ADVERTISEMENT

Illini fire Cubit

I highly question anyone's sanity who's walked through Campustown or gone out in downtown Champaign the last few years and would describe it as a dump.
Is Radio Maria still around? That place was good. I know a brewmaster at Destihl, though he is in Bloomington. Their wares are quite good. And the Blind Pig makes we wish I could still drink large volumes of beer.

Lovie has to have a few million in the bank. So moving from warm Tampa to Champaign Urbana just baffles me.

It's a good to great hire by the Illini. But I wouldn't make that geographic move for all the tea in China. I'd head to deep water every day at about 8 am with one large thermos of coffee and another of Ice tea. And a few liver sausage sandwiches. And I'd catch Marlin for five or six hours before heading back in. Some days I'd take a nap out on the sea. Other days I'd waiting to get back to land before napping.

Neighboring St. Petersburg is also nice this time of year.

Undergraduate, NU is absolutely the best in the B1G. On a graduate level which may or may not be relevant to this discussion, not so much. Across the board NU cannot come close to claiming it has the best Grad Schools in the B1G, with a few exceptions.

My son is going into business. He also plans on getting his Masters. There are only two schools better than NU according to Forbes. Besides NU being a better school academically, have you been to Champaign ? Not being mean, what a dump. And to top things off they were ranked a top party school, not good.

http://www3.forbes.com/business/americas-best-business-schools-2015/19/
Ack! Stanford beat us in the ranking again! But fun to note that in football, we beat Duke and Stanford from that list.

Kellogg's rankings had tumbled several years ago, but they are on the rise again. Even jumped ahead of my U of Chicago Booth. Most be our 10-win season!

Seriously, I don't pay much attention to b-school rankings. Once you are in the top 20 or so, you are at a very good school with lots of opportunity. As we know, the rankings thing has gotten pretty lucrative as a media property.

I highly question anyone's sanity who's walked through Campustown or gone out in downtown Champaign the last few years and would describe it as a dump.
Driving to get to the school. The area around the school. I went to two games while my son was being recruited by the Illini, It was depressing before we even got in the stadium to watch a game. The stands were empty and had the recruits sit behind PSU bench so it looked better on television. Oh, and my son got food poisoning as well from the stadium food.But I want Illini to get better. I hope Lovie does a great job. We need the Illini and Purdue to step up and make the West good.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikewebb68
Ack! Stanford beat us in the ranking again! But fun to note that in football, we beat Duke and Stanford from that list.

Kellogg's rankings had tumbled several years ago, but they are on the rise again. Even jumped ahead of my U of Chicago Booth. Most be our 10-win season!

Seriously, I don't pay much attention to b-school rankings. Once you are in the top 20 or so, you are at a very good school with lots of opportunity. As we know, the rankings thing has gotten pretty lucrative as a media property.
It will be nice to brag about winning a B1G Championship at a top 3 University.Go Cat's

Driving to get to the school. The area around the school. I went to two games while my son was being recruited by the Illini, It was depressing before we even got in the stadium to watch a game. The stands were empty and had the recruits sit behind PSU bench so it looked better on television. Oh, and my son got food poisoning as well from the stadium food.But I want Illini to get better. I hope Lovie does a great job. We need the Illini and Purdue to step up and make the West good.
On a cold, damp fall or winter day, for some reason Champaign-Urbana is the most depressing place on earth--doesn't matter how nice the area is.

Reactions: CatsDad
thewildcat2011 commented:
Undergraduate, NU is absolutely the best in the B1G. On a graduate level which may or may not be relevant to this discussion, not so much. Across the board NU cannot come close to claiming it has the best Grad Schools in the B1G, with a few exceptions.

Touchy-touchy. With more of our recruits going on to grad school, this can be a factor. Wasn't it last year a recruit chose Illinois because of their engineering school--he wanted an advanced degree? So this does come into play sometimes.

It really was. We hated it and Ball State.

Purdue seemed like a dump to me. Minnesota was a dump! The artificial turf was so uncushioned and bare that it was like playing in a parking lot. Now they have the nicest stadium in the B1G.

Purdue seemed like a dump to me. Minnesota was a dump! The artificial turf was so uncushioned and bare that it was like playing in a parking lot. Now they have the nicest stadium in the B1G.
Purdue and the Illini were a lot alike I liked West Lafayette a little better than Champaign. They both look like good filming sites for The Walking Dead

Reactions: mikewebb68
Is Radio Maria still around? That place was good. I know a brewmaster at Destihl, though he is in Bloomington. Their wares are quite good. And the Blind Pig makes we wish I could still drink large volumes of beer.

It sure is, and yes I love Blind Pig. I think a lot of people who think Champaign was a dump (this really does baffle me) might feel differently if they went there now. Campustown and downtown are growing at a ridiculous rate. When the new Hyatt opened up downtown in 2014, there were like 30 bars and restaurants within 5 minutes and now it's above 50. I still need to try the brand new bar Barrelhouse 34, which has a rooftop patio. Campustown is also adding new businesses seemingly everyday.

It sure is, and yes I love Blind Pig. I think a lot of people who think Champaign was a dump (this really does baffle me) might feel differently if they went there now. Campustown and downtown are growing at a ridiculous rate. When the new Hyatt opened up downtown in 2014, there were like 30 bars and restaurants within 5 minutes and now it's above 50. I still need to try the brand new bar Barrelhouse 34, which has a rooftop patio. Campustown is also adding new businesses seemingly everyday.

Sounds like a pretty nice place if you want to spend all night bar-hopping and drinking, then sleeping off your hangover the next day. Which I'm not judging, don't get me wrong. But for the rest of the waking hours, it sounds like a dump

It isn't really fair of me to say that I guess. Just pulling into Champaign and going to the stadium. We never went on a tour of the campus.I am sorry if I offended you. Maybe we just didnt get a good feel because of the Beckman regime.

Interesting that this thread devolved into a lame discussion of university rankings. Nice job. Back to the thread topic: I follow Greenstein on Twitter—his oblique bashing of the Smith hire is getting almost comical. Transparent, anyway.

Interesting that this thread devolved into a lame discussion of university rankings. Nice job. Back to the thread topic: I follow Greenstein on Twitter—his oblique bashing of the Smith hire is getting almost comical. Transparent, anyway.
Oh dear, a new troll.

It isn't really fair of me to say that I guess. Just pulling into Champaign and going to the stadium. We never went on a tour of the campus.I am sorry if I offended you. Maybe we just didnt get a good feel because of the Beckman regime.
To bad you didn't go on a campus tour. The campus is great. Champaign itself is a bit tatty, but not the campus. But if your kid is at NU, you're justifiably proud.

Reactions: CatsDad
To bad you didn't go on a campus tour. The campus is great. Champaign itself is a bit tatty, but not the campus. But if your kid is at NU, you're justifiably proud.
The first school my son ever visited was the Illini. He visited as a Sophomore. The recruiting coordinator said my son was never going to be a D1 prospect that I may want to look at smaller schools. He got 18 D1 offers , Indiana, Northwestern, Wisconsin WVU, and 14 others , but never one from the Illini. I seriously hope Lovie does a great job. Be nice to have some good rivalry games. We need the whole West to get better so we can challenge the East.

Reactions: olshin
You clearly do not understand the dynamics of the relationship between the UI DIA and some of the money guys (who, to this point, have not put up "big money"). You also do not understand Whitman's background and the importance of having an "Illini" in this leadership position. The two are tied together.

You could have stopped at "You clearly do not understand". That pretty much sums up Willycat.

Reactions: NJCat83588
Lost in the unexpected turn of events is the fact that we never had time to give Bill Cubit a proper nickname befitting of his (former) position as head coach of the Illini. Something like Rubik's Cubit. Or maybe label his offense as "Cubism" because of how it perplexes defenses with its confusing, varied looks (reaching here).

You could have stopped at "You clearly do not understand". That pretty much sums up Willycat.
You know mike, there is a board rule on attacking fellow posters. So, what do you say
No it's actually you who doesn't want to understand, in your little self centered and rude world.

"Following his graduation from Illinois, Whitman pursued a professional playing career in the NFL. Over a four-year period, he spent time with the Buffalo Bills, San Diego Chargers, Seattle Seahawks and Miami Dolphins, as well as with the Frankfurt Galaxy of the now-defunct NFL Europe. He retired from the NFL following the 2004 season.

Whitman began his career in athletics administration with his alma mater, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where he served as the assistant to the athletic director from 2007-08 and as coordinator of special projects from 2005-07.

While at Illinois, Whitman was involved in numerous aspects of the athletic department’s operations, including development, marketing, sports information and communications, internal operations and student-athlete programs.

He also attended the University of Illinois College of Law, earning a juris doctoris, summa cum laude, in May 2008.

After graduating from law school, Whitman served as a law clerk for Judge M.S. Kanne of the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. He then joined the Washington, D.C., law firm of Covington & Burling, which has a nationally recognized sports practice and serves as the primary outside counsel to the National Football League.

Whitman is a member of the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics and remains licensed to practice law in Illinois and the District of Columbia."

https://source.wustl.edu/2014/06/josh-whitman-named-washington-university-new-athletics-director/

A lot of similarities to Mark Murphy's resume before he took the NU AD job.

I mean if I were Mark Murphy, I'd hire you to be the Packers head coach. Maybe then the Bears could win a game against Packers!

Hiring someone who never played serious football nor coached the game is much more something the Bears would do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT