ADVERTISEMENT

Is Fields the answer for Da Bears!

As a Cowboys fan, I got a good look at Andy Dalton last season. He is an effective, journeyman QB who plays well enough to give you a chance to win. The Cowboys, with their historically bad defense last season, did him no favors, but he did his part.

I guess Fields is seen to have a lot of "potential" and many people were calling for him to start over Dalton from the start of the season. They're getting what they wished for; I guess now we have to see if Fields shows improvement.

As a Cowboys fan, I got a good look at Andy Dalton last season. He is an effective, journeyman QB who plays well enough to give you a chance to win. The Cowboys, with their historically bad defense last season, did him no favors, but he did his part.

I guess Fields is seen to have a lot of "potential" and many people were calling for him to start over Dalton from the start of the season. They're getting what they wished for; I guess now we have to see if Fields shows improvement.
Fields is young and will make a lot of mistakes but he is far from the Bears biggest problem. The Bears biggest problem is their numbskull head coach.

I agree that that Nagy is a numbskull. Hopefully if he is eventually fired, Fitz (current lousy NU team not withstanding) will not be tempted to move to the NFL as Bears coach

I agree that that Nagy is a numbskull. Hopefully if he is eventually fired, Fitz (current lousy NU team not withstanding) will not be tempted to move to the NFL as Bears coach

Can we please get the trifecta? PLEEEEZE??? Nagy, The Great Ryan Pace, AND Ted Phillips...

George McCaskey: "let me show you the way out, Gentlemen. Follow me, please."

One can dream.

Can we please get the trifecta? PLEEEEZE??? Nagy, The Great Ryan Pace, AND Ted Phillips...

George McCaskey: "let me show you the way out, Gentlemen. Follow me, please."

One can dream.

Ted Phillips is irrelevant to what happens on the field so I don’t really care. Can’t agree with you about Pace. He has had his fair share of mistakes but also hit on a lot of later round gems and FA signing. The last two draft classes are home runs. I’ll keep Pace and get rid of Nagy.

Fields is young and will make a lot of mistakes but he is far from the Bears biggest problem. The Bears biggest problem is their numbskull head coach.
I would put the idiot they have for GM ahead of the HC (He picked him too)

Ted Phillips is irrelevant to what happens on the field so I don’t really care. Can’t agree with you about Pace. He has had his fair share of mistakes but also hit on a lot of later round gems and FA signing. The last two draft classes are home runs. I’ll keep Pace and get rid of Nagy.
Pace picked Nagy and you want him picking his successor? He had to do well enough in FA and late rounds because he was so terrible in the early rounds (or he gave them all up in his trades) Sorry but Pace has to go.

I would put the idiot they have for GM ahead of the HC (He picked him too)

The so called Idiot GM has made a lot of great picks and free agent signings. Yes, he has blown a lot of picks too but I don’t care whether he hits on his 1st round pick or 5th round pick. I just want him to hit on enough and Pace has done that. the talent is there for the Bears to be much better than they are and that’s on Nagy. Ryan Pace is not the Bears problem.

Pace picked Nagy and you want him picking his successor? He had to do well enough in FA and late rounds because he was so terrible in the early rounds (or he gave them all up in his trades) Sorry but Pace has to go.
Pace is beloved at Halas Hall. He is not going anywhere.

The so called Idiot GM has made a lot of great picks and free agent signings. Yes, he has blown a lot of picks too but I don’t care whether he hits on his 1st round pick or 5th round pick. I just want him to hit on enough and Pace has done that. the talent is there for the Bears to be much better than they are and that’s on Nagy. Ryan Pace is not the Bears problem.
Except hitting on a 1st round pick should mean getting a stud and hitting on a 5th round pick means he sees the field.

Oh and by the way, just this year, our second round pick needed back surgery (and the 5th round pick is down too).

Except hitting on a 1st round pick should mean getting a stud and hitting on a 5th round pick means he sees the field.

Oh and by the way, just this year, our second round pick needed back surgery (and the 5th round pick is down too).

Eddie Jackson 4th round pick, Montgomery 3rd round pick. jaylon Johnson 2nd roundbpick, Bilal Nichols 5th round pick, Roy Robertson UDFA, Darnell Mooney 5th round pick. I could keep going. these are not contributors. These are top end starters and some of the best young players in the league.

I have no dog in this fight, but as an observer and Washington Football Team fan, I wouldn't cut the GM any slack on first round picks. They don't need to be stars but they at least need to be solid starters. Until Washington started to hit on their early round picks they were never trending up. Now over a long period with dreadful teams and early successful picks they are seeing light at the end of the tunnel - losing to Buffalo big time on Sunday excepted. Making good early round picks isn't the only thing but it is very important.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I have no dog in this fight, but as an observer and Washington Football Team fan, I wouldn't cut the GM any slack on first round picks. They don't need to be stars but they at least need to be solid starters. Until Washington started to hit on their early round picks they were never trending up. Now over a long period with dreadful teams and early successful picks they are seeing light at the end of the tunnel - losing to Buffalo big time on Sunday excepted. Making good early round picks isn't the only thing but it is very important.
Normally I Would agree because hitting on late round picks is rare but Pace seems to have a knack for it. Ultimately I don’t care how he gets the players just that he gets them. The talent is better than the record suggests.

Last edited:
To have a really good overall football team is the GM’s responsibility and in this regard Pace has failed.The OL is a sieve.To give up nine sacks in a game is unheard of and his attempt to address it this year has failed cause he drafted a kid in the second round with a history of back problems and the other OL pick is hurt.When you add in the fact Pace has neglected the OL for years in the draft late round picks or FA signings this is what you get.Go out and sign a 39 year old OT.Add in Nagy who is atrocious at calling plays and this is what we saw yesterday a disaster.The Bears will not be a serious playoff contender until the OL problem is addressed and Nagy quits calling plays.Both problems should be taken care of by Pace.

To have a really good overall football team is the GM’s responsibility and in this regard Pace has failed.The OL is a sieve.To give up nine sacks in a game is unheard of and his attempt to address it this year has failed cause he drafted a kid in the second round with a history of back problems and the other OL pick is hurt.When you add in the fact Pace has neglected the OL for years in the draft late round picks or FA signings this is what you get.Go out and sign a 39 year old OT.Add in Nagy who is atrocious at calling plays and this is what we saw yesterday a disaster.The Bears will not be a serious playoff contender until the OL problem is addressed and Nagy quits calling plays.Both problems should be taken care of by Pace.

we are watching a different team so let’s just say we’ll agree to disagree. The problem is schematic, not lack of talent. As you can see, the defense is rounding nicely into form and playing well under new DC Desai. Last time I checked the same GM sourced the players on the defensive and offensive side of the ball.

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
we are watching a different team so let’s just say we’ll agree to disagree. The problem is schematic, not lack of talent. As you can see, the defense is rounding nicely into form and playing well under new DC Desai. Last time I checked the same GM sourced the players on the defensive and offensive side of the ball.
I hope you are right.Would love to see the Bears get the offensive side of the ball fixed and have a nice year,as there is still a lot of football to be played.Still would rather have someone other than Nagy calling the plays that’s for sure.

Fields does not look like a NFL QB so far. While the Bears OL is bad, some of those sacks were on him. We’ll see if he improves… but Mac Jones has already shown more signs of being an actual NFL QB

So Pace has now traded up twice for QBs (the Mahomes draft and now Fields)… and drafted the wrong one. And of course corbi is defending him.

This franchise should be embarrassed. Cleveland simply outclassed them yesterday. It’s a long season but it looks like they’ll have to go back to the drawing board with a new HC and GM… again.

I hope you are right.Would love to see the Bears get the offensive side of the ball fixed and have a nice year,as there is still a lot of football to be played.Still would rather have someone other than Nagy calling the plays that’s for sure.

Nagy’s insecurity and stubbornness is the main problem. I actually think the players like him as a head coach. Nagy the Offensive Coordinator is going to get Nagy the Head Coach fired if he insists on calling the plays. The OC, Lazor, has a much better feel for play calling plays than Nagy does.

Pace should be fired for expending huge amounts of draft capital on the QB position, while also leaving the offensive line vulnerable to his third attempt at finding a quarterback. In a business predicated on offense and the QB position, this is a colossal failure.

Consider the net total of Pace moves to get Fields:
- Traded away a 3, top 10-15 in 2022 (my estimate), 20, 67, 95, 111, 111-116 in 2022 (estimate), 116, and 164
- Spent $10 M on FA starter
- Took on Nick Foles' contract ($16M in 2020-2021) to become a backup / QB3

That's 3 1st round picks, 2 3rd rounds, 3 4th rounds, and a 6th round pick. It's also 2 veterans QBs, one of whom's salary could buy us Kyle Fuller or maybe a decent OT.

Some more evidence:
1) Pace bid against himself to trade up one spot to draft Trubisky. The Bears traded the Nos. 3, 67 and 111 picks, and a 2018 3rd-round pick (95) to the 49ers. This was the same draft that had DeShaun Watson and Pat Mahomes.

2) Pace traded a 4th round pick for Nick Foles 2 years later. Now Foles is QB3 because Pace spent $10M to lure Andy Dalton out of FA.

3) Pace traded #20 and #164 in the 2021 draft, along with a 1st round a 4th round pick in 2022 to get Fields.

Players that remain from Pace drafts:
2017 - Jackson (4), Cohen (4)
2018 - R Smith (1), Daniels (2), Nichols (5)
2019 - Montgomery (3), Shelley (6)
2020 - Kmet (2), J Johnson (2), Gipson (5), Vildor (5), Mooney (5)
2021 - Fields (1), Jenkins (2), Borom (5), Herbert (6), Tonga (7)

Notice the paucity of offensive linemen. Notice that the highest lineman picked has a serious back injury.

For reference, the great Phil Emery's last draft in 2017 yielded current Bears Bush, DHC, and Whitehair. Floyd and Kwiatkowski were productive players who moved on. Bullard is on a roster. Jordan Howard had a few productive seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: gingerkid
Matt Nagy is a brilliant offensive mind. Fields will be fine. I’d give coach Nagy full control and get rid of Pace.

Already planning on being able to improve my seat location a few rows for next year lol.

Nagy’s insecurity and stubbornness is the main problem. I actually think the players like him as a head coach. Nagy the Offensive Coordinator is going to get Nagy the Head Coach fired if he insists on calling the plays. The OC, Lazor, has a much better feel for play calling plays than Nagy does.

That I agree with you on. Not your assessment of Pace.

Ryan Pace is absolutely responsible for the garbage the Bears put out there on the offensive (very offensive) line. He has two tackles that plainly and simply aren't NFL-quality starters at the two most important positions -- in terms of protecting your team's biggest asset, the young qb -- on the line. And don't tell me he drafted his left tackle of the future (T Jenkins) but he got hurt. Jenkins had, at best, a third round grade due to his injury history. Pace rolled the dice, and lost, again. Time to let him pack his bags.

Ryan Pace is absolutely responsible for the garbage the Bears put out there on the offensive (very offensive) line. He has two tackles that plainly and simply aren't NFL-quality starters at the two most important positions -- in terms of protecting your team's biggest asset, the young qb -- on the line. And don't tell me he drafted his left tackle of the future (T Jenkins) but he got hurt. Jenkins had, at best, a third round grade due to his injury history. Pace rolled the dice, and lost, again. Time to let him pack his bags.
Jenkins will play RT for the Bears and he will be a solid player when healthy. Larry Borom will be the Bears LT and he has All Pro written all over him. Mark it down.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT