ADVERTISEMENT

Is Northwestern going to rename Ryan Field to Ryan Stadium when it gets renovated?

zeek55

Nov 21, 2010
Assuming Pat Ryan is the lead donor of the potential $150-300 million project (somewhere in that range is reasonable depending on how much they plan to rebuild/renovate), there'd be 2 solid reasons for a rename to Ryan Stadium:

1) Prevent any confusion between the stadium and Ryan Fieldhouse.

2) So the field can be named for a certain coach after he retires in a few decades.

It seems obvious that they considered this when they chose the name of the fieldhouse, but I just wanted to see if anybody had any inside info on this (or is this just an obvious public assumption).

I heard they were simply going to call it "Ryan University". GO U RU!!!
Careful, John Evans' descendants are going to raise a stink though I do think the university should have been named JEU.

I can't imagine $150-300 Million into the football stadium for 8 weekend games a year. Makes no sense. You could spend 50 million and get a lot of stuff cleaned up, address food areas, bathrooms, skyboxes etc without spending stupid money to no effect. The practice facility has many uses, you can justify it. Not the gameday stadium

I can't imagine $150-300 Million into the football stadium for 8 weekend games a year. Makes no sense. You could spend 50 million and get a lot of stuff cleaned up, address food areas, bathrooms, skyboxes etc without spending stupid money to no effect. The practice facility has many uses, you can justify it. Not the gameday stadium
Agreed. Our 31,000 fan base does not merit a $150 million stadium. $50 million of improvements would be great.

Agreed. Our 31,000 fan base does not merit a $150 million stadium. $50 million of improvements would be great.
The problem is I think they're aiming for a bigger renovation than that (otherwise it'd have already been done).

Stuff like actual seats instead of bleachers is probably on the table as well.

These days, a decent stadium renovation easily gets over $100 million. Stanford's cost $90 million in 2006.

TCU spent $164 million in 2012 and is now raising another $100 million for a second overhaul for more luxury additions.

Baylor spent $266 million in 2014 on a new stadium.

Those are schools with relatively similar situations to us as private schools at the top level spending on their stadiums. I think we need a bit more than Stanford even if we don't spend as much as TCU or Baylor.

$150-200 million is very reasonable to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Are all of you bemoaning the investment at all 8 games each year? The place is a dump. Sorry to sound like Willy with the potholes, but please don’t half ass this. Isn’t this financed through donations? Don’t we want our student athletes to play in a top notch stadium? I didn’t attend NU, but I see new buildings all over campus. You can’t expect top notch teams with subpar facilities. This is 2018. Sick and tired of compromise stadium’s in my hometown. For once, let’s do it right.

I'd rather see Ryan buy the University of Michigan, ditch the colors, and rename it Ann Arbor Remedial Technical College.

jk
My horse's name is Jack. Are you related?

His colors are purple and white, and he doesn't like Michigan either.

Are all of you bemoaning the investment at all 8 games each year? The place is a dump. Sorry to sound like Willy with the potholes, but please don’t half ass this. Isn’t this financed through donations? Don’t we want our student athletes to play in a top notch stadium? I didn’t attend NU, but I see new buildings all over campus. You can’t expect top notch teams with subpar facilities. This is 2018. Sick and tired of compromise stadium’s in my hometown. For once, let’s do it right.
I fundamentally object to tearing down old buildings, but I see no way to renovate Ryan for a that would justify not rebuilding. It is that constrained and antiquated. The site is constrained as well, unless parking is sacrificed. However, because of the sun angles the long axis needs to be N-S. Maybe we could give it to Evanston High and rebuild new somewhere else.

Last edited:
Let’s get real.

The stadium is a dump.

It is almost 100 years old. The infrastructure won’t enable you to make this a nice, fan friendly stadium. For example, widening concourses so that people can get to concessions or bathrooms easily. The current footprint and infrastructure won’t allow it.

You can keep a similar architecture to honor its past and history.

But if it’s costing $110M + to renovate Welsh Ryan, do you honestly think $50M can make a huge difference at Ryan Field. To me that’s like putting lipstick on a pig.

We need to be bolder and more transformative. But a stadium in that everyone agrees is tops in its class. TCU and Baylor are great examples of ~40-50,000 person stadiums that are first class.

NU is a first class university. Let’s put a first class stadium in.

I have been to stanford stadium...Meh...No history or character. Better food areas, some tv's with the food, but not charming and lots of endzone seats, as you have a balcony all the way around.
Put in seats. sure. But tear it down? makes no sense.
Redo the west side upper deck, more premium seating ok. Dig the field down Deeper and move it closer to the West side. Maybe Raze and replace the east side seating. Eliminate 10 rows on the west side so the first rows are 15 feet above the field. That might work.
But our attendance is not related to "if the stadium were better it would sell out'

Reactions: 2388bb
I have been to stanford stadium...Meh...No history or character. Better food areas, some tv's with the food, but not charming and lots of endzone seats, as you have a balcony all the way around.
Put in seats. sure. But tear it down? makes no sense.
Redo the west side upper deck, more premium seating ok. Dig the field down Deeper and move it closer to the West side. Maybe Raze and replace the east side seating. Eliminate 10 rows on the west side so the first rows are 15 feet above the field. That might work.
But our attendance is not related to "if the stadium were better it would sell out'
No vision.

You are just suggesting a patch job, in my opinion

I don't gripe all that much about ryan field granted ik it is probably the worst football stadium I have been too. (been to Lambeau, Ford Field, and MSU's.) As long as I have enough room to sit without some other mans thigh rubbing against mine and have a decent sight line, I'm there for what I came for. Ryan field restrooms were kinda nasty and the lines kinda sucked but come on I am there for football not the extras. If I want extras I watching at home. If they want to do a renovation all the power to them. That's awesome I think it would be great. I do think lipstick on this pig would be nice. I guess I am trying to say through all of this I like Ryan Field more for being old and crappy.

I opt for Lazy Boy style reclining chairs for all. Because it would take probably cut capacity in half, I would then finish what Dyche envisioned before the money ran out and build the east side upper deck.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I'd honestly be very surprised if Shapiro and Phillips went with a lesser rebuild/renovation.

This is their one chance to get it right and leave a spectacular legacy for NU; that's why they've purposefully waited until everything else is out of the way:

Best In Class Fieldhouse for football and others - $270 million

Best In Class Arena for basketball - $110 million

Best In Class Facility for basketball and others - lead donation of up to $20 million from Trienens

How does a $50 million set of minor renovations to Ryan Field match up to the other 3? Ryan Field is the last piece of the puzzle, why not go for Best In Class there too and have the best set of facilities in the entire US at the collegiate level?

They've done everything right in aiming for the very best on the other 3 (visiting 60+ colleges for football facilities, 30+ for basketball to see what they have), it just seems weird to pull back on the football stadium when it's the last thing.

I'm sure they'll look very closely at what Baylor, TCU, and Stanford have done (3 colleges in very similar attendance situations to us that have done major renovations recently).

$150 million feels like the minimum needed to fix all of the issues with Ryan Field and get it set for the next 20 years.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I
Why do you say that? There are spaces of all kinds that when you walk in, you just say,"Wow." and it is special just to be there.

Why do you say that? There are spaces of all kinds that when you walk in, you just say,"Wow." and it is special just to be there.
It's not going to be my money and I will not object if they want to build the greatest football stadium ever constructed, but the biggest issue with the game day experience by far is attendance. When the stadium is sold out and there are 70% NU fans, the game day experience is fine. When it's 65% filled or half of the fans are cheering for the opposing team, the game day experience sucks. In my opinion, building a great stadium is not going to change that. And if they impose a seat license or increase ticket prices dramatically, I think attendance will actually go down. And other than having more restrooms and wider concourses, I am not sure what a great football stadium even looks like. I have been to Madison and I sat on a bleacher and waited at halftime in a ridiculously long long for food in a cramped concourse. But it's a great atmosphere for college football because of the fans and the traditions they have created in the past 20 years or so.

If the institutional leaders have any wits about them, they will name the rebuilt edifice after Football Phil. Remember this tale?

Simply put, Football Phil is a force for good in the world. He terminally adjudicates all acts of evil based on a personal code of conduct that supersedes any legal entity or jurisdiction. If you are righteous, if you are just, if you are virtuous, if you are respectful, the Football Phil will bless you with his universal benevolence. If not, I fear for you.

Imagine the physique of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, the intellect of Aristotle, the wisdom of the great Buddha, and the ruthlessness of Richard Bronson. If you can imagine that, you can imagine Football Phil. Just hope it's on a good day.

Because, like any character from a Clint Eastwood film, be it the conflicted Josey Wales, the regretful Frankie Dunn, or the haunted Walt Kowalsky, Football Phil has a dark side. When conditions warrant, he becomes the unwilling enforcer--a man who knows the duty and the pain of having to bring harm to a fellow man who has given in to Darkness. Phil, being a force of light, illuminates Darkness in very unsubtle ways. Do not veer into Darkness around Phil.

I first met Phil decades ago. I was alone on a 12-day backpack in the Rawah Wilderness, far from the trappings of civilization, and frankly in some distress. My water filter had broken, and in my ignorance had been burning fuel to boil water. It was Phil who set me on the path to greater consciousness. He approached my high camp by scaling a 40-ft cliff with his 230lb pack (Phil always carried a set of 90-lb dumbbells for curls on his backpack trips). Seeing my distress, he gave me his last bottle of Old Spice, wherein the alcohol-based solvents provided a potent source of fuel. He then gave me his last muscle tank t-shirt, a supple blend of fabrics composed from merino wool and the golden tresses from Assyrian virgins that was so finely woven that it was ideal for filtering fluids. His parting words to me that day, "Yo, increase the peace, brah" still resonate in my mind decades later.

Phil pays no particular allegiance to country or flag. He is universal. However, he does express a heartfelt fondness for Northwestern and the football Wildcats. Phil toiled for NU during the Dark Ages, a period during which the administration was openly hostile toward athletics. Had it not been for Phil, Northwestern very likely would have dropped the program in the early 1970s, when disco was nearing its apex as a social phenomenon. Though only a strapping 19 year old weighing 230 lbs, Phil possessed the gravitas to "discuss important matters" with much older, more accomplished men. It was Football Phil who strode unannounced into the office of President Robert Strotz one summer day. Phil had just completed his eighth set of gassers, yet still was composed enough to deliver a message to Strotz, who that day intended to deliver a resolution to the Board that football be abolished at Northwestern.

Phil's message to Strotz was simple: "My left bicep represents the Arts. My right bicep represents the Sciences. They are beautifully apportioned, as you can plainly see. If you disband football at this fine institution, you will be crushed by Arts and Sciences."

Word has it that Strotz was visibly shaken, but even his myopic mind could grasp the notion that athletics and academic excellence could co-exist, and in fact be mutually re-enforcing. It is also believed that Yassar Arafat, in his famous "Olive Branch" speech before the UN, borrowed directly from Phil's "advice" delivered to Strotz that fateful day.

Now in his sixties, Phil's physique has barely aged. But his wisdom and sense of duty to society has blossomed. Phil regularly patrols Northwestern games, enlightening guest fans to the ways of eternal light, steering them away from the Darkness.

Or with all that money, we could end up with the flying saucer that landed on Soldier Field.
Naw, if anything they'll copy what TCU did and just knock down and rebuild something that looks similar but has a new foundation and all the modern day amenities within it.

This won't end up like bizarre mish-mash like Soldier Field. For $250-300 million, you could pull off a TCU-style rebuild with a similar facade on the outside but everything new inside.

Naw, if anything they'll copy what TCU did and just knock down and rebuild something that looks similar but has a new foundation and all the modern day amenities within it.

This won't end up like bizarre mish-mash like Soldier Field. For $250-300 million, you could pull off a TCU-style rebuild with a similar facade on the outside but everything new inside.

Soldier Field really is the Mistake on the Lake. Reminds me of the old adage that a camel is just a horse designed by committee. That thing is Gawd Awful Bad.

It's not going to be my money and I will not object if they want to build the greatest football stadium ever constructed, but the biggest issue with the game day experience by far is attendance. When the stadium is sold out and there are 70% NU fans, the game day experience is fine. When it's 65% filled or half of the fans are cheering for the opposing team, the game day experience sucks. In my opinion, building a great stadium is not going to change that. And if they impose a seat license or increase ticket prices dramatically, I think attendance will actually go down. And other than having more restrooms and wider concourses, I am not sure what a great football stadium even looks like. I have been to Madison and I sat on a bleacher and waited at halftime in a ridiculously long long for food in a cramped concourse. But it's a great atmosphere for college football because of the fans and the traditions they have created in the past 20 years or so.
This coming season we should be over 40k attendance for the first time since GB's last season in '98 because of the home schedule with Notre Dame, Michigan, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. I can easily see 3 sellouts with that list and another game over 40,000. Duke, Akron, and Illinois should average around 33k, so our season total should be somewhere around 40-41k.

Of course, I get your point about gameday experience with opposing fans, but it's not at all clear what can be done beyond the continued outreach and a big stadium revamp to modernize the experience and remove any negatives.

I favor reducing capacity down to 42-43k and continuing to work on maximizing the amount of purple in there. It'll be much better when the sellouts feel 80% purple instead of 60%.

Winning is the most important thing though; we averaged 38-39k for two seasons after the 2012 season in part because of all the hype built up for 2013.

A big string of winning seasons with some marquee wins can get us consistently up to around 40k attendance mostly purple even without home schedules as loaded as 2018.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Let’s get real.

The stadium is a dump.

It is almost 100 years old. The infrastructure won’t enable you to make this a nice, fan friendly stadium. For example, widening concourses so that people can get to concessions or bathrooms easily. The current footprint and infrastructure won’t allow it.

You can keep a similar architecture to honor its past and history.

But if it’s costing $110M + to renovate Welsh Ryan, do you honestly think $50M can make a huge difference at Ryan Field. To me that’s like putting lipstick on a pig.

We need to be bolder and more transformative. But a stadium in that everyone agrees is tops in its class. TCU and Baylor are great examples of ~40-50,000 person stadiums that are first class.

NU is a first class university. Let’s put a first class stadium in.
I don't know. Bad bathroom experience? You're talking to a guy who is just as happy relieving himself on a tree. I don't ask for much. Give me a seat and grass on the field and I'm happy.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
If the institutional leaders have any wits about them, they will name the rebuilt edifice after Football Phil. Remember this tale?

Simply put, Football Phil is a force for good in the world. He terminally adjudicates all acts of evil based on a personal code of conduct that supersedes any legal entity or jurisdiction. If you are righteous, if you are just, if you are virtuous, if you are respectful, the Football Phil will bless you with his universal benevolence. If not, I fear for you.

Imagine the physique of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, the intellect of Aristotle, the wisdom of the great Buddha, and the ruthlessness of Richard Bronson. If you can imagine that, you can imagine Football Phil. Just hope it's on a good day.

Because, like any character from a Clint Eastwood film, be it the conflicted Josey Wales, the regretful Frankie Dunn, or the haunted Walt Kowalsky, Football Phil has a dark side. When conditions warrant, he becomes the unwilling enforcer--a man who knows the duty and the pain of having to bring harm to a fellow man who has given in to Darkness. Phil, being a force of light, illuminates Darkness in very unsubtle ways. Do not veer into Darkness around Phil.

I first met Phil decades ago. I was alone on a 12-day backpack in the Rawah Wilderness, far from the trappings of civilization, and frankly in some distress. My water filter had broken, and in my ignorance had been burning fuel to boil water. It was Phil who set me on the path to greater consciousness. He approached my high camp by scaling a 40-ft cliff with his 230lb pack (Phil always carried a set of 90-lb dumbbells for curls on his backpack trips). Seeing my distress, he gave me his last bottle of Old Spice, wherein the alcohol-based solvents provided a potent source of fuel. He then gave me his last muscle tank t-shirt, a supple blend of fabrics composed from merino wool and the golden tresses from Assyrian virgins that was so finely woven that it was ideal for filtering fluids. His parting words to me that day, "Yo, increase the peace, brah" still resonate in my mind decades later.

Phil pays no particular allegiance to country or flag. He is universal. However, he does express a heartfelt fondness for Northwestern and the football Wildcats. Phil toiled for NU during the Dark Ages, a period during which the administration was openly hostile toward athletics. Had it not been for Phil, Northwestern very likely would have dropped the program in the early 1970s, when disco was nearing its apex as a social phenomenon. Though only a strapping 19 year old weighing 230 lbs, Phil possessed the gravitas to "discuss important matters" with much older, more accomplished men. It was Football Phil who strode unannounced into the office of President Robert Strotz one summer day. Phil had just completed his eighth set of gassers, yet still was composed enough to deliver a message to Strotz, who that day intended to deliver a resolution to the Board that football be abolished at Northwestern.

Phil's message to Strotz was simple: "My left bicep represents the Arts. My right bicep represents the Sciences. They are beautifully apportioned, as you can plainly see. If you disband football at this fine institution, you will be crushed by Arts and Sciences."

Word has it that Strotz was visibly shaken, but even his myopic mind could grasp the notion that athletics and academic excellence could co-exist, and in fact be mutually re-enforcing. It is also believed that Yassar Arafat, in his famous "Olive Branch" speech before the UN, borrowed directly from Phil's "advice" delivered to Strotz that fateful day.

Now in his sixties, Phil's physique has barely aged. But his wisdom and sense of duty to society has blossomed. Phil regularly patrols Northwestern games, enlightening guest fans to the ways of eternal light, steering them away from the Darkness.

There are few posts of genius on this board. This is one of them.

This coming season we should be over 40k attendance for the first time since GB's last season in '98 because of the home schedule with Notre Dame, Michigan, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. I can easily see 3 sellouts with that list and another game over 40,000. Duke, Akron, and Illinois should average around 33k, so our season total should be somewhere around 40-41k.

Of course, I get your point about gameday experience with opposing fans, but it's not at all clear what can be done beyond the continued outreach and a big stadium revamp to modernize the experience and remove any negatives.

I favor reducing capacity down to 42-43k and continuing to work on maximizing the amount of purple in there. It'll be much better when the sellouts feel 80% purple instead of 60%.

Winning is the most important thing though; we averaged 38-39k for two seasons after the 2012 season in part because of all the hype built up for 2013.

A big string of winning seasons with some marquee wins can get us consistently up to around 40k attendance mostly purple even without home schedules as loaded as 2018.
Agree. Winning is must important. See Chicago Black Hawks. However, the current stadium and related atmosphere does zero to attract a casual fan to come out and check it out. Screw the history. Raze the thing and give me TCU’s stadium.

Reactions: zeek55
Think 1920s big!

DYCHE2_courtesy_WEB.jpg

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2016/...-near-ascendency-into-college-football-glory/

Agree. Winning is must important. See Chicago Black Hawks. However, the current stadium and related atmosphere does zero to attract a casual fan to come out and check it out. Screw the history. Raze the thing and give me TCU’s stadium.
Yeah, I think a complete rebuild for $250-300 million is the best idea too.

Why? Because a lower field and steeper stands can make 40000 people sound like 60000 in a much more shallow bowl.

Even with a slight reduction in capacity (down 2-5k), you can make a much louder and more intense gameday experience with a proper rebuild. You can put 42-45k seats in a double deck with better sightlines and more noise kept in the stadium.

And of course modern amenities, bathrooms, and the rest.

I think it'd be a big mistake to just do a small renovation and keep the configuration.

A proper rebuild can really make for a better experience for those who attend the games.

I think it'd be big for recruits as well to come to NU and be part of a place that feels much bigger and more intense from the sidelines.

I think that's looking southward.
I assumed it was looking north because the shadows are all going to the upper right, which if it were looking south suggests a very early morning and high sun because they are short, and because of the existing buildings to the south, many of which would have been built already, and the area of Ryan Fieldhouse would likely have been empty, although the tracks do come from the left (or east if it is looking south toward Central). Is there some other obvious clue I missed?

Last edited:
Question that I will be surprised if anyone on this board knows the answer to. Was the press box built so that it can be saved and the underlying stands demolished? I believe the answer is yes - the press box was built on a separate structure cantilevered over the stands - but not sure. Would save some money.

Second question. Which side is the better side for viewing in the event the approach is to build one side bigger than the other. In terms of phasing, one plan would be to demolish the East stands first, build a large stand with new press box on the East side and then in the following phase demolish the West stands and rebuild smaller with the capability to expand in the future. Just thinking of how to rebuild on the current site. I have sat on both sides and prefer the West side where you don't face the setting sun but with the game times now not so certain that is an issue.

Cue Willy bitching and moaning about the reduced capacity 6,800 times......
I assume that any reduction in capacity will be a short-term move and that there would be a plan in place for a 2nd phase extension if we had a string of sellouts over a few years and our season ticket base reached the point where a return up to 47-50k makes sense.

That really seems like the best approach for improving gameday atmosphere: reducing capacity to 42-43k until there's enough purple demand to justify an expansion.

You could accomplish that in any number of ways, for example planning the endzone in such a way that it could be expanded in a 2nd phase.

Keeping capacity higher doesn't serve the program well until we're consistently drawing crowds in the 40k range against non-conference opponents. We'll only be able to do that when we have a string of years where we're consistently ranked and challenge for the division title and NY6 bowls (multiple 10+ win seasons where there's no losses until the late weeks of the season).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT