ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting

stpaulcat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
St. Paul
That with all the complaining about Thorson (and Fitz), we still have beaten two teams (last two weeks) that today beat two top ten teams in the country and just won a third in a venue in which it is never an easy win. AND we came damn close to beating Wisconsin as well. I, for one, am not complaining. In spite of inconsistent QB play, we've won four (tough ones) in a row and look to now run the table (I do worry about Purdue), since Illinois and Minnesota have defenses that appear to want to let the opposing team score. Overall, I think this is now the best team we've had in a number of years, considering both offense and defense. I'm sorry if I sound like Wrassler.

That with all the complaining about Thorson (and Fitz), we still have beaten two teams (last two weeks) that today beat two top ten teams in the country and just won a third in a venue in which it is never an easy win. AND we came damn close to beating Wisconsin as well. I, for one, am not complaining. In spite of inconsistent QB play, we've won four (tough ones) in a row and look to now run the table (I do worry about Purdue), since Illinois and Minnesota have defenses that appear to want to let the opposing team score. Overall, I think this is now the best team we've had in a number of years, considering both offense and defense. I'm sorry if I sound like Wrassler.
Thank you Stream, I had a feeling you would agree with me on this one.

Reactions: StreamCat
If, by detractors, you mean those who complain bitterly (like me), winning is a balm to soothe the worst of wounds.

Can't imagine he was referring to you; outside of impulsive game thread rants that are comedic to read after the fact, you are quite fair in your crticism, imo, and you are supportive and post a lot after a win. There are some people who hyperpost here after a loss and disappear after a win; those are the "detractors" to whom I believe stpaulcat is referring.

Can't imagine he was referring to you; outside of impulsive game thread rants that are comedic to read after the fact, you are quite fair in your crticism, imo, and you are supportive and post a lot after a win. There are some people who hyperpost here after a loss and disappear after a win; those are the "detractors" to whom I believe stpaulcat is referring.

I do not disappear after a win. I was out celebrating in Lincoln after the game. The old rail yard/station area is great. We are at Brewski's after the game, Mistys prior to the game and The Single Barrell on Friday night. Great college atmosphere. They are nicest people in the world. Friendly, talkative and not fake nice, but genuine.

Game was great. Buddies saw us on television. Result and etc. did not change my opinion of the staff. Nice to see pulling guards.

Reactions: IGNORE2
During a game I use language that would embarrass Howard Stern. I frighten people who sit near me at home games. Go CATS!!!!!

Reactions: catfans5
During a game I use language that would embarrass Howard Stern. I frighten people who sit near me at home games. Go CATS!!!!!
The more emotionally involved in a game I get, which usually translates into how angry I become at the bonehead play calling or the refs or the drops, the better I feel when it is all over. If we win that is.

Last edited:
Nice to see pulling guards.
Seemed like two lead blockers from the O-Line on every play. I saw the center and the backside tackle on one snap in particular.

I'm happy you noticed as well - part of me thought I just hadn't been paying attention during JJTBC's reign.

Are people hoping Thorson stays another year now? That talk died down and I don't personally think Thorson is as marketable to the NFL as he would be with another year and most of his offense back next year, but the only remaining question for me this year is this, who the hell will we play in the bowl game? I personally don't care about a 10th win against a stink team, I'd rather play a tough SEC team and upset them.

Seemed like two lead blockers from the O-Line on every play. I saw the center and the backside tackle on one snap in particular.

I'm happy you noticed as well - part of me thought I just hadn't been paying attention during JJTBC's reign.

We are going to miss his one to two yard gains. Awesome dude.

Are people hoping Thorson stays another year now? That talk died down and I don't personally think Thorson is as marketable to the NFL as he would be with another year and most of his offense back next year, but the only remaining question for me this year is this, who the hell will we play in the bowl game? I personally don't care about a 10th win against a stink team, I'd rather play a tough SEC team and upset them.
Absolutely hope Thorson is back. It will be good for NU and good for him. And, I will get to buy season tickets again. I would like to see us play any team in the top 25 as our bowl opponent (and beat them!), except for a team in the American conference. Where the heck did they come from?

It's also interesting that in 12 hours, the detractors have gone silent.

Cushing still has to go. Springer too. Fitz is still not a good game day coach and the team won despite his efforts. When we win the bowl against a respected opponent through offensive dominance starting in the trenches, you can tell me I'm a fool. But respond snarky and it not happen, archives are my friends ;P

Cushing still has to go. Springer too. Fitz is still not a good game day coach and the team won despite his efforts. When we win the bowl against a respected opponent through offensive dominance starting in the trenches, you can tell me I'm a fool. But respond snarky and it not happen, archives are my friends ;P
Fitz is at least a decent game day coach, good enough for me and certainly for NU. If he weren't, we would not have beaten Iowa, MSU AND Nebraska this year. We do pretty damn well with talent such as the #6 all time B1G rusher. I believe that your are correct that certain coaches need to be replaced, and I suspect that Cushing is currently getting A LOT of help to bolster the OL. Could we use a general coaching shake up to get to the top of the B1G, probably, but on defense I wouldn't change a thing and pray that Hank doesn't retire soon. Considering the problems we have been having, I think McCall has responded well--you have zeroed in on the two problem areas, but personally I don't think throwing the baby out with the bath water is a solution.

We actually did that in the last bowl vs. a ranked opponent, unless rolling up 248 yards rushing was not sufficient "trench domination" in your book.

Hey! I'm not that bad. And my heart is in the right place.... I just have a low tolerance for pain.
I think maybe he meant that WE put the GAME on ignore for you, so you can rake leaves or something and save yourself from a possible unwanted ambulance ride.

Truk,

Gonna be tough to find a "tough" SEC team for a bowl matchup. After Bama, Georgia, and Auburn, the dropoff is pretty severe. The ACC is a much deeper conference now.

Fitz is at least a decent game day coach, good enough for me and certainly for NU. If he weren't, we would not have beaten Iowa, MSU AND Nebraska this year. We do pretty damn well with talent such as the #6 all time B1G rusher. I believe that your are correct that certain coaches need to be replaced, and I suspect that Cushing is currently getting A LOT of help to bolster the OL. Could we use a general coaching shake up to get to the top of the B1G, probably, but on defense I wouldn't change a thing and pray that Hank doesn't retire soon. Considering the problems we have been having, I think McCall has responded well--you have zeroed in on the two problem areas, but personally I don't think throwing the baby out with the bath water is a solution.

I am not all in on removing PF - unless he refuses to change some coaching spots. I would like to see someone else manage the game day calls. PF's explanation was that he was multi-tasking, well stop. He is not so great at any game day task that another coach could not handle part of the responsibilities.

I guess my real beef with PF is his stubbornness. Too stubborn to make changes - whether coaching, or game day decisions, etc. I have always felt that he is a great representative, a sound recruiter and a tremendous leader for the young minds under his wings. But embrace the change!

Truk,

Gonna be tough to find a "tough" SEC team for a bowl matchup. After Bama, Georgia, and Auburn, the dropoff is pretty severe. The ACC is a much deeper conference now.

So Jack...let me ask you this...if we roll into Orlando to play LSU or draw South Carolina or Texas A&M in Nashville...how much are you betting on Northwestern to win outright?

So Jack...let me ask you this...if we roll into Orlando to play LSU or draw South Carolina or Texas A&M in Nashville...how much are you betting on Northwestern to win outright?

We should slaughter those turkeys. Seriously, I would welcome any of those three matchups.

Hard to believe the team that got pushed all over the field by Duke and PSU is the same one that won the last 3.

By the slightest of margins over the past 3 games, the coaches look like world beaters, and as much as any of us may dislike any of these guys for this and that, these results speak for themselves.

I'm one who thinks CT hasn't the slightest intention of going pro. Maybe he has the tools and the size, but he has a lot to prove on the field to get himself into the top of the draft and it seems he knows it. Some say the NU WRs can't play, but sure did like that catch Macan made. I'm sure CT did too. Future to be made.

GC

Hey Dacat and gcg, per your request. I found dozens of examples that I don’t disappear after wins. Your welcome to change your insult, but care to admit you were wrong so I don’t spend some time proving it?

Lou - before they start complaining about the archives, they accuse me of something to insult and lie about me. That’s not right and this is a solution. If folks don’t lie, then I wouldn’t go this route.

Hey Dacat and gcg, per your request. I found dozens of examples that I don’t disappear after wins. Your welcome to change your insult, but care to admit you were wrong so I don’t spend some time proving it?

Lou - before they start complaining about the archives, they accuse me of something to insult and lie about me. That’s not right and this is a solution. If folks don’t lie, then I wouldn’t go this route.

I’ll show them, Bob said to himself, poring over the board archives. I’ll find a post where I was on the boards after good things happened! Hmm... let me see...

I’ve got it! I’ll share this post where I crapped on the coaching staff after their fourth straight B1G win knowing full well that there are three straight B1G wins after that one, plus a bowl win over a SEC team. That’ll show them!

You’re a joke, man. Not sure why I even keep responding so... not gonna anymore. Enjoy your sad little life.

Last edited:

If you can find a way to beat Michigan and Nebraska, I think GCG and DaCat should let you off the hook. Personally, I think you can do it bobbabooey, you're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, people will like you.

I’ll show them, Bob said to himself, poring over the board archives. I’ll find a post where I was on the boards after good things happened! Hmm... let me see...

I’ve got it! I’ll share this post where I crapped on the coachin staff after their fourth straight B1G win knowing full well that there are three straight B1G wins after that one, plus a bowl win over a SEC team. That’ll show them!

You’re a joke, man. Not sure why I even keep responding so... not gonna anymore. Enjoy your sad little life.

Promises, promises, my lying friend. Tough to spread fake news in an archive environment. You really sure you want to say a had to search far and wide. Want me to show your lying consistently now?

If you can find a way to beat Michigan and Nebraska, I think GCG and DaCat should let you off the hook. Personally, I think you can do it bobbabooey, you're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, people will like you.

If I could, people wouldn’t like me, they would pay me millions to coach their team.

If I could, people wouldn’t like me, they would pay me millions to coach their team.
You may have Caisson disease from coming up too fast after the Akron loss. Back down quick and come up more slowly. Hate to see you end up in the hyperbaric chamber.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT