ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa football

Most college Athletic Departments are barely breaking even, Barry Alvarez immediately informed the scholarship athletes , who were granted an extra year of NCAA eligibility due to spring sports cancellation , not to return expecting an additional year of scholarships because the money isn’t there.
If the football season is cancelled most programs are screwed.

Most college Athletic Departments are barely breaking even, Barry Alvarez immediately informed the scholarship athletes , who were granted an extra year of NCAA eligibility due to spring sports cancellation , not to return expecting an additional year of scholarships because the money isn’t there.
Endowment?

And yet there are idiots who say, "Just pay the players already!" because they think the administration is sitting on a pile of money from the football team.

The revenue sports pay for non-revenue sports, including scholarships for those sports. Those opportunities will dry up if we blow up the system.

Reactions: Aging Booster
And yet there are idiots who say, "Just pay the players already!" because they think the administration is sitting on a pile of money from the football team.

The revenue sports pay for non-revenue sports, including scholarships for those sports. Those opportunities will dry up if we blow up the system.
Sounds like communism to me.

Workers should be paid. And that's not Communism!

TV money is the wild card....it is soo much....and to not share it with the people who earn it is problematic.....but how to do it? would seem that it needs to be equitable by school and player.....? but if you allow BIG MONEY...like endorsements.....how do you even keep a scent of a fair competitive climate....I personally already think the competitive climate is pretty unbalanced.. What is wrong with a good sized stipend.....especially if programs do not allow athletes to work.......Do students on scholarship for research get a stipend?

Reactions: runawayCat
Nope! It's the truth.
You do realize that the scholarship amount is way overblown, right? The buildings are there, so are the professors , as are the classes. The extras like room and board, books and fees come to about $17,000, Compare that to the posted $72,000 tuition.

You do realize that the scholarship amount is way overblown, right? The buildings are there, so are the professors , as are the classes. The extras like room and board, books and fees come to about $17,000, Compare that to the posted $72,000 tuition.
I would've loved an overblown full ride scholarship.

That’s just effing dumb. What are you some kind of Communist? Someone has to pay to keep the lights on. Someone pays for the professors’ salaries and pensions. Someone has to pay for the maintenance and construction of the buildings (which are amortized over time). Those someone’s are generally the people who pay tuitions along with the donors (and grants and cash flows from the endowments, and what not, but I’m trying to keep it simple). The tuition is calculated to be the amount needed to be covered by the students who attend, of which some of it is covered by scholarships.

A kid that doesn’t get a scholarship has to pay 72+17 = $89K.

A kid on scholarship doesn’t have to pay anything.

That’s $89K. That’s what the scholarship is worth. For crissakes, are you one of those people who says 2+2 isn’t 4? Let me guess, your politics identify with AOC and Bernie Sanders don’t they?

Last edited:
Reactions: FeralFelidae
That’s just effing dumb. Someone has to pay to keep the lights on. Someone pays for the professors’ salaries and pensions. Someone has to pay for the maintenance and construction of the buildings (which are amortized over time).

That’s $89K. That’s what the scholarship is worth. For crissakes, are you one of those people who says 2+2 isn’t 4? Let me guess, your politics identify with AOC and Bernie Sanders don’t they?
No they don't. But what you fail to understand is that the professors salaries and the maintenance of the buildings are paid, even if no scholarship athlete's attend.

No they don't. But what you fail to understand is that the professors salaries and the maintenance of the buildings are paid, even if no scholarship athlete's attend.

What you fail to understand is that if the scholarship athlete doesn’t attend, they can admit one more tuition paying student.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
What you fail to understand is that if the scholarship athlete doesn’t attend, they can admit one more tuition paying student.
Fine. Guess they can then do away with scholarships. Wonder how many luxury condos NU can build on the Central Street athletic fields and buildings.

Here is my message to those who feel they should get paid more to play college sports:

Every scholarship athlete is free to walk away from the sport if they want. No one is “enslaved” by playing college sports. There are plenty of other things that you could do, for instance like working as a mechanic as I did before I went to college, or working as a “honey dipper” (look it up) at 18 like my father did.

Feel taken advantage of? Well guess what, welcome to America, where you give something to get something, and it is better than just about any other place in the world. Be thankful. Enjoy the game you love, with your lodging, food and education covered. And you’re welcome for preferred access to a school that tens of thousands of kids (presumably with better grades and test scores, though not always) are denied access to every year.

Either that, or walk away from the game, take out a student loan like the rest of us, go to your local state university or work an honest job that does not require a four year education.

Here is my message to those who feel they should get paid more to play college sports:

Every scholarship athlete is free to walk away from the sport if they want. No one is “enslaved” by playing college sports. There are plenty of other things that you could do, for instance like working as a mechanic as I did before I went to college, or working as a “honey dipper” (look it up) at 18 like my father did.

Feel taken advantage of? Well guess what, welcome to America, where you give something to get something, and it is better than just about any other place in the world. Be thankful. Enjoy the game you love, with your lodging, food and education covered. And you’re welcome for preferred access to a school that tens of thousands of kids (presumably with better grades and test scores, though not always) are denied access to every year.

Either that, or walk away from the game, take out a student loan like the rest of us, go to your local state university or work an honest job that does not require a four year education.
OK then, guess coaches, AD's and Administrators need to take about a 75% pay cut, right? Workers who make it possible for their business to bring in huge amounts of money, should be compensated in cash.

Just curious if you and your dad got paid? and if it was a wage you liked? and you were cool with the working conditions etc? or were you forced in any way to take the pay you got...hours,,,conditions etc >>>? would you have liked to have been paid a higher wage? particularly if you found out the company was making , let just say, insane money? anyway here are two articles with some info on money in football....and dont forget the NFL makes their money off of college athletes......There are a lot of complicated issues here...as the Big Lebowski would say "Lots of Ins and lot of outs". So maybe football for an education is a fair deal...but I certainly think the athletes have a right to examine whether it is or isnt....and then act on that....
https://smartycents.com/articles/college-football-revenue/
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/07/15/nfl-revenue-owners-players-billions/

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver

I’m going to wait until tomorrow, and then I’m going to unload.

I may bring Draymond Green and a Senator with me.

Feels like the Star Spangled Banner should be sung while we read this post.

Reactions: Fitz51
OK then, guess coaches, AD's and Administrators need to take about a 75% pay cut, right? Workers who make it possible for their business to bring in huge amounts of money, should be compensated in cash.

So following your logic, Elon Musk should take a 75% pay cut because the workers on his Tesla assembly line make it possible for his business to bring in huge amounts of money?

Just curious if you and your dad got paid?

Of course.

and if it was a wage you liked?

For an eighteen year old or thereabouts, not bad.

and you were cool with the working conditions etc?

Nope, which is why we worked harder to make better lives for ourselves.

or were you forced in any way to take the pay you got...hours,,,conditions etc >>>?

I suppose by the market?

would you have liked to have been paid a higher wage?

Yes, and thanks to free market economics and hard work, we made that happen.

particularly if you found out the company was making , let just say, insane money?

So not applicable in my situation, but hypothetically it would drive me to work harder to change my life situation. Especially by maximizing my educational opportunities to attend the best college that I could by investing time and (in the case of Northwestern, a significant amount of) money into attending college.

anyway here are two articles with some info on money in football....and dont forget the NFL makes their money off of college athletes......There are a lot of complicated issues here...as the Big Lebowski would say "Lots of Ins and lot of outs". So maybe football for an education is a fair deal...but I certainly think the athletes have a right to examine whether it is or isnt....and then act on that....
https://smartycents.com/articles/college-football-revenue/
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/07/15/nfl-revenue-owners-players-billions/

I am all for giving athletes the choice to play sports in exchange for a scholarship, or not.

Sure, and so it’s a symbiotic and mutually beneficial arrangement. Everyone should be happy.
Speaking of (not) being happy: their former RB Wadley released a pretty damning statement through his attorney, specifically calling our Brian Ferentz for racial intimidation and Kirk Ferentz for taking away his meal card due to not gaining enough weight in season. He described it as a “living hell” and wish he never played there. He was a good player and I’m surprised he didn’t transfer.

If true, then I’m shocked they haven’t fired both Ferentzes yet.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ey-says-playing-hawkeyes-was-living-nightmare

Speaking of (not) being happy: their former RB Wadley released a pretty damning statement through his attorney, specifically calling our Brian Ferentz for racial intimidation and Kirk Ferentz for taking away his meal card due to not gaining enough weight in season. He described it as a “living hell” and wish he never played there. He was a good player and I’m surprised he didn’t transfer.

If true, then I’m shocked they haven’t fired both Ferentzes yet.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ey-says-playing-hawkeyes-was-living-nightmare

Iowa certainly has its problems of mistreatment and institutional abuse. I’m not sure how relevant it is to whether a scholarship to play college football is a good deal or not. As PurpleBook noted, it’s a decision to accept or decline. Not something forced on anyone.

That’s just effing dumb. What are you some kind of Communist? Someone has to pay to keep the lights on. Someone pays for the professors’ salaries and pensions. Someone has to pay for the maintenance and construction of the buildings (which are amortized over time). Those someone’s are generally the people who pay tuitions along with the donors (and grants and cash flows from the endowments, and what not, but I’m trying to keep it simple). The tuition is calculated to be the amount needed to be covered by the students who attend, of which some of it is covered by scholarships.

On this $70,000 (or whatever the figure is), how much tax do they have to pay? If football and basketball players should be paid, how much should non-revenue sports athletes get? How much should the football player who never really sees the field, either through injuries or lack of talent, get?

Iowa certainly has its problems of mistreatment and institutional abuse. I’m not sure how relevant it is to whether a scholarship to play college football is a good deal or not. As PurpleBook noted, it’s a decision to accept or decline. Not something forced on anyone.

It's a decision to accept or decline, in an industry that is quasi-monopolized. Aspiring NFL players do not really have an alternate route. This isn't exactly some free market at work.

It's a decision to accept or decline, in an industry that is quasi-monopolized. Aspiring NFL players do not really have an alternate route. This isn't exactly some free market at work.
Quasi-monopolized? It is a monopoly, plain and simple. Football players from age 18-21 have no other avenue to becoming professional athletes, thus college football functions as a free minor league for the NFL.

Whereas basketball players have multiple avenues - the G League, NCAA for one season (which is a joke), and overseas professional leagues. It is amazing that the NFL pulled off a free farm system while making billions for its 32 owners.

Players can transfer but have to sit out a year, unlike the coaches - who make millions - that can change jobs with no delay.

BTW don’t feed me bullshit about how NFL players “require” three years of development. Trevor Lawrence and many others didn’t need more than one season.

Last edited:
Quasi-monopolized? It is a monopoly, plain and simple. Football players from age 18-21 have no other avenue to becoming professional athletes, thus college football functions as a free minor league for the NFL.

Whereas basketball players have multiple avenues - the G League, NCAA for one season (which is a joke), and overseas professional leagues. It is amazing how the NFL has pulled this off.

Players can transfer but have to sit out a year, unlike the coaches - who make millions - that can change jobs with no delay.

I more or less agree. I just left that part out there because maybe a player could play in... Canada?

I more or less agree. I just left that part out there because maybe a player could play in... Canada?
The CFL is even more restrictive for some reason. NCAA players have to have completed their fourth season of eligibility:

“Since 2014, U Sports players become eligible for the CFL Draft three years after completing their first year of eligibility at university. Additionally, NCAA and NAIA players are eligible to be selected after completing their senior season of eligibility.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT