ADVERTISEMENT

Julian Roper

clarificationcat

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
I mentioned him in another post but I think he will really help the program. He's the top player on the top rated team in the State and they have beaten several other highly ranked teams. I am not sure about his outside shot but I think worst case he will be a more athletic, aggressive and skilled version of Gaines. I think he will find ways to score even if his 3-point shot is not great. And I think he will create some turnovers on defense, which we can use. And watching us on fast breaks recently made me remember that we need more finishers. We have turned a few fast breaks in recent games into scoring opportunities for the other team.

We were Gaines's only P5 offer. Compare that with Roper having offers from Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Missouri. He certainly is projected to be better than AG, but we shall see. Cautiously optimistic!

We were Gaines's only P5 offer. Compare that with Roper having offers from Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Missouri. He certainly is projected to be better than AG, but we shall see. Cautiously optimistic!
As I thought about it more, perhaps best case scenario is a Jitim Young type player (one of my favorite players). May take him a while to be consistent from outside like Jitim but can contribute in a lot of different ways and brings a toughness to the team that it frequently is missing.

His outside shot has definitely improved. Not a knock-down guy yet, but really good progress. St. Mary's doesn't need him shooting a lot of 3s; they have another player for that.

The State Champs basketball podcast from March 5 has a segment on Roper at the 6:30 mark. The main speakers are TJ Kelley with Endless Motor Sports and Scott Burnstein. They're really knowledgeable, and I'm not just saying that because Burnstein says nice things about my son's team (and my son) in the next segment.

State Champs Podcast

His outside shot has definitely improved. Not a knock-down guy yet, but really good progress. St. Mary's doesn't need him shooting a lot of 3s; they have another player for that.

The State Champs basketball podcast from March 5 has a segment on Roper at the 6:30 mark. The main speakers are TJ Kelley with Endless Motor Sports and Scott Burnstein. They're really knowledgeable, and I'm not just saying that because Burnstein says nice things about my son's team (and my son) in the next segment.

State Champs Podcast
Thanks for link and congratulations on your son.

Buie, Audige, Berry and Roper (choose 3) with Nance and Young.
Beran and Nicholson off the bench.
No it isn't how Collins wants to play.
Yes it is how NU should play.

Buie, Audige, Berry and Roper (choose 3) with Nance and Young.
Beran and Nicholson off the bench.
No it isn't how Collins wants to play.
Yes it is how NU should play.
Just how should NU play? Tell us , so we know what to look for.

Just how should NU play? Tell us , so we know what to look for.
My impression is that Collins would prefer to run up and down the floor.
Beyond that, he really wants to play that "offense" where you have one post player and 4 guys standing around the 3 point line. Then you drag the post player 20 feet from the basket to try to free up a shooter and eliminate the chance for an offensive rebound if he misses.

We have quality big guys, one of whom (Ryan Young) definitely doesn't want to be in a track meet.

We should play a "traditional" Big Ten offense, have two big guys on the floor 80% of the time. Rebound. Play post defense. Three guards defending the ball and the jump shooters. Let Young and Nance control the paint, score points and kick to open shooters.

(Robbie Beran and Pete Nance together does not count as "two big guys")

My impression is that Collins would prefer to run up and down the floor.
Beyond that, he really wants to play that "offense" where you have one post player and 4 guys standing around the 3 point line. Then you drag the post player 20 feet from the basket to try to free up a shooter and eliminate the chance for an offensive rebound if he misses.

We have quality big guys, one of whom (Ryan Young) definitely doesn't want to be in a track meet.

We should play a "traditional" Big Ten offense, have two big guys on the floor 80% of the time. Rebound. Play post defense. Three guards defending the ball and the jump shooters. Let Young and Nance control the paint, score points and kick to open shooters.

(Robbie Beran and Pete Nance together does not count as "two big guys")
well after PBJ commits and takes the floor at NU, Collins will just have to speed up the offense more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT