ADVERTISEMENT

Ignorant question forthcoming

phatcat

Nov 5, 2001
Wisconsin
I am a VERY Occasional basketball fan. Maybe it has been beaten to death already.

Could it be that they play in a mausoleum? Do they a) practice elsewhere and then are essentially playing every game in an unfamiliar place or b) 2 x 1 hour bus rides every day to/from practice?

Not looking for excuses for them. Just... WTH. Reminds me of when we were saying that the shoes were causing the injuries. It's a visible changed factor

I am a VERY Occasional basketball fan. Maybe it has been beaten to death already.

Could it be that they play in a mausoleum? Do they a) practice elsewhere and then are essentially playing every game in an unfamiliar place or b) 2 x 1 hour bus rides every day to/from practice?

Not looking for excuses for them. Just... WTH. Reminds me of when we were saying that the shoes were causing the injuries. It's a visible changed factor
Where they play and practice has almost no reason for this terrible seasons performance. It's is happening because the seniors are under performing and there is something going wrong with the teams chemistry. These guys are just not getting along and they really don't seem to care. Thankfully their will be five new guys coming aboard next season and I wouldn't' t be surprised if a couple of the others leave as well.

Reactions: haywood jahblowme
Allstate has been a big factor. As much as the tiny crowds and dark atmosphere shouldn’t affect a veteran team, these are 20-year-olds who do get affected by the energy (or not) and the stress of going back and forth for “Home” games. I also think the different depth of field and general unfamiliarity with Allstate hurts our shooting.

Allstate has been a big factor. As much as the tiny crowds and dark atmosphere shouldn’t affect a veteran team, these are 20-year-olds who do get affected by the energy (or not) and the stress of going back and forth for “Home” games. I also think the different depth of field and general unfamiliarity with Allstate hurts our shooting.

They do equally crappy on the road too.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Cincinnati was ranked right about where we were preseason and playing at NKU hasn’t slowed them down at all.

It’s not apples to apples, but it’s similar enough that I think the problem is we’re just not playing good basketball this year.

Cincinnati was ranked right about where we were preseason and playing at NKU hasn’t slowed them down at all.

It’s not apples to apples, but it’s similar enough that I think the problem is we’re just not playing good basketball this year.

And we're getting consistently blown out on the road, which also does not lend any support to the notion that Allstate is the problem.

Cincinnati is my second favorite team. Cincinnati is waaay better than we are and has incredible depth. They can run out 10 guys and often just wear other teams down. NU isn't built that way (yet). Our purple Cats have to be nearly perfect to succeed which makes last season all the more remarkable.

I'll be switching off til the BTT. Boo.

I won’t. Seeing last night’s effort gave me hope. Home against Penn State and @Minnesota are both winnable. Win those and it sets up a clash @Michigan to get back to .500

We’ve seen how momentum works in college basketball. Would have been a hell of a spark to pull out the W yesterday, but there are still opportunities to salvage this season and regain the mojo before the BTT.

I don't get this 'switching off'. Part of why I'm a fan is the individuals who make up the team. These are the last games I'll get to see several of them play and I wouldn't want to miss it. Even if we tank terribly for the rest of the year, there will be moments worth seeing.

Reactions: DaCat
I don't get this 'switching off'. Part of why I'm a fan is the individuals who make up the team. These are the last games I'll get to see several of them play and I wouldn't want to miss it. Even if we tank terribly for the rest of the year, there will be moments worth seeing.

I've always got games against Michigan, Vandy, and Gonzaga recorded. :)

I won’t. Seeing last night’s effort gave me hope. Home against Penn State and @Minnesota are both winnable. Win those and it sets up a clash @Michigan to get back to .500

We’ve seen how momentum works in college basketball. Would have been a hell of a spark to pull out the W yesterday, but there are still opportunities to salvage this season and regain the mojo before the BTT.
Agree completely. This is a fan board! Remember the football team reeled off 8 in a row. The team needs our support, and they can pull it together.

Reactions: DaCat

What does "salvage this season" mean, though?

What does "salvage this season" mean, though?

At this point ... win some games, show some pride, leave NU with the good feelings and acclaim this senior class deserves. The NIT would have been a disappointment in November but it'd be a pleasant surprise now.

Reactions: EagerFan
I believe I heard they stay in a hotel prior to playing. Pretty much like being on the road. While they may practice there on occasion, can't be too often. The student section last night was almost nonexistent. While Allstate shouldn't affect road games, the lack of a home base and comfort factor it could provide may affect road performance making it more of an uphill battle than normal.

Can't frickin' wait for the new place. If we had a home opener scheduled this early, I'd be counting the days already. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Fitz51
At this point ... win some games, show some pride, leave NU with the good feelings and acclaim this senior class deserves. The NIT would have been a disappointment in November but it'd be a pleasant surprise now.

Yes, exactly this. NU wanted to compete for championships. They still have the rest of the season to position for the Big Ten Tournament, and, absent a tourney win, to claw their way into the NIT.

Cincinnati is my second favorite team. Cincinnati is waaay better than we are and has incredible depth. They can run out 10 guys and often just wear other teams down. NU isn't built that way (yet). Our purple Cats have to be nearly perfect to succeed which makes last season all the more remarkable.
We had much more quality depth last year. Wasn't supposed to be that way but ...Rap being out coupled with Falzon having a problem recovering from injuries have taken what should have been a strength and turned it into a weakness. Also, Gaines is just getting enough development and comfort in the position to start to play meaningful minutes. We lost a starter and a 6th man and replaced with nothing really. Skelly was forced to be moved up to starter (and will solid as a 6th or 7th man, too many holes for 30 minutes that a starter logs) but there was nothing behind him to fill in. A part time (5-10 minutes a game) Falzon and 5 mpg to date Gaines. Good news is that Gaines seems to be rounding into a 20+ minute guy and Falzon might be getting closer to 20 minutes as well (last game hopefully is the exception) Still short but not as short as we have been

ADVERTISEMENT