ADVERTISEMENT

Jared Jones

Seems like a good kid, loved his enthusiasm. Hope he can be the man at MTSU.

I thought MTSU had been pretty good, but they’ve had two down years since their head coach left for Mississippi.

Last year’s top five scorers were guards, and the sixth was a graduating forward, so there will be minutes to be had.

Besides any other recruits, he’ll be the biggest guy on the roster.

Turk was right. Went closer to home due to our new virus world.
Thanks Wickerdude. Yea, 'experts' and glloom and doomers were dogging him and then claiming something was wrong with the program but the reality was that the covid made him want to be closer to home. And that's the simple story. Collins didn't run him off and even though people here dogged him and said that he wouldn't get any minutes, the truth is that he is a pretty good player, albeit young. He would have contributed alot this year and we might slip this year but, sure it opens up a 2021 spot which, in a twisted way, would work out for Coach Collins.

Thanks Wickerdude. Yea, 'experts' and glloom and doomers were dogging him and then claiming something was wrong with the program but the reality was that the covid made him want to be closer to home. And that's the simple story. Collins didn't run him off and even though people here dogged him and said that he wouldn't get any minutes, the truth is that he is a pretty good player, albeit young. He would have contributed alot this year and we might slip this year but, sure it opens up a 2021 spot which, in a twisted way, would work out for Coach Collins.
Is that why PBJ isnt going to go to Duke?

Stop making shit up.

How do you know all this? Jones is from Powder Springs, GA which is only like a 3 hour drive to Murfeesboro, TN so I guess that might makes sense. I don't know though, multiple people have claimed this was about playing time. Are you saying that if COVID doesn't happen he stays at NU? Or are you trying to explain why he went to MTSU instead of a Power 5?

How do you know all this? Jones is from Powder Springs, GA which is only like a 3 hour drive to Murfeesboro, TN so I guess that might makes sense. I don't know though, multiple people have claimed this was about playing time. Are you saying that if COVID doesn't happen he stays at NU? Or are you trying to explain why he went to MTSU instead of a Power 5?
I have no actual knowledge, but I can't imagine anyone would pass up an NU degree for one from MTSU unless he felt that he would not see significant playing time at NU.
With Nicholson coming in, Young already slotted in as the starter, and Beran and Nance clearly ahead of him at the same size, things looked a bit bleak for Jones in terms of playing time. I wish him well, but this had nothing to do with COVID 19 and or the desire to be closer to home.

Likely first was playing time. Down the list was closer to home
My guess is 100% lack of playing time and it had nothing to do with being closer to home. Jones had offers from from some good schools academically before he chose NU, and none of them was in any rush to pick him up when he entered the transfer portal. MTSU is ranked #293 out of 381 National Universities By U.S. News. If he doesn't make it to the NBA, which seems rather unlikely, he's sure going to miss that NU degree.

Reactions: GOUNUII
My guess is 100% lack of playing time and it had nothing to do with being closer to home. Jones had offers from from some good schools academically before he chose NU, and none of them was in any rush to pick him up when he entered the transfer portal. MTSU is ranked #293 out of 381 National Universities By U.S. News. If he doesn't make it to the NBA, which seems rather unlikely, he's sure going to miss that NU degree.
Thanks for your contribution, Judge Smails

MTSU is ranked #293 out of 381 National Universities By U.S. News. If he doesn't make it to the NBA, which seems rather unlikely, he's sure going to miss that NU degree.

College is what you make out of it. If he applies himself and works hard, he’ll most certainly have lots of professional opportunities with a MTSU degree.

Reactions: Gladeskat
College is what you make out of it. If he applies himself and works hard, he’ll most certainly have lots of professional opportunities with a MTSU degree.
I hope you're right and wish Jared well. Nonetheless, I would question the wisdom of passing up an NU degree for a couple more years of college basketball.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Because I knew. Not sure about ALL players but it was well known by a few that he wanted to be closer to home. Trust me, I'm not a prophet. Yea, I know Gocatsgo and corbi keep making stuff up and belittle the kid but he definately had a place on our team and would have continued to increase his minutes. Everyone who watched him, saw him develop nicely over the course of the year, and he was pretty raw coming in. The only reason why I joined in on the subject was that the kid got crucified by Corbi and the clan as most kids do who decide to leave. The silver lining is that we are in great shape for 2021 recruits.

Regarding 2021, I know that many are claiming that Peanut Butter and Jelly is going to Duke. One guru site list Duke as 80%. NOT HAPPENING. Covid concerns,justified or not, are impacting some players on where they want to go. Seems like the difference is if someone has family nearby. At any rate, like the Jones info I had, the PBJ info is from someone I think is credible but it is second hand hearsay as I never spoke to PBJ. Just passing the info along, so don't burn me at the stake or cry that I don't have credentials. I don't but neither does anyone on here other than maybe a parent or two. he he

Because you aren’t a basketball player.
Nope, not currently a basketball player, but I've been an NU graduate for 55 years and am very well aware of the value of an NU degree. If Jared is comfortable, however, with trading an NU degree for a couple of more years of college basketball at MTSU, he is most welcome to do so, whether it's a good decision or not.

Because I knew. Not sure about ALL players but it was well known by a few that he wanted to be closer to home. Trust me, I'm not a prophet. Yea, I know Gocatsgo and corbi keep making stuff up and belittle the kid but he definately had a place on our team and would have continued to increase his minutes. Everyone who watched him, saw him develop nicely over the course of the year, and he was pretty raw coming in. The only reason why I joined in on the subject was that the kid got crucified by Corbi and the clan as most kids do who decide to leave. The silver lining is that we are in great shape for 2021 recruits.

Regarding 2021, I know that many are claiming that Peanut Butter and Jelly is going to Duke. One guru site list Duke as 80%. NOT HAPPENING. Covid concerns,justified or not, are impacting some players on where they want to go. Seems like the difference is if someone has family nearby. At any rate, like the Jones info I had, the PBJ info is from someone I think is credible but it is second hand hearsay as I never spoke to PBJ. Just passing the info along, so don't burn me at the stake or cry that I don't have credentials. I don't but neither does anyone on here other than maybe a parent or two. he he
Yes but given 2021 I would say that the program is better off since you and other insiders are hinting that Duke is out and that Collins has a great shot with PBJ. If we can get a couple 5 stars and a 4 star or 2 then we should be able to win the championship.

Turk, you nailed it about Jones being closer to home when everyone denied it. It gives you some credibility on PBJ staying close. Is this fals hope? Did another parent tip you off? Who?

Turk, you nailed it about Jones being closer to home when everyone denied it. It gives you some credibility on PBJ staying close. Is this fals hope? Did another parent tip you off? Who?

I just hope Turk sees your note and is able to reply.

Reactions: hoosboot
This sucks. I really enjoyed watching him play last year as he brought a lot of energy and athleticism.

I wish him all the best and hope he finds what he’s looking for at MTSU.
I liked his playas well but gee there is more interest of him on these boards then when he was a Wildcat. Quite a bit more.

Reactions: DaCat
I liked his playas well but gee there is more interest of him on these boards then when he was a Wildcat. Quite a bit more.
Not from me. I didn’t post much during the men’s basketball season for obvious reasons, but in one of my few posts I cited his play off the bench in B1G games as one of the reasons I was most excited about the team. You can have @IGNORE check the archives if you’d like.

He definitely would have been a contributor for us. I hope he dominates at MTSU.

Not from me. I didn’t post much during the men’s basketball season for obvious reasons, but in one of my few posts I cited his play off the bench in B1G games as one of the reasons I was most excited about the team. You can have @IGNORE check the archives if you’d like.

He definitely would have been a contributor for us. I hope he dominates at MTSU.
I'm with you there and thought he would be the starter in his last two seasons, if not before.

I actually think he may have started and surpassed Young as a junior

Why do you say Jones has a higher ceiling than Young?

Does anyone else on this Board get tired of almost every discussion devolving into personal attacks and criticisms?

E-Cat didn't say that Jones has a higher ceiling than Young. He said that he "has a higher ceiling athletically and physically than Young." Well, doesn't he? Isn't Jared Jones bigger, stronger and faster than Ryan Young? That's not a criticism of Young. It's an observation based upon the physicality of each of the young men (one of whom, btw, had a red-shirt year of working out with the teams's strength coach!). I love Ryan Young's game. His footwork, his passing ability, his demonstrated knowledge of how to play the game -- I've compared him on this board to Cameron Krutwig of Loyola -- who played an important, even crucial, role in Loyola's tournament team two years ago as a freshman. But Ryan, like Cameron, will never be a high flying, above-the-rim, kind of basketball player. That's not a criticism, it's a fact.

I think that it is objectively inarguable that J Jones has a higher ceiling "athletically and physically" than Ryan Young. That doesn't mean that I think Jones is a better player, but imo opinion he has the physical tools to become a very good college basketball player. Yes, perhaps the combination of Young, Nicholson, Nance, and Beran is enough big men, but I think Jones's potential will, or at bare minimum could, be missed. I hope the young man is happy with his decision and wish him well. . .

Jones has games where he put things together and others where he looked lost but with more experience I think his upside is higher than Young. No disrespect to Young and I hope he continues to improve but I think Jones is a bigger loss than we think

These are two very different players. I'd argue they play completely different positions.

Arguing who's better today, who has a higher ceiling....fun conversation but pretty much impossible at this point.

These are two very different players. I'd argue they play completely different positions.

Arguing who's better today, who has a higher ceiling....fun conversation but pretty much impossible at this point.
Yup. And I’d rather have them both given their contrasting skillsets and talents. This debate is stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT