ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois get 5Star QB Commit?

So excuse my untrained eye, but would I be correct in saying the throws on there showed meh arm strength but since there weren't too many highlights of him dropping back there would be some suspect to his arm?
Does anyone think he's really 5-10?

So excuse my untrained eye, but would I be correct in saying the throws on there showed meh arm strength but since there weren't too many highlights of him dropping back there would be some suspect to his arm?

He was never a "flamethrower," but his arm was certainly good enough to be a true passing threat... especially given his mobility. His arm strength never really came back 100% after his pretty much catastrophic shoulder injury his senior year.

Reactions: ThatkidfromHolland
He was never a "flamethrower," but his arm was certainly good enough to be a true passing threat... especially given his mobility. His arm strength never really came back 100% after his pretty much catastrophic shoulder injury his senior year.

Which of course prompted Stanford to dump him like damaged goods. Harbag was and continues to be a tool.

Which of course prompted Stanford to dump him like damaged goods. Harbag was and continues to be a tool.

And then he advocated player unions and we kind of dumped him like damaged goods...

I really think he deserved more of a shot in the league, and a better legacy in the minds of NU fans, this guy shredded some teams

Reactions: willycat
Oh I was talking about colter (Google lists at 6'0) in that video sorry it was OT. I just was curious about something.
Sorry about the confusion, as I was referring to Williams, who they list at 5-10, 160. Doubt he's even close to 6'0 and probably not near 160 soaking wet. I predict: he will never be a starting QB at any Power 5 school. he might be good at WR/punt returner, who knows.

Sorry about the confusion, as I was referring to Williams, who they list at 5-10, 160. Doubt he's even close to 6'0 and probably not near 160 soaking wet. I predict: he will never be a starting QB at any Power 5 school. he might be good at WR/punt returner, who knows.
I wouldn’t be so sure. He isn’t big, but he sure is elusive and fast. It all depends on how he can take a hit. You would think it wouldn’t be his best position especially if he has professional designs.

I wouldn’t be so sure. He isn’t big, but he sure is elusive and fast. It all depends on how he can take a hit. You would think it wouldn’t be his best position especially if he has professional designs.
A 5-9, 150lb. QB will not play in the Big Ten.

And then he advocated player unions and we kind of dumped him like damaged goods...

I really think he deserved more of a shot in the league, and a better legacy in the minds of NU fans, this guy shredded some teams

The way he advocated player unions was by portraying Fitz and the program in a negative light, and somewhat dishonestly, to push his own agenda. He definitely could've done it differently but ended up tainting his legacy at NU by the way he tried to throw his school under the bus.

Also, I don't see the relationship between his efforts to unionize and him not getting more of a shot in the league that "he deserved" whatever that means.

Reactions: Aging Booster
Illinois gets commitment from five-star QB recruit Isaiah Williams. Apparently they hired his High School Coach as an Assistant Coach. Lovie knows how to play the game.
Where did the fifth star come from? Rivals shows 4 on Illinois commitment list.

The way he advocated player unions was by portraying Fitz and the program in a negative light, and somewhat dishonestly, to push his own agenda. He definitely could've done it differently but ended up tainting his legacy at NU by the way he tried to throw his school under the bus.

Also, I don't see the relationship between his efforts to unionize and him not getting more of a shot in the league that "he deserved" whatever that means.

Sorry but totally disagree with your thoughts. Calling Fitz "boss" was just another way saying the HC and The "boss" wasn't upset by it. No way in hell did he throw the tam under the bus, he just strongly advocated for injury awareness and long term health care, which has helped all college football players. Do agree that it didn't have any bearing on his future in the NFL. Maybe if he would have played more WR at NU his NFL experience would have been better.

Sorry but totally disagree with your thoughts. Calling Fitz "boss" was just another way saying the HC and The "boss" wasn't upset by it. No way in hell did he throw the tam under the bus, he just strongly advocated for injury awareness and long term health care, which has helped all college football players. Do agree that it didn't have any bearing on his future in the NFL. Maybe if he would have played more WR at NU his NFL experience would have been better.

His testimony did not go over well with the program (players and coaches alike), plus he didn't do himself any favors with how he went about getting the required votes, etc.

Kain did not paint a very flattering picture of the NU football program, needlessly exaggerating the negatives in order to help his agenda. So yes, he did throw the program under the bus. Of all the football programs out there, NU is probably at the top of "doing it right" in terms of helping athletes be successful on and off the field, and especially after graduation.

Kain did not paint a very flattering picture of the NU football program, needlessly exaggerating the negatives in order to help his agenda. So yes, he did throw the program under the bus. Of all the football programs out there, NU is probably at the top of "doing it right" in terms of helping athletes be successful on and off the field, and especially after graduation.
You do understand that organizing college football players could only be attempted at private university's, right? State programs had to be exempted for now. He also succeeded to help college players at all NCAA programs, including NU. Your "throwing the program under bus" is just not the truth.

You do understand that organizing college football players could only be attempted at private university's, right? State programs had to be exempted for now. He also succeeded to help college players at all NCAA programs, including NU. Your "throwing the program under bus" is just not the truth.

It 100% caused a divide in the 'clubhouse'. It turned into a white/black thing...

Patently false.

It 100% caused a divide in the 'clubhouse'. It turned into a white/black thing...
Do you mean racially or just a dichotomy perspective

GCG just about covered it.

First true head-to-head (meaning we both had offers that would be commitable) in many years.

I know you don't think any of them stick, but even if Williams decommits, they are going to have their best class in 10+ years. We laughed at the StL coach hiring, but he is doing exactly what they bought him for.

That said, I don't think Lovie has nearly the rope others think he does, and agree that yet another dumpster fire of a season may make me eat my words.

His testimony did not go over well with the program (players and coaches alike), plus he didn't do himself any favors with how he went about getting the required votes, etc.
Did the majority of NU football players favor to unionize?

First true head-to-head (meaning we both had offers that would be commitable) in many years.

I know you don't think any of them stick, but even if Williams decommits, they are going to have their best class in 10+ years. We laughed at the StL coach hiring, but he is doing exactly what they bought him for.

That said, I don't think Lovie has nearly the rope others think he does, and agree that yet another dumpster fire of a season may make me eat my words.

I don’t think anyone really laughed at the Patterson hiring except to think that getting 3-4 kids from Trinity won’t meaningfull overhaul a program that’s VERY short on talent.

I don’t think anyone really laughed at the Patterson hiring except to think that getting 3-4 kids from Trinity won’t meaningfull overhaul a program that’s VERY short on talent.

I think it is likely that they will get at least 5 4 stars this year. That is as many as NU has on the entire team. At least 3 will be a direct result of Patterson, so hire justified. Like you, I wasn’t sold on the Fighting Lovie’s class last year, including their 4 stars. The first two they got in this cycle are legit.

To me, the difference that separates NU is the staff’s ability to grab underrecruited 3 stars and make them multiple year starters. We are finally deep in most positions I would like NU to grab a couple legit 4 stars each year too.

The Fighting Lovie’s are now doing a job of selling the “ we are so bad, you will play a lot first year” pitch. That will evolve to “ be the group that puts us over the top”. They have no choice but to sell this pitch this year because the prospects will see how bad the product is on the field. If they hang on to the recruits this will be fun. It is so much better beating the Lovie’s when their fans expect to them to be a power.

I think it is likely that they will get at least 5 4 stars this year. That is as many as NU has on the entire team. At least 3 will be a direct result of Patterson, so hire justified. Like you, I wasn’t sold on the Fighting Lovie’s class last year, including their 4 stars. The first two they got in this cycle are legit.

To me, the difference that separates NU is the staff’s ability to grab underrecruited 3 stars and make them multiple year starters. We are finally deep in most positions I would like NU to grab a couple legit 4 stars each year too.

The Fighting Lovie’s are now doing a job of selling the “ we are so bad, you will play a lot first year” pitch. That will evolve to “ be the group that puts us over the top”. They have no choice but to sell this pitch this year because the prospects will see how bad the product is on the field. If they hang on to the recruits this will be fun. It is so much better beating the Lovie’s when their fans expect to them to be a power.

It might be fun... in 2-3 years once those kids grow up a bit. And if Lovie is still around so they don’t transfer.

My thoughts from another thread:

I also think Williams is a tremendous athlete that would be extremely successful as an "offensive athlete" and returner, but have serious doubts about his ability to play QB in the B1G given his stature, playing style, and arm talent. Seldom do you see him making the throws he will have to make at the P5 level, as he's mostly chucking the ball up to wideouts who are simply bigger, stronger, and faster than the kids trying to cover them. He doesn't have to fit the ball into windows, drive the ball downfield over the middle, shape throws, or do many of the other things he will be expected to do regularly as a P5 QB.

Trudging up an old thread because I found some results at a Nike Regional camp that I found VERY interesting, especially in light of my own comments above.

These are Williams' results from the Nike Canton Regional in May 2018. CLICK HERE FOR FULL RESULTS (annoyingly, Nike now posts as embedded PDFs such that you cannot search for names; for reference, Williams' composite score was 98.10 and that's how it's sorted):

Height: 5-9.5
Weight: 170
40: 4.78
SS: 4.25
VJ: 30.6

That's... not good. Not good at all. While it could very well have just been a "bad 40" kind of day for him, there were plenty of other kids who ran in the 4.5-4.6 range. And, even if that's the case, he's even smaller than I thought. Kid could get crushed playing P5 QB, especially in Rod Smith's system that is very heavy on QB runs.

In fact, pretty much all of the high-profile Trinity Catholic kids have turned in pretty poor combine performances:

WR Marcus Washington (uncommitted offers from Ohio State, Florida State, Georgia, etc.)
CLICK HERE for Nashville event (84.15 for sorting purposes)
Height: 6-2
Weight: 193
40: 4.79
SS: 4.39

WR Bryce Childress (committed to Illinois, offers from Kentucky, Louisville, and Nebraska, among others)
CLICK HERE for Nashville event (no full score, sorted alphabetically about halfway down)
Height: 5-7.5
Weight: 168
40: [None reported]
SS: 4.65
VJ: 26.9

LB Shammond Cooper (offers from Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, etc.) was also at the Nashville event, but only did height/weight/vert for some reason. 6-2 195 31.4.

RB Alfonzo Andrews (offers from Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas, etc.) did height/weight/vert at 5-8 181 22.6.

Starting to wonder if these kids look better on tape than they are because of playing poor competition, plus being overhyped by Patterson.

Trudging up an old thread because I found some results at a Nike Regional camp that I found VERY interesting, especially in light of my own comments above.

These are Williams' results from the Nike Canton Regional in May 2018. CLICK HERE FOR FULL RESULTS (annoyingly, Nike now posts as embedded PDFs such that you cannot search for names; for reference, Williams' composite score was 98.10 and that's how it's sorted):

Height: 5-9.5
Weight: 170
40: 4.78
SS: 4.25

That's... not good. Not good at all. While it could very well have just been a "bad 40" kind of day for him, there were plenty of other kids who ran in the 4.5-4.6 range. And, even if that's the case, he's even smaller than I thought. Kid could get crushed playing P5 QB, especially in Rod Smith's system that is very heavy on QB runs.

In fact, pretty much all of the high-profile Trinity Catholic kids have turned in pretty poor combine performances:

WR Marcus Washington (uncommitted offers from Ohio State, Florida State, Georgia, etc.)
CLICK HERE for Nashville event (84.15 for sorting purposes)
Height: 6-2
Weight: 193
40: 4.79
SS: 4.39

WR Bryce Childress (committed to Illinois, offers from Kentucky, Louisville, and Nebraska, among others)
CLICK HERE for Nashville event (no full score, sorted alphabetically about halfway down)
Height: 5-7.5
Weight: 168
40: [None reported]
SS: 4.65
VJ: 26.9

LB Shammond Cooper (offers from Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, etc.) was also at the Nashville event, but only did height/weight/vert for some reason. 6-2 195 31.4.

RB Alfonzo Andrews (offers from Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas, etc.) did height/weight/vert at 5-8 181 22.6.

Starting to wonder if these kids look better on tape than they are because of playing poor competition, plus being overhyped by Patterson.
I like the kid’s tape, but these numbers are surprisingly low. I think he can be a good player, just don’t see him as a QB. Apparently, the rating services don’t either. I also heard he was at last weekends elite 11 QB camp where the top 24 QB’s competed for a spot in the Open ( or whatever it is called). The top 12 of the 24 got invited. Williams was never even mentioned in any of the articles as having made an impression. Neither Williams or Millen advanced. I think Lovie could ruin this kid if he insists on playing him at QB.

I think I side with you that the Trinity kids have built a powerful marketing network around their talents with a superb hype machine. They will have some good players that meet expectations, but I am very interested to see how we will evaluate these guys in 5 years.

It’s the other way around. Colter destroyed the team unity. Colter is the one who threw NU under the bus.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
I like the kid’s tape, but these numbers are surprisingly low. I think he can be a good player, just don’t see him as a QB. Apparently, the rating services don’t either. I also heard he was at last weekends elite 11 QB camp where the top 24 QB’s competed for a spot in the Open ( or whatever it is called). The top 12 of the 24 got invited. Williams was never even mentioned in any of the articles as having made an impression. Neither Williams or Millen advanced. I think Lovie could ruin this kid if he insists on playing him at QB.

I think I side with you that the Trinity kids have built a powerful marketing network around their talents with a superb hype machine. They will have some good players that meet expectations, but I am very interested to see how we will evaluate these guys in 5 years.
I think this pretty much a bait and switch for Lovie. They offer him as a QB to get his commit, then two years of limited PT with a handful of gadget plays thrown his way will convince him to move to a slot/TB hybrid role.

I think this pretty much a bait and switch for Lovie. They offer him as a QB to get his commit, then two years of limited PT with a handful of gadget plays thrown his way will convince him to move to a slot/TB hybrid role.

... for which he is still undersized.

There is absolutely no way in hell that we cut Lovie loose before he has five seasons here. People can't have it both ways: why would a program that has sucked for so long (as you guys love to point out) not give a high profile coach like Lovie sufficient time to remake the roster, get a full chance to implement his system, try to change the culture and give him assurance the whole time that the administration knows this is a massive rebuild and that he will have all the time he needs? Anyone with half a brain (which does not include all of our fans, LOL) knew that it would be at LEAST three years before we saw hardly any progress. Again, you guys love pointing out how much we have sucked ... and we have. So, obviously, any rebuild was going to take time.

Also, willycat is a riot, LOL.
If he has another season like last year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT