ADVERTISEMENT

I waited almost a week so I could post rationally - so here goes (Part 1-rant)

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Almost everything that needs to be said about the Akron game has already been posted, and the coaching staff was rightly blasted. I would pile on just a little more:

What was McCall thinking of the (I believe) 3 times in the first half in short yardage situations where Thorson went under center with Larkin as a single back? Since it was clear that Thorson would not sneak due to his leg, the Akron linebackers could wait, watch which hole Larkin was heading for and fill. Each time they stuffed him behind the line. I see using the formation if Thorson can sneak, since he can read a gap at the line and plunge for the needed yardage, and the threat requires the linebackers to commit pre-snap. Being under center, they don't, and Thorson does not have the ability to easily use a pass option and loses his ability to read to do so. The only conceivable way the play could develop was to give to Larkin without a lead blocker while the defense can easily read which way to go. Aaaaaargh!

Did anyone else see this or am I even crazier than my wife thinks I am?

Almost everything that needs to be said about the Akron game has already been posted, and the coaching staff was rightly blasted. I would pile on just a little more:

What was McCall thinking of the (I believe) 3 times in the first half in short yardage situations where Thorson went under center with Larkin as a single back? Since it was clear that Thorson would not sneak due to his leg, the Akron linebackers could wait, watch which hole Larkin was heading for and fill. Each time they stuffed him behind the line. I see using the formation if Thorson can sneak, since he can read a gap at the line and plunge for the needed yardage, and the threat requires the linebackers to commit pre-snap. Being under center, they don't, and Thorson does not have the ability to easily use a pass option and loses his ability to read to do so. The only conceivable way the play could develop was to give to Larkin without a lead blocker while the defense can easily read which way to go. Aaaaaargh!

Did anyone else see this or am I even crazier than my wife thinks I am?
Great point. What a waste of a game! Just plain nasty. If Thorson can't keep the defense honest by running,he has no business being out there. Thank heavens we paid Fitz to teach us how to flush it 24 hours later,or I would need months of Freudian psychoanalysis! LOL!

I agree but our execution -- namely blocking -- needs to be better. At that point, even if the defense knows what's coming, we still need to run them over, but we rarely do.

Reactions: ricko654321
I agree but our execution -- namely blocking -- needs to be better. At that point, even if the defense knows what's coming, we still need to run them over, but we rarely do.

The thing is, by running Larkin without a lead back and with Akron being able to fill the gap, there is almost no way the interior linemen can create a hole against anyone, even Akron. Akron will always be able to put two defenders to one blocker at the Larkin's point of attack, and it is not rational to think the block will be held, particularly since 2 of the 5 O-linemen were backups.

Reactions: NUCat320
The thing is, by running Larkin without a lead back and with Akron being able to fill the gap, there is almost no way the interior linemen can create a hole against anyone, even Akron. Akron will always be able to put two defenders to one blocker at the Larkin's point of attack, and it is not rational to think the block will be held, particularly since 2 of the 5 O-linemen were backups.

What? Why can’t the lineman create a hole under those circumstances? Good lines can and have created holes all the time. The reality is that all you need is to create a push, not a hole, in those circumstances. We couldn’t even do that. If you can’t just line up and gain half a yard then you have no business winning football games.

What? Why can’t the lineman create a hole under those circumstances? Good lines can and have created holes all the time. The reality is that all you need is to create a push, not a hole, in those circumstances. We couldn’t even do that. If you can’t just line up and gain half a yard then you have no business winning football games.

Aaaargh. I agree creating push is the hallmark of a team with a good line. My point was, with two starters out, the line wasn’t very good and putting Thorson under center instead of in a gun accomplishes nothing because everyone knows he won’t sneak. If you put him in a gun, he can read the linebackers and option to a pass to the SB if Akron overcommits to stopping the run, as they did. You gain nothing at all by putting him under center, so why do it?

Aaaargh. I agree creating push is the hallmark of a team with a good line. My point was, with two starters out, the line wasn’t very good and putting Thorson under center instead of in a gun accomplishes nothing because everyone knows he won’t sneak. If you put him in a gun, he can read the linebackers and option to a pass to the SB if Akron overcommits to stopping the run, as they did. You gain nothing at all by putting him under center, so why do it?
I try not to be overly negative. But to me the bottom line is that with the experience and talent level of our team, an O-Line with 50% second string should be able to get a 2-yard push against a mid-tier MAC team. Maybe not open a hole in a 3rd or 4th and short but at least squeeze out 2 yards.

If we cannot do that, then we are not where we thought we were this year.

Reactions: corbi296
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT