ADVERTISEMENT

It's real and it's spectacular

TheC

May 29, 2001
Seeing how most of you have established yourselves as entirely unreliable, I took it upon myself to get on a plane and fly to Chicago. From there I took a train to Evanston and walked to the lake to see for myself whether they were really building anything or not. The answer is, in fact, yes!

OK, so finally able to post it as a media file. Seems like it shouldn't be that hard. What hosting site do people recommend?

0NUaTW

H65rP5q

Last edited:
Great to get a look at it from another angle.

Better to hear you say it is spectacular.

It looks like a photoshop job to me. The curvature of the horizon is also a dead giveaway that it's a fake.

o_O

Seeing how most of you have established yourselves as entirely unreliable, I took it upon myself to get on a plane and fly to Chicago. From there I took a train to Evanston and walked to the lake to see for myself whether they were really building anything or not. The answer is, in fact, yes!

OK, so finally able to post it as a media file. Seems like it shouldn't be that hard. What hosting site do people recommend?

0NUaTW

H65rP5q
easy enough to put them on FB and link.

I have used Photobucket in the past, but it has become a nightmare of popups and other junk. Still, it holds my collection of masterpieces, including:
e3ed0861-87c8-4ff0-9c2d-c0688b9f86c4.jpg

This is the 2016 class leaving its mark on the old athletic center, a la Who's Next.
NU%20Next_1.jpg

And this thing defies explanation, but you will have to take it as a sign of my evil genius.
shipoffools.jpg

Last edited:

0NUaTW

H65rP5q

I recognized that thing immediately. It is one thing to "borrow" the Wright Brothers' plane from the Smithsonian and fly it to our Lake front, but you still have to fly it back and then the mirage will vanish.

There is a thread on SN Nation predicting that it won't make any impact over the next five years. I tried to post there but somehow simply can't get logged on.

Anyway, I totally disagree. This thing is going to absolutely WOW many recruits. It is going to be an inspiration to train in and it is going to save about 120 people thirty minutes a day, 5 days a week in commuting time. That is a lot of man hours.

It is not going to turn NU into the perennial national champion but it is going to push the program up firmly into the top third of the B1G over the next five years. The thing that I don't think anyone sees is that not only will it have some impact on recruiting (I think we some of that already), it is going to have impact on preparation and development.

It is not going to spin up all at once but in five years you are going to see improvement from where we are now which is ahead of where we were five years ago.

Go Cats!!

Reactions: cat inkansas
easy enough to put them on FB and link.

I have used Photobucket in the past, but it has become a nightmare of popups and other junk. Still, it holds my collection of masterpieces, including:
e3ed0861-87c8-4ff0-9c2d-c0688b9f86c4.jpg

This is the 2016 class leaving its mark on the old athletic center, a la Who's Next.
NU%20Next_1.jpg

And this thing defies explanation, but you will have to take it as a sign of my evil genius.
shipoffools.jpg

What the hell was that?

I recognized that thing immediately. It is one thing to "borrow" the Wright Brothers' plane from the Smithsonian and fly it to our Lake front, but you still have to fly it back and then the mirage will vanish.
Agree and was thinking that it looked like an Wright brothers flying machine but with the size of the "Spruce Goose".

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

0NUaTW

H65rP5q
Odd... I am home for my son's graduation and on my trip in, United messed up and stranded me overnight at OHare. My first thought was "I wonder if I have enough time to get to Evanston and back to see the faculty under construction." I decided that I did not and just went to sleep.

Thanx for the picture.

Odd... I am home for my son's graduation and on my trip in, United messed up and stranded me overnight at OHare. My first thought was "I wonder if I have enough time to get to Evanston and back to see the faculty under construction." I decided that I did not and just went to sleep.

Thanx for the picture.

You should have made a ruckus out of it, and done something to get beat up and then sue and settle for $140m USD.

You should have made a ruckus out of it, and done something to get beat up and then sue and settle for $140m USD.
No. I just got snarky. I am a United frequent flyer and got a mass e-mail from the CEO last week saying that United was going to be focused on customer service. I asked the customer service agent when this was going to start. It got me a middle seat. My wife was nice and she got a window seat. I actually thought that was kind of funny.

If there is a pilot, air steward, or ticket agent working at United who is happy to be working at United, I have yet to meet that person.
I did not meet any two nights ago. It is like the return of US Airways.

shipoffools.jpg

The story behind this creation stems from my posting days at CardsTalk, a web forum hosted by the St. Louis Post Dispatch devoted to the St.Louis Cardinals, my hometown team growing up in The Lou. I eventually was banned for posting a picture of Bin Laden fornicating a goat, but that is a different story.

CardTalk makes WR forum look like a Mensa gatheirng. I am not a red-tinted, jort-wearing, Cardinal Fan. I think the whole "best fans in baseball" thing is asinine. But I cavorted with this crowd like Glades cavorts with strippers. A bit like scratch and sniff, I guess.

We had one poster, Moxie, who defies description. He was the most condescending, arrogant, and insulting poster imaginable--and utterly brilliant in his trolling. He is pictured in the upper right corner, in his tower, looking down at ALL beneath him.

Moxie had gift for insulting posters without mentioning them directly, and in a display of incredible fortitude, never ever responded to any posts.He simply noted in closing "not chat" or something akin to that.

Moxie's only "real" discussion partner was a tortoise colored cat named Roscoe, who apparently would teach himself the oboe while Moxie mused and posted. If Moxie had something to see, he would often say it to Roscoe, or sometimes through him.

...See Roscoe! Now you got them chatting what with that Miranda thing you chummed in there. I told you they would never make the connection to Carmen Miranda, and you wanted to use Lupe Velez. This is a narrow crowd Roscoe, very narrow and must be nurtured. Hell, they are probably wondering now what Miranda's BA was and debating whether Velez was an infielder or a plumber's helper.
...Clear the bridge. First Officer report to Captain's Quarters.
...Chatting lamp is OUT!

As you can see, Moxie took a dim view of Cardinal fans, and spent a fair amount of time also critiquing the organization. He referred to the Cardinal diaspora as "The Stupids" who were gawking passengers aboard a ship, the SS Blind Homer, piloted by Cards GM John Mozeliak (pictured in front), Owner Bill DeWitt, and Manager Tony LaRussa (rear), whose charity work with animal rescue was well publicized. Sometimes, Moxie would make a pithy observation about roster management and exclaim "Aaaaiiieeeee!" as if something new were found when in reality he felt that front office was always a step behind.

Moxie also poked considerable fun at former Cards slugger Mark Mcgwire (lower right corner), whom he christened "The Red Hermit" for his publicity-shy ways after the Andro scandal and his retirement.

...How unexpected? Of course the fact that posters loyal to and even paid by agencies of Cardinal management have been appearing in various guises on CardsTalk for years has never been a mystery. But now the Goold person, has outed himself in a desperate grasp for readership[ by making appearances on the board. And surprise! Slavish fawning readers are stumbling over themselves to congratulate what him on what they perceive to be incisive reporting on the innards Cardinal spring training. Of course these same souls couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.
...And then! And then! We are family has taken an all-embracing turn what with the Duncussa lad taking fielding tips from Larry Walker, and, and, aieeee! hitting tips from, from, from, Ta Da! THE RED HERMIT! What HIT tips indeed might the boy be learning? Hey Coach McKay, Get Weimer and work on that boy with the workout manual. Hey! One cannot invent this stuff. Call it voluntary community service.
...Roscoe would so enjoy this pending debacle.

...Not chat!

Moxie was right about a lot of things. During Walt Jocketty's time as GM, he and "Duncussa"--Moxie's derisive name for Tony LaRussa and pitching coach Dave Duncan and their tendency to reclaim faded pitchers, the Cardinals largely pursued a strategy of buying distressed assets. It worked for a bit with guys like Woody Williams, Scott Rolen, Kent Bottenfield, but then turned sour when guys like Brett Tomko, Kip Wells, and Mike Maroth were brought in to pitch.

After several years of this, free agent ace AJ Burnett became the object of Cardinal fan affection one offseason. Cards Talk crackled with excitement. The one day, some guy posted "I just saw Burnett at the airport!" That was the thread title. Within 10 minutes, the thread was 6 pages. In the pic above, the airplane festooned with "AJ Air" is making its final approach into Lambert.

I don't remember what prompted me to create this paean to Moxie and CardsTalk. It was a long time ago. But it's all true. One cannot make this up.

Idk about 140m but I did just get 140 back. I had scheduled a trip with a hidden city so I could get off at ORD, but they changed the damn flight and had me connecting in Newark. After an "oh shit" moment, I noticed that the time changed as well, so I called them and said the new time didn't work for me, and they gave me a refund

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT