ADVERTISEMENT

Jamie Samuelsen

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
A terrible loss. Met him once a few years ago. Really nice guy with a great family.

Colon cancer gets a lot of younger people, who do not routinely get tested or examined

Skip Chandler NU'68 , better known as Nev Chandler , the voice of the Cleveland Browns and Indians, succumbed at age 47 in 1994 from colon cancer
Nev had a vast knowledge of almost all sports and a biting sense of humor. I never heard him announce a game and he became ill before I was to meet him in Baltimore for an Indians v Orioles game

A simple stool sample can detect blood, often the first finding in a malignancy. There is a DNA stool test available but I am not sure about its reliability. Colonoscopy is recommended at age 45 but few people follow this recommendation

Colon cancer gets a lot of younger people, who do not routinely get tested or examined

Skip Chandler NU'68 , better known as Nev Chandler , the voice of the Cleveland Browns and Indians, succumbed at age 47 in 1994 from colon cancer
Nev had a vast knowledge of almost all sports and a biting sense of humor. I never heard him announce a game and he became ill before I was to meet him in Baltimore for an Indians v Orioles game

A simple stool sample can detect blood, often the first finding in a malignancy. There is a DNA stool test available but I am not sure about its reliability. Colonoscopy is recommended at age 45 but few people follow this recommendation

Due to family history, I had my first colonoscopy three years ago (I’m 39 now). I will be having one every five years the rest of my life.

The prep is not fun, but the procedure itself is really a piece of cake. Everyone should really try and get one every five or so years starting at age 40 if possible..

I listened to him years ago under the Jamie and Brady show. Theme song "Jamie...and Brady...Jamie... And Brady... Jamie... And Brady... And Shep Shep Shep"

45 even with no known risk factors? I thought it was age 50.

50 is the screening age. He would get genetic testing with him developing colon cancer prior to 50. Lynch syndrome is the most common genetic syndrome but attenuated familial adenomatous polyposis is and cowden syndrome to name a few. Even in the absence of family history of colon or other types of cancer we do find hereditary syndromes. Also inflammatory bowel diseases such as crohns disease and ulcerative colitis are risk factors

Last edited:
Reactions: TheC

It depends on which society's recommendation you follow.

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommends that screening for begin at age 50.

The American Cancer Society (ACS) released an updated recommendation in 2018 that colorectal cancer screening begin at age 45 for patients at average risk.

I remember when I first met Jamie in summer 2001. He and Christy weren't married yet. She and I worked together at WXYZ and she kept telling me, "You have to meet my boyfriend. He's a bigger Northwestern fan than you." And she was right. After the newscast one night I met Christy and Jamie out for drinks. He and I spent so much time talking Northwestern sports that Christy just rolled her eyes. Jamie looked at her deadpan and said, "Hey, it's not our fault Michigan State is an also-ran." Christy, of course, went to Michigan State. My career took me out of Michigan but when I came home I ran into her occasionally at journalism events. She'd always say, "I'll tell Jamie you said hello." I'm just so heartbroken for the family.

I got my first colonoscopy (and endoscopy) last year at age 47. My doctor was encouraging me to get one due to the fact that colon cancer prevalence actually starts increasing at age 45, not 50. She showed me data, and her husband is a close friend of mine and got his first at age 45.

I got my first colonoscopy (and endoscopy) last year at age 47. My doctor was encouraging me to get one due to the fact that colon cancer prevalence actually starts increasing at age 45, not 50. She showed me data, and her husband is a close friend of mine and got his first at age 45.

Have had one every five years on the dot since 35. My dad and his uncle both died of colon cancer.

Never had one. No health care. Can't get it, either. A flaw in Obamacare.

The county health department stopped taking in patients other than for birthing and childcare, etc.

We lost a family member to colorectal cancer in his 30s and it is increasing among young adults. It was horrific to watch him waste away and enter hospice.

Very sorry for Jamie’s loss. Kudos to all who get screened early and often.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT