ADVERTISEMENT

In Defense of Fitz

PURPLE Book Cat

Gold Member
Sep 3, 2007
I caveat the following on my presumption that a qualified, independent, and impartial team had access to and considered all of the relevant factual evidence including the alegations in the bombshell Daily story and delivered its findings in an unbiased way.

I also question the timing and motives of yesterday’s Daily article (and holy hell, how does Fitz ever again take a question from a Daily reporter - especially after he has gone out of his way at many press conferences over the years to give student sports reporters the chance to gain the experience of asking a sports celebrity a question).

There are so many things that are unknown, unknowable and open for interpretation with regard to the specific activities in question (the phrases “dry humping” and “Shrek clap” in particular). I would love to hear Fitz’s response, from his mouth, to what the “Shrek clap” actually was and meant in the context of his use during practice. Also, the characterization of “running” by apparently one former player as an abusive activity has apparently been discredited by many player witnesses.

Further, anonymity is appropriate in any sexual abuse case, but the side effect is that neither Fitz nor the public can look the accuser in the eye and question motive or bias (or confirm that neither exists).

Separately, there is a fine line - especially in this day and age - between what most people would consider childish/juvenile/typical annd appropriate college football activities and what most people would find abusive. There are many missing details, and many allegations that have been called into question, that could push interpretation of what actually happened over the line in either direction. However, it seems that the outrage comes from one particular player’s interpretation of events while legions of other players have seemingly characterized this interpretation quite differently using words such as “twisted” and “lies.” With what has been disclosed, and the subsequent response of apparently hundreds of potential witnesses challenging the factual characterization of the conduct, it is difficult to assess with certainty that conduct amounts to normal and non-abusive horseplay or true sexual abuse.

Nobody should ever take any serious allegation of sexual abuse lightly. But everyone likewise should be very aware that mis-characterization of conduct as sexual abuse that the vast majority of college aged football players would not find abusive risks the marginalization of true victims. Too many statements have been called into question by potentially hundreds of witnesses for a definitive conclusion to be drawn of what actually happened. The tradition in our society is to presume innocence until guilt is proven.

While Fitz as the head coach has a responsibility for institutional control and ultimate accountability - and clearly he has some culpability for his shortcomings in this matter to some extent - it is possible that he had no chance to moderate or inject himself into a situation to prevent the alleged activities. It is possible that reasonable people could have characterized the allegedly abusive activities (and apparently many actually did) as not rising to the level of abuse. In such a circumstance, I believe that it is appropriate to consider Fitz’s conduct as a whole during the tenure of his time leading the program, which I would argue has been exceptionally positive.

While Fitz certainly deserves to shoulder accountability for some lack of supervision for which corrective action is warranted, Fitz also deserves significant leniency and presumption of innocence from any intentional action. I for one believe that Northwestern is best served for Fitz to continue as coach for a very long time.

Finally, as the administrative leader, the university president bears some accountability in this matter as well. I expect that it would be appropriate that any further punishment levied on Fitz would likewise be allocated to the university president.

Very reasonable, prudent thoughts. I’m not sure whether the third-party investigator can comment, but if she can she absolutely should. Her reputation is on the line here.

I’ve had enough experience with serious allegations made about me, co-workers and supervisors to know that even when people aren’t making accusations anonymously, they can be completely fabricated.

My biggest problem is with Schill's handling of this:

The biggest issue is that the punishment likely was too low for something that he *should* have known about though the allegations so far do not allege that he did in fact know, which is why there's this huge backlash now that the Daily made them public.

Schill should have realized the severity of the situation from the allegations/law firm investigation and given a multi-game suspension from the beginning. A 3 or 4 game suspension (with Fitz being suspended as HC from now until the 3rd or 4th game of the season) would have likely been adequate punishment and recognition of severity of the hazing allegations.

A 2 week middle of summer suspension is a joke given the hazing allegations.

As far as Fitz is concerned, I do believe that he can continue as HC here if there's no other shoe to drop and if it remains the case that there's no proof that he knew beforehand about these allegations. Any evidence that he actually knew about this and permitted it or ignored it would make his continued tenure untenable.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that Fitz knew and would have allowed for this to happen if he knew the details of what these hazing incidents involved. Beyond just the embarrassment to him as HC, he cares about the University and his program's image, which obviously is tarnished by this.

Last edited:
Here is what I really believe:

* The Daily doesn't owe Fitz anything other than a chance to respond. I would be stunned if they didn't ask him for a comment, to which he understandably said "no comment." But they had two separate sources and what objectively sounds like photo evidence of an effective hitlist. It was newsworthy, although I'd like to know if they pressed the sources about the specifics or just ate up what they were serving, because that's obviously what's got national attention here - the juicy details.

* The investigation basically concluded the equivalent of "things probably happened here, but not enough evidence to say with absolute certainty that Fitz knew, or enough to take harsher action." And the president breathed a sigh of relief.

* I am cautiously optimistic that Fitz didn't know the specific details of how his captains or the leadership council or whomever "got new guys in line." I'm not basing this on Fitz's curated public persona, but my expectation of any grown, middle-aged man/father of sons with a multi-million-dollar job and high visibility/culpability. I can reasonably imagine a scenario where he talked with his trusted players and asked if they had a way of getting freshmen "in line" or "up to speed" or whatever, and they basically said "yeah, we can handle it," and he trusted them to do things that wouldn't cross any lines. I don't believe Pat Fitzgerald clapped at anyone with the expectation they would be dry humped by a group of masked players in a dark room (which may also be a gratuitous, exaggerated version of what actually happened). But I also don't think willful ignorance is a plausible defense for a head football coach at a P5 program - it's why you have two dozen coaches and support staff - to have eyes and ears everywhere.

* The Daily doesn't owe Fitz anything other than a chance to respond. I would be stunned if they didn't ask him for a comment, to which he understandably said "no comment." But they had two separate sources and what objectively sounds like photo evidence of an effective hitlist. It was newsworthy, although I'd like to know if they pressed the sources about the specifics or just ate up what they were serving, because that's obviously what's got national attention here - the juicy details.

* The investigation basically concluded the equivalent of "things probably happened here, but not enough evidence to say with absolute certainty that Fitz knew, or enough to take harsher action." And the president breathed a sigh of relief.

* I am cautiously optimistic that Fitz didn't know the specific details of how his captains or the leadership council or whomever "got new guys in line." I'm not basing this on Fitz's curated public persona, but my expectation of any grown, middle-aged man/father of sons with a multi-million-dollar job and high visibility/culpability. I can reasonably imagine a scenario where he talked with his trusted players and asked if they had a way of getting freshmen "in line" or "up to speed" or whatever, and they basically said "yeah, we can handle it," and he trusted them to do things that wouldn't cross any lines. I don't believe Pat Fitzgerald clapped at anyone with the expectation they would be dry humped by a group of masked players in a dark room (which may also be a gratuitous, exaggerated version of what actually happened). But I also don't think willful ignorance is a plausible defense for a head football coach at a P5 program - it's why you have two dozen coaches and support staff - to have eyes and ears everywhere.
I agree with you on all of these points, but this makes Schill's actions the biggest immediate issue.

The inadequacy of the initial punishment makes this whole thing worse for all involved because it's now an escalating media firestorm (for Schill and Fitz especially). Schill looks ineffectual in his role as president because he didn't realize the severity of the hazing allegations, and knives are out for a much harsher punishment for Fitz which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It looks to the public as if Schill was trying to sweep this all under the rug even if he wasn't.

Fitz deserved a harsher punishment from the beginning; one that would have recognized the severity of the allegations and allowed for a proper processing of the event, not one that's simply amplified because of an ensuing media circus.

Last edited:

Agree with some of this, but Lou's source corroborated and said Fitz probably knew. "It wasn't a secret ".

The hazing occurred, the report said so. They tried to trivialize it and the Daily blew it up. Now Schill is backpedaling, I hope he does the right thing.

President Schill quite rightly and belatedly is looking into whether Fitz "should have known", because, you know, that's THE LAW.

Not sure how much more "investigation " is needed. They had a 6 month investigation. He's just talking to lawyers and Pat Ryan.

I agree with you on all of these points, but this makes Schill's actions the biggest immediate issue.

The inadequacy of the initial punishment makes this whole thing worse for all involved because it's now an escalating media firestorm (for Schill and Fitz especially). Schill looks ineffectual in his role as president because he didn't realize the severity of the hazing allegations, and knives are out for a much harsher punishment for Fitz which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It looks to the public as if Schill was trying to sweep this all under the rug even if he wasn't.

Fitz deserved a harsher punishment from the beginning; one that would have recognized the severity of the allegations and allowed for a proper processing of the event, not one that's simply amplified because of an ensuing media circus.
Not sure about anything regarding the adequacy of the punishment given the initial credulity.

I agree with the sentiment that Schill took a bad situation and made it worse. I suspect he probably has in the back of his mind that Graham Spanier as a university president went to jail (hopefully the evidence will clarify in a very different situation). It seems like after talking to the accuser’s family, his tune changed. I wonder if tacit threats were made.

Agree with some of this, but Lou's source corroborated and said Fitz probably knew. "It wasn't a secret ".

The hazing occurred, the report said so. They tried to trivialize it and the Daily blew it up. Now Schill is backpedaling, I hope he does the right thing.

President Schill quite rightly and belatedly is looking into whether Fitz "should have known", because, you know, that's THE LAW.

Not sure how much more "investigation " is needed. They had a 6 month investigation. He's just talking to lawyers and Pat Ryan.
I unapologetically stand by the position that many doubts about the credibility of the evidence - especially given the statements of the team

I question the timing and motives of the suspension more than the timing and motives of the article. It’s improbable that the article was written, sourced, verified, and then edited in the 24 hours following the news of the suspension as a “hit piece.”

It is much more likely that the university got wind of the article and came forward with news of the suspension to get out in front of it.

Regarding Lou’s source, he confirmed that “running” was a thing. What he didn’t say was what that exactly entailed. Lou also said this was a former staff member who left on good terms. Do you really think that person would be on good terms with FItz and the program if some of worst things that are being alleged and presumably happened while that person was at NU are even remotely accurate?

I unapologetically stand by the position that many doubts about the credibility of the evidence - especially given the statements of the team
You mean the statement made by and SIGNED by the team? You failed to mention the overwhelming support of 6(?) of his 300 odd former players. Hey it doesn't matter what we think. The university is in damage control mode and will likely pay Fitz a ton of money to go quietly, when they had a chance to fire him for cause.

Personally, I'm disappointed that it's a sunny day and I don't have a hat that I'm not embarrassed to wear

The investigation, the article, and the letter all say the evidence was credible.

What are you basing your doubts on?

Reactions: phatcat
If what is in the article is even just mostly true, and whether Fitz knew or not, I think he will be forced to negotiate an exit package.

In which case, how did a 6-month investigation miss these details? I don't see how it could, in which case, either a) There was a cover up, or b) The article is largely false. Between those two, I just can't imagine a cover up in this day and age.

Reactions: samuirocks
I caveat the following on my presumption that a qualified, independent, and impartial team had access to and considered all of the relevant factual evidence including the alegations in the bombshell Daily story and delivered its findings in an unbiased way.

I also question the timing and motives of yesterday’s Daily article (and holy hell, how does Fitz ever again take a question from a Daily reporter - especially after he has gone out of his way at many press conferences over the years to give student sports reporters the chance to gain the experience of asking a sports celebrity a question).

There are so many things that are unknown, unknowable and open for interpretation with regard to the specific activities in question (the phrases “dry humping” and “Shrek clap” in particular). I would love to hear Fitz’s response, from his mouth, to what the “Shrek clap” actually was and meant in the context of his use during practice. Also, the characterization of “running” by apparently one former player as an abusive activity has apparently been discredited by many player witnesses.

Further, anonymity is appropriate in any sexual abuse case, but the side effect is that neither Fitz nor the public can look the accuser in the eye and question motive or bias (or confirm that neither exists).

Separately, there is a fine line - especially in this day and age - between what most people would consider childish/juvenile/typical annd appropriate college football activities and what most people would find abusive. There are many missing details, and many allegations that have been called into question, that could push interpretation of what actually happened over the line in either direction. However, it seems that the outrage comes from one particular player’s interpretation of events while legions of other players have seemingly characterized this interpretation quite differently using words such as “twisted” and “lies.” With what has been disclosed, and the subsequent response of apparently hundreds of potential witnesses challenging the factual characterization of the conduct, it is difficult to assess with certainty that conduct amounts to normal and non-abusive horseplay or true sexual abuse.

Nobody should ever take any serious allegation of sexual abuse lightly. But everyone likewise should be very aware that mis-characterization of conduct as sexual abuse that the vast majority of college aged football players would not find abusive risks the marginalization of true victims. Too many statements have been called into question by potentially hundreds of witnesses for a definitive conclusion to be drawn of what actually happened. The tradition in our society is to presume innocence until guilt is proven.

While Fitz as the head coach has a responsibility for institutional control and ultimate accountability - and clearly he has some culpability for his shortcomings in this matter to some extent - it is possible that he had no chance to moderate or inject himself into a situation to prevent the alleged activities. It is possible that reasonable people could have characterized the allegedly abusive activities (and apparently many actually did) as not rising to the level of abuse. In such a circumstance, I believe that it is appropriate to consider Fitz’s conduct as a whole during the tenure of his time leading the program, which I would argue has been exceptionally positive.

While Fitz certainly deserves to shoulder accountability for some lack of supervision for which corrective action is warranted, Fitz also deserves significant leniency and presumption of innocence from any intentional action. I for one believe that Northwestern is best served for Fitz to continue as coach for a very long time.

Finally, as the administrative leader, the university president bears some accountability in this matter as well. I expect that it would be appropriate that any further punishment levied on Fitz would likewise be allocated to the university president.
I think a significant part of the issue in this situation is that poor performance draws closer scrutiny. It is almost like where you can't fire the person due to the poor performance in and of itself, so you start looking closely at other infractions that are more objectively fire-able offenses and go with progressive discipline or a "performance improvement plan" to ease them out. So, one question is, "if Fitz had just come off of winning three straight West division titles with 1 Big Ten Championship, then would this hazing issue have even come out? To be clear, perhaps there would have been a response, but something along the lines of a corrective action plan where staff and players go through intensive anti-hazing training. Another question might be, assuming this premise about poor performance drawing closer scrutiny, is that will there be something else that comes out next that might have otherwise flew under the radar like driving a couple MPH over the speed limit? Perhaps it is a call or email to a recruit outside the allowed contact period or an extra practice? And then that leads to other questions about who associated with the program would have an interest in tarnishing FItz - would it be some powerful booster, the AD, the Administration, etc.

If what is in the article is even just mostly true, and whether Fitz knew or not, I think he will be forced to negotiate an exit package.

In which case, how did a 6-month investigation miss these details? I don't see how it could, in which case, either a) There was a cover up, or b) The article is largely false. Between those two, I just can't imagine a cover up in this day and age.
Honestly, I think the only thing that changed is that the public knows more details (at least from the accuser's perspective).

As far as I can see/read/tell, the accuser was interviewed by the firm and I will assume told the same story. The difference is the Daily can just put report the story, put it into the universe and let readers decide. The firm did their super-duper deep dive and concluded that Fitz either probably knew or should have known SOMETHING was going on, but they can't legally prove with certainty that he did - hence the two-week suspension for some degree of willful ignorance/negligence.

It's clear they never thought the details of the investigation would get out. How such experienced, highly-paid administrators couldn't foresee this...?

Reactions: NJcatsfan
the biggest issue is the dry humping and the naked center-quarterback exchange and the car wash tradition and the idea that non-disgruntled sources, per Lou, think Fitz knew.

the biggest issue is the dry humping and the naked center-quarterback exchange and the car wash tradition and the idea that non-disgruntled sources, per Lou, think Fitz knew.
Richard Nixon GIF by GIPHY News

The question I have is what is “it”? It was no secret. Ok, let’s get someone on the record to detail what “it” was? I should hope that the report from the law firm would outline what “it” was with corroborating evidence (specific details). If the allegations from the daily article are true, I don’t think Fitz survives.

Corbi:

I think we've clashed a few times, but I applaud you for approaching this thing with integrity.
Fitz deserves the chance to defend himself.
The "anonymous" accuser(s) have to come forward publicly and face the guy they are trying to destroy.
The reaction of some "Northwestern supporters," the rabid rush to judgment, has been very disappointing - to be as nice as I can.

If you don't have integrity, you have nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT