ADVERTISEMENT

JON Gone

I'll believe it when NU announces.

Springer was probably long overdue, and if I remember correctly, came here from ties with McCall.

Long feels like a bit of a surprise, but I guess Hank's departure exposes a lot of whatever wasn't happening at the assistant level.

Long is surprising given his past track record with Fitz/NU. I could have envisioned a retirement as he is getting up there in age and has had some past health issues.

By the way, don’t be surprised by another “coincidence” when FItz hires Bryan Gasser to fill the WR position coach job. Gasser is the former Iowa State WR coach who happens to be on staff at NU as a quality control coach. Like coach Anderson, he was coincidentally brought on staff at NU a year before the position coach job they are suited for opens up.

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCats
Long is surprising given his past track record with Fitz/NU. I could have envisioned a retirement as he is getting up there in age and has had some past health issues.

By the way, don’t be surprised by another “coincidence” when FItz hires Bryan Gasser to fill the WR position coach job. Gasser is the former Iowa State WR coach who happens to be on staff at NU as a quality control coach. Like coach Anderson, he was coincidentally brought on staff at NU a year before the position coach job they are suited for opens up.
Worth noting Gasser was most recently OC for Akron before the entire staff was let go mid-season after a three-season run at 3-24.

• Wow
Reactions: drewjin
Nice, hope no one ever dances on your grave if you ever get fired. Have some common decency.
I've been fired (laid off) twice and I DIDN'T deserve it. Exceptional performance reviews and full performance bonuses. Both times I had a job before my last paycheck. Had to move halfway across country. Twice. Forgive me if I don't boohoo for a career failure multi millionaire that will have a job before the first of the year and probably has a nice severance

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Worth noting Gasser was most recently OC for Akron before the entire staff was let go mid-season after a three-season run at 3-24.
So your saying he accomplished Zip?

Maybe Fitz was impressed by how they beat us in 2018..

I can do this all day. Didn't even have to use Gasser

This is good news for the NU program. While on a personal level I'm not rejoicing about JON losing his job, he deserves to be fired for his incompetence.

So your saying he accomplished Zip?
I see what you did there.

Looks like he rolled with Matt Campbell's crew coming out of Toledo to Iowa State, where he would have known Ayeni who probably gave Fitz the rec. He made a logical choice to accept a promotion to OC at a mid-major and then crashed and burned for any number of reasons and found cover here this season where he helped us regress from three wins to one.

Reactions: DaCat
I've been fired (laid off) twice and I DIDN'T deserve it. Exceptional performance reviews and full performance bonuses. Both times I had a job before my last paycheck. Had to move halfway across country. Twice. Forgive me if I don't boohoo for a career failure multi millionaire that will have a job before the first of the year and probably has a nice severance
Since you’ve experienced it, you should know that getting fired is never easy, regardless of circumstances. Especially when you consider the impact on the family. Stop acting like a tool!

Reactions: Ch23701
AL9nZEXJNeIEB4I4iTuj8vllQoz09IT6wDZvdm3CL0P7ZA6x0kQ1sKQJnFRkrsGBop7PxVzUCXYNumjFDiiOHxwjsGbBN6LQ5U6elYHv2M6GJJCd75yJPTT8zLhmRPq5ld8NKSOO0ozMOReE47zaA-scwXQF=w578-h866-no

Since you’ve experienced it, you should know that getting fired is never easy, regardless of circumstances. Especially when you consider the impact on the family. Stop acting like a tool!
For JON’s sanity, I can only hope he has never read this board, and therefore is totally unaffected by what’s written here.

Reactions: Sheffielder
How about Hungry Jack's photo just below your post. Care to police that one as well?

This guy is a career failure (JON, not Hungry). It's not his fault for Fitz crapping the bed by hiring him. It is his fault for sucking.

How about Hungry Jack's photo just below your post. Care to police that one as well?

This guy is a career failure (JON, not Hungry). It's not his fault for Fitz crapping the bed by hiring him. It is his fault for sucking.
I don’t even bother with him. Don’t feed trolls.

Last edited:
Yep. All one has to do is see what he did at Tennessee or Central Michigan when he had just that. Heck, his offense averaged over 30 points and 450 yards per game in 2019 season at BC and he didn’t even have a good Qb that season. Inform yourself.

For JON’s sanity, I can only hope he has never read this board, and therefore is totally unaffected by what’s written here.
With all due respect, I hope for his sake he considers a career change. He is really bad at what he does and shouldn't be paid gobs of money for doing his job so poorly. Seriously. In the high stakes world of P5 football, there is no place for someone who is so incompetent at his job.

If a coach reads the fan message board, then their stupidity is palpable and they chose the wrong line of work. I really mean that.

It was interesting to read Lou's article that specifically mentioned JON's recruiting prowess. It tells me that he might not be cut out for DC positions based on his history, but he certainly has a place in coaching where he could earn a great living and thrive...just maybe not as the head guy on D and not at Northwestern.

If a coach reads the fan message board, then their stupidity is palpable and they chose the wrong line of work. I really mean that.

It was interesting to read Lou's article that specifically mentioned JON's recruiting prowess. It tells me that he might not be cut out for DC positions based on his history, but he certainly has a place in coaching where he could earn a great living and thrive...just maybe not as the head guy on D and not at Northwestern.
The guy is clearly a very good salesman. He landed two NFL DC jobs he was obviously unqualified for. Must be able to make a heck of a pitch.

With a quality QB, he could be just fine.
Oh, and a great WR corp. Apparently from these moves, Fitz is aware of this. Losing Washington is a big deal, though. They can't keep losing these good players to finish their careers with other teams, it is a huge momentum suck.

Nice, hope no one ever dances on your grave if you ever get fired. Have some common decency.
Stop policing fans. WDALYIC? No one ever wants anyone to get fired. We want to win. We want Fitz to hire great people. In an ideal scenario, no one would ever get fired, but the onus is on Fitz to hire great people. He did not do that in Jim O’Neil’s case and his exposure and firing was predictable before he even signed the dotted line.

If you hire great people who do excellent work, then fans won’t call for anyone to be fired. If you hire subpar people who have failed up their entire career, yeah fans (short for fanatic) get to relish when they get relief from bad decisions.

Reactions: drewjin and Go Catz
Yep. All one has to do is see what he did at Tennessee or Central Michigan when he had just that. Heck, his offense averaged over 30 points and 450 yards per game in 2019 season at BC and he didn’t even have a good Qb that season. Inform yourself.
So why haven't we seen anything comparable here? Is Fitz hamstringing Bajakian? Or is our current talent level that subpar? Or were the assistant coaches just that bad? What we saw on the field was pure garbage. He has been OC for 3 seasons now and hasn't even come close to those offensive stats you gave, even with Ramsey. I agree landing a great QB will go a long way, but not too sure one will even want to come to Evanston with such a sorry ass offense.

Stop policing fans. WDALYIC? No one ever wants anyone to get fired. We want to win. We want Fitz to hire great people. In an ideal scenario, no one would ever get fired, but the onus is on Fitz to hire great people. He did not do that in Jim O’Neil’s case and his exposure and firing was predictable before he even signed the dotted line.

If you hire great people who do excellent work, then fans won’t call for anyone to be fired. If you hire subpar people who have failed up their entire career, yeah fans (short for fanatic) get to relish when they get relief from bad decisions.

To add to this, no one is dancing on JON's "grave." He's going to be just fine. He's apparently a good NFL DB coach and he probably should go back to doing that. I feel bad for him that this didn't work out, but it's a high-profile job with many aspiring athletes depending on him and he failed spectacularly.

Reactions: TXnumbCAT
So why haven't we seen anything comparable here? Is Fitz hamstringing Bajakian? Or is our current talent level that subpar? Or were the assistant coaches just that bad? What we saw on the field was pure garbage. He has been OC for 3 seasons now and hasn't even come close to those offensive stats you gave, even with Ramsey. I agree landing a great QB will go a long way, but not too sure one will even want to come to Evanston with such a sorry ass offense.
Bajakian had AJ Dillon his final season at BC, and they ran 67% of the time.

His quarterbacks didn’t turn the ball over, but completed only 53% of passes.

He had tight ends ranked second, fourth, and fifth on the team in catches, and his top two WRs carried the ball a combined 31 times.

He did get touchdown passes from a WR and a RB.

His starting QB, Anthony Brown, was injured in the sixth game and entered the transfer portal in December, after the staff was fired. (So, not as a response to Bajakian staying.)

Based on the above, perhaps Fitz reined him in a bit, but I think we’ll be pounding lots of Porter next year.

A little bit of all the above.

To add to this, no one is dancing on JON's "grave." He's going to be just fine. He's apparently a good NFL DB coach and he probably should go back to doing that. I feel bad for him that this didn't work out, but it's a high-profile job with many aspiring athletes depending on him and he failed spectacularly.
No one is dancing on his grave? Give me a freaking break. No one is arguing the firing wasn’t warranted but no one should be doing backflips over a guy losing his job. Exclaiming “ding Dong the witch is dead” because a football coach got fired is the definition of dancing on his grave and shows a complete lack of class.

No one is dancing on his grave? Give me a freaking break. No one is arguing the firing wasn’t warranted but no one should be doing backflips over a guy losing his job. Exclaiming “ding Dong the witch is dead” because a football coach got fired is the definition of dancing on his grave and shows a complete lack of class.
Whatever. I would have volunteered to drive him to Ohare to be fired on the tarmac. He's an incompetent fraud, flim-flamming, somehow, teams into continuing to employ him to fail. Fitz was too stubborn, proud and loyal to see what we saw in game 1 of 2021. JON, with Fitz's gullible support, ruined 25 years of a proud program. We are back where we were in the early 90s because of him, and Fitz's pigheadedness. No, I don't feel bad for him. I feel bad for the players, the university, AND US. This career failure will have plenty of money until he fools some other team into taking him. Meantime, unless some miracle happens, some poor bastard has to clean up this green ooze he left behind. Might take years to get back to respectability.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT