ADVERTISEMENT

If you think the problem is "team speed/talent" on defense, go back and watch the Auburn game.

zeek55

Nov 21, 2010
Or watch *any* game where we're up against a big program that has a team speed advantage against us.

How were we able to slow those teams and keep the total yardage down by taking away one of their strengths (passing or rushing)? How were we able to at least contain them in the red zone to prevent them from putting up a lot of points? Just watch the tape; players were in the right spots to make plays; the scheme worked under Hank. That's the difference between Hank and JON. Our players were in the right position to make plays when it mattered to force 4th downs and punts.

Auburn went 2 for 13 against us on 3rd down.

That is the difference between an all-time great defensive coordinator and what we're seeing with JON (literally the worst defensive coordinator in college football?). Of course, Hank is impossible to find another of, but the reality is just that we're going to need a great defensive coordinator to make Fitz's philosophy work. Our players need to be in the right position to make plays or we're going to look really bad; like we don't even belong at this level of football with JON at the helm of the defense.

Nebraska put up 657 yards of total offense against us. Michigan State put up 511 yards. Duke put up 558 yards of offense... yes that Duke the same one that lost to Charlotte and got blown out by UNC last night 38-7. The talent on this team isn't so measurably different from previous years that we should be seeing this total cratering on the defensive side of the ball.

I'll add that the Dline and secondary we had in that game was roughly comparable in talent to the ones we have now. Sure, there's been fall-off in the linebackers. But the difference between now and then cannot be blamed solely on lack of talent.

I'll add that the Dline and secondary we had in that game was roughly comparable in talent to the ones we have now. Sure, there's been fall-off in the linebackers. But the difference between now and then cannot be blamed solely on lack of talent.
Yeah that's the problem here; we've gone from a top 10 defense in FBS to a bottom 10 defense.
There's no way that just talent dropoff can explain that given it's been 1 year and much of the talent level on that side of the ball is similar to last year's team.

The majority of our defensive issues are coaching related.

We've had 3 of the worst defensive outings of the last 15 years in just the last 5 games.

Well, Day eventually figured out why their D got gashed by opponents run game despite all the blue-chip recruits.

I’m re-watching the game just to see exactly how out of position our players are on defense. Nebraska has 3rd and 2 on our 31 yard line with about 5 minutes left in the first quarter. They are up 14-0.

On that 3rd and 2, our NG(Spivak) is lined up in a 2i(inside shoulder of RG) and our DT(Gold) is lined up in a 3 tech(outside shoulder of LG). The defensive call has them both slanting outside to each B gap(between guard and tackle). As a 3tech, Gold is already in the B gap but for some reason he’s slanting even further outside. We’re also in nickel at the time so we have 5 dbacks and 2 linebackers who are Bergin and Gallagher.

By slanting Spivak and Gold to the B gaps you are saying that Bergin and Gallagher damn well better fit both A gaps. And then we run a stunt with both LBs where our Mike(Gallagher) shoots the opposite A gap and twists with Bergin who loops around to his opposite A gap. All of this on 3rd and 2!

Of course Nebraska’s center is free to get up to backer easily because both Spivak and Gold have vacated the A gaps and with Gallagher and Bergin dickin around with a stunt(that doesn’t start until after the snap and is slow to develop).

They show a replay from the end zone and you see just how huge of a hole is created by having your 2 big guys in the middle slanting hard outside. All the center has to do is wall off Gallagher which makes the running back cut off of that block and then Bergin takes himself out of the play, or I should say the stunt takes him out of the play and it’s an easy 7 yard gain for a first down.

Nebraska has 2 offensive linemen completely untouched with a free release to each backer so right away Gallagher and Bergin are at a disadvantage but then they are messing around with a game which was poorly timed so they have no chance to aggressively take on blocks and make a play. Really poor design on 3rd and short and I’m sure just one example of many poorly designed calls throughout the game.

Last edited:
I’m re-watching the game just to see exactly how out of position our players are on defense. Nebraska has 3rd and 2 on our 31 yard line with about 5 minutes left in the first quarter. They are up 14-0.

Is this the play you're talking about? It's doomed before the snap.

(Starts at 4:03 in this clip.)

But... "6 consecutive shutout quarters"!
*pukes*

On that 3rd and 2, our NG(Spivak) is lined up in a 2i(inside shoulder of RG) and our DT(Gold) is lined up in a 3 tech(outside shoulder of LG). The defensive call has them both slanting outside to each B gap(between guard and tackle). As a 3tech, Gold is already in the B gap but for some reason he’s slanting even further outside. We’re also in nickel at the time so we have 5 dbacks and 2 linebackers who are Bergin and Gallagher.

By slanting Spivak and Gold to the B gaps you are saying that Bergin and Gallagher damn well better fit both A gaps. And then we run a stunt with both LBs where our Mike(Gallagher) shoots the opposite A gap and twists with Bergin who loops around to his opposite A gap. All of this on 3rd and 2!

Of course Nebraska’s center is free to get up to backer easily because both Spivak and Gold have vacated the A gaps and with Gallagher and Bergin dickin around with a stunt(that doesn’t start until after the snap and is slow to develop).

They show a replay from the end zone and you see just how huge of a hole is created by having your 2 big guys in the middle slanting hard outside. All the center has to do is wall off Gallagher which makes the running back cut off of that block and then Bergin takes himself out of the play, or I should say the stunt takes him out of the play and it’s an easy 7 yard gain for a first down.

Nebraska has 2 offensive linemen completely untouched with a free release to each backer so right away Gallagher and Bergin are at a disadvantage but then they are messing around with a game which was poorly timed so they have no chance to aggressively take on blocks and make a play. Really poor design on 3rd and short and I’m sure just one example of many poorly designed calls throughout the game.
This is one of the best posts I've seen these past couple of weeks. Thank you for looking at this.

Exactly the analysis we need.

Interesting. I see exactly what you mean in that video clip. I also noticed multiple times where it seems like our defensive end would just crash down the line of scrimmage and basically slam into the offensive lineman on the interior. I couldn't figure out what the point of it was. The outcome, however, was that we lost all contain on the edge because the DE basically gave himself up like a kamakazi bomber. Sadly, our LBs were too slow to get to the outside to provide any contain and our DBs were either running down the field in coverage or getting blocked out of the way. It just made no sense, though I'm the first to admit I know nothing about defensive schemes.

Reactions: rogerkim and NUCats
Interesting. I see exactly what you mean in that video clip. I also noticed multiple times where it seems like our defensive end would just crash down the line of scrimmage and basically slam into the offensive lineman on the interior. I couldn't figure out what the point of it was. The outcome, however, was that we lost all contain on the edge because the DE basically gave himself up like a kamakazi bomber. Sadly, our LBs were too slow to get to the outside to provide any contain and our DBs were either running down the field in coverage or getting blocked out of the way. It just made no sense, though I'm the first to admit I know nothing about defensive schemes.
I'm the second to admit. In the vein of "I don't know about art, but I know what I like"...it doesn't seem that complex to scheme to have a player near enough to the ball carrier to make contact. If they make great blocks, or break tackles or outrun us, that sucks, but it's because they are better or just did their job better. We've had around a decade where we were tough, smart, disciplined, nose to the football, 'ya gotta kill us to beat us'. Often it works, other times teams can just dominate us. But...this series of games in which people have no chance, or no ability - others can decide - to even have a legitimate tackle attempt on the ball carrier, that's unacceptable.

I remember a play against OSU or Utah, ICR which. Alonzo Mayo was beaten on the play. I watched the replay from the endzone looking back. His eyes were burning through the receiver in pursuit. He knew he was beaten. The second the receiver got it, Mayo took him down. It doesn't sound like much. It was just another long gain against us, but to me, it exemplified our D. They were too disciplined to be destroyed. This D has lost their way. They need a shepherd. I think JON is a "sheep in sheep's clothing", to steal from Churchill

I'm glad you made me look for that play, because I was under the impression that Spivak didn't participate in the game! (no tackles, so not in box score)

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

Yes, exactly. You'd think if the DEs are going to crash, then the LB would adjust by lining up a step or two further outside, or slant outside on the snap... but ours don't do that. They line up straight over (across from) the OT. I've seen this again and again. DE crashes, ballcarrier reads it, cuts outside, and our LB can't get there, because he's lined up too far inside and/or stays in his gap until its too late. Easy big gain.

Maddening. C'mon, coaches, why has this continued, 1) for five games, 2) why are we getting schooled by mediocre opponents??!!??

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCats

I don't blame this on the DEs - they've done it too many times for it to be some kind execution mistake. It looks like they are being told to crash hard, and the scheme is supposed to have somebody else to provide contain.

I just looked at our 2020 defense compared to our 2021 defense.

We lost top tackler LB Paddy Fisher,#2 tackler LB Blake Gallagher, #5 tackler Safety JR Pace, #6 tackler DE Earnest Brown, #8 tackler CB Cam Ruiz, #12 tackler DT Jake Saunders, #13 tackler Eku Leota, and #14 tackler (and NFL 1st rounder) CB Greg Newsome.

Thats about 60% of our tackles and probably a bigger percentage of our defensive talent. At a quick glance that looks like a downgrade in 6 defensive starters and an upgrade in none...

Or watch *any* game where we're up against a big program that has a team speed advantage against us.

How were we able to slow those teams and keep the total yardage down by taking away one of their strengths (passing or rushing)? How were we able to at least contain them in the red zone to prevent them from putting up a lot of points? Just watch the tape; players were in the right spots to make plays; the scheme worked under Hank. That's the difference between Hank and JON. Our players were in the right position to make plays when it mattered to force 4th downs and punts.

Auburn went 2 for 13 against us on 3rd down.

That is the difference between an all-time great defensive coordinator and what we're seeing with JON (literally the worst defensive coordinator in college football?). Of course, Hank is impossible to find another of, but the reality is just that we're going to need a great defensive coordinator to make Fitz's philosophy work. Our players need to be in the right position to make plays or we're going to look really bad; like we don't even belong at this level of football with JON at the helm of the defense.

Nebraska put up 657 yards of total offense against us. Michigan State put up 511 yards. Duke put up 558 yards of offense... yes that Duke the same one that lost to Charlotte and got blown out by UNC last night 38-7. The talent on this team isn't so measurably different from previous years that we should be seeing this total cratering on the defensive side of the ball.
It is less experienced at several positions (we are replacing 5 starters, a lot to replace at one time) but as you say, talent level is similar.

We lost top tackler LB Paddy Fisher,#2 tackler LB Blake Gallagher, #5 tackler Safety JR Pace, #6 tackler DE Earnest Brown, #8 tackler CB Cam Ruiz, #12 tackler DT Jake Saunders, #13 tackler Eku Leota, and #14 tackler (and NFL 1st rounder) CB Greg Newsome.

Thats about 60% of our tackles and probably a bigger percentage of our defensive talent. At a quick glance that looks like a downgrade in 6 defensive starters and an upgrade in none...

That's normal... when more than half the defense are not just senior starters, but 2 or 3 plus year starters - like Fisher (4), Pace (4), Newsome (3) and Gallagher (3). You can't expect their replacements to be an upgrade right away. So no big deal there. What is not normal is how big the drop off is this year. And I, like most others here, just don't believe that McIntyre, Bryce G, Azema, Mitchell/Heard etc, are that much less talented than the guys who are gone.

So hopefully Fitz and staff figure this out pretty quick, and then more importantly, take the necessary action.

Let me put it this way - if Fitz is NOT going to make any significant adjustments JON-wise, PLEEEEEEEEEZE tell me now. I can't and will not watch any more crapfests like Saturday night.

Reactions: drewjin

We regained Samdup Miller, who, prior to this year, was on the level/trajectory of, say, Earnest Brown. The two inbound DL transfers are serviceable, between the two perhaps a slight drop off from Saunders/Leota 2020, but you kinda want the 2nd string 2020 guys to step up too. Newsome played around 50%(?) of the time, and was lights out when he did, but we didn't fall of the edge of the Earth in games he was out. Pace is clearly a net loss, and the two LB's are a HUGE loss. Nobody is disputing the grad losses/transfers. Pundits have been shouting it from the rooftops for 6 months. What people can't get their heads around is how big the drop-off is. We went from first to worst. For comparison, we had a huge offense drop off in 2019, but one cannot argue that we went from "first" to worst. Mediocre to worst - which sucked. also we did hear "never again", eh?

Here's a fun fact for you:

In 2016, our #2 tackler was Anthony Walker, who had 105 tackles. He declared for the NFL Draft after the season.

In 2017, our #1 tackler was... Paddy Fisher, with 111, after not recording a single tackle the prior year.

Another:

Godwin was #1 and #3 in tackles in 2016 and 2017. In 2018, J.R. Pace and Travis Whillock burst onto the scene and finished #3 and #4 on the team.

I could give you any number of examples of seamless succession on the D-line as well. Point being: Hank's defenses have always more or less "reloaded" and put the next guy up in a position to succeed. JON is setting them up to fail.

Here's a fun fact for you:

In 2016, our #2 tackler was Anthony Walker, who had 105 tackles. He declared for the NFL Draft after the season.

In 2017, our #1 tackler was... Paddy Fisher, with 111, after not recording a single tackle the prior year.

Another:

Godwin was #1 and #3 in tackles in 2016 and 2017. In 2018, J.R. Pace and Travis Whillock burst onto the scene and finished #3 and #4 on the team.

I could give you any number of examples of seamless succession on the D-line as well. Point being: Hank's defenses have always more or less "reloaded" and put the next guy up in a position to succeed. JON is setting them up to fail.
This is the biggest issue. Nobody seriously believes that the defense would look this bad (giving up 500+ yards to any opponent with a pulse) with Hank in charge.

Yes we may have taken a step back at LB, but there's enough talent on the roster for at least a workable defense.

Coaching is the main reason our defense has fallen from top 10 to bottom 10 in FBS in a single year.

You're right, it's a significant loss, but it's not as bad as it looks in that quick glance.

Brown - sat behind Sam Miller for three years on the depth chart. Miller hasn't looked great this year, but why? He started as a true Freshman. Do we really think he's just rusty or something?

Cam Ruiz - Did not play in the Auburn game and basically got beat out by the guys playing now.

Saunders - He started last year behind Kent & Gold and moved up due to injuries to Kent & Gold, who are back this year. Big Country has been playing since the first game although he's missed some time with minor injuries. With the addition of Meiser, who's looked good individually, we shouldn't be seeing a huge drop-off here.

Leota - Did not play in the Auburn game, as pointed out in the OP.

Newsome - Did not play in the Auburn game and missed a lot of other snaps during the season. No doubt he was a huge part of last year's stellar defense stats, but this post started out by talking about how Newsome, Leota, and Ruiz didn't play against Auburn and we managed that game just fine.

Losing Pace has hurt more than expected, but the big, big, drop-off is really at LB.

You're right, it's a significant loss, but it's not as bad as it looks in that quick glance.

Brown - sat behind Sam Miller for three years on the depth chart. Miller hasn't looked great this year, but why? He started as a true Freshman. Do we really think he's just rusty or something?

Cam Ruiz - Did not play in the Auburn game and basically got beat out by the guys playing now.

Saunders - He started last year behind Kent & Gold and moved up due to injuries to Kent & Gold, who are back this year. Big Country has been playing since the first game although he's missed some time with minor injuries. With the addition of Meiser, who's looked good individually, we shouldn't be seeing a huge drop-off here.

Leota - Did not play in the Auburn game, as pointed out in the OP.

Newsome - Did not play in the Auburn game and missed a lot of other snaps during the season. No doubt he was a huge part of last year's stellar defense stats, but this post started out by talking about how Newsome, Leota, and Ruiz didn't play against Auburn and we managed that game just fine.

Losing Pace has hurt more than expected, but the big, big, drop-off is really at LB.
Thanks for the additional details. We just seem to have lost the hitting that was put on our opponents by Pace, Gallagher and Fisher... and we end up the wrong side of the physical battles.

Any OC worth a damn is going to check to a run play if you get 2 high safeties on 3rd and 2, especially with how Nebraska was running the ball already that game. So that's a flaw in the call, even though post snap it did look like we rotated down...the late rotation suggests we were disguising one thing so we could do another, but we didn't accomplish that "another" at all.

Given the offensive play call, the defensive game up front isn't a bad one on the surface. Widening the interior DL creates more space inside for the twist game to work, i.e. the 2 LB's twisting to take opposite A gaps from their original alignment. One LB goes fast, draws the center's attention to one side, the widening DL attracts the guard to that side, and the hole pops open on the other side of the center where the 2nd LB comes through, right off the hip of the first LB. In theory, since we're working interior line, it's (or it should be) a 2 on 1 with the LB's on the center if no one peels off.

Nebraska had a wrap/dart play called, where the left tackle pulls and is going to kick/drive first threat in A gap. What doomed this play post-snap was the unbelievably slow twist from the two linebackers. The delay in starting the twist allowed the center to get completely downhill before even encountering resistance the tackle quickly settled in behind him. They didn't really even need to get solid blocks on the 2 LB's to get the first down. What you really want to see are the 2 interior DL ripping through outside shoulder (not going around the block) to maintain a small-ish hole up the middle, then make the center choose in the 2 on 1. If we do that correctly, the center has to move to his right (I think it was, as Bergin was supposed to go weak A gap) and that should have freed Gallagher to hit strong A gap, where he likely would have encountered that pulling tackle. It's possible they still would have gotten a first down, but it might have made the RB slow his feet a bit and possibly give the rest of our defense a chance to make a play.

Any OC worth a damn is going to check to a run play if you get 2 high safeties on 3rd and 2, especially with how Nebraska was running the ball already that game. So that's a flaw in the call, even though post snap it did look like we rotated down...the late rotation suggests we were disguising one thing so we could do another, but we didn't accomplish that "another" at all.

Given the offensive play call, the defensive game up front isn't a bad one on the surface. Widening the interior DL creates more space inside for the twist game to work, i.e. the 2 LB's twisting to take opposite A gaps from their original alignment. One LB goes fast, draws the center's attention to one side, the widening DL attracts the guard to that side, and the hole pops open on the other side of the center where the 2nd LB comes through, right off the hip of the first LB. In theory, since we're working interior line, it's (or it should be) a 2 on 1 with the LB's on the center if no one peels off.

Nebraska had a wrap/dart play called, where the left tackle pulls and is going to kick/drive first threat in A gap. What doomed this play post-snap was the unbelievably slow twist from the two linebackers. The delay in starting the twist allowed the center to get completely downhill before even encountering resistance the tackle quickly settled in behind him. They didn't really even need to get solid blocks on the 2 LB's to get the first down. What you really want to see are the 2 interior DL ripping through outside shoulder (not going around the block) to maintain a small-ish hole up the middle, then make the center choose in the 2 on 1. If we do that correctly, the center has to move to his right (I think it was, as Bergin was supposed to go weak A gap) and that should have freed Gallagher to hit strong A gap, where he likely would have encountered that pulling tackle. It's possible they still would have gotten a first down, but it might have made the RB slow his feet a bit and possibly give the rest of our defense a chance to make a play.
Yep, the twist was so poorly run and/or designed that it completely gave the center an easy block on Gallagher and it also caused Bergin to take himself out of the play because the RB did his job and cut off the centers block.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT