ADVERTISEMENT

Illini quarterback Aaron Bailey to transfer

No. His release from Illinois will not allow him to transfer to a Big Ten school.

It's unbelievable that Illinois or any school can restrict where a kid wants to attend school. It's also being reported that they won't let him transfer to any school that they play out of conference for the next three years.

Originally posted by willycat:
It's unbelievable that Illinois or any school can restrict where a kid wants to attend school. It's also being reported that they won't let him transfer to any school that they play out of conference for the next three years.
These restrictions are basically the norm when schools "allow" a player to transfer these days.

Originally posted by willycat:
Think of the poaching that would take place if there were no restrictions. Just when you thought you had developed a really dominant O lineman, he would be the missing piece in the puzzle for one of the top ten and have a chance to play for the National Championship. I think that would get ugly.

maybe deering but a kid transfereing still must sit out a year as "punishment". Coaches on the other hand can leave a school on the drop of the hat and start working at the new school just as soon as the ink is dry.

I'm pretty sure it's a Big Ten by-law that scholarship players cannot receive a scholarship from another Big Ten school. They can play if they pay their own way after sitting out a year.

Originally posted by BayAreaWildcat:
I'm pretty sure it's a Big Ten by-law that scholarship players cannot receive a scholarship from another Big Ten school. They can play if they pay their own way after sitting out a year.
That used to be the rule, but it changed a few years ago. Now the player can receive a scholarship but he loses a year of eligibility at the back end.

Tribune alluded to him not wanting to sit out a year, so likely going to division 2 or whatever that is referred to as these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT