ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Brown

Did I miss news on Brown's injury? Is he out?

Haven't seen anything official, but sure looked like a serious knee injury to me... I was assuming official word had gone out based on the initial question.

Will Brown be eligible to apply for a medical hardship?
He would be eligible. Northwestern would have to file a Medical Hardship Waiver. He hasn't been in more than three games or competed in more than 30 % of the season. If it is a season ending injury then it qualifies. If he has never redshirted it would most likely be approved. If he redshirted before it would be more difficult.

Trust me, I know the rules. Commenting more on the fact that the NCAA seems to have gotten more stingy about issuing "med reds."
If he didn't redshirt as a Freshman, it is slam dunk. Jango will have a harder time getting a redshirt because he did as a Freshman. But since his injury from High School caused him to have to redshirt he has a good chance of getting a Medical Waiver.. Be very surprised if Jalen hasn't used a redshirt, that he isn't granted a Medical Waiver.

I looked at the roster and they said he preserved his redshirt. He will definitely be eligible to file for a Medical Hardship. He meets all the criteria and he would be losing one of his guaranteed four years of eligibility if he indeed suffered a season ending injury. I would be shocked if he didn't get it approved. Northwestern will have to file for it at the end of the season.

I looked at the roster and they said he preserved his redshirt. He will definitely be eligible to file for a Medical Hardship. He meets all the criteria and he would be losing one of his guaranteed four years of eligibility if he indeed suffered a season ending injury. I would be shocked if he didn't get it approved. Northwestern will have to file for it at the end of the season.

Yeah, the fact that he redshirted at Oregon and then graduated early is the entire reason he was a "two to play two" grad transfer in the first place.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Yeah, the fact that he redshirted at Oregon and then graduated early is the entire reason he was a "two to play two" grad transfer in the first place.
But is he not ELIGIBLE to file for another year? If he did redshirt at Oregon it will be harder to get. But he and Jango both are eligible to file.

But is he not ELIGIBLE to file for another year? If he did redshirt at Oregon it will be harder to get. But he and Jango both are eligible to file.
Doesn't the link you provided refer to a 5 year click within which you have 4 years of eligibility. I think this would be his 4th year under the 5 year clock, so next year is it. I could be wrong though.

Doesn't the link you provided refer to a 5 year click within which you have 4 years of eligibility. I think this would be his 4th year under the 5 year clock, so next year is it. I could be wrong though.
I was told Jango was eligible, so I would guess Jalen is too. But as Gocatsgo2003 said, the NCAA can be difficult. Mine was also based on the assumption he didn't redshirt at Oregon. It will be much more difficult to get, but he is eligible to file.

Redshirting at Oregon makes it much harder, and most likely won't get one. But most likely will file. Have nothing to lose

So exactly what I said in the first place?
I didn't know he redshirted at Oregon. NU stating he preserved his redshirt made me believe he hadn't used it. If you want to be technical, the question was will he be eligible to apply for a medical redshirt. The answer is that he is eligible to apply. The question wasn't will he get one.

There are some who get a sixth year. Take Jeremy Larkin who came to Northwestern needing surgery. He was redshirt his Freshman year due to an injury coming out of high school. If he got injured again within three games and missed another year, he would most likely get another year. It is hard to predict the NCAA. What you brought up is a good point. None of us are experts or can be 100% certain of what will happen. This is a discussion board for Northwestern fans, not a final exam. Being right or wrong isn't as important as contributing your thoughts or opinions on this board. I appreciate you pointing the five year rule out. With Jango out for the season I have been talking to people about him getting a Medical Redshirt. Many different opinions from even coaches on this subject. I do know that Northwestern can file for it, no idea if it will be granted

There are some who get a sixth year. Take Jeremy Larkin who came to Northwestern needing surgery. He was redshirt his Freshman year due to an injury coming out of high school. If he got injured again within three games and missed another year, he would most likely get another year. It is hard to predict the NCAA. What you brought up is a good point. None of us are experts or can be 100% certain of what will happen. This is a discussion board for Northwestern fans, not a final exam. Being right or wrong isn't as important as contributing your thoughts or opinions on this board. I appreciate you pointing the five year rule out. With Jango out for the season I have been talking to people about him getting a Medical Redshirt. Many different opinions from even coaches on this subject. I do know that Northwestern can file for it, no idea if it will be granted
I believe that is similar to what happened with Evan Eschmeyer- NU basketball legend who had 2 medical redshirt years so was a scholarship player for 6 years. I didn't know if it was different in the case where the first redshirt was not a medical redshirt but just a freshman redshirt. People who know more about it than me will sort it out. It seems like inthe spirit of doing what is right for the kid it should be a no-brainer, but this is the NCAA we are talking about.

If he didn't redshirt as a Freshman, it is slam dunk. Jango will have a harder time getting a redshirt because he did as a Freshman. But since his injury from High School caused him to have to redshirt he has a good chance of getting a Medical Waiver.. Be very surprised if Jalen hasn't used a redshirt, that he isn't granted a Medical Waiver.
Since he graduated and then came with two years of eligibility, pretty sure he used his RS.

Redshirting at Oregon makes it much harder, and most likely won't get one. But most likely will file. Have nothing to lose
If Jalen had not taken his regular RS at Oregon, he would just be able to use this year as a RS year. Since he did, he would still have next year but would need the medical exemption to play the following year. At what point would he have to file? This year or next? Is it filed by him or by NU?

Man, that really sucks. I hope he has a rapid, full recovery.
Thank you. I really like his surgeon. But I think it explains his move down the two deep after his injury at Camp. I couldn't talk about it in detail before.

Last edited:
I believe that is similar to what happened with Evan Eschmeyer- NU basketball legend who had 2 medical redshirt years so was a scholarship player for 6 years. I didn't know if it was different in the case where the first redshirt was not a medical redshirt but just a freshman redshirt. People who know more about it than me will sort it out. It seems like inthe spirit of doing what is right for the kid it should be a no-brainer, but this is the NCAA we are talking about.
I have been told by a few coaches and recruiting advisors that Jango is eligible. If Jango is, I would guess Jalen is. But who knows.

If Jalen had not taken his regular RS at Oregon, he would just be able to use this year as a RS year. Since he did, he would still have next year but would need the medical exemption to play the following year. At what point would he have to file? This year or next? Is it filed by him or by NU?
I was told at the end of the season by Northwestern

Haven't seen anything official, but sure looked like a serious knee injury to me... I was assuming official word had gone out based on the initial question.

Feels like a lot of speculation right now when we've heard nothing on his status.

Been wondering the same thing for a long time now.

At least he acknowledges his d-bag syndrome from time to time. Makes an effort to escape from the grip of its look at me and how smart I am manifestations. Given his contributions to the board, passion for purple and what I believe is some sincerity, I prefer to encourage 03', not condemn him.

GOUNUII

At least he acknowledges his d-bag syndrome from time to time. Makes an effort to escape from the grip of its look at me and how smart I am manifestations. Given his contributions to the board, passion for purple and what I believe is some sincerity, I prefer to encourage 03', not condemn him.

GOUNUII
You're probably right, so I won't comment further. Are you and your much better half coming out for any games?

I thought there was an announcement that he was out for the season. Perhaps I was skimming too fast. I do that a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT