ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa-Nebraska

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
Just awful.
Both teams throw picks in a tie game inside of two minutes.

Matt Ruhle is Scott Frost, but with no previous ties to the program.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
Just awful.
Both teams throw picks in a tie game inside of two minutes.

Matt Ruhle is Scott Frost, but with no previous ties to the program.
He will get Nebraska turned around into a 7-8 win program—an improvement over Frost to be sure.

Reactions: rrdd2021
Last week Ruhle plays turtle to take a chance to win in OT, loses.
This week Ruhle (at home) decides to push it to try to win in regulation, loses in regulation due to pick.

Lesson to be learned: watch what Ruhle chooses and do the opposite.

Nebraska: seven straight losing seasons, no first round NFL draft picks since 2011, fanbase sure they have the best players in the conference and just need the right coach to unleash their potential.

The Husker boards will be amusing if nothing else this week.

At least they have women’s volleyball to feel good about!

This week Ruhle (at home) decides to push it to try to win in regulation, loses in regulation due to pick.

Nebraska: seven straight losing seasons, no first round NFL draft picks since 2011, fanbase sure they have the best players in the conference and just need the right coach to unleash their potential.

So you are saying choose the exception not the Rhule.

Never would I have thought we'd see a Nebraska slump like this.

Their fans at some point will have to rationalize expectations.

No bowls in the last 7 years of the Big Ten West, and now divisions go away and 4 helmet schools enter the Big Ten...

Reactions: DaCat

No bowls in the last 7 years of the Big Ten West, and now divisions go away and 4 helmet schools enter the Big Ten...
I didn’t realize it, but they entered the season with the longest drought among P5 programs, with their last bowl in 2016.

Arizona was next closest, not having made a bowl since 2017. Now it’s Vandy, and Stanford, since 2018. Ga Tech was also in the 2018 club but will stay at 6 after playing Georgia tomorrow.

Reactions: zeek55
Wow, I can’t wait to watch the B1G championship game. The West will go out with a whimper.

Nebraska is just a sad case study now. I cant believe we lost to them due to such completely poor offense execution.

Nebraska slump, with all their resources, shows how hard it is to win in major college football conferences. Makes one appreciate what Cats football has accomplished over the last two decades.

I can't agree more. For all the hand wringing, all the same 'ol Northwestern, talent poor, etc., NU football over the years goes out pretty regularly and proves everyone wrong. Nebraska and Ruhle went out and did a whole lot more right than wrong this year. Humble attitude, respectful, etc, and yet their players can drop balls and make mistakes at the wrong times like no one else. I wish them well now when they play anyone else but NU.

Kudos to Iowa though. Worst 10-2 team in NCAA history but hey they got there with zero offense.
God help them in the B1G championship game. PSU absolutely stomped Iowa 31-0 and in turn, both Ohio State and Michigan made PSU look like a HS team. Whoever put these B1G divisions together a few years ago should be kicked in the nuts

God help them in the B1G championship game. PSU absolutely stomped Iowa 31-0 and in turn, both Ohio State and Michigan made PSU look like a HS team. Whoever put these B1G divisions together a few years ago should be kicked in the nuts
It’s never been this lopsided. It’s probably a 30 point spread. The OSU/Michigan winner will come out flat, wake up and then roll.

I'm not going to lie.

Looking at Nebraska again this year at 5-7 and now on their 7th straight season without a bowl game just makes me appreciate what Braun and our team did this year even more.
One down, two to go to assure the Wildcats of the heading to Phoenix instead of Detroit!

Wisconsin needs to beat Minnesota to keep them from edging into the BIG Ten guaranteed bowl line-up and then if the Wildcats beat Illinois which will keep them from leap frogging us then that should leave Detroit without a BIG Ten team. Maybe one of the BIG Ten 5 win teams could get picked up by Quick Lane under the APR rule, but as a 7 game winner Northwestern should do no worse than Guaranteed Rate in Phoenix which has pecking order rights over Quick Lane.

FWIW both 247 and Action are projecting Northwestern to Phoenix with Illinois going to Detroit which at least in their view suggests that even without winning tomorrow the Wildcats will get picked over the Illini. In addition Yahoo, CBS, and Athlon all have Illinois going bowling as well so there appears to be a consensus against Northwestern beating Illinois.

Last edited:

Yes, they are extremely caught up in recruiting rankings. Certain they have more talent than Iowa (not all, but many) even though Iowa, and in connection, Wisconsin, both have shit tons, more players in the NFL than they do. Something like 30 to 17.

That is some serious coaching, turning, no talent players into NFL alum!

Yet we can’t field an offense that scores 20 points LOL!

I’ve always found it semi-insulting to the kids, pretending like KF and staff “turned” these guys into NFL players. The more likely scenario is they were poorly evaluated @ high school or under-coached and Iowa knows exactly what they’re looking for.

Incredible job by your staff guys. They really turned it around kudos!!!

The thing is that the addition of those 4 PAC 12 schools will just basically mean anyone that isn't OSU, U of M, or PSU, will basically have 4 losses almost automatically even before the first coin toss for 2024. Iowa will be a 5-6 loss team, unless they can actually get an offense built. Nebraska is going to be one of the big losers with this new alignment. WE need to up the ante with our offense to be able to compete as well. I do hope we get a new OC that has the energy that Braun has, and wants to win. Someone innovative enough to keep us competitive.

Reactions: No Chores
The thing is that the addition of those 4 PAC 12 schools will just basically mean anyone that isn't OSU, U of M, or PSU, will basically have 4 losses almost automatically even before the first coin toss for 2024. Iowa will be a 5-6 loss team, unless they can actually get an offense built. Nebraska is going to be one of the big losers with this new alignment. WE need to up the ante with our offense to be able to compete as well. I do hope we get a new OC that has the energy that Braun has, and wants to win. Someone innovative enough to keep us competitive.

Totally disagree….Oregon has had ups and downs, Washington has had even more. It’s been years since UCLA was a consistent juggernaut, like the early 80s and USC, sans Pete Carrol is only marginally better.

Lincoln Riley is the Kirk Ferentz of offense.

Why in the hell are people so terrified of these four effing schools? I would have zero issues playing UCLA or USC now, with our miserable offense!

Totally disagree….Oregon has had ups and downs, Washington has had even more. It’s been years since UCLA was a consistent juggernaut, like the early 80s and USC, sans Pete Carrol is only marginally better.

Why in the hell are people so terrified of these four effing schools? I would have zero issues playing UCLA or USC now, with our miserable offense!
I think the 4 former PAC12 have superior programs to most of the BIgTen schools at this point. Oregon and UW this year are on par with OSU and UM. UCLA and USC are at least as good as PSU. Oregon in particular has fielded a top program for many years now. I agree that most BT programs will get blown out by the new 4 schools joining the BT because their offenses are so potent that they can’t be matched by most of the other BT programs. Next year will start to reveal how competitive the new schools really are. Just don’t think that most of the old BT schools defenses will be able to match up well against an offense like Oregon’s or UW’s.

Last edited:

Totally agree. They are name schools with decent program, but only Oregon has been consistently good. USC became ordinary when Caroll left, and we've finished ranked more than UCLA [edit this century] and only marginally less than Wash.

Schedule those schools to play in the Midwest in November. They will be decimated by injuries and dropping balls like Nebraska in short order. Those teams will be better but it won't be the walk in the park everyone thinks.

Last edited:

Terrified is quite a word.
As a STH of a PAC 12 school, I’ve seen the four incoming B1G programs consistently. All four are high quality. Three (USC, Washington and Oregon) have had some excellent teams this century. Two, Washington and Oregon, are very good right now, and will be entering the conference on a par with Michigan and Ohio State.
What’s probably most important in the changing climate of college football is where each program stands in relationship to budget, NIL resources, and media exposure, all of which contribute to the ability to attract high level players. To me, the reality is that Oregon and USC both are very strong in those areas and will consistently field teams with talent levels on a par with Michigan, OSU and PSU for years to come. Washington is close, but is not quite the glamour program of those two. UCLA has been second fiddle to USC in their market for years, and will be a middling B1G program.
USC and Oregon may have a bad year (.500 or so) from time to time, but when they do, they will fire the coach and bring in a genuine first level talent, like Oregon has done with Dan Lanning.
Overall, there will now immediately be six teams that have an excellent chance to win the conference instead of 3, and long term, there will be 5 that will consistently contend. It will be even harder for teams like Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska and MSU (all of which in one ways view themselves as very strong programs) to crack the top 2. It will be even more difficult for Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland to sneak up even to the top six. Since the B1G did not include Stanford in expansion, NU remains in a class by itself, working under a somewhat different model due to its size and profile. Generally, the Cats will be hard pressed to move up in the standings; the thing it does have is a different value proposition to some players (both freshmen and transfers) due to its academic attractiveness. While in most years the Cats will probably be toward the bottom of the standings,I think it is more likely to have lightning in a bottle years where a combination of fifth year seniors and transfers give it a very good team than most of the mid and lower level teams.

Regardless, championship years are going to be hard or nearly impossible to come by for any but Michigan, OSU, PSU, Oregon, USC and maybe Washington.

As a STH of a PAC 12 school, I’ve seen the four incoming B1G programs consistently. All four are high quality. Three (USC, Washington and Oregon) have had some excellent teams this century. Two, Washington and Oregon, are very good right now, and will be entering the conference on a par with Michigan and Ohio State.
What’s probably most important in the changing climate of college football is where each program stands in relationship to budget, NIL resources, and media exposure, all of which contribute to the ability to attract high level players. To me, the reality is that Oregon and USC both are very strong in those areas and will consistently field teams with talent levels on a par with Michigan, OSU and PSU for years to come. Washington is close, but is not quite the glamour program of those two. UCLA has been second fiddle to USC in their market for years, and will be a middling B1G program.
USC and Oregon may have a bad year (.500 or so) from time to time, but when they do, they will fire the coach and bring in a genuine first level talent, like Oregon has done with Dan Lanning.
Overall, there will now immediately be six teams that have an excellent chance to win the conference instead of 3, and long term, there will be 5 that will consistently contend. It will be even harder for teams like Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska and MSU (all of which in one ways view themselves as very strong programs) to crack the top 2. It will be even more difficult for Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland to sneak up even to the top six. Since the B1G did not include Stanford in expansion, NU remains in a class by itself, working under a somewhat different model due to its size and profile. Generally, the Cats will be hard pressed to move up in the standings; the thing it does have is a different value proposition to some players (both freshmen and transfers) due to its academic attractiveness. While in most years the Cats will probably be toward the bottom of the standings,I think it is more likely to have lightning in a bottle years where a combination of fifth year seniors and transfers give it a very good team than most of the mid and lower level teams.

Regardless, championship years are going to be hard or nearly impossible to come by for any but Michigan, OSU, PSU, Oregon, USC and maybe Washington.
USC just poached a kid from Michigan who had been BC bound over the summer, and then blew up during his senior season. I imagine that the B1G connection helped significantly, though USC was also the biggest program in his offer list, period.

Washington strikes me as a really good program that was weirdly down for a long time. They’ve figured it out and will be tough.

Give me 9 team divisions and relegation every other year. (Not really, but maybe.)

Not scared, but most of the B1G outside of the beasts of the east, are not that great. The legacy teams from the old Western Conference minus Michigan are really going to have to raise their game alot to make a bowl. I could see some original schools dropping out after awhile. This will ring true if their is an additional round of expansion with Clemson and FSU sometime in the future.

This is a good read of the situation in my opinion.

While I don't think any of the 4 is quite as strong as consistently as Ohio State or Michigan; I fully agree that USC, Oregon, and Washington have the ability to put together NC contending teams and play at that level, at the very least they can match the level of Penn State rather consistently.

UCLA is more of an above average kind of addition, but still won't be an easy out; they do have access to good talent and their location is a huge plus for that.

Oregon and USC are the two that for sure have the financial firepower with NIL and the media attention and the like to consistently get really high end talent and compete at the highest level regularly.

Washington right now is operating at a historically high level and would fit into the top 4-5 easily of the new Big Ten.

Just a reality but those 4 will not be easy outs and in a lot of years 3 or even 4 may be extremely tough to beat for most of the Big Ten West programs.

They will have down years as well, but Oregon hasn't had many since they became Nike U 20-25 years ago and USC has historically been one of the top 10 programs. Washington and UCLA are historically closer to top 25-30 programs, but still won't be easy outs when operating at a high level.

These are 4 strong programs joining the Big Ten and right now they're all operating at a high level.

Reactions: Jaguar 88
This is a good read of the situation in my opinion.

While I don't think any of the 4 is quite as strong as consistently as Ohio State or Michigan; I fully agree that USC, Oregon, and Washington have the ability to put together NC contending teams and play at that level, at the very least they can match the level of Penn State rather consistently.

UCLA is more of an above average kind of addition, but still won't be an easy out; they do have access to good talent and their location is a huge plus for that.

Oregon and USC are the two that for sure have the financial firepower with NIL and the media attention and the like to consistently get really high end talent and compete at the highest level regularly.

Washington right now is operating at a historically high level and would fit into the top 4-5 easily of the new Big Ten.

Just a reality but those 4 will not be easy outs and in a lot of years 3 or even 4 may be extremely tough to beat for most of the Big Ten West programs.

They will have down years as well, but Oregon hasn't had many since they became Nike U 20-25 years ago and USC has historically been one of the top 10 programs. Washington and UCLA are historically closer to top 25-30 programs, but still won't be easy outs when operating at a high level.

These are 4 strong programs joining the Big Ten and right now they're all operating at a high level.
I agree that they will have their ups and downs, but those are top programs regardless and the West is rather weak at the moment overall. The B1G Title Game will be interesting to see if Iowa can hang with the Wolverines for very long. My worry is that the legacy teams like Purdue, Indiana, etc will end up leaving because of losing for a long period of time. Yeah, they get conference $$$$$$$$, but after awhile fans will start fading away as they know that they could not only really challenge for a title, but maybe not even make a bowl game, especially if the conference goes through a south oriented round of expansion(ie FSU, Clemson, NC State, etc).

Nebraska slump, with all their resources, shows how hard it is to win in major college football conferences. Makes one appreciate what Cats football has accomplished over the last two decades.
Perhaps there is a correlation with Nowledge.

I think the 4 former PAC12 have superior programs to most of the BIgTen schools at this point. Oregon and UW this year are on par with OSU and UM. UCLA and USC are at least as good as PSU. Oregon in particular has fielded a top program for many years now. I agree that most BT programs will get blown out by the new 4 schools joining the BT because their offenses are so potent that they can’t be matched by most of the other BT programs. Next year will start to reveal how competitive the new schools really are. Just don’t think that most of the old BT schools defenses will be able to match up well against an offense like Oregon’s or UW’s.
Yes, but they haven't played in the B1g--until soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT