ADVERTISEMENT

If not Mike Kafka...then whom for next OC??

mickbula

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2011
Alma Ata, Kazakhstan
I am all in favor of Fitz moving on from M Mccall as OC asap. The time has come just like he did with Colby as DC. We got great results as a result with Hank. Many on this board have stated that we won't be able to secure Mike Kafka as our next OC because he has greener pastures in the nfl on his horizon. So then, I was just wondering...does anybody have any ideas of where Fitz might look to get our next Kevin Wilson to make our offense kick some tush again?? I remember that it wasn't that long ago that our offense was actually really exciting to watch and it won us a lot of games. Does anybody have any ideas of candidates for our next OC? I am just curious and want to have some optimism for soon coming seasons. I would think that our OC job would be a rather desirable position. We have a 5star qb with a high upside of potential and some other great players that just need the right coach/system to get a giddyup. Any ideas????

I am all in favor of Fitz moving on from M Mccall as OC asap. The time has come just like he did with Colby as DC. We got great results as a result with Hank. Many on this board have stated that we won't be able to secure Mike Kafka as our next OC because he has greener pastures in the nfl on his horizon. So then, I was just wondering...does anybody have any ideas of where Fitz might look to get our next Kevin Wilson to make our offense kick some tush again?? I remember that it wasn't that long ago that our offense was actually really exciting to watch and it won us a lot of games. Does anybody have any ideas of candidates for our next OC? I am just curious and want to have some optimism for soon coming seasons. I would think that our OC job would be a rather desirable position. We have a 5star qb with a high upside of potential and some other great players that just need the right coach/system to get a giddyup. Any ideas????
A few big supporters are at our tailgate and they were saying that McCall will be here 1 more year. Nothing to do with family or his contract but he isnt getting fired.
That was confirmed.
The problem is that Fitz already has his man but he wont be available until the following year.
I have no idea who his guy is but the interest is mutual and without knowing i gotta say it is a former player. Just speculating but it could also be a seasoned oc but i doubt it since Fitz will not let an oc come in with his own offensive coaches and/or system.
That rules out Johns since Kevin would want a more aggressive system.

Then there will be a lot of season tix not renewed.
Did you see the schedule next year?
It may be the absolute easiest home schedule.
6 games
Central Michigan
Morgan st
Tulane
Maryland
Illinois
Nebraska
Talk about a program that brings no value to season ticket holders. Before, the idea of getting your west lot pass by virtue of being a loyal fan was a nice perk to renew.

The good news is that our team, even if it isnt improved, should win 5 of these with ease.
The bad news for the ticket office is that stubhub will almost certainly be offering tickets to each game for $6. Or pick them up for free in the west lot.
Makes no sense to buy season tickets when decent parking doesnt come with it anymore.

Last edited:
Why in the world do people keep bringing up Mike Kafka who probably has no interest whatsoever and seems to have a great future in the NFL.
Then who do you have in mind?? That is what I am asking? Mccall obviously isn't working well for our fb team. There are some up-and-comers with brilliant minds as oc's for lower-tier programs that would give our team some serious mojo! I hope Mr. Wickerpark is right in his thread comments above. I would tend to think that having the worst o in the country would compel Fitz to make a change???

6 games
Central Michigan
Morgan st
Tulane
Maryland
Illinois
Nebraska
Talk about a program that brings no value to season ticket holders. Before, the idea of getting your west lot pass by virtue of being a loyal fan was a nice perk to renew.

The good news is that our team, even if it isnt improved, should win 5 of these with ease.
The bad news for the ticket office is that stubhub will almost certainly be offering tickets to each game for $6. Or pick them up for free in the west lot.
Makes no sense to buy season tickets when decent parking doesnt come with it anymore.

Screwed up again, Turk.

A few big supporters are at our tailgate and they were saying that McCall will be here 1 more year. Nothing to do with family or his contract but he isnt getting fired.
That was confirmed.
The problem is that Fitz already has his man but he wont be available until the following year.
I have no idea who his guy is but the interest is mutual and without knowing i gotta say it is a former player. Just speculating but it could also be a seasoned oc but i doubt it since Fitz will not let an oc come in with his own offensive coaches and/or system.
That rules out Johns since Kevin would want a more aggressive system.

Stop making shit up, Turk.

Then who do you have in mind?? That is what I am asking? Mccall obviously isn't working well for our fb team. There are some up-and-comers with brilliant minds as oc's for lower-tier programs that would give our team some serious mojo! I hope Mr. Wickerpark is right in his thread comments above. I would tend to think that having the worst o in the country would compel Fitz to make a change???
C.J.???

Careful what you wish for.
Charlie Weiss is available.

I do know McCall needs to go. Fitz can throw him an early retirement party

Reactions: IGNORE
We can probably get Garrick McGee back for a couple of seasons. He never stays in one place for long, though.

6 games
Central Michigan
Morgan st
Tulane
Maryland
Illinois
Nebraska

Coming off 2-10, we will need a sure bowl season.

Coming off 2-10, we will need a sure bowl season.
With this sad offense, we'd lose every one of those games! I had to turn off the tv at the end of the third quarter. I couldn't take it anymore. The D was actually playing very tough and honorable. Seeing HJ go down and then Smith miss receivers by ten yards was really sad. We really stunk it up. And the worst of it was listening to those two hooligans calling the game on FS1 and their interpretations of what was happening. What the hell happened to our team?? Last bowl game we beat UTAH! They are ranked like 6th in the nation right now after beating Wash with only 1 loss all season! So sad. Really- I am not sure I can watch any more of our games this season. It really affects my wellness. I am checking out now.

Reactions: IGNORE and TerraCat
We can probably get Garrick McGee back for a couple of seasons. He never stays in one place for long, though.

This wouldn’t be bad, honestly ... though he was last seen around these parts getting fired by Lovie, so maybe the magic’s gone.

Brent Vigen, OC at Wyoming. OC at the NDSU juggernaut before that staff moved up in class this season. Run first coordinator.

Charlie Dickey, OL Coach at Ok. State. Tough to get a P5 coordinator, but this guy has been a coordinator (at K State).

John Settle, RB Coach, Wisconsin. For obvious reasons. (Wisconsin’s OC is also their OL coach.)

Rob Sale, OC/OL Coach at Louisiana-Lafayette, 3rd in the nation in rushing ypg. Experience at UGA, Alabama, Arizona State.

(These are all out thin air. Looked at coaching staffs from top NCAA rushing teams that are, to my knowledge, not option style attacks.)

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I bet Fitz has a list too. Just needs to bite the bullet and get it done.

How about Bill Carmody? At least that guy can run an offense!

*ducks*

Why in the world do people keep bringing up Mike Kafka who probably has no interest whatsoever and seems to have a great future in the NFL.

Because our fan base loves swimming in its own bath water and has been conditioned to think the only quality assistant coaches in the coaching universe must have also gone to Northwestern. But the fact that Fitz generally seems to think the same thing probably doesn't help matters any.

Reactions: IGNORE and drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT