ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa football

DkeCat

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2002
A lot of noise tonight about the culture of the Iowa football program. Try to follow the initial tweet by James Daniels and read some of the responses. Not a good day for them.

Reactions: corbi296
He also posted this...

I’m not a bit Twitter guy but I wish I were on it to like that post by James Daniels!

NU’s graduation rate for black athletes is #1 in the nation (which I knew). However I didn’t know we were twice as high as Iowa, most of the SEC including duhOSU, and... Cal Berkeley?!?

Daniels was offered by us; perhaps he appreciates this important statistic more as he’s grown older, but I wish he’d had this stance as a recruit. He would have looked incredible in Purple.

FWIW this story is making a bit of national news:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29273365/former-iowa-players-speak-program-culture

Last edited:
I hope HS recruits of every ethnicity and their parents pay attention to these warnings and these lists.

Reactions: Fitz51
Wow... seems like this Doyle character is a piece of work. For those who don’t want to click into that awful site, multiple players allege he was the main source whereas Ferentz was allegedly unaware. It still doesn’t explain their abysmal AA graduate rate under him.

I’ve got my own crystal ball... sensing a suspension and review in 5, 4, 3, 2...

I’m thinking we probably shouldn’t cast stones on this one.

There are about two dozen black former players coming out with racially insensitive allegations, plus a former white player with ADHD detailing bullying he got from coaches for a learning disability.

I would be shocked if Iowa doesn’t clean house.

Whenever the meat of your statement starts with “I was asked to remain silent” it’s probably for a good reason and something you should have listened to.

It’s pretty interesting how much value to a program and influence on a culture that the strength coach — somebody whose name only the craziest of the crazy knows — has on a program.

Depending on the coach, many feel their job is to berate and beat down — “I think you’re a bitch prove me wrong and put up that weight.”

He’s obviously succeeded with many — and is also probably a reason at least a few have chosen Iowa over Northwestern over the years.

An article from a few years ago:
https://amp.hawkcentral.com/amp/474494001

That’s every single interaction,” Doyle says. “Every single time you shake an athlete’s hand and look them in the eye (or) see them in the morning when they walk in the building, you are developing their character. You are developing your relationship with them.

“How they’re going to view the day. How they’re going to take on the day. How they view adversity. How they view opportunity.”

Also says Bob Sanders was a little bit like “Mike Tyson in the 80s” when he arrived in Iowa City from Erie Cathedral, which feels kind of reminiscent of him telling that player from Don Bosco Prep that he’d be back on the streets.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Not really a denial. More “I don’t think that nonsense actually crossed any lines.”

Also not sure if the guy who sent a bunch of guys to the hospital with rhabdo wants to argue for a review based on his “full body of work.”

Horseplay!

Reactions: DaCat
By the way, if you think these same allegations couldn’t be made against, what, at least 1/3 of college programs, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

What is shocking: Iowa paid him $1.1M to walk, equivalent to 15 months of salary. If I were an Iowa taxpayer, I’d be incensed.

Seriously, you think the Iowa taxpayers are paying for the Iowa athletic department?

Seriously, you think the Iowa taxpayers are paying for the Iowa athletic department?
Of the overall Iowa budget, nearly $250M is from taxpayers. This article assumes Iowa football breaks even most years thanks to the B1G funds - they’ll have to come up with the $1.1 million to pay Doyle in the midst of the current economic climate (they already have significant debt for facilities and receive $650K a year in student fees).

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com...iowa-football-revenue-spending-funding-part-2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT