ADVERTISEMENT

Kafka

Would he be one of those head coaches who also calls the plays or would he let his OC do that?

There goes the OC NU needs.

"Fast Track" is too slow to describe his rise. Huge honor. And it looks like the competition is a bunch of other OCs.

There goes the OC NU needs.

"Fast Track" is too slow to describe his rise. Huge honor. And it looks like the competition is a bunch of other OCs.
Once again, Eric Bieniemy gets passed over because the Chiefs are in the playoffs Must eat at him to see his former underling get a sniff at a head coaching job.

Reactions: mountaindrew
Do really believe that’s the reason Bienemy keeps getting passed over?
His nephew, Jamal Bieniemy, played basketball at UTEP. Listening to the announcers during each game, it sounded like "The Enemy" was scoring points and making plays.

Maybe it's a case of mistaken identity.

Panthers going to interview him for HC.
Surprised that Steve Wilks isn't getting the gig. First coach to not have a losing record under Tepper ownership and he did it with almost no offensive weapons (Chubba Hubbard, Donta Foreman, DJ Moore with Baker Mayfield, PJ Tucker, and Sam Darnold under center? Eeek!) That they had a shot at the playoffs after Matt Rhule "led" them to a 1-4 start is a minor miracle. He might actually qualify for sainthood.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
His nephew, Jamal Bieniemy, played basketball at UTEP. Listening to the announcers during each game, it sounded like "The Enemy" was scoring points and making plays.

Maybe it's a case of mistaken identity.
Eric “Sleeping With” Bienemy

Let somebody else take the Colts job.

Eric “Sleeping With” Bienemy

Let somebody else take the Colts job.

Yes Sir. I'm rooting for Bienemy too, and I could definitely see the Colts hiring him... but I hope for his sake he doesn't land his first HC gig with that clusterduck organization. Or Houston.... Lord have mercy.

Yes Sir. I'm rooting for Bienemy too, and I could definitely see the Colts hiring him... but I hope for his sake he doesn't land his first HC gig with that clusterduck organization. Or Houston.... Lord have mercy.

Bienemy would be foolish not to take the Colts job regardless of the quality of the organization. The guy has literally now interviewed or had an interview request with HALF of the teams in the NFL.

• Wow
I haven't followed the Giants much. Is Kafka calling plays or is it Daboll? As a local Saint Rita guy who I watched play in HS many times, I have a special affinity for Mike and wish him nothing but boundless success. I think he needs another year or two of seasoning before he is ready to take on a Head Coaching job.
FWIW I’ve read in other articles about the Giants offense that Kafka started calling plays in training camp and Danoll the Giants HC was pleased with Kafka’s play calling and Mike has continued to call plays as the OC since then. I wonder if NU/Fitz would reach out to Kafka in the off-season to get some ideas from him about revamping the offense. Seems like we could use his advice as some kind of consultant. We did something similar back in 2000 with the spread offense when we reached out to other programs during the prior off-season for ideas to boost our offense.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
FWIW I’ve read in other articles about the Giants offense that Kafka started calling plays in training camp and Danoll the Giants HC was pleased with Kafka’s play calling and Mike has continued to call plays as the OC since then. I wonder if NU/Fitz would reach out to Kafka in the off-season to get some ideas from him about revamping the offense. Seems like we could use his advice as some kind of consultant. We did something similar back in 2000 with the spread offense when we reached out to other programs during the prior off-season for ideas to boost our offense.
All we really need is to for Fitz to let Jake run his offense without interference. If you go back and look at what Bajakian did at BC, Tennessee, Cincinnati and Central Michigan, there are a lot of similar concepts to what you saw the Giants and Kafka deploy this year.

All we really need is to for Fitz to let Jake run his offense without interference. If you go back and look at what Bajakian did at BC, Tennessee, Cincinnati and Central Michigan, there are a lot of similar concepts to what you saw the Giants and Kafka deploy this year.
Perhaps if he had:

A) A competent QB
B) Receivers who got separation
C) A decent OL

he would.

Reactions: cattul
Probably best for Mike to spend another year w/ the Giants and wait for a better opportunity to open up, but one can't but help heap praise on the job Kafka and Daboll have done on the offensive end.

Coming into the season, pretty much everyone thought that the Giants didn't have a competent QB and were wondering how long it would be before Tyrod Taylor would take over (while thought DJ could have been taken later, always thought he had potential and just needed better coaches and some time to develop).

The Giants WR group was average at best when healthy, but their best receivers ended up getting hurt, so they ended up having to rely on Slayton (a 5th round pick who has the propensity to drop passes) and a bunch of practice squad receivers.

O-line has long been an issue for the Giants, but while the group has improved over the course of the season, the FO still needs to upgrade at certain spots to make it decent, overall.

Kafka simplified the game plan for DJ and made things easier for DJ by scheming to get targets open, whether that be the WRs/TE or the backs - by using motion to move the safety, having WRs clear out a space for the RB to slot into as a receiver, etc.

So, DJ was able to get rid of the ball quickly against a pretty good Vikings pass rush; if his 1st or 2nd read wasn't open, Jones tucked it and ran (in addition to his designed runs).

Last edited:
Probably best for Mike to spend another year w/ the Giants and wait for a better opportunity to open up, but one can't but help heap praise on the job Kafka and Daboll have done on the offensive end.

Coming into the season, pretty much everyone thought that the Giants didn't have a competent QB and were wondering how long it would be before Tyrod Taylor would take over (while thought DJ could have been taken later, always thought he had potential and just needed better coaches and some time to develop).

The Giants WR group was average at best when healthy, but their best receivers ended up getting hurt, so they ended up having to rely on Slayton (a 5th round pick who has the propensity to drop passes) and a bunch of practice squad receivers.

O-line has long been an issue for the Giants, but while the group has improved over the course of the season, the FO still needs to upgrade at certain spots to make it decent, overall.

Kafka simplified the game plan for DJ and made things easier for DJ by scheming to get targets open, whether that be the WRs/TE or the backs - by using motion to move the safety, having WRs clear out a space for the RB to slot into as a receiver, etc.

So, DJ was able to get rid of the ball quickly against a pretty good Vikings pass rush; if his 1st or 2nd read wasn't open, Jones tucked it and ran (in addition to his designed runs).
I know the Giants have a big decision on whether to extend DJ or not. I think the scheme you just described is incredibly effective, but likely will mean DJ will have a short half-life. We're already seeing it with Lamar Jackson in Baltimore. He revolutionized the position, but we are seeing now he can't stay on the field after a few years of doing this. I predict Josh Allen will be the next phenom who will begin to lose effectiveness in a couple years because the injuries keep mounting. I saw a few hits that DJ took in that Viking game and he won't last long doing that week in and week out.

I know the Giants have a big decision on whether to extend DJ or not. I think the scheme you just described is incredibly effective, but likely will mean DJ will have a short half-life. We're already seeing it with Lamar Jackson in Baltimore. He revolutionized the position, but we are seeing now he can't stay on the field after a few years of doing this. I predict Josh Allen will be the next phenom who will begin to lose effectiveness in a couple years because the injuries keep mounting. I saw a few hits that DJ took in that Viking game and he won't last long doing that week in and week out.
'It's not a big decision. They'd be idiots not to extend him. If they don't, there will at least a half dozen teams fighting each other to sign him. News flash guys, a mobile QB is a prequisite to be successful in today's NFL. If you don't have one, you are getting crushed.

'It's not a big decision. They'd be idiots not to extend him. If they don't, there will at least a half dozen teams fighting each other to sign him. News flash guys, a mobile QB is a prequisite to be successful in today's NFL. If you don't have one, you are getting crushed.
Tom Brady made a pretty good career of not being particularly mobile.

First of all when Tom Brady was in his prime, the NFL was a different league than it is today. Secondly, Tom Brady’s most unique characteristic was his feel and mobility for avoiding pressure within the pocket. Quite unique and an exception to the rule. I don’t see any other Tom Brady’s in the NFL these days.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

“In today’s NFL.”

Brady’s kryptonite has been pressure up the middle for a long time now, he just doesn’t like pressure or people around his feet when throwing. His Hall of Fame career was enabled pretty significantly by consistently strong OL and schemes in New England, that has deteriorated pretty significantly with each year in Tampa. While I don’t recall the exact stat, the MNF crew said on the broadcast that Brady is at the top of the league when either getting rid of the ball quickly or no under pressure, bottom of the league under pressure. It was very stark.

Modern NFL football is incorporating more and more QB run game concepts from college to keep defenses on their toes. Beyond that, QBs that can move effectively both within and outside the pocket can do wonders to make up for offensive shortcomings. The Bradys of the NFL will be in shorter supply going forward, the Fieldses of the NFL much more common.

Reactions: Rebel II

In today’s college football as well.

DJ and Josh running (as well as Fields), at least at the current frequency, is more out of necessity than what their co-ordinators want due to lacking talent elsewhere on O.

Once the Giants add a #1 receiver and further shore up the O-line, should see the # of carries by the QB drop a bit.

Roethlisberger wasn't in any way a running QB, but he would escape the pocket/scramble to buy time, often with a defender hanging off of him - so one doesn't need to be a running QB to get hit.

Heck, Siemian has gotten plenty of real nasty hits playing behind porous O-lines.

Going back to Kafka, he did make some mistakes such as trying to run Barkley behind the LG on 1st down too often during the 1st 3rd of the season - which wpuld put the O behind schedule and thus, killed drives.

But unlike a certain someone, didn't take him long to learn from that mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosboot
Perhaps if he had:

A) A competent QB
B) Receivers who got separation
C) A decent OL

he would.

You know, the basic things that an offense is supposed to have, and for which the OC is responsible for in at least some part.

For that matter, A and B especially generally gravitate to programs that run offenses that can possibly showcase their skillsets, prepare them for the next level, and are somewhat fun to play in.

Giants at #1 seed Eagles tomorrow and MK has a talent deficit... but maybe he has the coaching skills to offset it.

GO GIANTS!

Kafka now one of three finalists for the Arizona Cardinals head coaching job....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT