ADVERTISEMENT

JON Gone

Whatever. I would have volunteered to drive him to Ohare to be fired on the tarmac. He's an incompetent fraud, flim-flamming, somehow, teams into continuing to employ him to fail. Fitz was too stubborn, proud and loyal to see what we saw in game 1 of 2021. JON, with Fitz's gullible support, ruined 25 years of a proud program. We are back where we were in the early 90s because of him, and Fitz's pigheadedness. No, I don't feel bad for him. I feel bad for the players, the university, AND US. This career failure will have plenty of money until he fools some other team into taking him. Meantime, unless some miracle happens, some poor bastard has to clean up this green ooze he left behind. Might take years to get back to respectability.
Grifters have been a thing recently. We seem particularly vulnerable to their enchantments. I believe we are catching on, finally.

WDALYIC may be the stupidest of all stupid internet abbreviations and that’s saying something. What was it Forrest Gump said? Stupid is as…

I learned it in a book about texting when I was in middle school. Haven’t used it in a while so I decided to dust it off.

• Love
Reactions: phatcat
If a coach reads the fan message board, then their stupidity is palpable and they chose the wrong line of work. I really mean that.

It was interesting to read Lou's article that specifically mentioned JON's recruiting prowess. It tells me that he might not be cut out for DC positions based on his history, but he certainly has a place in coaching where he could earn a great living and thrive...just maybe not as the head guy on D and not at Northwestern.
I am not suggesting he was a great coach, but the defense was playing “light years” better than the offense. The receivers were terrible, but they haven’t had a recruited a competitive QB in almost 10 years (Thorson) and he wasn’t great. Why wasn’t that addressed? Afierce over 30 years if session tickets, I am done.

Reactions: peatymeanis
For JON’s sanity, I can only hope he has never read this board, and therefore is totally unaffected by what’s written here.
Nobody should pay attention to fan ramblings on the internet. Anybody associated with a program would go crazy reading the stuff posted on fan sites like this.

Look at Ohio State fans calling for Ryan Day's head for losing to Michigan a 2nd time.

They're calling for the head of a 45-5 coach who's 21-0 in his last 21 games other than the Michigan game. 5 losses in 4 seasons and people are calling for him to be on the hot seat. It's completely insane.

Sometimes fans really are just (loony) fanatics.

Firing people is difficult in any business even one where the money is top 1% for several staffers. Coaching is difficult in terms of moving the family around a lot and all of that.

All that said, it's okay to point out that perhaps some coaches aren't meant to be coordinators or coaching in their capacities at this level. JON may make sense as an assistant in some capacity on a team, but certainly not as DC.

This is a big business. Northwestern's AD runs a $100+ million budget and will have raised around $1.2 billion for facilities over a decade; this is not a mom and pop shop like it was in the 80s or 90s where finding $1 million would have been tough. The big money alums want to win big in every sport and are putting up the money to do so.

So they're being paid fairly to perform in a job with a harsh spotlight if they're not performing well. That's the nature of the beast when random strangers discuss your job performance on the web like fans of sports teams do.

I am not suggesting he was a great coach, but the defense was playing “light years” better than the offense. The receivers were terrible, but they haven’t had a recruited a competitive QB in almost 10 years (Thorson) and he wasn’t great. Why wasn’t that addressed? Afierce over 30 years if session tickets, I am done.
Light years? Dog years, maybe.

Reactions: StreamCat
Since you’ve experienced it, you should know that getting fired is never easy, regardless of circumstances. Especially when you consider the impact on the family. Stop acting like a tool!
I agree with your sentiment, but the human nature of CFB fans can be pretty nasty, and face it downright crazy, but face it, it comes with having a high profile job. JON should go to a FCS school or a lesser FSB conference school. Not sure what Fitz was thinking with the hire in the first place. The longer this whacked out drama draws out, the more I wonder about Fitz. Why would he actually want to hold back his OC' s system? Why does he think ball control is the key to success, as the 3 yards and a cloud of dust went out of style when Woody got canned? You want to bring in a top QB? You better have a pass oriented offense, with a nice complimentary ground game of course.

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT