ADVERTISEMENT

Impressions from my couch

TheC

May 29, 2001
Positive - Pat Spencer had a nice game. Aggressive in the first half and handled the pressure from some pesky Nebraska guards.

Negative - Pat Spencer sometimes gets out of control. Still too many turnovers on mostly careless plays. But I think he's getting better.

Positive - Three point shooting. Cats hit nearly 60% in the first half. AJ was making his. Beran had a couple. Miller had some sweet strokes.

Negative - Three point shooting. I think CCC should prohibit Pete Nance from shooting another three. Man, that shot is so ugly. I can't believe we ran a set play coming down the stretch to get Pete an open three. The play worked great! Nance got a wide open look. But he clanked it as he had all game (all month, really). Also, Kopp clearly lost his legs in the 2nd half as his threes were all very short. Almost cost us the game when he missed three in a row.

Positive - The true freshmen. Beran was fantastic at times. You can see the growth for him which was one of the goals for this year. When he puts the ball on the floor and gets to the rim, he can be special. Also had some huge rebounds and some nice blocks. Jones also looks more and more solid each time out. Once he figures out the offensive end, I think that kid will be a force. Prediction - Jones will be starting over Young by next season.

Negative - Nothing here. I am excited about Beran and Jones. Combine them with Buie and now we've got something going forward.

Positive - The crowd. Could hear them on tv and Bardo commented on the crowd energy several times during the broadcast.

Negative - The crowd. The purple seaters continue to let us down. The bottom of the bowl on the sides looked empty on tv. I hate when they do the camera shot of the broadcast team and all you see are empty seats behind them. Its pathetic.

Positive - Coach Collins. He has the guys still playing hard despite how depressing this season has been at times. I think the offensive sets looked better lately. I think he's growing as a coach. Except....

Negative - Coach Collins. It is so frustrating to watch this team stop executing on offense down the stretch with a lead. Collins goes into a shell and it costs us. I hate that we stop running our offense after the 4 minute mark with a lead. Keep playing! Keep scoring!!

Overall, we won and that's a damn fine thing. Go Cats!!

I guess may take is that this is still a pretty raw product but there's more there in terms of quality bball talent than I've seen in 40+ years of following NU hoops.

Just the size and the length and how every game that results in a turnover or change of possession....or three.

What jumped out to me today was AJ's play...he just rose above everyone else. Some weren't ready for that level...but they'll get there.

Beran was terriffic, oozes talent and natural ability.

Spencer has had two great games in a row. He's really reigned in his game, gotten everyone involved.

Nice to see them finally win a close one.

Nebby has some talent. I know Hoiberg is the recruiter, but who coaches them these days?

Positive - Pat Spencer had a nice game. Aggressive in the first half and handled the pressure from some pesky Nebraska guards.

Negative - Pat Spencer sometimes gets out of control. Still too many turnovers on mostly careless plays. But I think he's getting better.

Positive - Three point shooting. Cats hit nearly 60% in the first half. AJ was making his. Beran had a couple. Miller had some sweet strokes.

Negative - Three point shooting. I think CCC should prohibit Pete Nance from shooting another three. Man, that shot is so ugly. I can't believe we ran a set play coming down the stretch to get Pete an open three. The play worked great! Nance got a wide open look. But he clanked it as he had all game (all month, really). Also, Kopp clearly lost his legs in the 2nd half as his threes were all very short. Almost cost us the game when he missed three in a row.

Positive - The true freshmen. Beran was fantastic at times. You can see the growth for him which was one of the goals for this year. When he puts the ball on the floor and gets to the rim, he can be special. Also had some huge rebounds and some nice blocks. Jones also looks more and more solid each time out. Once he figures out the offensive end, I think that kid will be a force. Prediction - Jones will be starting over Young by next season.

Negative - Nothing here. I am excited about Beran and Jones. Combine them with Buie and now we've got something going forward.

Positive - The crowd. Could hear them on tv and Bardo commented on the crowd energy several times during the broadcast.

Negative - The crowd. The purple seaters continue to let us down. The bottom of the bowl on the sides looked empty on tv. I hate when they do the camera shot of the broadcast team and all you see are empty seats behind them. Its pathetic.

Positive - Coach Collins. He has the guys still playing hard despite how depressing this season has been at times. I think the offensive sets looked better lately. I think he's growing as a coach. Except....

Negative - Coach Collins. It is so frustrating to watch this team stop executing on offense down the stretch with a lead. Collins goes into a shell and it costs us. I hate that we stop running our offense after the 4 minute mark with a lead. Keep playing! Keep scoring!!

If Nance continues to try to play like a guard, I see Jones starting over him before he is in front of Young

I guess may take is that this is still a pretty raw product but there's more there in terms of quality bball talent than I've seen in 40+ years of following NU hoops.

Just the size and the length and how every game that results in a turnover or change of possession....or three.

What jumped out to me today was AJ's play...he just rose above everyone else. Some weren't ready for that level...but they'll get there.

Beran was terriffic, oozes talent and natural ability.

Spencer has had two great games in a row. He's really reigned in his game, gotten everyone involved.

Nice to see them finally win a close one.

Nebby has some talent. I know Hoiberg is the recruiter, but who coaches them these days?
Yep, Now we are 2-11 in games decided by 5 points or less in the last two years

Beran has John Shurna feel to him. No prediction for a record setting career but this is a person we will want on the court for the next 3 years. Young will be a solid and rare post player. Maybe not NBA legs but another guy with 3 more years of contribution.. BOO is a R Hearn type emerged early and showed his stuff by Dec of FY. Jones a power rebounder and front line depth for 3 more seasons. Four guys this good with FY eligibility is fantastic. Need our top recruit.. Rivals 150 guard. To make it a group of 5. Most interesting situation ever.

Reactions: Titanium999
If Kopp gets more consistent with his shot and gets a better handle. 2ND ROUND NBA DRAFT level player. That is far from making a roster but he could get a look. Just throwing that out. Nance is still more Fy in playing time. Both could be really good as Srs.

If Kopp gets more consistent with his shot and gets a better handle. 2ND ROUND NBA DRAFT level player. That is far from making a roster but he could get a look. Just throwing that out. Nance is still more Fy in playing time. Both could be really good as Srs.
I get that you’re excited about him, but I’m not sure he’s got any NBA to his game. I don’t think he’s got the athleticism or lateral quickness to play at that level, but that’s just me.

(For reference, Ethan Happ went undrafted.)

Agree with most of what you said but while Spencer adds a bit of toughness, he just doesn't like giving up the ball. On the playgrounds , we use to refer to him as a ball hog. Nance has got to drive to the basket and until he does, sit him. I've been saying for awhile now that Beran is blue chipper. Agree that Jones eventually will get more time at the 5 then Young and when Boo comes back and is joined in the backcourt with Berry the starting five next season will be good. Also I don't want to hear anymore crap about the students, when the choice seats behind NU's bench, the scoring table and behind the broadcast guys are empty. Pathetic.

Beran
Beran has John Shurna feel to him. No prediction for a record setting career but this is a person we will want on the court for the next 3 years. Young will be a solid and rare post player. Maybe not NBA legs but another guy with 3 more years of contribution..
Beran reminds me more of Coble. He made an awkward little drive to the bucket yesterday where he wound up adjusting his body angle and taking his layup from the opposite side. Off-balance leaners from all angles were fundamental to Coble’s game. I see some of that in Beran.

It’s good when players are getting compared to Shurna and Coble, I think.

re: Jones
Seems like he’s just a beat or two slow right now, adjusting to the level of competition. But he’ll be good. If he wants to step out and shoot, he’ll need to tighten his handle a little. All in due time.

Reactions: Katatonic
Gotta give some credit to CCC for pounding the rock. After so much losing, he's kept the team focused and working to get better. Yeah, that's his job, but it's really hard to coach a team that is so often over just matched. Huge W and a glimmer of hope for the rest of the season.

If Nance continues to try to play like a guard, I see Jones starting over him before he is in front of Young

I think the best part of Nance's offensive game this year has been his mid-range shooting. His passing has been decent, but that's been offset some by turnovers at key moments late in the game.

I'd like to see Nance setting up more at the elbow and out to 10-12 feet on the baseline with lots of in and out passing. A dribble or two to create some space and then kick it out. I'd like to see what he's doing out beyond the three point line cut in half or more. I think with AJ (6 7") playing better and Beran (6 9") playing better, their flashing to the hoop as Pete receives the ball is something we haven't seen. I'd prefer some length going to the basket versus Boo and Spencer. Any sort of success with this opens it up for Kopp at the 3 and Beran when he's out there.

Reactions: docrugby1
I really like the size and length we will have next year- Beran, young, jones, nance, nicholson, Kopp. We will be able to create some matchup problems for teams especially if Beran and Kopp can continue to improve their 3 pt strokes.

Now if Nance could just do a little of that,.
Nance had a drive to the basket for a bucket and two put-backs. Beran had 2 drives to the basket. So Beran is great aggressive and Nance is not. I am not sure I follow. This is one of the reasons I posted about Nance getting a disproportionate amount of criticism.

Nance had a drive to the basket for a bucket and two put-backs. Beran had 2 drives to the basket. So Beran is great aggressive and Nance is not. I am not sure I follow. This is one of the reasons I posted about Nance getting a disproportionate amount of criticism.
Nance's potential is evident. I think Beran's is too. I don't think all of the criticism is fair, but I suspect that's what is behind some of it.

Agree with most of what you said but while Spencer adds a bit of toughness, he just doesn't like giving up the ball. On the playgrounds , we use to refer to him as a ball hog. Nance has got to drive to the basket and until he does, sit him. I've been saying for awhile now that Beran is blue chipper. Agree that Jones eventually will get more time at the 5 then Young and when Boo comes back and is joined in the backcourt with Berry the starting five next season will be good. Also I don't want to hear anymore crap about the students, when the choice seats behind NU's bench, the scoring table and behind the broadcast guys are empty. Pathetic.
I am amazed that two players other than Nance getting beat up around here are Spencer and Young. NU loses yesterday without Spencer, yet people focus on what he can’t do. Young was quiet yesterday, but has had a great season compared to what just about anyone projected.

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat
Nance's potential is evident. I think Beran's is too. I don't think all of the criticism is fair, but I suspect that's what is behind some of it.
I get it. Nance was highly recruited, has decent skills and is the tallest player on the court. Folks want to see more. But Sanjay Lumpkin was awful on offense until his 5th year and he's beloved by most on this board. So I am asking for a little perspective and some patience from some on the board.

Reactions: Sec.112
I get it. Nance was highly recruited, has decent skills and is the tallest player on the court. Folks want to see more. But Sanjay Lumpkin was awful on offense until his 5th year and he's beloved by most on this board. So I am asking for a little perspective and some patience from some on the board.
At the time Lumpkin was criticized by many, even though he never wasted shots. While he had a limited skill set offensively, he was a master of selecting his moments, in my opinion. Personally I like Nance's game. I think he's going to help us a lot this year, not just in the future.

willycat said:

Now if Nance could just do a little of that,.

[/quote]
Two different situations. One is a freshman with little time on the court. One is a sophomore that saw little time last year but is seeing significant this year.

But, mostly it’s about seeing improvement. Beran showed a leap in play. Nance, on offense, didn’t.

I feel there are always posters that believe people are being too critical. Nance is not even the player most talked about. Inexplicably Greer is.

But it goes around. Spencer was grilled here. Even Young was grilled here. It’s a message board. Where we all obsess about small stuff. :)

At the time Lumpkin was criticized by many, even though he never wasted shots. While he had a limited skill set offensively, he was a master of selecting his moments, in my opinion. Personally I like Nance's game. I think he's going to help us a lot this year, not just in the future.

Agree. Lumpkin was not a high volume scorer, but was efficient on offense--even when clarificationcat claims he was "awful on offense until his 5th year." Lumpkin shot .371 and .361 from 3 as a sophomore and junior--and .617 and .580 from the floor. He was a 4-year starter and our defensive leader. On offense, he facilitated, didn't turn the ball over, rebounded well for his position and picked his moments to drain open threes, cut to the basket and score in the paint.

Reactions: GatoLouco
I think he was very effective offensively his 5th year. Prior to that, he was not. He went many conference games without scoring, which is really difficult to suppo
Two different situations. One is a freshman with little time on the court. One is a sophomore that saw little time last year but is seeing significant this year.

But, mostly it’s about seeing improvement. Beran showed a leap in play. Nance, on offense, didn’t.

I feel there are always posters that believe people are being too critical. Nance is not even the player most talked about. Inexplicably Greer is.

But it goes around. Spencer was grilled here. Even Young was grilled here. It’s a message board. Where we all obsess about small stuff. :)[/QUOTE]
Fair enough. I think it's more about expectations than anything else. There were no expectations for Young. He
Agree. Lumpkin was not a high volume scorer, but was efficient on offense--even when clarificationcat claims he was "awful on offense until his 5th year." Lumpkin shot .371 and .361 from 3 as a sophomore and junior--and .617 and .580 from the floor. He was a 4-year starter and our defensive leader. On offense, he facilitated, didn't turn the ball over, rebounded well for his position and picked his moments to drain open threes, cut to the basket and score in the paint.
You can spin it any way you want to but there are very few teams in basketball at any level that can afford to have a starter average 2.5 points a game in conference games (which is what he averaged his 4th year in the program). That's not good by anyone's standards. He averaged 1.3 assists his 4th year, so I wouldn't call him a facilitator either. He did lots of other things well, brought toughness to the team, and became a lot more impactful on offense his fifth year. I will always appreciate his contributions to our only tournament team.

I has happy to see that drive and putbacks yesterday. That is what I want to see more of out of him. Fact is that we have not seen so much of that from him and more of the flat 3 or fade away jumper. If he drives, he also gets to the foul line more. Most of the top scorers, that is where they get a lot of their points. Also Beran is getting his first minutes on the floor and I believe he has been getting significantly less minutes than Nance though yesterday they were even.

Last edited:
But it goes around. Spencer was grilled here.

I may have been harshest on Spencer after he jacked up 18 shots in the Minny game.

Two things about that criticism (which I floated previously).

First, it was valid criticsm, IMO. Thought he was taking teammates out of the game. I also think Pat Spencer is the sort of guy who would look at the film and agree. I don't think he cares too much about anything on the court except winning. And, I made the point earlier that the criticism is only possible because he's done such an amazing job putting himself in a place where he plays (starts!!!) extended minutes so he's open to criticism for that play.

Second, he's been great the last two games. Something like 8 and 10 shots. No issues with that at all and no sign of the extreme frustration from others I saw in the Minny game.

It's good to hit 3s early and it's bad to hit 3s early. I almost cringe when a team starts out hot at the three-point line these days, because almost inevitably it leads to a frenzy of players jacking up 3s from all over the court, and almost inevitably the hot streak ends and the other team gets back into the ball game. I see that time after time, whether viewing my local Division II school or the Big Ten. Getting 3s in the flow of the offense is great, but a team with the size of Northwestern should also be relentlessly pounding the paint.

I get that you’re excited about him, but I’m not sure he’s got any NBA to his game. I don’t think he’s got the athleticism or lateral quickness to play at that level, but that’s just me.

(For reference, Ethan Happ went undrafted.)

No opinion as of yet on an NBA future for Kopp, but Happ, a great college player, is a terrible fit in today’s NBA. He took 16 3-pointers his whole career and made exactly one of them. Guys like Giannis Antetokounmpo, Demarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis and Joel Embiid are shooting from outside these days. Hell, I saw Dwight Howard make one the other night.

Unless you’re an absolute physical freak, like Howard was, no shooting = no NBA today. Happ, while a center, has no outside game, and that’s why he didn’t get an NBA look.

Kopp, a wing, can shoot the ball. Whether he has the other requisite skills is an open question two and a half years away. But I’d compare him to Shurna, the best shooter and scorer we’ve had in decades who also graduated as the all-time leader in blocks, and he didn’t get the NBA look. So that’s what Kopp will be up against.

No opinion as of yet on an NBA future for Kopp, but Happ, a great college player, is a terrible fit in today’s NBA. He took 16 3-pointers his whole career and made exactly one of them. Guys like Giannis Antetokounmpo, Demarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis and Joel Embiid are shooting from outside these days. Hell, I saw Dwight Howard make one the other night.

Unless you’re an absolute physical freak, like Howard was, no shooting = no NBA today. Happ, while a center, has no outside game, and that’s why he didn’t get an NBA look.

Kopp, a wing, can shoot the ball. Whether he has the other requisite skills is an open question two and a half years away. But I’d compare him to Shurna, the best shooter and scorer we’ve had in decades who also graduated as the all-time leader in blocks, and he didn’t get the NBA look. So that’s what Kopp will be up against.

Agree, Shurna was a more fluid athlete, better all-around scorer and rebounder and didn't get a serious look. Kopp is not a good enough athlete for NBA from what I see, but he is good enough to be a very good big ten player if he continues to improve.

Yeah if he can continue to improve he’s got a nice career ahead of him in Europe or China for sure.

This.

Big diff. btwn Lumpkin and Nance is efficiency.

I think he was very effective offensively his 5th year. Prior to that, he was not. He went many conference games without scoring, which is really difficult to suppo

Per 40 mins, Sanjay avg'd 8.6 ppg for the 2016-17 season.

During the 2014-15 season, he avg'd 7.7 ppg per 40 mins, and shot .371 from the arc as opposed to .300 his last season.

Lumpkin was there to grab rebounds and play D; if more O was needed, Tap would sub in.

Young will be a solid and rare post player. Maybe not NBA legs but another guy with 3 more years of contribution.

When Young committed, thought he could develop into a poor man's Zach Collins.

While have been showing signs of that, the next step is to show more consistency against better competition.

Last edited:
Beran has John Shurna feel to him. No prediction for a record setting career but this is a person we will want on the court for the next 3 years. Young will be a solid and rare post player. Maybe not NBA legs but another guy with 3 more years of contribution.. BOO is a R Hearn type emerged early and showed his stuff by Dec of FY. Jones a power rebounder and front line depth for 3 more seasons. Four guys this good with FY eligibility is fantastic. Need our top recruit.. Rivals 150 guard. To make it a group of 5. Most interesting situation ever.
Agreed

Agree, Shurna was a more fluid athlete, better all-around scorer and rebounder and didn't get a serious look. Kopp is not a good enough athlete for NBA from what I see, but he is good enough to be a very good big ten player if he continues to improve.

Yes. Kopp, when I've seen him (and it's a relatively small sample size so far), seems to be a standup shooter. You're not going to get far in the NBA now without being able to create your own shot.

Yes. Kopp, when I've seen him (and it's a relatively small sample size so far), seems to be a standup shooter. You're not going to get far in the NBA now without being able to create your own shot.

There is plenty of demand for catch and shoot guys who can't necessarily create their own shot in the NBA. But they need to be able to play defense, which Kopp doesn't appear to have the athleticism for at the next level.

This.

Big diff. btwn Lumpkin and Nance is efficiency.

Per 40 mins, Sanjay avg'd 8.6 ppg for the 2016-17 season.

During the 2014-15 season, he avg'd 7.7 ppg per 40 mins, and shot .371 from the arc as opposed to .300 his last season.

Lumpkin was there to grab rebounds and play D; if more O was needed, Tap would sub in.

When Young committed, thought he could develop into a poor man's Zach Collins.

While have been showing signs of that, the next step is to show more consistency against better competition.
It's not difficult to be efficient when you take two or three wide open shots a game that your teammates create for you. And prior to his final year, he was much more effective in non-conference games. He went scoreless in 11 conferences games in 2014-2015. Very few teams are good enough to have a starter contribute almost nothing offensively. That's asking way too much of your teammates. He brought a lot to the team, particularly in terms of toughness and attitude. Let's not pretend that he contributed much offensively until his final year.

There is plenty of demand for catch and shoot guys who can't necessarily create their own shot in the NBA. But they need to be able to play defense, which Kopp doesn't appear to have the athleticism for at the next level.
But those guys also have to be PHENOMENAL shooters who can get their shots off in a flash. Kopp is nowhere near that effective from distance yet.

Reactions: NUCat320
But those guys also have to be PHENOMENAL shooters who can get their shots off in a flash. Kopp is nowhere near that effective from distance yet.

Perhaps not but given his size, high and quick release one could see him as a catch and shoot NBA 3 pt specialist if he continues to improve. But it’s hard to see him as a guy who could hold his own on defense at the NBA level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT