ADVERTISEMENT

J.J. STARLING. 2022 guard

Getting Starling would be even bigger than PBJ. Convincing a top recruit who has no family ties to Evanston to choose NU over Duke would simply be incredible.

I know this is an uphill battle, but his comments sound positive. Also, he went to the same super fancy prep school as Chief Justice John Roberts (which is in Indiana) so we can assume that he appreciates Northwestern as an institution. But tough to overcome Duke from a basketball perspective and Stanford from an academic one. Let's hope he wants to stay in the midwest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeramar
Getting Starling would be even bigger than PBJ. Convincing a top recruit who has no family ties to Evanston to choose NU over Duke would simply be incredible.

I know this is an uphill battle, but his comments sound positive. Also, he went to the same super fancy prep school as Chief Justice John Roberts (which is in Indiana) so we can assume that he appreciates Northwestern as an institution. But tough to overcome Duke from a basketball perspective and Stanford from an academic one Let's hope he wants to stay in the midwest.
Forget John Roberts, how could you leave out the school's true most notable alumnus, Luka Mirkovic?!?

The author makes a good point. If he comes in with Brumbaugh, won't they both want the ball in their hands to run the show?
Rowan is lead guard and Starling would be the scoring 2. I think Devin Booker has shown it works just fine next to Chris Paul, and I think Starling is okay with the notion as well.

Rowan is lead guard and Starling would be the scoring 2. I think Devin Booker has shown it works just fine next to Chris Paul, and I think Starling is okay with the notion as well.
Great! I'm sold. He should come here!!

Reactions: NUera
Great! I'm sold. He should come here!!
Haha then it's settled -- JJ, your table is ready! In all seriousness, though, I would have to think CCC has already made this comparison. You could also say Rowan has been brought in to play the McIntosh role and JJ would be Scottie Lindsey, but I think it would be senior-year Scottie who led the team in scoring.

Reactions: NREPP Fraud

I know this is an uphill battle, but his comments sound positive. Also, he went to the same super fancy prep school as Chief Justice John Roberts (which is in Indiana) so we can assume that he appreciates Northwestern as an institution. But tough to overcome Duke from a basketball perspective and Stanford from an academic one. Let's hope he wants to stay in the midwest.
Cool

CCC is a better coach than Sheyer/duke. CCC is cooler than Sheyer. Not sure if NU will be better than Duke in bb for the next 5 years. But I really hope Starling chooses the cats where he will be leading a rennaisance possible and not just redundancy at durham

Today is his official visit! Someone please let us know if you hear how it goes!

Today is his official visit! Someone please let us know if you hear how it goes!
He loved it! He already signed. He's now already played in a bunch of games and the Cats are now a #5 seed in the NCAA tournament!!

(Ok.... I have no insight on anything)

• Haha
Reactions: mountaindrew
If thats his top 5, we have a good chance to get him. He and his parents appear to value academics significantly and on that basis cannot choose Syracuse or Notre Dame over NU. Stanford is too far away and just too different, so I would guess they get downgraded somewhat for a kid from Indiana.

Speaking purely in generalities, of course.

Reactions: Zazzy
I actually think it's the opposite! I have found that people in the midwest (esp. Indiana) have an inflated snese of ND's academics. People think ND is in the same group as Stanford, Duke, NU, as opposed to being peers with a school like Michigan or Boston College.

Edited to add: Every school on the list is truly excellent.

Reactions: ThirdCoast
I'm trying to convince myself NU has a chance.

a) Starling's official visit to Stanford was in June. He's not visiting again in this group., and Stanford only has one schollie left.
b) He announced his final five after his trip to ND. If he was really sold on ND, he wouldn't have announced the five.
c) Of course, Duke is the biggest challenge in a tough group. A 2023 top-20 PG committed on Thursday. I hope that muddies the water a bit for Starling at Duke. There's plenty of opportunity to play at NU. But then there's Duke.
d) Syracuse has a 6-6, 175 commitment. Similar size, but I guess you could say the same thing about NU.

I hope he makes it out of Durham without committing. I hope that means it's down to NU and Syracuse.

Once again, Collins is going up against an extremely strong group - Coach K/Scheyer, Boeheim and Brey. Big props if he pulls it off.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I'm trying to convince myself NU has a chance.

a) Starling's official visit to Stanford was in June. He's not visiting again in this group., and Stanford only has one schollie left.
b) He announced his final five after his trip to ND. If he was really sold on ND, he wouldn't have announced the five.
c) Of course, Duke is the biggest challenge in a tough group. A 2023 top-20 PG committed on Thursday. I hope that muddies the water a bit for Starling at Duke. There's plenty of opportunity to play at NU. But then there's Duke.
d) Syracuse has a 6-6, 175 commitment. Similar size, but I guess you could say the same thing about NU.

I hope he makes it out of Durham without committing. I hope that means it's down to NU and Syracuse.

Once again, Collins is going up against an extremely strong group - Coach K/Scheyer, Boeheim and Brey. Big props if he pulls it off.
It will be an interesting test to see if Coach K having one foot out the door removes some of the Duke mystique.

Reactions: mountaindrew
It will be an interesting test to see if Coach K having one foot out the door removes some of the Duke mystique.
Damn, I hope so. But if you've ever seen how they built the facilities around Cameron and some of the ideas around them, there will probably need be a year or two of Duke coming down to earth before they flatten out for the long haul.

If thats his top 5, we have a good chance to get him. He and his parents appear to value academics significantly and on that basis cannot choose Syracuse or Notre Dame over NU. Stanford is too far away and just too different, so I would guess they get downgraded somewhat for a kid from Indiana.

Speaking purely in generalities, of course.

Starling is from New York. He just attends a school in Indiana where he lives on campus.

Yeah, he grew up 15 minutes away from Syracuse University.
I was only up to Syracuse twice, both times in March. Syracuse was dismal. The Carrier Dome felt like a mausoleum. However it is tough to compete with a hometown

I was only up to Syracuse twice, both times in March. Syracuse was dismal. The Carrier Dome felt like a mausoleum. However it is tough to compete with a hometown
A mausoleum with 21000 people on game day.

Ok, this thread may go on for awhile...
can we please spell "guard" correctly in the title?
Its a little embarrassing.

An exit from Durham + 24-ish hours ...

I hope that means the Cats have a legitimate shot.

In the meantime, Braden Huff commits to Gonzaga.

The ST reports former Illini player Roger Powell was the lead recruiter for Gonzaga. They also say it was down to Gonzaga and Virginia Tech.

Reading through this thread gives the MBB board life!

If you all can telepathically get this stud to commit to NU, I will let my subscription expire in February, spend more time on the free boards, and give a mea culpa on the other thread. Go Cats!

ADVERTISEMENT