ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana undefeated at 7-0

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA
Indiana blows out Nebby 56-7. Pretty impressive. Potentially a top 10 team. Just show we had a decent outing against them. They still have to play UM and Ohio State but they have the #1 BigTen offense so they should be competing against the top dogs.

We played them tough. They’re legit. Not sure it’s sustainable after this season given they have a crazy amount of transfers but give them credit for 2024 no doubt.

Reactions: rmndcat
We played them tough. They’re legit. Not sure it’s sustainable after this season given they have a crazy amount of transfers but give them credit for 2024 no doubt.
Cignetti probably gets poached by a big time program after this year.

They are 100% for real. The eye test makes that pretty clear. Two very interesting home tests in a row coming up for them before they get their crack against the Death Star horseshoe.

Cignetti probably gets poached by a big time program after this year.
Why would he leave? He can bring in a whole new team again next year, and he's headed for the playoffs this season The Hoosiers just pulverized a 5 and 1 Nebraska team and I haven't seen many teams that look any better.

Reactions: Eurocat
They'll beat Michigan. Michigan is pretty bad this year. OSU game will be fun.

Illinois looks like they’re just a 1/2 to 3/4 notch below Indiana, dominating Michigan although only up 13-0 so far and they had the defensive head scratcher against Purdue.

Michigan is not good. NU has a shot at beating Michigan. Illinois has a nice team but they are not close to Indiana’s level right now.
For once, you and I agree. Michigan has like 2/3 of a very good team and 1/3 of a horrible team. Indiana is far more impressive than either so far. Michigan gets their crack at them though.

Reactions: corbi296
OSU will score 40 on Indy. Maybe that won’t be enough, but they will score.
Yeah, they I say Indiana is “for real” I mean they’re a genuinely very good team who, given their schedule, has a pretty clear path to a playoff bearth of they can make the plays to win the 1 of the key games they have left and don’t stumble to a vastly inferior team.

By “for real” I don’t necessarily AT ALL mean “up to the standard of the 3-5 absurdly superior NFL-in-training teams” that OSU exists solidly within.

Could be very much a game worth watching though.

Reactions: corbi296
Why would he leave? He can bring in a whole new team again next year, and he's headed for the playoffs this season The Hoosiers just pulverized a 5 and 1 Nebraska team and I haven't seen many teams that look any better.
Same reason Kalen DeBoer ran into the arms of Bama after leading Washington to the national title game - an agent whispering in his ear that he has to strike while the iron is hot, go where you can win a national title and it ain't Bloomington, make a business decision for your family, and so on.

Honestly...this is what I worry about in the post-Fitz era...including with Braun - sustained success will get the coach on a plane to a bigger program with unlimited resources.

Same reason Kalen DeBoer ran into the arms of Bama after leading Washington to the national title game - an agent whispering in his ear that he has to strike while the iron is hot, go where you can win a national title and it ain't Bloomington, make a business decision for your family, and so on.

Honestly...this is what I worry about in the post-Fitz era...including with Braun - sustained success will get the coach on a plane to a bigger program with unlimited resources.
That’s a good problem to have. It means you have a great season or seasons. Let’s hope that’s true for us!

Cig is an old man. May be perfectly content with the cult like status he has at Indiana at this stage of his career.

Or, he has more urgency to climb to the next rung of the ladder to try to make his mark at more of a blue blood school before retiring.
Yeah, doesn’t have to worry about not finding his next next job if his next job doesn’t go right.

In this day of NIL though all a school like IU has to do to become a major player (or at least convince a coach it’s going to be a major player with him at the helm) is raise the right amount of money, and that money isn’t measured in the hundreds of millions for facilities upgrades any more

Reactions: Eurocat
Yeah, doesn’t have to worry about not finding his next next job if his next job doesn’t go right.

In this day of NIL though all a school like IU has to do to become a major player (or at least convince a coach it’s going to be a major player with him at the helm) is raise the right amount of money, and that money isn’t measured in the hundreds of millions for facilities upgrades any more
I think Saban's retirement says a lot about how unpredictable fielding a winning CFB program is right now. A genius coach like him with the W-L record to prove it knows/knew that NIL would throw roster management and team culture into a tailspin - every year even more of a revolving door than SEC schools in particular already had going.

My point is that I think you're right - IU could actually become a destination school under the right circumstances, despite not having a rich football heritage.

I think Saban's retirement says a lot about how unpredictable fielding a winning CFB program is right now. A genius coach like him with the W-L record to prove it knows/knew that NIL would throw roster management and team culture into a tailspin - every year even more of a revolving door than SEC schools in particular already had going.

My point is that I think you're right - IU could actually become a destination school under the right circumstances, despite not having a rich football heritage.
I mean, Saban is also 72, it’s not like he didn’t coach well into relatively advanced age by coach standards

I'd take the Indiana bag if I were him, but who knows. He can probably get any open job if he wants after this. Florida or whoever fires their coach this offseason would jump at him.

Indiana should go 11-1 and get a CFP bid. Almost unreal to think a first year Indiana coach could pull that off. He had a great team at JMU and has played the portal masterfully bringing over some of the JMU guys and a lot of other players around the country.

They'll beat Michigan. Michigan is pretty bad this year. OSU game will be fun.
I hope you are right. Will be at MSU and UM games. Crazy that former IU, mostly back-up qb, Jack Tuttle, will be leading UM into Bloomington (if he stays healthy, which was rarely the case at IU).

He has a big ego from what I hear. Those type of guys will be ant to prove themselves at the bigger schools:
He definitely does and he also has a Fitz like prick attitude I feel which won’t be so endearing when they begin to lose.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT