ADVERTISEMENT

If not #FireMcCall then #FireFitz

olshin

Oct 6, 2001
We're ahead 24-6 as of now, will win by 3+ TD and yet this feels like the last straw.

How is Aidan Smith still getting all the plays as starting quarterback on this team? Literally, what has he done to merit that? Turnover machine against one of the worst D1 defenses in college FB history?

I hope that Fitz is smart enough to realize that he's done the worst job of any FBS coach this year and make legitimate changes, mainly on the offensive side of the ball.

This is no longer the dark age. We have some of the best facilities in college FB and spent all the money he wanted. There is NO excuse for the embarrassment of this season. None.

We're ahead 24-6 as of now, will win by 3+ TD and yet this feels like the last straw.

How is Aidan Smith still getting all the plays as starting quarterback on this team? Literally, what has he done to merit that? Turnover machine against one of the worst D1 defenses in college FB history?

I hope that Fitz is smart enough to realize that he's done the worst job of any FBS coach this year and make legitimate changes, mainly on the offensive side of the ball.

This is no longer the dark age. We have some of the best facilities in college FB and spent all the money he wanted. There is NO excuse for the embarrassment of this season. None.
Asinine, an off year and frustrating but the 'Cats will be back soon.

Aidan is the starter because Hunter is incapacitated, TJ is out, Marty is less ready and Whitaker is a gimmick. Not much else to see here.

We sucked this year. I agree. But are you insane?? Sure, get rid of the oc/Mccall. But Fitz is untouchable. We might not make it back to the champ game next year, but get ready for a bowl game next season. I can almost guarantee that! Fitz is the best NU coach ever! He's a great guy too- I talked to him for a while at a NU bball game. One bad year means nothing. He has brought us utopia as an Nu football fan- both as a coach and a player!

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
We sucked this year. I agree. But are you insane?? Sure, get rid of the oc/Mccall. But Fitz is untouchable. We might not make it back to the champ game next year, but get ready for a bowl game next season. I can almost guarantee that! Fitz is the best NU coach ever! He's a great guy too- I talked to him for a while at a NU bball game. One bad year means nothing. He has brought us utopia as an Nu football fan- both as a coach and a player!
Got , I'll have what you're drinking or smoking!

Reactions: IGNORE and mickbula
He is a great guy and a smart coach. But he’s admitted he doesn’t want to be a Paterno and he is without-a-doubt his own man.

Let’s see what he comes up with in the offseason - but if it’s another year of our craptastic offense, I’ll take a vacation for a season as my blood pressure doesn’t need this.

Reactions: mickbula and IGNORE
He is a great guy and a smart coach. But he’s admitted he doesn’t want to be a Paterno and he is without-a-doubt his own man.

Let’s see what he comes up with in the offseason - but if it’s another year of our craptastic offense, I’ll take a vacation for a season as my blood pressure doesn’t need this.
We will be back next season- better than ever!! Titanium999 has me convinced of it! Well...maybe not as good as some of our teams?? But our schedule sets us up for a great chance of at least a bowl game! Maybe we will have our blue chip qb developed by then?? All we need is a little tinkering with our O and a new OC! Our D is solid! Hank will have our players psyched as ever! Let's just get an OC like Kevin Wilson to ramp up a new exciting offense!!

Reactions: Rebel_
Y’all can mock the FireFitz thing. Many of the same folks that mocked the growing FireMcCall last year and fire Springer and Cushing before that.

Thing is, with each year and the lack of spine proving firings brings more names to the firing line. The chorus won’t go away, it will grow in size and volume.

If Fitz hates the media and messages boards now, imagine when he has become hot seat story in place of rumor to next big job story. Questions and stories turn away from other coaches and start pointing directly at him - questioning his future.

So mock Turk and anyone making the suggestion, stand firm behind Fitz if he makes no changes and watch your enjoyment of NU FB and this board dissipate.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
Y’all can mock the FireFitz thing. Many of the same folks that mocked the growing FireMcCall last year and fire Springer and Cushing before that.

Thing is, with each year and the lack of spine proving firings brings more names to the firing line. The chorus won’t go away, it will grow in size and volume.

If Fitz hates the media and messages boards now, imagine when he has become hot seat story in place of rumor to next big job story. Questions and stories turn away from other coaches and start pointing directly at him - questioning his future.

So mock Turk and anyone making the suggestion, stand firm behind Fitz if he makes no changes and watch your enjoyment of NU FB and this board dissipate.
The same faction that didn’t like the Fire Colby faction are one in the same for the most part too.

Reactions: IGNORE
The same faction that didn’t like the Fire Colby faction are one in the same for the most part too.
Simply not true. Corbi and I both called for Cushing's replacement for two or more years. I personally shared my thoughts on this topic with decision makers. Years before that, I felt that Colby had to go. That said, Fitz is the best thing that ever happened to this program and McCall is going nowhere.
I am appalled at the language used to condemn McCall and Fitz. It goes beyond the expression of a reasonable judgment and has taken on a character of irrational vindictive, perhaps self-serving, but definitely inflamatory. I can only believe that the seeming hatred for Fitz and McCall that is surfacing here is not a product of intense support, love, or admiration of NU and its athletic programs. It must be born of something else. I truly do not understand what is driving it, unless it is a desire to hurt NU or attract attention to oneself. Otherwise, it just seems so very misguided, counter-productive, and just plain silly. I am losing patience and interest in this board because of it.

Simply not true. Corbi and I both called for Cushing's replacement for two or more years. I personally shared my thoughts on this topic with decision makers. Years before that, I felt that Colby had to go. That said, Fitz is the best thing that ever happened to this program and McCall is going nowhere.
I am appalled at the language used to condemn McCall and Fitz. It goes beyond the expression of a reasonable judgment and has taken on a character of irrational vindictive, perhaps self-serving, but definitely inflamatory. I can only believe that the seeming hatred for Fitz and McCall that is surfacing here is not a product of intense support, love, or admiration of NU and its athletic programs. It must be born of something else. I truly do not understand what is driving it, unless it is a desire to hurt NU or attract attention to oneself. Otherwise, it just seems so very misguided, counter-productive, and just plain silly. I am losing patience and interest in this board because of it.

I do believe McCall and some of the other Offensive Staff need to go. Exceptions Ayeni & Anderson.

I personally have zero issue with Fitz, other than his stubbornness at times

I cannot think of anyone that was not in favor of moving on from Colby. For Cushing, many were not for firing but most of them were for moving him out of that position. In the case of McCall, he has done plenty of good while here. He managed to successfully navigate a two QB system, adapted last year to the loss of RB with no one originally able to handle the position till Bowser came on to the scene, managed an unspectacular Frosh CT season and plenty more. We have a D first based system so our O will likely not be spectacular. For the most part, over the last several years, I considered his performance at OC to be a solid B.

That said, this year was a perfect storm. While I do not think anyone could have really successfully navigated the combination of events, that does not mean that someone else could not have been a bit better. Maybe age has caught up to him and he is getting slower on the adjustments. The danger with this year is that he may have lost guys on the team. For that reason alone, it is reasonable to ask hard questions as to whether he should be the OC going forward

I cannot think of anyone that was not in favor of moving on from Colby. For Cushing, many were not for firing but most of them were for moving him out of that position. In the case of McCall, he has done plenty of good while here. He managed to successfully navigate a two QB system, adapted last year to the loss of RB with no one originally able to handle the position till Bowser came on to the scene, managed an unspectacular Frosh CT season and plenty more. We have a D first based system so our O will likely not be spectacular. For the most part, over the last several years, I considered his performance at OC to be a solid B.

That said, this year was a perfect storm. While I do not think anyone could have really successfully navigated the combination of events, that does not mean that someone else could not have been a bit better. Maybe age has caught up to him and he is getting slower on the adjustments. The danger with this year is that he may have lost guys on the team. For that reason alone, it is reasonable to ask hard questions as to whether he should be the OC going forward
This is why I stay on this board. Very fair assessment.

Based on some assorted conversations I've had with former players over the years, I don't think that McCall is the most highly respected of the coaches on staff to begin with, so indeed that is a risk.

I also agree that McCall got dealt an awful set of circumstances this year, but he's been progressively underperforming for years and I certainly don't think he helped us this year. He had a good career and did a lot for us but I think the second and third order innovations to the spread offense (in how to defend it, how to react to those new defensive schemes, and so on and so forth) have progressed faster than he has. I think it is time to move on.

I'm not sure if there are enough NU football fans in the world to constitute a chorus.

Based on some assorted conversations I've had with former players over the years, I don't think that McCall is the most highly respected of the coaches on staff to begin with, so indeed that is a risk.

I also agree that McCall got dealt an awful set of circumstances this year, but he's been progressively underperforming for years and I certainly don't think he helped us this year. He had a good career and did a lot for us but I think the second and third order innovations to the spread offense (in how to defend it, how to react to those new defensive schemes, and so on and so forth) have progressed faster than he has. I think it is time to move on.
I look at 36 wins and say that he has played within the structure that has been set and done reasonably well. The last four years, Fitz has basically put together they type of team he wants to go to war with and McCall worked within that structure. With Fitz the helm, we are probably not going to have an O first structure and any O coordinator we have is going to have to work within that. McCall has done relatively well in that structure. Except this year when anything that could go wrong, did. While McCall is not blameless and it is definitely worthy of looking at him, a lot is simply not his fault. And with people clamoring for a new OC, while it is definitely possible to get better, this may be yet another case of "be careful what you wish for" Recent example is W parking lot. Yes it is better but many of those complaining are no longer able to get into the West lot because of those "improvements"

Reactions: drewjin
I look at 36 wins and say that he has played within the structure that has been set and done reasonably well. The last four years, Fitz has basically put together they type of team he wants to go to war with and McCall worked within that structure. With Fitz the helm, we are probably not going to have an O first structure and any O coordinator we have is going to have to work within that. McCall has done relatively well in that structure. Except this year when anything that could go wrong, did. While McCall is not blameless and it is definitely worthy of looking at him, a lot is simply not his fault. And with people clamoring for a new OC, while it is definitely possible to get better, this may be yet another case of "be careful what you wish for" Recent example is W parking lot. Yes it is better but many of those complaining are no longer able to get into the West lot because of those "improvements"

I understand what you mean when you say “offense first” and “defense first,” but, really, at the end of the day, the offense tries to score a touchdown when it’s on the field and the defense tries to take the ball away or force a punt. It really doesn’t have to be one or the other.

In basketball, you have to roll with the same five guys on O and D, so you have to accept trade offs there. Do you play Sanjay Lumpkin for D, or Nate Taphorn for his shooting? Etc.

Same in baseball to some extent — a guy might be a great hitter but awful fielder.

That’s just not how football works. We CAN have a dynamic offense and a top-tier defense. We do not need to call halfback dives all the time and call it “ball control.” In fact I would argue a boring, predictable offense is more likely to give up the ball on downs.

Reactions: NUCat320 and IGNORE
I understand what you mean when you say “offense first” and “defense first,” but, really, at the end of the day, the offense tries to score a touchdown when it’s on the field and the defense tries to take the ball away or force a punt. It really doesn’t have to be one or the other.

In basketball, you have to roll with the same five guys on O and D, so you have to accept trade offs there. Do you play Sanjay Lumpkin for D, or Nate Taphorn for his shooting? Etc.

Same in baseball to some extent — a guy might be a great hitter but awful fielder.

That’s just not how football works. We CAN have a dynamic offense and a top-tier defense. We do not need to call halfback dives all the time and call it “ball control.” In fact I would argue a boring, predictable offense is more likely to give up the ball on downs.
Sorry but for the most part our approach under Fitz is we are a defensive minded team. O whatever you do, don't put the D in a bad position. Score if you can. Take advantage of situations such as short fields but when in doubt, do not forget rule one which is do not put the D in a bad position. Don't make mistakes. That has been the mantra. But this year, inexperience and injuries have lead to plenty of mistakes being made and they have killed us. Missed chip shot FG, penalties at the worst times, fumbles and INTs have all worked together to destroy that model and since we have very little room for error......

Sorry but for the most part our approach under Fitz is we are a defensive minded team. O whatever you do, don't put the D in a bad position. Score if you can. Take advantage of situations such as short fields but when in doubt, do not forget rule one which is do not put the D in a bad position. Don't make mistakes. That has been the mantra. But this year, inexperience and injuries have lead to plenty of mistakes being made and they have killed us. Missed chip shot FG, penalties at the worst times, fumbles and INTs have all worked together to destroy that model and since we have very little room for error......

Yes, we agree.

But my point is that having a dynamic offense does not ~by definition~ increase the likelihood of making a mistake and putting the defense in a bad position. Arguably it’s the opposite. If you have a QB and a group of receivers capable of connecting on deep routes, that opens up the short routes and run game and prevents opposing corners from consistent press coverage that risks INTs.

There's only one person I know of who defended Colby and is "defending" McCall now. That would be me. I've never cared for this 'blame & fire the coach' stuff every time a position group underperforms. I look for talent deficiencies first before I look at coaching.

I dropped Colby like a rock when I took a look at how his DL was playing at the snap of the ball in what was termed a 'read and react' defense. It was like no read and react defense I'd ever played, and it limited our pass rushers back then. Woot should have had 30 sacks and 40 TFL over his career under a better defensive scheme.

There were Colby supporters out there, however Hank has silenced them

There's only one person I know of who defended Colby and is "defending" McCall now. That would be me. I've never cared for this 'blame & fire the coach' stuff every time a position group underperforms. I look for talent deficiencies first before I look at coaching.

I dropped Colby like a rock when I took a look at how his DL was playing at the snap of the ball in what was termed a 'read and react' defense. It was like no read and react defense I'd ever played, and it limited our pass rushers back then. Woot should have had 30 sacks and 40 TFL over his career under a better defensive scheme.

McCall's Read and React offense is no better than Colby's defense version. Similar to your argument about Woot, I would say Thorson's numbers would've been significantly better under a halfway decent offensive system and coaching.

McCall's Read and React offense is no better than Colby's defense version. Similar to your argument about Woot, I would say Thorson's numbers would've been significantly better under a halfway decent offensive system and coaching.

Kevin Wilson’s Spread ?

Glads you’ve always thought things out.

Consistently going three and out puts our D in a bad position.

And I would say that Barnett was the best thing that ever happened to the program.

Maybe. Justin Jackson still would limit Thorson's yardage and Thorson's issues with accuracy can't be blamed entirely on the scheme. Give Thorson WRs like ACarr and I'd agree, but then that's a "Jimmy". McCall's R&R offense is not directly comparable to anyone's R&R defense except that it allows flexibility and gives the QB and WR smart options in response to defensive coverage. There are tradeoffs to an attacking defense vs R&R defense, and there will be tradeoffs with a fixed route offense. Gonna be a lot harder to get open when the opponent knows your routes after a few games, or you have to complete a route when you're already covered.

Yeah there's a blatantly obvious example of this - look at Nick Saban at Bama before he brought on Lane Kiffin as OC and since. Having a team built on dominant defense does not preclude them from also having an explosive offense.

Fitz is defense first, but I don't think he would have any problem at all with our offense scoring more. I am sure he pressures Mick to "take care of the ball" and not make mistakes so there are some constraints from the structure, but any good offensive coach wants to score without turning the ball over. A new OC seems like a logical catalyst that can help prompt Fitz to allow a new philosophy on the offensive side of the ball. Possible it's not even Mick's fault (due to the constraints Fitz placed on him), but a change of personnel could allow for that shift in vision.

How do you ever expect to recruit the "Jimmy and Joes" (as many have argued is the problem with the offense as opposed to McCall) if that is your offensive philosophy? Putting aside what I would argue is the small subset of recruits who truly value NU's education, what offensive playmaker is going to choose NU over a program with a dynamic offense? Come to NU where our offensive philosophy is "Score if you can. Don't put the D in a bad position." Playmakers want to make plays and be involved in dynamic, creative offenses. Have you seen McCall do anything remotely creative/forward thinking on offense despite one or two trick plays a year?

Do you think its any coincidence that NU has recruited subpar at the skill positions despite winning 36 games over the past 4 years? Why did we miss out on our top QB recruits over the past 5 years? All bad luck? Or maybe its just that recruits don't want to play in a stale/predictable offensive scheme.

Any other program would have fired Fitz prior to the UMass game.
I agree. I just don't think he gets it. Watching his pressers this year has me thinking that he thinks this team is just as talented as Wisconsin, PSU, Minnesota. I'm not sure if he loses his job this year but he should definately be on the hot seat if he has his team ill equipped again. This is a mess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT