ADVERTISEMENT

Just Rewatched The Game

NorthwesternSeasider

Oct 20, 2020
First of all, what a great opening weekend to Big 10 football. I watched at least a part of the other 6 non-NU games and it just feels great to have the Big 10 teams playing again. A few, very brief thoughts:

1. Wisconsin impressed on Friday night. I know it was against Illinois but for their QB to have the debut he had was impressive. His production will obviously come back down to earth and they clearly do not have Jonathan Taylor anymore. As a brand new fan to Big 10 football I’d have to say they still look like the class of the West but reasonable minds can disagree.

2. Iowa will not want to lose two division games to start this condensed season. We better come ready to play.

3. It will be fun to watch Michigan State and Rutgers compete for the title of “Worst in Conference” this year. I guess, for now, advantage Rutgers? To be fair, Maryland might have something to say about that.

4. Ohio State looked like they were in mid season form and Michigan has a quarterback.

A couple of notes from the rewatch.

I’ve read on here that NU plays a bend but don’t break style on defense and that absolutely shone through on the D’s first drive. Three key plays that I think set the tone for the rest of the game:

1.) 1st&10 from the NU 24. Maryland had moved the ball up to the point. Maryland takes a shot to the end zone and Tagavailoa throws a really nice ball to their number 5 who (per the announcers) is supposed to be a start receiver for them. Play does not have a chance though because Bergin was with him stride for stride. That is an impressive cover for a linebacker.If they deliver on that shot who knows what it does to our confidence.

2.) 2nd&9 from the NU 11. I am not sure if Maryland just whiffed on the blocking or if they were building some type of screen concept into a run play but Leota got through the line with ease.

3.) 3rd&14 from the NU 16. Gallagher sniffs out and absolutely blows up the screen. Perfect execution from a senior linebacker.

One other note from the first drive: Brandon Joseph looks like he will be a really good player for us. I was excited to read that he is only a freshman. He made two solo, open-field tackles on the first drive that could have otherwise been big plays. On the first, he timed his sprint perfectly and met Marylands running back at the line of scrimmage when they ran a toss play to the short side. Maryland had it blocked up pretty well and it could have been a bigger gainer if Joseph misses on that.

On the second play, we were in a single high safety set and he made the tackle on the play when the refs missed the pick play on Maryland. There was a lot of green if he misses that block.

It really feels like we have some playmakers on defense and they showed it the rest of the night. I am excited to see what they can do on the road next week.

Our first offensive drive looks exactly how you hope it would when you have a grad transfer senior QB, a senior WR, I think two really good RBs - Bowser seems like the number one but Drake Anderson has some wheels. Nice change of pace.

I think we ran 14 plays on that first drive (I may have missed one or two). Three key plays that I think showed our offense can do some damage this year:

1.) 3rd&10 from the NU 25. Not to over dramatize but the last thing you want to do on the first drive of the season with a new grad transfer QB and offensive coordinator is go three and out. The first two plays could be boiled down to missed blocking assignments (first game nerves, I suppose because the O Line was outstanding) but 3rd&10 is tough for any team.

Ramsey kept their linebacker (44) frozen just log enough for RC-B to start his break. He throws an absolute dart that hits Ramaud in between the H and the W on his jersey. Huge play to gain some confidence and great execution to make it work on an obvious passing down.

2.) 2nd&7 from the Maryland 23. I liked this play because I think it highlights the fantastic play calling we saw all night. We run a play out of a bunch set for the third play in a row. This time the two TEs are lined up behind the O Line on the right side. We ran the first two times (successfully) so Maryland is likely thinking run but to the other side of the field.

The Maryland defender (19) obviously thought he’d be defending the run and heads up field aggressively. Raine runs right past him and Ramsey hits him right at the sticks before the next level defenders can meet him on his route. Such a great play design to take advantage of what had been working two plays in a row.

There are several more awesome plays (how could there not be - the defense pitched a shut out from this moment on) from just a really solid, wire-to-wire team win. All-in-all my key takeaways were:
  • We have some playmakers on defense that I am excited to watch this season
  • The O Line dominated. A dominating O Line combined with an accurate, smart QB that does not make mistakes is a lethal combination
  • Great debut for the new O coordinator. Loved the mix of tempo at times but also had the ability to slow it down and drag it out (see first drive out of halftime)
I did not get to watch too much of the Purdue Iowa game but I am excited to see how we match up next week. Win that one and I think the squad will have a lot of confidence going into week 3 versus Wisconsin. That game could easily be for the division.

Go Cats!

First of all, what a great opening weekend to Big 10 football. I watched at least a part of the other 6 non-NU games and it just feels great to have the Big 10 teams playing again. A few, very brief thoughts:

1. Wisconsin impressed on Friday night. I know it was against Illinois but for their QB to have the debut he had was impressive. His production will obviously come back down to earth and they clearly do not have Jonathan Taylor anymore. As a brand new fan to Big 10 football I’d have to say they still look like the class of the West but reasonable minds can disagree.

2. Iowa will not want to lose two division games to start this condensed season. We better come ready to play.

3. It will be fun to watch Michigan State and Rutgers compete for the title of “Worst in Conference” this year. I guess, for now, advantage Rutgers? To be fair, Maryland might have something to say about that.

4. Ohio State looked like they were in mid season form and Michigan has a quarterback.

I’ve read on here that NU plays a bend but don’t break style on defense and that absolutely shone through on the D’s first drive. Three key plays that I think set the tone for the rest of the game:

1.) 1st&10 from the NU 24. Maryland had moved the ball up to the point. Maryland takes a shot to the end zone and Tagavailoa throws a really nice ball to their number 5 who (per the announcers) is supposed to be a start receiver for them. Play does not have a chance though because Bergin was with him stride for stride. That is an impressive cover for a linebacker.If they deliver on that shot who knows what it does to our confidence.

2.) 2nd&9 from the NU 11. I am not sure if Maryland just whiffed on the blocking or if they were building some type of screen concept into a run play but Leota got through the line with ease.

3.) 3rd&14 from the NU 16. Gallagher sniffs out and absolutely blows up the screen. Perfect execution from a senior linebacker.

One other note from the first drive: Brandon Joseph looks like he will be a really good player for us. I was excited to read that he is only a freshman. He made two solo, open-field tackles on the first drive that could have otherwise been big plays. On the first, he timed his sprint perfectly and met Marylands running back at the line of scrimmage when they ran a toss play to the short side. Maryland had it blocked up pretty well and it could have been a bigger gainer if Joseph misses on that.

On the second play, we were in a single high safety set and he made the tackle on the play when the refs missed the pick play on Maryland. There was a lot of green if he misses that block.

It really feels like we have some playmakers on defense and they showed it the rest of the night. I am excited to see what they can do on the road next week.

Our first offensive drive looks exactly how you hope it would when you have a grad transfer senior QB, a senior WR, I think two really good RBs - Bowser seems like the number one but Drake Anderson has some wheels. Nice change of pace.

I think we ran 14 plays on that first drive (I may have missed one or two). Three key plays that I think showed our offense can do some damage this year:

1.) 3rd&10 from the NU 25. Not to over dramatize but the last thing you want to do on the first drive of the season with a new grad transfer QB and offensive coordinator is go three and out. The first two plays could be boiled down to missed blocking assignments (first game nerves, I suppose because the O Line was outstanding) but 3rd&10 is tough for any team.

Ramsey kept their linebacker (44) frozen just log enough for RC-B to start his break. He throws an absolute dart that hits Ramaud in between the H and the W on his jersey. Huge play to gain some confidence and great execution to make it work on an obvious passing down.

2.) 2nd&7 from the Maryland 23. I liked this play because I think it highlights the fantastic play calling we saw all night. We run a play out of a bunch set for the third play in a row. This time the two TEs are lined up behind the O Line on the right side. We ran the first two times (successfully) so Maryland is likely thinking run but to the other side of the field.

The Maryland defender (19) obviously thought he’d be defending the run and heads up field aggressively. Raine runs right past him and Ramsey hits him right at the sticks before the next level defenders can meet him on his route. Such a great play design to take advantage of what had been working two plays in a row.

There are several more awesome plays (how could there not be - the defense pitched a shut out from this moment on) from just a really solid, wire-to-wire team win. All-in-all my key takeaways were:
  • The O Line dominated. A dominating O Line combined with an accurate, smart QB that does not make mistakes is a lethal combination
  • Great debut for the new O coordinator. Loved the mix of tempo at times but also had the ability to slow it down and drag it out (see first drive out of halftime)
I did not get to watch too much of the Purdue Iowa game but I am excited to see how we match up next week. Win that one and I think the squad will have a lot of confidence going into week 3 versus Wisconsin. That game could easily be for the division.

Go Cats!
Wow, this is just a terrific post. Hats off to you my man and keep up the good work!

Great stuff- fantastic insights. I can tell you are going to be a wonderful contributor around here. One small correction, we have Nebraska at home in Week 3. Wisconsin doesn’t come to town until Week 5.

Big challenge next week. As you pointed out, Iowa is going to be doing everything possible to avoid 0-2 out of the gate. The Cats are going to have to play well, hopefully get a guy or two back in the middle of the d-line and take care of the ball to pull one out in Iowa City.

Reactions: Titanium999
Great stuff- fantastic insights. I can tell you are going to be a wonderful contributor around here. One small correction, we have Nebraska at home in Week 3. Wisconsin doesn’t come to town until Week 5.

Big challenge next week. As you pointed out, Iowa is going to be doing everything possible to avoid 0-2 out of the gate. The Cats are going to have to play well, hopefully get a guy or two back in the middle of the d-line and take care of the ball to pull one out in Iowa City.
Yes! My mistake. I got my white helmets with red lettering shown on my printed schedule mixed up.

Does the fact that it looks like it is going to be announced that the Wisconsin QB from Friday will likely not be playing for at least the next two or three weeks alter your thoughts on their challenging for the division title?

Great post NS.

Did you, as Glades likes to say, strap it on during high school?

Does the fact that it looks like it is going to be announced that the Wisconsin QB from Friday will likely not be playing for at least the next two or three weeks alter your thoughts on their challenging for the division title?
Well I had that date wrong. We don’t play Wisconsin until week 5. Nebraska is in 2 weeks. So their QB would likely be back before we meet them.

Go Cats!

Well that's one hell of a way to "introduce" yourself to the board. Kudos.

Reactions: FloridAlum
I'm way late to the party, but good call outs on that first drive (I love a good X's and O's discussion).

Based on the leverage of the corners it looked like we were in some sort of C1/robber type coverage there. We were willing to give up the inside moves because we had help there. Wheel route from the slot from WR5 so Bergin was already in good position. It worked on that play...not sure that you want that matchup all over the field, but the coverage held up very well on that play.

I think they were trying to run a zone play and one of the Maryland OL missed a call. Leota was the 5 technique on that play and I think as the LT for Maryland zone-stepped left he looked to be anticipating help from his guard on his right shoulder. But the C and G for Maryland were combo'ing the 3 technique inside so the call should have gone from the G to the T that he didn't have help. Call didn't go out, Leota makes the play.

Brandon Joseph looks like he will be a really good player for us. I was excited to read that he is only a freshman. He made two solo, open-field tackles on the first drive that could have otherwise been big plays. On the first, he timed his sprint perfectly and met Marylands running back at the line of scrimmage when they ran a toss play to the short side. Maryland had it blocked up pretty well and it could have been a bigger gainer if Joseph misses on that.

Are you talking about the jet sweep play here? That was a bit of a "wow" play for me as well. They tried running the speed sweep to the field and Joseph came down like a bullet to trip up the WR. I was a little concerned as the play was developing about his angle being too steep, but he corrected just enough to stop the play for no gain.

1.) 3rd&10 from the NU 25. Ramsey kept their linebacker (44) frozen just log enough for RC-B to start his break. He throws an absolute dart that hits Ramaud in between the H and the W on his jersey. Huge play to gain some confidence and great execution to make it work on an obvious passing down.

Dart is a great word to describe that toss. The televised view provided a great idea of what that window looked like. He slid that ball under the over the top coverage and between the two underneath coverages (flat and curl/hook zones). And most importantly, he kept the ball relatively low so as to not get RCB killed. It was great execution and I absolutely agree that it gave the offense some confidence...almost like a "Not this year!" type of play right off the bat! :)

2.) 2nd&7 from the Maryland 23. We run a play out of a bunch set for the third play in a row. This time the two TEs are lined up behind the O Line on the right side. We ran the first two times (successfully) so Maryland is likely thinking run but to the other side of the field. The Maryland defender (19) obviously thought he’d be defending the run and heads up field aggressively. Raine runs right past him and Ramsey hits him right at the sticks before the next level defenders can meet him on his route. Such a great play design to take advantage of what had been working two plays in a row.

I love this play concept. Teams run it out of all different formations...love the usage of the big bodies inside the way we did it on Saturday. It's called spacing and it's a horizontal stretch on underneath coverages. Basically you get one guy going to the flat, one guy coming to the middle (to a spot near over the ball), and you get one guy simply hooking at about 5-7 yards. But with the compressed TE alignments, we basically used the middle route to wall off the Mike backer, the flat route (again, due to the compressed alignment) moved the hook defender to the flat a little bit, leaving no one in the spot where Raine ended up catching the ball (in that vacated hook zone).

Definitely a lot to like out of the performance on Saturday. After the requisite tempering because Maryland, I still think there are some very positive things to take away moving to Iowa week.

I'm way late to the party, but good call outs on that first drive (I love a good X's and O's discussion).

Based on the leverage of the corners it looked like we were in some sort of C1/robber type coverage there. We were willing to give up the inside moves because we had help there. Wheel route from the slot from WR5 so Bergin was already in good position. It worked on that play...not sure that you want that matchup all over the field, but the coverage held up very well on that play.

I think they were trying to run a zone play and one of the Maryland OL missed a call. Leota was the 5 technique on that play and I think as the LT for Maryland zone-stepped left he looked to be anticipating help from his guard on his right shoulder. But the C and G for Maryland were combo'ing the 3 technique inside so the call should have gone from the G to the T that he didn't have help. Call didn't go out, Leota makes the play.

Are you talking about the jet sweep play here? That was a bit of a "wow" play for me as well. They tried running the speed sweep to the field and Joseph came down like a bullet to trip up the WR. I was a little concerned as the play was developing about his angle being too steep, but he corrected just enough to stop the play for no gain.

Dart is a great word to describe that toss. The televised view provided a great idea of what that window looked like. He slid that ball under the over the top coverage and between the two underneath coverages (flat and curl/hook zones). And most importantly, he kept the ball relatively low so as to not get RCB killed. It was great execution and I absolutely agree that it gave the offense some confidence...almost like a "Not this year!" type of play right off the bat! :)

I love this play concept. Teams run it out of all different formations...love the usage of the big bodies inside the way we did it on Saturday. It's called spacing and it's a horizontal stretch on underneath coverages. Basically you get one guy going to the flat, one guy coming to the middle (to a spot near over the ball), and you get one guy simply hooking at about 5-7 yards. But with the compressed TE alignments, we basically used the middle route to wall off the Mike backer, the flat route (again, due to the compressed alignment) moved the hook defender to the flat a little bit, leaving no one in the spot where Raine ended up catching the ball (in that vacated hook zone).

Definitely a lot to like out of the performance on Saturday. After the requisite tempering because Maryland, I still think there are some very positive things to take away moving to Iowa week.
Thanks Coach Jake!

What was your take on the two pick plays...one was called against NU and one was not called against Maryland (if my memory serves me correct).

What was your take on the two pick plays...one was called against NU and one was not called against Maryland (if my memory serves me correct).
Going from memory here...I think the NU call was pretty bad. I think the ref "thought" he saw McGowan picking Bowser's guy, but I think it was just the CB (guarding McGowan) putting his hands on/jamming McGowan...don't think 8 ever touched Bowser's guy.

I think the one caveat to the Maryland pick play was where the ball was caught. If it was caught behind the LOS then technically it's a screen pass. Usually it's the RPO stuff that drums up the downfield blocking conundrums for the officials...my guess is that they deemed it a legal play due to the RB catching the ball behind the LOS.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Going from memory here...I think the NU call was pretty bad. I think the ref "thought" he saw McGowan picking Bowser's guy, but I think it was just the CB (guarding McGowan) putting his hands on/jamming McGowan...don't think 8 ever touched Bowser's guy.

I think the one caveat to the Maryland pick play was where the ball was caught. If it was caught behind the LOS then technically it's a screen pass. Usually it's the RPO stuff that drums up the downfield blocking conundrums for the officials...my guess is that they deemed it a legal play due to the RB catching the ball behind the LOS.

Completely agree on the NU call...thought that was a major miss by the officials. Good point on the Maryland pick play...hadn't thought of that, don't think the announcers mentioned it either.

Go Cats!

Some great stuff here!

I really appreciated you pointing out the early single high look on defense. Hank often starts off the game in a soft cover 4/quarters to take inventory of the opposition and like any good play caller, starts adjusting as he gets ascertains more information on his opponents plan of attack. Hank doesn’t bring extra men on the rush a ton, but gets pretty creative with it when he does (his zone blitz with an end dropping into the flat is a classic).

Best thread in a long time. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Some great stuff here!

I really appreciated you pointing out the early single high look on defense. Hank often starts off the game in a soft cover 4/quarters to take inventory of the opposition and like any good play caller, starts adjusting as he gets ascertains more information on his opponents plan of attack. Hank doesn’t bring extra men on the rush a ton, but gets pretty creative with it when he does (his zone blitz with an end dropping into the flat is a classic).

Best thread in a long time. Many thanks.

Nice to see Ruiz on that corner blitz. Perfect execution by our CB!

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT