ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the hospital where Damar Hamlin's life was saved

Eurocat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I don't know where even to start an excerpt of this one.

This is a very well reported look at what happened.

I don't know where even to start an excerpt of this one.

This is a very well reported look at what happened.

Very proud of my other alma mater

Reactions: Eurocat
00cardiac-01-jtmc-jumbo.jpg

Very proud of my other alma mater
Lots of great medicine in Cincy. Really a terrific city in so many ways.

The aftershock of working in a Level I trauma center is real and significant and runs throughout the team. Several years ago my son was the lead doctor on the Parkland Hospital ER team when 6 critically shot police officers were wheeled through the doors. You may recall a sniper in Dallas that day looking to kill as many officers as he could.

The entire Hospital had to be secured. Nobody in or out once they learned the back story. The threat of more deadly violence in or around the Hospital had to be taken seriously. Priorities dictated by life and death consequences had to be established. In his immediate crosshairs was a flat line officer. My son opened the officers chest and with his own hands massaged the heart and lungs back to life. Then to surgery. One life saved.

When it was over, and the acute stage of saving lives had passed there were tears everywhere throughout the team. Tears from the emotional trauma to the team members and tears of gratefulness for all their training and expertise and another job well done.

And for the better part of the next year the lead doc was involved in monitoring the mental health of the team and then sharing with others what they learned. It’s a continuous process because of the continuous trauma many of our ER teams are subjected to.

Thank God we have extraordinary people doing exceptional things when we need them most.

GOUNUII

The aftershock of working in a Level I trauma center is real and significant and runs throughout the team. Several years ago my son was the lead doctor on the Parkland Hospital ER team when 6 critically shot police officers were wheeled through the doors. You may recall a sniper in Dallas that day looking to kill as many officers as he could.

The entire Hospital had to be secured. Nobody in or out once they learned the back story. The threat of more deadly violence in or around the Hospital had to be taken seriously. Priorities dictated by life and death consequences had to be established. In his immediate crosshairs was a flat line officer. My son opened the officers chest and with his own hands massaged the heart and lungs back to life. Then to surgery. One life saved.

When it was over, and the acute stage of saving lives had passed there were tears everywhere throughout the team. Tears from the emotional trauma to the team members and tears of gratefulness for all their training and expertise and another job well done.

And for the better part of the next year the lead doc was involved in monitoring the mental health of the team and then sharing with others what they learned. It’s a continuous process because of the continuous trauma many of our ER teams are subjected to.

Thank God we have extraordinary people doing exceptional things when we need them most.

GOUNUII
Amen! You must be extraordinarily proud of your son. Amazing people who do that kind of thing under extreme circumstances.

Amen! You must be extraordinarily proud of your son. Amazing people who do that kind of thing under extreme circumstances.
Yes C. I am.

Thank you for your very kind comment.

GOUNUII

GOUNUII
Best post ever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT