah Brown is actually on right now playing well against our friends in the cornfields. Maybe if Collins hadn’t run him off, we might not have looked as clueless tonight against a zone.
Dang. 12 points and 2 of 2 on threes. But still not a point guard.

Reactions: Titanium999
Can anyone put a positive spin on things? Mikewebb68???
I like Nance's double-double. He's only a sophomore.

The majority of our players tonight were freshmen or sophomores. We are a young team.

This is actually exactly what I expected. This is a full-on rebuilding year, and rebuilding teams are worst at the beginning of the season.

Reactions: haywood jahblowme

The majority of our players tonight were freshmen or sophomores. We are a young team.

This is actually exactly what I expected. This is a full-on rebuilding year, and rebuilding teams are worst at the beginning of the season.
You expected to lose by 10 to a team that was D2 a couple months ago?

Reactions: Styre
Wow, I Brown has really developed. Pure shot and more. Looked great actually.
If we didnt give him the boot, we would be 1-0.

Merrimack had 4 true FY playing and their leading scorer was in his second game. Youth is no excuse for the performance tonight.
But Merrimack has a Senior Point Guard who was three assists and a rebound away from a triple-double. That's the most important player to run your offense, the floor general. We haven't found our point guard yet but Merrimack has a pretty good one.

I feel bad for the players. Individually, our players have skills but, as a team, they are better off on offense playing sandlot ball. Alot of standing around looking confused.

Usually you rebuild from graduation losses from a successful team. Not from a team that had your worst record in a decade. You aren't really rebuilding it the prior product was rubble

Reactions: IGNORE

I actually thought Nance looked terrible. He was sloppy with the ball and slowed the offense. I know he put up good numbers but it just didn’t click. Spencer can play that’s for sure. I really don’t understand the lack of Jones in the second half. Young is not our answer and outside of a sloppy turnover Young looked solid in the first half.

Our man to man defense got shredded. With our height at all positions, this team should be playing ZONE, especially with no shot blocking presence underneath to protect the rim. Countless layups made against it and still we let their one three point shooter get rolling. CCC's stubborness really got him outcoached in this game. Two years ago, we finally switched to a zone halfway through the season and won some Big Ten games before BMAC's injury doomed us. Their zone, on the other hand, was very effective because we couldn't hit a three and couldn't get ANY putbacks or very many layups against it even after we'd hit a man in the middle and force it to respond.

Reactions: IGNORE

Wow! Crazy!

I actually thought Nance looked terrible. He was sloppy with the ball and slowed the offense. I know he put up good numbers but it just didn’t click. Spencer can play that’s for sure. I really don’t understand the lack of Jones in the second half. Young is not our answer and outside of a sloppy turnover Young looked solid in the first half.

There isn't that big...that guy...that can receive the ball in the post and make a solid, powerful move, getting off a decent shot.

Nance doesn't have that strength and Young, I think, doesn't have that in his game. He does look like a nice shooter.

I'd think they'd want to pass it in to pass it out. Young is a nice passer. And it's not like the wings are making great passes.

I think Pete prefers to play away from the basket. Not because he's afraid of contact, but because he likes to move. High energy guy who likes to be all over the place.

There isn't that big...that guy...that can receive the ball in the post and make a solid, powerful move, getting off a decent shot.

Nance doesn't have that strength and Young, I think, doesn't have that in his game. He does look like a nice shooter.

I'd think they'd want to pass it in to pass it out. Young is a nice passer. And it's not like the wings are making great passes.

I think Pete prefers to play away from the basket. Not because he's afraid of contact, but because he likes to move. High energy guy who likes to be all over the place.
Why didn’t we see Jones? He looks to have the most power. He had that one bad turnover and Collins benched him.

If nance tried to finish hard he could have easily had 30 pts. Plus he had several idiotic turnovers.

Lol! I knew we'd be pathetic this year, but it looks like it's going to take a lot of work to get there.

I sincerely feel bad for those of you who laid out the bucks for season tickets this year, but kudos to you, honestly.

Want to share mine?

You can't win if you can't score. And it's a joyless experience watching a team brick shot after shot after shot after shot. (At one point, Spencer hit a couple shots in the second half to put us up 5 or so. Pounding his chest, he yelled at the crowd to get up and make some noise - nothing. We're all apathetic already. And that's because...) We shoot in the teens more than I've ever seen at any level of basketball, and this staff has done absolutely nothing to fix it. Even our better teams under Collins have struggled on offense. These worse teams the last few years are hapless.

Collins' future here is in serious doubt. I felt for most of last year that he was basically dependent on landing at least one of the PBJ/Christie tier of recruit, and I think that's even more clear tonight. And I'm not feeling great about our chances on that.

Collins will get the season to see if he can figure it out. I sincerely hope he can. But losing to Merrimack is very bad. There are no excuses or justifications or silver linings or upsides. It's plain bad.

Can anyone put a positive spin on things? Mikewebb68???
I woke up earlier than expected and learned that Merrimack is indeed a real college in Massachusetts, and was founded in 1947 to educate WW2 vets:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrimack_College

Aside from that... well our only football victory over UNLV is feeling pretty sweet in comparison. This is a mind-numbing loss. Back to sleep / football.

417DrYn2rVL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Well, I didn't realize we were playing tonight and now, I'm not said I didn't. It also looks like I won't realize when we're playing the remainder of our games.

I'm so used to ignoring my favorite teams these days - Sox, Hawks, NU basketball last season. Whatever - I got no time for losin'.

Yikes. Is that team even D1?

Why didn’t we see Jones? He looks to have the most power. He had that one bad turnover and Collins benched him.

Jones played five minutes. I'd argue that's inexcusable.

When Jones was on the floor with Nance in the exhibition it created opportunities for spencer to penetrate and dish. So by all means remove that as an option.

Reactions: lunker35

You expected us to lose by 10? Wow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT