ADVERTISEMENT

If NU holds OSU under 60, …

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
…I will be pleasantly surprised.

OSU’s lowest B1G scoring output is 44. They scored 77 against Toledo.

This sucks so much.

Reactions: Titanium999
The thing with OSU is that they can absolutely go off on a team at any time. The PSU defense played about as well as they could and then OSU just DWARFED them in the 4th for 28 points. They scored 44 points and some of their fans are saying it was an underwhelming performance

The thing with OSU is that they can absolutely go off on a team at any time. The PSU defense played about as well as they could and then OSU just DWARFED them in the 4th for 28 points. They scored 44 points and some of their fans are saying it was an underwhelming performance

Not a dominant performance. Except by one of their defensive linemen.
They were up 30-24 with 6 minutes left. Then PSU fumbled on their own 24 and that led to a TD, followed immediately by a Pick-6. So, yeah, it wasn't a blow out. Penn State held them to 98 yards rushing and outgained them on offense.

Still, they can score 100 on us if they want to.

NU’s only real hope for this not happening is for OSU to decide to run the ball a lot, get up like 35-0 easily, then just decide they want to stay healthy and play at the slowest possible pace the rest of the way do they don’t get enough possessions to hit 60. This is sort of what they did vs Arkansas State where they scored on nearly every drive but just kinda throttled down and scored a sloppy 45.

Fitz will point out that OSU is a national championship-caliber team...just a matter of whether he starts that defense on Monday or waits for the post-game on Saturday.

I long for the day that the Wildcats score just 24 points and we say that was underwhelming.

They were up 30-24 with 6 minutes left. Then PSU fumbled on their own 24 and that led to a TD, followed immediately by a Pick-6. So, yeah, it wasn't a blow out. Penn State held them to 98 yards rushing and outgained them on offense.

Didn't say it was dominant. I just said that OSU can go off on a team at any given time - which they did with 28 fourth quarter points. I think their depth takes over in the close games. For whatever reason, PSU is the team that has given OSU their toughest games over their last 10 to 12 years even though PSU has only won in 2016

I just don't see OSU running up the score with their front line players as they're having injury problems this year and won't risk any more injuries as they have their matchup with Michigan in their sites

They could leave their entire first string at home to rest up and avoid injury getting on and off the bus. Second and third string would beat us 31-13.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
They could leave their entire first string at home to rest up and avoid injury getting on and off the bus. Second and third string would beat us 31-13.
It will be interesting to see who plays at RB for OSU against Northwestern as both T. Henderson and Miyan Williams have had injury issues this year and both have missed multiple games which has resulted in having some trouble moving the ball on the ground.

They do have a talented true freshman RB - can't remember his name - who NU might see a lot since it's being reported that Williams had an injury that resulted in his arm in a cast after the PSU game

Didn't say it was dominant. I just said that OSU can go off on a team at any given time - which they did with 28 fourth quarter points. I think their depth takes over in the close games. For whatever reason, PSU is the team that has given OSU their toughest games over their last 10 to 12 years even though PSU has only won in 2016

I just don't see OSU running up the score with their front line players as they're having injury problems this year and won't risk any more injuries as they have their matchup with Michigan in their sites
OSU is kinda like the Blackhawks back when they were winning cups. They’re better than most everybody else, so they can just dominate you all day and usually win that way, but when they’re in a close one or even when they were getting outplayed most the game their offensive weapons were so explosive that they could get outshot 3-1 but then whoops, There goes Kane on a random break and bam, they just took the lead. They get like six shots to beat you since they can beat you all the normal ways but if those don’t work they can’t beat you several other ways too.

Reactions: rrdd2021

You are correct but if you look at the 4th quarter, the yardage comparison is staggering.

And the same thing happened to PSU two or three years ago in back-to-back seasons. In both years, PSU took double digit leads into the 4th quarter and - just like last week - OSU flat out laid the wood to them in the 4th resulting in 1-point wins both years. IT'S THEIR DEPTH taking over late. Teams can hang with OSU for a while, but doing it for 4 quarters is a different story

My point, sometimes yardage is misleading. Concentrate on the 4th quarter (crunch time) when everything is on the line

You are correct but if you look at the 4th quarter, the yardage comparison is staggering.

And the same thing happened to PSU two or three years ago in back-to-back seasons. In both years, PSU took double digit leads into the 4th quarter and - just like last week - OSU flat out laid the wood to them in the 4th resulting in 1-point wins both years. IT'S THEIR DEPTH taking over late. Teams can hang with OSU for a while, but doing it for 4 quarters is a different story

My point, sometimes yardage is misleading. Concentrate on the 4th quarter (crunch time) when everything is on the line
This was a strange game to watch as I felt that Day played it ultra conservative the first 3 quarters. Then when they had to turn it on, boy did they.

This was a strange game to watch as I felt that Day played it ultra conservative the first 3 quarters. Then when they had to turn it on, boy did they.
I sort of feel like OSU was close to lighting it up isn’t if the game before they finally went nuclear. OSU had theee first half field goal attempts plus the screwed up opportunity for points at the end where they fumbled their end zone play and ran out of time for a chip shot field goal. They were close to opening the game up repeatedly in there, but they were making some big mistakes at the end of drives and PSU was doing enough to keep them within distance. OSU’s defense isn’t perfect, so Penn State was able to get their counter punches in while OSU ****ed around despite having a bunch of chances to end it.

Then… OSU just ended it. Decisively.

We are going to lose to Bucky “Bigly”.

I worry about losing streaks but also the size of defeats could lead to detrimental consequences that the program is perceived as being not competitive. Right now the Big Ten is a golden goose for our program allowing us to receive funds that realistically do not reflect the state of our competitiveness. Some have mentioned the potential for funding based on some kind of tiered model maybe based on factors like attendance, fund-raising, tv market, etc. This would be a first step and red flag. As fans and alums we should be aware that this funding golden goose may be cooked over a prolonged period of perceived non-competiveness. We should be worried not only about strings of losses but also the size of losses mounting up. This combination will lead many to question the ability of the program to be competitive in the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT