ADVERTISEMENT

I'm a Big Ten fan, but...

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
How both Ohio State and Michigan made it into the CFP is beyond me.

Let's face it - the conference absolutely sucked this year. After Ohio State and Michigan.......Penn State? I don't even know who their bowl opponent will be, but I'll predict a loss right now.

Wisconsin? Iowa? Sparty? All in a down cycle.

Michigan's OOC schedule: UConn, Hawaii, Colorado State

Ohio State's OOC schedule: Notre Dame, Arkansas State, Toledo

I just don't see how any pundits anywhere aren't shining a spotlight on this...we have next to no indication how these programs would fare against legit competition. What's Paul Finebaum doing??

A big gripe of mine for the four-team playoff is that they've never made it a priority to avoid rematches. 130 FBS programs...I don't need to be at risk to watch Mich-OSU again when Alabama didn't even play Georgia and for all we know the Pac-12 was full of elite teams that just killed each other.

I'm actually not looking forward to an expanded CFP...it is the nail in the coffin for bowl season and the regular season, but at least we'll be going deep enough into the field to ensure "the most deserving" make it in.

I would’ve rather seen Clemson, or Utah, or Tulane. Tulane beat that amazing K-State team (but then also lost to Southern Miss).

I shed no tears for Nick Saban.

Georgia will thrash OSU, or anybody else on the above list.

Reactions: drewjin
Grits teeth...Michigan deserves it. Ohio state is a paper tiger. Penn State is just an above average team. That's it

Let's face it - the conference absolutely sucked this year. After Ohio State and Michigan.......Penn State? I don't even know who their bowl opponent will be, but I'll predict a loss right now.

I just don't see how any pundits anywhere aren't shining a spotlight on this...we have next to no indication how these programs would fare against legit competition. What's Paul Finebaum doing??

A big gripe of mine for the four-team playoff is that they've never made it a priority to avoid rematches. 130 FBS programs...I don't need to be at risk to watch Mich-OSU again when Alabama didn't even play Georgia and for all we know the Pac-12 was full of elite teams that just killed each other.

I'm actually not looking forward to an expanded CFP...it is the nail in the coffin for bowl season and the regular season, but at least we'll be going deep enough into the field to ensure "the most deserving" make it in.

Who else would you have put in?

Honestly, this year it should have been a BCS year with just 2.

At least they didn't use the TCU loss as an excuse to let Bama slither in.

The CCGs, always a money grab, were especially a joke this year, except PAC 12. SEC B1G B12 results had no effect except for (who cares?) Seeding

I would’ve rather seen Clemson, or Utah, or Tulane. Tulane beat that amazing K-State team (but then also lost to Southern Miss).

I shed no tears for Nick Saban.

Georgia will thrash OSU, or anybody else on the above list.
Wildcats > Red Elephants @ the Sugar Bowl 👍

defending%20big%2012%20champs_zpsrnmqmswn.png

How do we know that the SEC isn’t also down with an elite team (Georgia) and a paper tiger (Alabama) as well?

Tennessee is probably on par with PSU.

I didn’t watch much SEC ball this year, but

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

If I got my way and it was a priority to avoid rematches, then I would have skipped Ohio State (already lost to Michigan) and gone to the next highest-ranked team, which in this case would have been Alabama (who did not play Georgia, Michigan, or TCU).

Or, if the Committee really did care about conference championships, then I would have considered ranking Clemson higher on that principle - a team that went undefeated in the ACC and only lost to OOC opponents (Notre Dame and South Carolina).

There will always be a long list of "what about's" - and yes, whether you give the nod to Bama, Ohio State, or whomever - they are all legit threats to beat anyone else on any given day...so I won't choke down the Saban argument of "who do you think could win...?" Anyone COULD win...but I know who DID win, and who DIDN'T...since everyone already went to the trouble of playing some of those games, and since the regular season matters so much, unless that's all just a bunch of bullsht...

I would assume Tulane would be pummeled by Georgia, but I would also assume App State is a nothing program who couldn't march into CFB hallowed grounds and beat historical powers...

It’s pretty simple. Ohio State is a 1 loss team and has the best win and best loss (lost to highest rated team) of all the other contenders.

It would be hard to pick any two or three loss team over a one-loss Ohio State. Tennessee blew their chance with a bad loss to South Carolina. Alabama was the only real alternative but they just do not look any better. USC only loss to one team but did it twice and the second time showed Utah was just better. So, Ohio State was the best of the rest.

It would be hard to pick any two or three loss team over a one-loss Ohio State. Tennessee blew their chance with a bad loss to South Carolina. Alabama was the only real alternative but they just do not look any better. USC only loss to one team but did it twice and the second time showed Utah was just better. So, Ohio State was the best of the rest.
I agree, and I'm glad to see you jumping in here Gary - hope you are well.

There are rarely more than 2-3 truly national championship game worthy contenders to fill out he 4 team playoff with, so nothing else new there having a weird team to stuff in fourth. At any rate, it is indeed funny how it worked out, but you simply don't get to lose 2 games and get into the playoff.

There are rarely more than 2-3 truly national championship game worthy contenders to fill out he 4 team playoff with, so nothing else new there having a weird team to stuff in fourth. At any rate, it is indeed funny how it worked out, but you simply don't get to lose 2 games and get into the playoff.
The conference champions should all get a shot. All 10. Then the other 2 spots can go to wildcards.

Yet, we will soon have 12. Then 16. And so on

• Angry
It does kind of suck that a team like USC has to play another tough opponent in a conf title game while another team just gets to stay home, play one less game, and reap the benefits,

Yet, we will soon have 12. Then 16. And so on
At some point, aren't we limited by the length of a season a student-athlete can be expected to play?

Although they're all becoming pros now, so I guess it's just their job.

• Sad
…and for all we know the Pac-12 was full of elite teams that just killed each other.
That’s if you didn’t pay attention to UGA “killing” Oregon. And the PAC-12 champ Utah? The were on the wrong end of the outcome in a game against 6-6 UF. Otherwise, they killed each other.

One could say 3-9 ASU did kill Washington’s hopes. One just couldn’t say ASU was elite.

Reactions: CatManTrue
It does kind of suck that a team like USC has to play another tough opponent in a conf title game while another team just gets to stay home, play one less game, and reap the benefits,
A more controversial and interesting outcome would be USC losing a game like TCU’s aka losing an OT game by literally one inch. Suddenly THAT becomes an interesting conversation with OSU. As it was, it wasn’t even close.

Not that hard to figure out......no 2-loss team has ever made it into the Playoffs - like it or not.

I read an article on one of the OSU boards that really slammed Day as he brought in that new DC this year to prevent what happened in the 2021 Michigan game and then in the game 2 weeks ago against Michigan, he overrode a few of the DC's decisions during the game plus Day calls all of the offensive plays in the game. He had an excellent OC in Kevin Wilson (named HC at Tulsa yesterday. He needs to start letting his assistants start doing their jobs,

OSU, Alabama, and Georgia - according to the 247 Composite - has the most roster talent out there and there is no way they should be losing to Michigan. OSU has as many 5-star players as the rest of the B1G combined. It's on Day

Last edited:
Oh, man. Are we really crying for poor, lowdown, cheating USC? Now I’ve heard everything.
Not crying for anybody. Just stating there is a lot more risk playing an extra game vs the #11 team than sitting on your couch and watching others play

Not crying for anybody. Just stating there is a lot more risk playing an extra game vs the #11 team than sitting on your couch and watching others play
I apologize. I missed your point completely. Now that I understand, I must say that I agree.

Reading comprehension is not one of my skills.

I would like to see the first 4 games played at the home of the higher seed. I would love to see some SEC teams get to play in 20* with wind and snow
A lifetime dream of mine!!! I have always detested the warm weather bowl games while the NFL playoff games prior to the Super Bowl are at home sites, cold or not. Saw the Bears win at Wrigley in the 1963 NFL Championship game, and it was effin cold! Dallas vs Green Bay, lol Ice Bowl. About time those Bermuda grass boys got introduced to real football!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT