ADVERTISEMENT

If the Big Ten really wants to break into Texas, the best bet is A&M

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
A&M already left a conference once to get away from Texas, but now Texas is joining them again.

A&M is in the AAU, so they would be a good fit in that respect.

People are talking about Baylor? Barf.

The biggest problem is that A&M truly would be on an island, so if anybody cares about travel costs anymore, A&M might resist being lured away from a conference more representative of their region.

For the record, I think this is all terrible. I don't like any of it.

Reactions: mountaindrew
Personally I don’t think there’s anyone available in Texas that the conference should want.

Personally I don’t think there’s anyone available in Texas that the conference should want.
Are you saying that A&M is not available or that you don't think the conference should want them?

I don't want anybody from Texas or California or New Jersey. I'm not the one calling the shots.

Don't need the headache...

Think it'll be better if the SEC remains the Deep South conference and the B1G the rest.

That way, when the winners of each conference plays in the college equivalent of the SB, it'll mean that much more.

Don't need the headache...

Think it'll be better if the SEC remains the Deep South conference and the B1G the rest.

That way, when the winners of each conference plays in the college equivalent of the SB, it'll mean that much more.
What's driving this if not TV footprint and revenue? I always wanted conferences to be regional but we've already blown way past that.

Are you saying that A&M is not available or that you don't think the conference should want them?

I don't want anybody from Texas or California or New Jersey. I'm not the one calling the shots.
I’m not happy about realignment or expansion either. Given that it’s happening, and happening the way it is, the only school in Texas worth pursuing for the Big Ten is in Austin, and they aren’t available.

A&M already left a conference once to get away from Texas, but now Texas is joining them again.

The biggest problem is that A&M truly would be on an island, so if anybody cares about travel costs anymore, A&M might resist being lured away from a conference more representative of their region.

0% chance this happens. A&M has wanted to resume the annual Texas game before Texas was joining the league.
A&M bolted because Texas had actual power in the Big 12 that they won’t in the SEC. Not equal revenue distribution, Longhorn Network, Flags for horns down etc etc. They wouldn’t leave a cultural fit and force the rest of their programs into the Big Ten

^ This..,

Don't expect UCLA and USC to be on an island forever, plus they still have each other.

Along the same lines, Clemson and FSU aren't exactly a good fit as well.

^ This..,

Don't expect UCLA and USC to be on an island forever, plus they still have each other.

No, they’re a terrible fit and are perfect for an expanded SEC. Other PAC 12 schools have already contacted the Big Ten wanting in; I’m sure these include some or all of Washington & Oregon, Cal & Stanford. Not to mention schools in other conferences as well, but I haven’t heard anything yet.

^ This..,

Cal and Stanford are next.

Have to imagine Colorado, Utah, ASU, and AZ go to the Big 12 at some point. The Northwest schools are the interesting next pieces out west (Washington, Washington State, Oregon State and most importantly Oregon.)

Reactions: Alan Smithee
Cal and Stanford are next.

Have to imagine Colorado, Utah, ASU, and AZ go to the Big 12 at some point. The Northwest schools are the interesting next pieces out west (Washington, Washington State, Oregon State and most importantly Oregon.)
Disagree on Cal and Stanford being next. All they would do is take a portion of revenue because they wouldn’t add enough themselves.
Stanford would have a shot if they are the final piece to bring ND in.

Disagree on Cal and Stanford being next. All they would do is take a portion of revenue because they wouldn’t add enough themselves.
I’m seeing reports that Washington & Oregon have already expressed interest in joining. Those are the schools that make the most sense football-wise and therefore revenue wise, but they aren’t the best fits otherwise, compared to Cal and Stanford. But football and revenue will carry the day.

I’m seeing reports that Washington & Oregon have already expressed interest in joining. Those are the schools that make the most sense football-wise and therefore revenue wise, but they aren’t the best fits otherwise, compared to Cal and Stanford. But football and revenue will carry the day.
Every school west of the Mississippi is going to express interest. It’s their lifeline at this point. If they can bring the expected revenue they could get an invite, if not the B1G will likely hold imo.
ND is the next chip to fall. They hold Dr. Jim amd the ACC in a vice grip at the moment.

Every school west of the Mississippi is going to express interest. It’s their lifeline at this point. If they can bring the expected revenue they could get an invite, if not the B1G will likely hold imo.
ND is the next chip to fall. They hold Dr. Jim amd the ACC in a vice grip at the moment.
Agree for sure with the first half. What made an impression on me is the fact that it all happened in a matter of a couple of hours. Just to make the necessary phone calls and meetings happen that quickly means it was essentially a reflex. A no-brainer.

Cal because of the politics of the UC system. I suspect it is baked into the UCLA part of the deal, but don't know all of the behind-the-scenes details with who has what contractual obligations.

Will be interesting to see if Oregon and Washington are able to leave their less desirable State brethren behind, but the TV markets that Cal and Stanford bring in addition to the prestige branding they offer is significantly higher than Washington. Oregon brings Nike money and football prestige, but don't bring a huge TV market.

Arguably everyone is available. I hear Feral, but why go after TAMU when you can go after Texas? The ink ain’t even dry on their papers to head to the SEC. B1G plus Texas with the LA schools just might be more interesting than the SEC and more academically a fit. With Texas u can pull OU (if you want them) and ND. Checkmate.

Cal because of the politics of the UC system. I suspect it is baked into the UCLA part of the deal, but don't know all of the behind-the-scenes details with who has what contractual obligations.

Will be interesting to see if Oregon and Washington are able to leave their less desirable State brethren behind, but the TV markets that Cal and Stanford bring in addition to the prestige branding they offer is significantly higher than Washington. Oregon brings Nike money and football prestige, but don't bring a huge TV market.

If OU can leave behind Opie St. and UCLA, Cal, don't see why it would be an issue for UDub and Oregon to leave behind their State counterparts.

UDub and Oregon may not be able to bring in the additional $100 million needed per school and no way that Stanford/Cal would do that (in today's viewing reality, desirable matchups are more important than pop. bases/TV markets).

Nationally, more viewers would put on a Ducks/Wisconsin game than a Cal/Iowa game.

Guess Phil Knight can always try to entice/bribe the B1G with a lucrative (9 figure?) conference endorsement deal (tho wouldn't make Under Armour very happy).

Seems like the B1G will stay pat for now; makes sense as the next round of expansion will revolve around what the Domers (whether we like it or not) will do.

Last edited:

• Haha
Reactions: FeralFelidae
TAMU isn't leaving the SEC
Keep an eye on ND, the time might be right for them finally.
Washington & Oregon just might be teams 17 & 18

Stay tuned more tremors coming

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT