ADVERTISEMENT

If I was God and wanted to save college football

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
I would appear in a vision to Kevin Warren and tell him that if he had the courage, I would help him:

1) Negotiate a merger with the PAC 12
2) Poach Duke and NC from the ACC
3) Accept the burden of adding Kansas, KSU, Iowa State and while holding his nose, Oklahoma State.
4) Form four divisions: the PAC 8 (The old PAC 8 teams) The B1G East ( the current East Division minus Michigan with Duke and NC added), the B1G 8 ( the old Big 8 except Nebraska, plus the Arizona’s and Utah), and the B1G Midwest, ( current West plus Michigan.)

I would tell him to organize a semifinal championship that would pit a 1 v 4 seed and 2 v 3 seed the week before Thanksgiving.

Further, I would ask him to negotiate with the Tournament of Roses to enter into an exclusive deal, move the parade and Rose Bowl to Thanksgiving weekend, and make the Rose Bowl the B1G COLLEGE National Championship, emphasizing the idea that the member schools remain committed to the college part of intercollegiate outside the football field.

As a gracious God, I would still let ESPN have its “National Championship Game” with The B1G Winner or an All B1G team versus Alabama of the southeast regional semipro league at some multi billion dollar NFL stadium, a game somewhat like the old College All Star game at Soldier Field.

Last edited:
I would appear in a vision to Kevin Warren and tell him that if he had the courage, I would help him:

3) Accept the burden of adding Kansas, KSU, Iowa State and while holding his nose, Oklahoma State.
4) Form four divisions: the PAC 8 (The old PAC 8 teams) The B1G East ( the current East Division minus Michigan with Duke and NC added), the B1G 8 ( the old Big 8 except Nebraska, plus the Arizona’s and Utah), and the B1G Midwest, ( current West plus Michigan.)

I would tell him to organize a semifinal championship that would pit a 1 v 4 seed and 2 v 3 seed the week before Thanksgiving.

Further, I would ask him to negotiate with the Tournament of Roses to enter into an exclusive deal, move the parade and Rose Bowl to Thanksgiving weekend, and make the Rose Bowl the B1G COLLEGE National Championship, emphasizing the idea that the member schools remain committed to the college part of intercollegiate outside the football field.

As a gracious God, I would still let ESPN have its “National Championship Game” with The B1G Winner or an All B1G team versus Alabama of the southeast regional semipro league at some multi billion dollar NFL stadium, a game somewhat like the old College All Star game at Soldier Field.
Why would God talk to Warren when he knows that he already predestinated Fitz as the chosen commissioner?

If I were the Big Ten, I would focus on poaching Clemson from the ACC. If you can entice Clemson to leave, the ACC is Left teetering and then perhaps ND will feel like it has no choice but to follow suit.

If you were God, I’d hope you have more pressing matters to attend to than a game played by kids.

E.g. global warming, discrimination, income inequality, false prophets, how to keep my dog from shedding all over the house

If you were God, I’d hope you have more pressing matters to attend to than a game played by kids.

E.g. global warming, discrimination, income inequality, false prophets, how to keep my dog from shedding all over the house
When would Fitz have time to address global warming and the other things you mentioned?

Reactions: rmndcat

Well, the hardest part of all that is getting Pasadena to move the parade. The game, maybe. Not the parade.

When would Fitz have time to address global warming and the other things you mentioned?
While we trust in Fitz, I’m pretty sure that Kelly Amonte Hiller has a better claim to that particular throne.

We should start referring to her as KAH-weh.

Reactions: NUCat320
Will any of these ideas make more money for each of the schools in the conference?

Will any of these ideas make more money for each of the schools in the conference?

There are two big pots of money: ESPN and Fox Sports. ESPN is clearly doubling down on making the SEC a synonym for relevant college football, and the SEC is willing to play along, with Texas and Oklahoma in order to divide up the ESPN money. Building a super conference based on the traditional values of college football would be a play for Fox Sports money as well as a way to preserve the game.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
So many things changing on the college football landscape...and it feels like none of them are for the better :(

I think a lot of luck will be involved with commissioners, presidents, ADs, and tv execs trying to lay the groundwork for the next 20-25 years. TV rights, the intrusion of NLI issues, egos...so many hurdles.

What's interesting to me is with the promise of a 12-team playoff on the horizon, why the likes of Texas and Notre Dame don't go 100% independent, schedule whomever they want, and charge $25 for streaming each game...it's not like other elite teams wouldn't still clamor to schedule them, and they'd have a strength of schedule to be in the playoff conversation any time they're halfway decent.

But also...to all your other NU fans...if CFB got turned on its ear, and let's say Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State all went off to join a superconference...would you not be content playing an eight-game league schedule every season with the leftovers, with a championship game in Chicago on ~Dec. 1 and the league champ going out west to play the pared-down Pac-8 champ on New Year's Day? I think that sounds kind of delightful.

Protecting the Rose Bowl is indeed a worthy objective. Recognizing Notre Dame is contractually unavailable to Kevin Warren for the next decade or so, there still is that other God fearing school of football prominence that could fit in one of the new divisions, BYU.

Reactions: eastbaycat99
ADVERTISEMENT