ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting tidbit on conference realignment

“Is this a loss for the Big 12, absolutely?” said a high-ranking official “Is it fatal? Absolutely not. We see doors open, and we’ll run right through those doors. I would think that we go big. We have some opportunity for our teams.”

Yeah, bud, see, when you lose both OU and Texas, you have already ‘gone big.’ Those doors you‘re about to run through lead into the slaughterhouse.

But I suppose your teams might get the opportunity to travel to Utah frequently. That’s a form of opportunity. I’ll give you that.

Reactions: drewjin
Is this what "everything being fine" looks like? And you say we're supposed to enjoy this?
Change is the one constant in life my friend. And we’re either going to have a little of it or a lot of it in the CFB world. But NU football will still offer the same value prop that it always has, if not better with NIL approved.

Get your popcorn ready.

I remember when Hulk Hogan and Randy Macho Man Savage got together to form the Mega Powers of Wrestling. I thought it would be world domination for years to come. The whole thing blew up after about one year, with Miss Elizabeth right in the middle.

The whole issue about a mega conference is that there still can be only one conference champion. And I still think it is likely that 2-3 programs are dominant, while the rest get their nuts kicked in pretty regularly, and start to look like mediocre programs against such tough competition. What in the hell happens to Michigan and Florida State when they play OSU, Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma, etc every year? It won't be pretty.

Change is the one constant in life my friend. And we’re either going to have a little of it or a lot of it in the CFB world. But NU football will still offer the same value prop that it always has, if not better with NIL approved.

Get your popcorn ready.
Change can be good and change can be bad. Change for the sake of change is foolish.

Get your popcorn ready.
Crap. Harvard offers as much “value prop“, but I'm not eating that popcorn while watching a Crimson game.

Change can be good and change can be bad. Change for the sake of change is foolish.
Agreed. But this isn't just for the sake of change. And it's going to be bad.

It's all about the money, which has now totally dominated all aspects of college football. This is all about the greed of big name teams, who already make a ton of money, adding even more to their coffers. And then there is the money aspect for the players with the NIL fiasco. And I'm sure that the TV networks are thrilled as well with opportunities it will bring them to make even more money.

I said this in another thread. It's the money, money, money. And everybody wants to put their hand in the money jar including 18 year old's who have done nothing whatsoever to earn it.

It's a terrible and unfortunate development that will change the basic nature of college football and make it into essentially another pro league just with younger players.

Two of my boys did. I would have loved to go with them. They said it was cold and the seats were concrete. They loved it!
Have not been to "The Game" in person, but when my son was attending Harvard, we parents were invited to join with the local group of alumni to watch "The Game" together in the boardroom of a local bank. Definitely an experience to remember. Now that son married a Princeton grad so "The Game" has taken on even added meaning for them.

Reactions: StreamCat
I remember when Hulk Hogan and Randy Macho Man Savage got together to form the Mega Powers of Wrestling. I thought it would be world domination for years to come. The whole thing blew up after about one year, with Miss Elizabeth right in the middle.

The whole issue about a mega conference is that there still can be only one conference champion. And I still think it is likely that 2-3 programs are dominant, while the rest get their nuts kicked in pretty regularly, and start to look like mediocre programs against such tough competition. What in the hell happens to Michigan and Florida State when they play OSU, Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma, etc every year? It won't be pretty.

Michigan has looked pretty mediocre in the current Big Ten recently, let alone in a super conference.

Reactions: No Chores
Michigan has looked pretty mediocre in the current Big Ten recently, let alone in a super conference.
Doesn’t matter. They’re still a blue blood and if they hired the right coach they’d be back in the national conversation.

Let’s just hope they don’t make Fitz a Godfather offer.

I confess that it would be a nice consolation prize to see Michigan lose 5 games a year; however, the SEC would likely have 4 divisions or something like that, with the requisite amount of tomato cans per division that the erstwhile blue bloods would have a chance to engage in puffery prior to getting clobbered in the league's playoffs

Waiting for Sir Yacht to chime in. I won’t believe a thing until he weighs in.
Dare you comment on the free board? Wow. Will gocats go be rooted out also or will he share with the rock all his "top secret" expert info on who is leaving or coming to the conference?
Of course, the Rock will have all the exclusive info on realignment before espn.

Doesn’t matter. They’re still a blue blood and if they hired the right coach they’d be back in the national conversation.

Let’s just hope they don’t make Fitz a Godfather offer.
I take it you mean the Fitz that just signed the multiyear extension. Who is the right coach? They thought Harbag was going to be the messiah. The Michigan brand has taken a few hits recently, and I don't think getting back to where they were is going to be easy, especially if they get in a conference where Clemson, Alabama, Georgia and others as well as Ohio State can slap them around.

I take it you mean the Fitz that just signed the multiyear extension. Who is the right coach? They thought Harbag was going to be the messiah. The Michigan brand has taken a few hits recently, and I don't think getting back to where they were is going to be easy, especially if they get in a conference where Clemson, Alabama, Georgia and others as well as Ohio State can slap them around.
This is just a hunch based on no more information than anyone else here has...but I think the NIL stuff will send Fitz to the NFL long before he jumps to another college program where it would make him even sicker to his stomach...and probably faster than we're ready for him to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT