ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa football, again ...

kaTNap

Gold Member
Nov 7, 2005
Nashville, TN

(Click on the letter in the upper left hand quadrant.)

I hope Fitz shows this to every one of our recruits who is considering Iowa.

The comments, of course.

People really need to ask themselves “If this happened to another team, would I have a problem with it?” Maybe then they wouldn’t let fandom control their rational thought.

Once we start acknowledging that OUR guy is fallible, then we will start making progress

Reactions: Fitz51
Once we start acknowledging that OUR guy is fallible, then we will start making progress
If you think those dunce Coaches Doyle or Ferentz Jr. would last under Fitz, you should think again. He would fire any coaches who pulled this stuff as soon as he could if he knew about their racist antics.

I have no idea why you’d imply Fitz would condone this situation or that his “fallibility” has anything to do with the awful atmosphere at Iowa.

If you think those dunce Coaches Doyle or Ferentz Jr. would last under Fitz, you should think again. He would fire any coaches who pulled this stuff as soon as he could if he knew about their racist antics.

I have no idea why you’d imply Fitz would condone this situation or that his “fallibility” has anything to do with the awful atmosphere at Iowa.

Didn't mean OUR as Fitz. meant anyone on our side, anyone with whom we agree. Blind loyalty is killing all of us and Iowa's reaction is a prime example. We saw it at PSU, we see it in politics.

Didn't mean OUR as Fitz. meant anyone on our side, anyone with whom we agree. Blind loyalty is killing all of us and Iowa's reaction is a prime example. We saw it at PSU, we see it in politics.
Fair enough.

If Wadley’s story is true and par for the course - which it appears to be - then Ferentz clearly has to go. I’m neither a fan of nepotism nor protecting racists.

Soon this will be another example of conviction by social media. What the reality is, other than Akrum Wadley was unhappy, who knows, but does it merit an immediate, uninformed public crucifixion? This public blame culture which is only increasing will end badly for society. Not having any facts, I elect not to participate.

Reactions: d'son d and drewjin
Soon this will be another example of conviction by social media. What the reality is, other than Akrum Wadley was unhappy, who knows, but does it merit an immediate, uninformed public crucifixion? This public blame culture which is only increasing will end badly for society. Not having any facts, I elect not to participate.
Daniels and other Iowa players have spoken out about the toxic culture at Iowa towards black players. One player with a learning disability was bullied by the coaches as well.

Coaching is a sacred art that requires the inherent trust of your players and their families. If I were an African American recruit, I would never consider Iowa while the Ferentzes are there. We’ll see what happens.

Angry Iowa Running Back Hating God turns out not to be God, but the gods of the Iowa football program.

The strength coach has already been let go over prior accusations of racism. So far this seems more like just desserts than public crucifixion.

I wonder if anything has ever been Akrum Wadley's fault.

Many fans on social media claiming they paid for signed stuff from him last year, and he took the money and didn’t send them anything and blocks all the people who speak up. Also a graphic designer who designed some logo for gear Wadley sells claims he’s never been paid.

Ferentz Jr, Wallace, etc should still be gone.

The comments, of course.

People really need to ask themselves “If this happened to another team, would I have a problem with it?” Maybe then they wouldn’t let fandom control their rational thought.

And yet I remember the general tenor of the reactions to Kain Colter's public statements and testimony ...

https://www.insidenu.com/2014/2/19/5417806/kain-colter-northwestern-football-union-capa-nlrb

That said, Wadley's allegations are much worse, in particular the racial elements ("are you going to rob a liquor store"), and backed up by other athletes who have spoken out against Iowa. Kirk Ferentz should probably ease his son off the coaching staff.

probably rant board material but here goes.

1) apparently racist is worse than rapist, as we've seen some real B.S. relative to sexual assault allegations, whereas a tweet from 2012 can get someone "cancelled". Anyway twitter is for twits, so...
2) Any of us in an unprotected group are vulnerable. Even the appearance of non-compliance is Orwellian.
3) "I weep for the future"

Former NU prospect Faith Ekakitie also went on the record on how his time at Iowa wasn't the greatest experience.

Yes and he likely would have been at NU but grades weren’t high enough (it was his first choice if I remember)

Just asking, how many times have you seen him?

In his case I haven't. Don't get out as much as I used to, particularly to the northern suburbs. I am relying on what I've seen online and the insight from others that know what they are talking about.

In his case I haven't. Don't get out as much as I used to, particularly to the northern suburbs. I am relying on what I've seen online and the insight from others that know what they are talking about.

Then maybe “Pittman may be a lot better prospect than what you suggest” or “There are experts I’ve read who say Pittman may be a lot better prospect than what you suggest.”

Then maybe “Pittman may be a lot better prospect than what you suggest” or “There are experts I’ve read who say Pittman may be a lot better prospect than what you suggest.”

First of all, I don't see anything inconsistent with what I said and with your interpretation of what I said. Secondly, this is not something I read, this is based on my own review of his HUDL film and conversations I have regularly about Illinois HS football with people who have been following Illinois HS football and recruiting for a long time.

Last edited:
First of all, I don't see anything inconsistent with what I said and with your interpretation of what I said. Secondly, this is not something I read, this is based on my own review of his HUDL film and conversations I have regularly about Illinois HS football with people who have been following Illinois HS football and recruiting for a long time.

You stated it as a (seemingly) statement of fact with no support behind it. That’s the difference.

You stated it as a (seemingly) statement of fact with no support behind it. That’s the difference.

On its face your statement is ridiculous. Opinions on the quality of a HS football player are subjective by definition, not absolute statements of fact. The qualifier “I think” was implied in my statement of opinion but I guess that wasn’t obvious to you.

Getting Pittman would be a great get but not urgent. We badly need wide receivers and holding on to the incompetent McCall too long has killed us on this. I’m not convinced that Springer is the answer either.

Reactions: drewjin
On its face your statement is ridiculous. Opinions on the quality of a HS football player are subjective by definition, not absolute statements of fact. The qualifier “I think” was implied in my statement of opinion but I guess that wasn’t obvious to you.

Or the other poster, which is why he asked about your direct knowledge.

Our coaches would obviously agree with your assessment.
I don’t claim to be an expert. I tend to under value local talent. I missed badly on Garrafalo and watching him in HS wasn't convinced he was a P5 starter. I thought Kmet would be a good player but not a second rounder, missed again. Thought Baz would be a stud, but that was an easy analysis, especially if you had a view into his personality. These are local kids either from my neighborhood or where my kids went to school with them. So, I got a peak at them up close. DT is a development position and all I will say is Pittman has to put in the work because he has a long ways to go. It appears he does put in the work.

I asked if Corb had seem him, because it came off as a statement of fact or backed by some insider knowledge. If his sources are coaches or talent evaluators then I am sure they are more valid that my layman analysis based on nothing more than my two eyes. Not trying to disparage the kid and hope he succeeds, but my opinion of where he is now was quickly dismissed without any insight as to why.

Or the other poster, which is why he asked about your direct knowledge.

Even if I had seen him play in person, my view of his abilities would still be an opinion, not a statement of fact.

Last edited:
I don’t claim to be an expert. I tend to under value local talent. I missed badly on Garrafalo and watching him in HS wasn't convinced he was a P5 starter. I thought Kmet would be a good player but not a second rounder, missed again. Thought Baz would be a stud, but that was an easy analysis, especially if you had a view into his personality. These are local kids either from my neighborhood or where my kids went to school with them. So, I got a peak at them up close. DT is a development position and all I will say is Pittman has to put in the work because he has a long ways to go. It appears he does put in the work.

I asked if Corb had seem him, because it came off as a statement of fact or backed by some insider knowledge. If his sources are coaches or talent evaluators then I am sure they are more valid that my layman analysis based on nothing more than my two eyes. Not trying to disparage the kid and hope he succeeds, but my opinion of where he is now was quickly dismissed without any insight as to why.

Not dismissed at all. This is not a science. I just think you are undervaluing his potential, just like you think I am undervaluing Jimenez’s potential. Just two differing opinions. I do think Coral brings up a good point though. Pittman was one of the first players offered by our staff, regardless of position or location. Those super early offers are usually a sign of strong conviction from our staff and their track record with those kind of players is usually pretty good.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT