ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky’s Barnhart sends strongly worded letter to Pac-12 about bowl officiating

Stop crying. It’s unappealing. I’ve watched the play in which Snell was ejected and I really think it comes down to “don’t act like a dooosh” and you’ll be OK. I don’t buy the argument that the ref should give the young man some slack becuz he did it in the heat of the moment. Just like your mother said, “don’t be a dooosh.” While the ref perhaps was a bit thin skinned, Snell pissed him off. Ya never know what’s gonna happen when you piss someone off.

Stop crying. It’s unappealing. I’ve watched the play in which Snell was ejected and I really think it comes down to “don’t act like a dooosh” and you’ll be OK. I don’t buy the argument that the ref should give the young man some slack becuz he did it in the heat of the moment. Just like your mother said, “don’t be a dooosh.” While the ref perhaps was a bit thin skinned, Snell pissed him off. Ya never know what’s gonna happen when you piss someone off.

Dooosh, eh?

Kentucky fans were visibly upset about the games outcome and I cannot blame them. I remember being very upset when Fitz went for two using a trick play in the Outback bowl year's back rather than extending the overtime game. As I was walking back to downtown Nashville after the game a very drunk and upset Kentucky fan walking next to me was yelling out "Free Benny Snell" which was obviously his thinking about the reason for the loss. Consistently bad calls were made against both teams but ultimately bad coaching decisions decided the outcome. Thankfully the last one came from Stoops.

Last edited:
Kentucky fans were visibly upset about the games outcome and I cannot blame them. I remember being very upset when Fitz went for two using a trick play in the Outback bowl year's back rather than extending the overtime game. As I was walking back to downtown Nashville after the game a very drunk and upset Kentucky fan walking next to me was yelling out "Free Benny Snell" which was obviously explanation reason for the loss. Officiating was bad but on both sides but ultimately bad coaching decisions decided the outcome. Thankfully the last one came from Stoops.

Going for the win in regulation was the right call.

Reactions: Bwm57 and Artie M.
The referees gave us a terrible spot on our 4th down play, then declined to correct it upon review. So what's Kentucky complaining about? The refs are responsible for giving them the opening to nearly win the game.

The referees gave us a terrible spot on our 4th down play, then declined to correct it upon review. So what's Kentucky complaining about? The refs are responsible for giving them the opening to nearly win the game.

Well, Fitz probably was responsible for keeping them in the game with two very questionable fourth-down decisions, and I say this as a great admirer of Fitz. The officiating was not good, but I don't see what Kentucky thinks they're gaining with a complaint at this point.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Well, Fitz probably was responsible for keeping them in the game with two very questionable fourth-down decisions, and I say this as a great admirer of Fitz. The officiating was not good, but I don't see what Kentucky thinks they're gaining with a complaint at this point.

Barnhart's letter is sad. Nothing more than a crybaby crying. Something you would expect from an irate, ill informed fan in the immediate emotional aftermath of a tough loss. The only thing missing was the foul language.

Had he had the intelligence to include how the poor officiating impacted the overall game experience on both sides of the LOS, he could have at least maintained a semblance of credibility. That would have been consistent with a real concern for the quality of the student athlete experience. And it would have dispelled the overriding message of his letter that UK feels it was cheated and disrespected by less than impartial, incompetent officiating. But he didn't. Choosing instead to make a fool of himself.

I wonder how much SEC style "jawing" the officials took from the UK sideline throughout the game?

And yes, both teams and their fans suffered from the most poorly officiated game I can remember in my 45 years of watching way too much college football.

GOUNUII

Kentucky fans were visibly upset about the games outcome and I cannot blame them. I remember being very upset when Fitz went for two using a trick play in the Outback bowl year's back rather than extending the overtime game. As I was walking back to downtown Nashville after the game a very drunk and upset Kentucky fan walking next to me was yelling out "Free Benny Snell" which was obviously his thinking about the reason for the loss. Consistently bad calls were made against both teams but ultimately bad coaching decisions decided the outcome. Thankfully the last one came from Stoops.
How can you label either of those objectively bad calls? Just because they failed to succeed?

In the Outback Bowl, our kicker had been hurt and we were at a serious disadvantage on the extra point and especially if the OT came down to field goals. Fitz made a defensible decision.

Kentucky’s defense was gassed and we were getting good yards running straight at them. UK’s quarterback was pretty badly hurt and less than 50%. Snoops’ decision was also defensible.

The pooch kick rather than traditional onsides on the next kick-off was a mistake by UK.

How can you label either of those objectively bad calls? Just because they failed to succeed?

The reverse-pass from the two was not a "high probability" play. If going for it, I would much rather have seen us give the ball to JJackson.

It was aggressive, but I don't have a problem with the sneak given how well our defense had been playing.

Kentucky’s defense was gassed and we were getting good yards running straight at them. UK’s quarterback was pretty badly hurt and less than 50%. Snoops’ decision was also defensible.

Except that we didn’t move the ball on them running in our clock eating series, hence the failed fourth down sneak.

Reactions: CatFanEd
I remember reading about the sham classes a lot of the USC players who beat us in the Rose Bowl had taken from a professor "fan," but it didn't seem to change the outcome. Including the QB hit in his letter where Gaziano clearly held up when he and the QB hit the boundary exposes this letter as an embarrassing tantrum from a university president.

If true, the "Do you want some more of this." comment indicates that the refs were sending a message. Hard to tell what was happening on the sidelines but at the game it did feel like Kentucky was out of control.

In the Outback Bowl, our kicker had been hurt and we were at a serious disadvantage on the extra point and especially if the OT came down to field goals. Fitz made a defensible decision.

The pooch kick rather than traditional onsides on the next kick-off was a mistake by UK.
I suppose you would give kudos to the coach for the trick play on the 3 yard line when we were "running effectively straight at them" and the failed fourth down quarterback sneak. attempt with an undersized quarterback in his first real game. Kentucky should have never had the opportunity to tie or beat us in my opinion.
If true, the "Do you want some more of this." comment indicates that the refs were sending a message. Hard to tell what was happening on the sidelines but at the game it did feel like Kentucky was out of control.
Kentucky as a group is undisciplined. That is the biggest criticism that the Kentucky fans lodge against Stoop. If you saw their game against Louisville it would be clear why many fans feel this way.

Reactions: willycat
I suppose you would give kudos to the coach for the trick play on the 3 yard line when we were "running effectively straight at them" and the failed fourth down quarterback sneak. attempt with an undersized quarterback in his first real game. Kentucky should have never had the opportunity to tie or beat us in my opinion.

What does the quarterback's size have to do with anything?

Reallt you don't feel that a maybe a 6'0,185LB QB just might have a little, tiny bit of less push then a 6-5, 235LB guy, wow!

Don't think that tiny incremental amount makes much of a difference when considered in the context of five OL and five DL (plus LBs, RBs, TEs, etc.).

Reallt you don't feel that a maybe a 6'0,185LB QB just might have a little, tiny bit of less push then a 6-5, 235LB guy, wow!
Not being up arguments about old qb's but I seem to remember colter(minus the OSU game) and Persa being pretty damn good at the qb sneak.

Not being up arguments about old qb's but I seem to remember colter(minus the OSU game) and Persa being pretty damn good at the qb sneak.
You do? OK but would you rather have a 6-5, 235 lb. guy versus a 6'0, 185 lb. guy sneak for a yard? Be honest now.

You do? OK but would you rather have a 6-5, 235 lb. guy versus a 6'0, 185 lb. guy sneak for a yard? Be honest now.

You want me to be honest?

I’m not terribly shocked that you’ve found yet another thing to complain about and am beginning to wonder if it’s all a Turk-like act or legitimate.

You want me to be honest?

I’m not terribly shocked that you’ve found yet another thing to complain about and am beginning to wonder if it’s all a Turk-like act or legitimate.
What the hell are you talking about. The QB sneak and the trick play near the goal were both subject to ridicule from many known football minds. Yes minds with more football knowledge then me or YOU.

Reactions: CatFanEd
Honestly colter was the best at the sneak I've seen at NU. Thorson is really good as well. Depends on the guy in all honesty and I'm not gonna base it on their size but what I see on the field.

Honestly colter was the best at the sneak I've seen at NU. Thorson is really good as well. Depends on the guy in all honesty and I'm not gonna base it on their size but what I see on the field.
If you're playing the percentages, and you have 2 guys who are good at the QB sneak, take the bigger one, particularly now that the rules permit teammates to push him from behind.

Reactions: willycat
If you're playing the percentages, and you have 2 guys who are good at the QB sneak, take the bigger one, particularly now that the rules permit teammates to push him from behind.

Wouldn’t a legal push mean that the size of th QB matters even less?

Except the one that really mattered, although he was the victim of a bad spot.

And the angle of leverage and the opposing force.
The speed and direction of the wind are also a factor, but not in the way one might not think, since a strong head wind may provide lift, which would argue for the lighter QB.

Reactions: SciCat
Wouldn’t a legal push mean that the size of th QB matters even less?
Nope, because guys like Matt, Colter and Persa went low and tried to "burrow" for the first down, whereas Thorson stayed relatively upright and was much more easily pushed.

The speed and direction of the wind are also a factor, but not in the way one might not think, since a strong head wind may provide lift, which would argue for the lighter QB.

Only if they have Bernoulli Butt.

And now we’re over-thinking.
Not really, just stating facts. Remember when ND illegally pushed Matt Leinert into the end zone for the winning touchdown. It's relatively easy when you have a big mobile QB like Thorson since they changed the rule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT