ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois @ NU: 2:30 PM CT, BTN

This seems to be an annual kick time for this game. tOSU/Michigan gets the 11 CST kick and everyone else is on Friday or at 2:30 on Saturday

This seems to be an annual kick time for this game. tOSU/Michigan gets the 11 CST kick and everyone else is on Friday or at 2:30 on Saturday
True - but glad to see it confirmed. The schedule lately has been wreaking happy havoc on me, but this'll work.

True - but glad to see it confirmed. The schedule lately has been wreaking happy havoc on me, but this'll work.
Anyone know why Michigan / tOSU is always the early game. Seems that 2:30 slot is the 2nd prime spot nowadays for the networks with the evening game being the first (With the B1G rule of no conference games in the PM after Nov. 1). Only thing I can think of is the networks feel the game will draw tv numbers if it is played at anytime so why not play it early but I still feel they are limiting their audience

Last edited:
It seems like a longstanding tradition - back in the day there was probably only one conference game on tv, and this would have been the one...

Anyone know why Michigan / tOSU is always the early game. Seems that 2:30 slot is the 2nd prime spot nowadays for the networks with the evening game being the first (With the B1G rule of no conference games in the PM after Nov. 1). Only thing I can think of is the networks feel the game will draw tv numbers if it is played at anytime so why not play it early but I still feel they are limiting their audience
It seems like a longstanding tradition - back in the day there was probably only one conference game on tv, and this would have been the one...
This and the tradition is so well-enshrined that they draw 10 million+ every year as long as one of the teams is good. Even if both are bad, I doubt it would dip below 7-8 million...

And if both teams are good, you get ratings over 15 million easy.

No reason to change the time if the viewers will come at noon.

Anyone know why Michigan / tOSU is always the early game.

The schools want it that way. They moved it to the 2:30 slot one year and both schools went ballistic.

Seems that 2:30 slot is the 2nd prime spot nowadays for the networks with the evening game being the first (With the B1G rule of no conference games in the PM after Nov. 1).

That rule does not exist anymore.

Slightly unrelated, but there's a disappointing lack of complaining on the Illini boards about us winning the division. I hate being denied the schadenfreude.

Sadly their main forum is locked down, but you can search for Northwestern and get a preview, such as this one. I almost want to pay $10 to see the rest.

46214684_10157029875660921_437807259389526016_o.jpg

Reactions: JournCat
That rule does not exist anymore.[/QUOTE]

If it doesnt anymore than curious why hasnt there been a B1G conference night game in November

The schools want it that way. They moved it to the 2:30 slot one year and both schools went ballistic.

Styre, you'd know this better than anybody . . . but since when do the networks care what the schools think?

If it doesnt anymore than curious why hasnt there been a B1G conference night game in November

There hasn't been one this year but if you think back to last year, NU hosted Purdue at night on November 11.

I believe that both schools have to consent to any November night games, and that the conference strongly discourages them in the final two weeks. But there's no prohibition like there was before.

Styre, you'd know this better than anybody . . . but since when do the networks care what the schools think?

For the most part they don't, but when both schools and the Big Ten itself put up a united front as in this case, the networks give in. Remember when the networks announced a bunch of Big Ten Friday night games and then the schools revolted and most of them were moved back to Saturdays? The networks don't want to piss off their partners unnecessarily.

Darn. This is the time of the year when you appreciate the 11 am kickoff.....
I was just wondering...if the game starts at 230pmCentral time, doesn't that mean they will need the temporary lights to illuminate the field? Now with the timezone change last week, it will get dark at 430pm! I thought that there are rules/limits to how many night games at home NU can have. It will be colder too- won't more fans come to a game with a 11am start that weekend??

I was just wondering...if the game starts at 230pmCentral time, doesn't that mean they will need the temporary lights to illuminate the field? Now with the timezone change last week, it will get dark at 430pm! I thought that there are rules/limits to how many night games at home NU can have. It will be colder too- won't more fans come to a game with a 11am start that weekend??

Yes, they will have the lights. It's not a night game. 2:30 is not at night. Game will be over by 6pm. I predict that as many fans will come at 2:30 as would come at 11am, that is to say very few.

Reactions: Fitz51
Yes, they will have the lights. It's not a night game. 2:30 is not at night. Game will be over by 6pm. I predict that as many fans will come at 2:30 as would come at 11am, that is to say very few.

It’s gonna be pretty empty. This game seemingly is annually regardless of venue.

For the most part they don't, but when both schools and the Big Ten itself put up a united front as in this case, the networks give in. Remember when the networks announced a bunch of Big Ten Friday night games and then the schools revolted and most of them were moved back to Saturdays? The networks don't want to piss off their partners unnecessarily.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

We’re all going to hold flashlights or pull our vehicles along the sidelines and turn on our headlights

Reactions: mickbula
It's dark around 4:30. Lights please!

Speaking of lights it would be nice to have permanent lights in the stadium and surely in the parking lots and under portions of the stands (the South end zone concourse area is so dark for these night or late afternoon games in the 2nd half of season). Guess that will not happen till the major renovation which may be a decade in the making

Speaking of lights it would be nice to have permanent lights in the stadium and surely in the parking lots and under portions of the stands (the South end zone concourse area is so dark for these night or late afternoon games in the 2nd half of season). Guess that will not happen till the major renovation which may be a decade in the making

Wikipedia says Ryan Field is the only stadium in FBS without lights. This seems wrong on its face - all 129 others have lights? Is this true?

That is crazy if true but seems logical. We are bringing these temporary lights in for at least half of the games a season so why not just add them?

Dr. Jim is paying Musco for the lights rental out of his own (Uviversity) pocket. Since the new contract went into effect in September, 2017, the networks are no longer responsible for providing HD quality lighting (a concession to the large increase in TV revenues to member schools).

Even if a light installation might have to change in a future renovation, the lights themselves could be reused. It’s a short sighted decision in my opinion. Purdue’s installation at Ross-Ade provided an interesting template for a solution to Dyche/Ryan.

Given the expansion of TV broadcasting windows, I’m not surprised that every other FBS school has made this basic investment which results in a free infomercial for their facilities. Think of the MAC-tion games you’ve watched in the last 10 years. Between TV money and body bag games, MAC schools have improved their facilities exponentially.

One comment of Michigan/Ohio State at noon .
This game has kicked at 2pm or later only twice (85 and 06). ABC desperately wanted the 06 game (1 vs 2) in prime time, but 3:30 was the compromise, in part because of the crowd control problems when OSU hosted Texas in 04.

It works well at noon because it provides a third tent pole for the day that otherwise would be compromise viewership. This Nov 24, Fox will clean up at Noon/11 with M/OSU; CBS will dominate 2:30 with Bama\Auburn while ABC will do well with Notre Dame/USC at 7. This was ABC/ESPN’s dilemma with Northwestern/Notre Dame (CBS having Bama/LSU in prime time). Fox has proven pretty canny in picking its battles selectively. It’s surprised me that Fox has relegated both Northwestern games to BTN in decisions after the Wildcats won the West , instead of using national platforms like FS1 and using the game to promote the Fox held B10 championship game in December.

Sadly their main forum is locked down, but you can search for Northwestern and get a preview, such as this one. I almost want to pay $10 to see the rest.

46214684_10157029875660921_437807259389526016_o.jpg

The rest of the post reads:

"... laughable average, and I would take that in a heartbeat."

Not much criticism of the program except many hope we get crushed in the CCG.

Plus, I would much rather start tailgating at 10:30am than at 7:00am.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT