ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Wright in the news for axing Warriors as a potential Washington team name

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
He’s what the kids call “woke” these days.

In the spirit of that engagement, I want to address a name that has emerged amongst our fanbase, "Warriors." One might look at this name as a natural, and even harmless transition considering that it does not necessarily or specifically carry a negative connotation. But as we learned through our research and engagement with various groups, "context matters" and that makes it a "slippery slope." Feedback from across communities we engaged clearly revealed deep-seated discomfort around Warriors, with the clear acknowledgment that it too closely aligns with Native American themes. Such an embrace of potentially Native-adjacent iconography and imagery would not represent a clear departure that many communities have so forcefully advocated for us to embrace, and that frankly, we set out to do when we started this process a year ago.
We have 89 years of history in this league and failing to acknowledge our past use of Native imagery in the consideration of the new name wouldn't be mindful of the individuals and communities that were hurt by the previous name. We've made significant changes in our organization and our culture, and our new name must reflect these changes. To that end, we will choose an identity that unequivocally departs from any use of or approximate linkage to Native American imagery.

I'm sure glad I've always been a Cowboys fan instead.

Why not task the tribes to decide the new name. Let each recognized tribe nominate somebody to a committee whose job is to choose the new name. If the tribes choose a name that "departs" from "linkage" to Native American imagery, then great. If they choose a name with such "linkage" that they believe honors them, then great.

Enough of being offended on others' behalf. If you're so concerned about what they think, then just let them choose.

He’s what the kids call “woke” these days.

In the spirit of that engagement, I want to address a name that has emerged amongst our fanbase, "Warriors." One might look at this name as a natural, and even harmless transition considering that it does not necessarily or specifically carry a negative connotation. But as we learned through our research and engagement with various groups, "context matters" and that makes it a "slippery slope." Feedback from across communities we engaged clearly revealed deep-seated discomfort around Warriors, with the clear acknowledgment that it too closely aligns with Native American themes. Such an embrace of potentially Native-adjacent iconography and imagery would not represent a clear departure that many communities have so forcefully advocated for us to embrace, and that frankly, we set out to do when we started this process a year ago.
We have 89 years of history in this league and failing to acknowledge our past use of Native imagery in the consideration of the new name wouldn't be mindful of the individuals and communities that were hurt by the previous name. We've made significant changes in our organization and our culture, and our new name must reflect these changes. To that end, we will choose an identity that unequivocally departs from any use of or approximate linkage to Native American imagery.

How about "The Team Formerly Known as ther Redskins?

Why not task the tribes to decide the new name. Let each recognized tribe nominate somebody to a committee whose job is to choose the new name. If the tribes choose a name that "departs" from "linkage" to Native American imagery, then great. If they choose a name with such "linkage" that they believe honors them, then great.

Enough of being offended on others' behalf. If you're so concerned about what they think, then just let them choose.
Offended on others' behalf?? I think its been pretty clear that it has been native American groups that have been pushing the Redskins to change for a long time. Also, it is absolutely noble to feel empathy for those who are hurting by acknowledging their pain and supporting them. It seems silly to take a shot at those who aren't native American but also are glad to see that stupid name be changed.

Offended on others' behalf?? I think its been pretty clear that it has been native American groups that have been pushing the Redskins to change for a long time. Also, it is absolutely noble to feel empathy for those who are hurting by acknowledging their pain and supporting them. It seems silly to take a shot at those who aren't native American but also are glad to see that stupid name be changed.
It's the comments like "linkage" to Native American imagery. The NCAA tried to ban Native American mascots for all NCAA teams, then certain teams (Utah, Florida State, etc.) had the actual tribes themselves stand up and say they liked the mascots, so the NCAA had to back down for those schools.

I'm not advocating for retaining the Redskins name, but ruling out any name with "linkage" to Native American imagery might not be what they want.

It's the comments like "linkage" to Native American imagery. The NCAA tried to ban Native American mascots for all NCAA teams, then certain teams (Utah, Florida State, etc.) had the actual tribes themselves stand up and say they liked the mascots, so the NCAA had to back down for those schools.

I'm not advocating for retaining the Redskins name, but ruling out any name with "linkage" to Native American imagery might not be what they want.
Wright inherited a mess. And he's being smart - given the nature of that mess - to steer the franchise in a completely new direction.

I don't see anything woke about his comments. Just being who he is. A really smart guy.

GOUNUII

In all seriousness I think they should stick with "Washington National Football Club". It sounds cool and where is it written a team nickname is required.

isn't it currently "Washington Football Team"? which is usually shortened to WFT. I often initially read that as "WTF," and I can't be the only one!

But in those cases, you have a mascot named after a specific regional tribe and not some stupid anglicized stereotype of native Americans. There was no honoring of native Americans going on in the original name and Jason was smart to not try and pretend there ever was.

Reactions: NUCat320

Invaded/massacred indigenous people as a mascot is inherently offensive. Because they’re, you know, people. Who were invaded and massacred. Then kicked out.

The best approach is for WFT to throw a bunch of money at appropriate indigenous causes and rename the team something wholly unrelated.

Like the Washington Pork.

Wright inherited a mess. And he's being smart - given the nature of that mess - to steer the franchise in a completely new direction.

I don't see anything woke about his comments. Just being who he is. A really smart guy.

GOUNUII
I never called him woke.

Invaded/massacred indigenous people as a mascot is inherently offensive. Because they’re, you know, people. Who were invaded and massacred. Then kicked out.

The best approach is for WFT to throw a bunch of money at appropriate indigenous causes and rename the team something wholly unrelated.

Like the Washington Pork.
Utah, Florida St., etc.

But in those cases, you have a mascot named after a specific regional tribe and not some stupid anglicized stereotype of native Americans. There was no honoring of native Americans going on in the original name and Jason was smart to not try and pretend there ever was.
I proposed a solution in my very first post in this thread. What's wrong with that?

GOUNUII
I have a friend who was highly-ranking in the WFT marketing organization when the change was announced. He left for greener pastures shortly thereafter.

For those of you ranting at home, this is called "context."

I like the Washington Tax Collectors. Who doesn't tremble in fear of them?
NOOOOOOO!

Th5FtAn.gif

I proposed a solution in my very first post in this thread. What's wrong with that?
And I'm telling you that they clearly have been in contact with native American groups in the past, and based on Wright's quote, continue to be in contact with them and they don't want the WFTs to have anything to do with native American imagery, names, or associations. Wright is smartly acknowledging that fact.

And I'm telling you that they clearly have been in contact with native American groups in the past, and based on Wright's quote, continue to be in contact with them and they don't want the WFTs to have anything to do with native American imagery, names, or associations. Wright is smartly acknowledging that fact.
I agree, TheC. What Wright and his colleagues WILL approve is still a matter of speculation. What they WON'T approve has been made clear.

PS..... This feels like old times! 😄
Man, I saw ricko write something super long and fairly eloquent (and, in a twist, not at all objectionable) in the NIL thread, and I was both elated and deflated.

No coincidence most of the names on a thread like this.

Reactions: ricko654321
I agree that Redskins is bad. Very bad.

Point of slight interest. I had a Native American girl who had moved to our area from a reservation. I asked her once what she thought of teams named after tribes. She said, “I think it's good. How else will people remember us?“ Not from statues, that's for sure. This week they pulled down a statue of Sacagawea.

-sigh-

Man, I saw ricko write something super long and fairly eloquent (and, in a twist, not at all objectionable) in the NIL thread, and I was both elated and deflated.

No coincidence most of the names on a thread like this.
haha usually we would have disagreed? most of my posts end up too long though... i start by thinking i want to write one quick thing but then there's always more context or nuance so it ends up being longer

I agree that Redskins is bad. Very bad.

Point of slight interest. I had a Native American girl who had moved to our area from a reservation. I asked her once what she thought of teams named after tribes. She said, “I think it's good. How else will people remember us?“ Not from statues, that's for sure. This week they pulled down a statue of Sacagawea.

-sigh-
They've been working on that Crazy Horse Memorial since before my father was born.

And here I thought the Rant Board was dead.
Perish the thought. This is a discussion on a leadership position of / decision made by one of our most impressive former football student athletes. And thus this discussion belongs on this board.

Well then he's clearly too busy to entertain an email from me, so why did you suggest it?
Because he’s also an intelligent man, and a well-reasoned, proactive email directed to him from a fellow NU alum might just catch his eye.

Or you can keep your head in the sand while the world keeps spinning out of control. But letting the aggrieved parties have a true hand in their next name may alleviate further pain.

Because he’s also an intelligent man, and a well-reasoned, proactive email directed to him from a fellow NU alum might just catch his eye.

Or you can keep your head in the sand while the world keeps spinning out of control. But letting the aggrieved parties have a true hand in their next name may alleviate further pain.
Never mind FF. He said “well-reasoned”. 😝

• Haha
Reactions: FeralFelidae
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT