ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky’s Barnhart sends strongly worded letter to Pac-12 about bowl officiating

Not really, just stating facts. Remember when ND illegally pushed Matt Leinert into the end zone for the winning touchdown. It's relatively easy when you have a big mobile QB like Thorson since they changed the rule.

Whatever floats your boat.

Only if they have Bernoulli Butt.
The probability for success goes up if the QB also has Venturi butt. The training table nutritionist needs to prepare the QB for Venturi butt. The pusher can just wear a mask.

Writing letters, howling at the moon and p$ssing & moaning maybe good for the soul but they still lost. Time to move on.

Reactions: phatcat
What does the quarterback's size have to do with anything?
I rarely agree with you, but Matt Alviti is a great athlete and a good runner. And he made the line to gain. And the refs crapped their pants. Again. Play of the game, fourth and short, they missed it. Falls into "you had one thing to do" category

If true, the "Do you want some more of this." comment indicates that the refs were sending a message. Hard to tell what was happening on the sidelines but at the game it did feel like Kentucky was out of control.
I think this is the crux of the issue that I haven't seen discussed. Watching on TV from the very beginning with the body slam of Skownoren and what looked like an excessive amount of in your face jawing and after the play poking and taunting. It appeared that Kentucky was over line from physical, hard nosed football, into brawling and fighting and poor sportsmanship. It wasn't just that they were being aggressive, they were trying to pick a fight or maybe thought they could intimidate. I don't think the ref's knew what to do with it. They called the unsportsman like play against Skowronek and then another, I think, but when it began to look like they were calling more against Kentucky, they started feeling the pressure to make calls against NU.
What needs to be examined, IMO, is how a team of officials handles a team whose attitude is out of control. At some point they need guidelines about warning the coaching staff or something. It is not hockey. I wouldn't watch it if it were hockey.

Not really, just stating facts. Remember when ND illegally pushed Matt Leinert into the end zone for the winning touchdown. It's relatively easy when you have a big mobile QB like Thorson since they changed the rule.
Slight correction. USC pushed; ND lost.

I think this is the crux of the issue that I haven't seen discussed. Watching on TV from the very beginning with the body slam of Skownoren and what looked like an excessive amount of in your face jawing and after the play poking and taunting. It appeared that Kentucky was over line from physical, hard nosed football, into brawling and fighting and poor sportsmanship. It wasn't just that they were being aggressive, they were trying to pick a fight or maybe thought they could intimidate. I don't think the ref's knew what to do with it. They called the unsportsman like play against Skowronek and then another, I think, but when it began to look like they were calling more against Kentucky, they started feeling the pressure to make calls against NU.
What needs to be examined, IMO, is how a team of officials handles a team whose attitude is out of control. At some point they need guidelines about warning the coaching staff or something. It is not hockey. I wouldn't watch it if it were hockey.
I was kinda expecting KY Jelly to be more like MS State or MO, and less like TENN and Auburn. Disappointing

Thanks, Deeringfish. I think the Board has been all over the legitimacy of the calls when I don't think all of this has anything to do with that. The refs were struggling with how to control the emotions of the game, not the nuances of the calls. Kentucky came out fired up, out of control. Jawboning, etc. They were looking for calls to make to quiet Kentucky down. I don't fault that. Been there as a ref.

But the very first questionable personal foul call was against us.

Thanks, Deeringfish. I think the Board has been all over the legitimacy of the calls when I don't think all of this has anything to do with that. The refs were struggling with how to control the emotions of the game, not the nuances of the calls. Kentucky came out fired up, out of control. Jawboning, etc. They were looking for calls to make to quiet Kentucky down. I don't fault that. Been there as a ref.
I watched UK's last game against Louisville and the same exact player behavior was taking place but they never came close to winning because of it. No lessons learned there. This is a coaching issue that Stoops needs to address in my opinion.

I watched UK's last game against Louisville and the same exact player behavior was taking place but they never came close to winning because of it. No lessons learned there. This is a coaching issue that Stoops needs to address in my opinion.
No disrespect to back ups, I think we beat them by 20 if CT and Paddy play the entire game.

No disrespect to back ups, I think we beat them by 20 if CT and Paddy play the entire game.
Like you, I was at the game and would agree that we win big if we hadn't lost Thorson and Fisher. In fact, just before Clayton went down, I said to GOUNUII, who was sitting next to me, "we're going to win this game easily." Too bad injuries and the refs had so much to say about the outcome.

Like you, I was at the game and would agree that we win big if we hadn't lost Thorson and Fisher. In fact, just before Clayton went down, I said to GOUNUII, who was sitting next to me, "we're going to win this game easily." Too bad injuries and the refs had so much to say about the outcome.
WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS GAME EASILY.
Think back and tell me how often you felt that way in an important game? I think it really says something about the state of the program.

WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS GAME EASILY.
Think back and tell me how often you felt that way in an important game? I think it really says something about the state of the program.

It says far more about the program to me that we were able to overcome the loss of key players and a couple of coaching brain farts and still win the game. There were plenty of times that wouldn't have happened in the past.

It says far more about the program to me that we were able to overcome the loss of key players and a couple of coaching brain farts and still win the game. There were plenty of times that wouldn't have happened in the past.
Absolutely ! I'm just ready for the fans to begin to expect victory the way we hope the players do. The anxiety many of us get when we are favored to win for example especially against ranked teams. In our heads we think the program has improved but our hearts too often betray how we really feel.
No Chores seems to have arrived.

Reactions: rmndcat
Agreed. Right before the injury I remember relaxing and thinking that things looked pretty good. I did not know yet that Skowronek was not returning to the game. It looked like we were generally playing better at every facet. I never feel that way during a game. Of course, it was nerves as usual when CT went down. I watched the replay on the big screen and knew that he was not coming back to the game.

Wouldn’t the smaller, lighter quarterback be even easier to push??
This is fun.

Smaller and lighter (and more malleable) would make it easier for them to squirm into the small holes between the linemen. Plus if they’re shorter it would be harder for the defense to see where they are going. And...their appetites would be smaller, so the food costs at training table would be lower.

Smaller and lighter (and more malleable) would make it easier for them to squirm into the small holes between the linemen. Plus if they’re shorter it would be harder for the defense to see where they are going. And...their appetites would be smaller, so the food costs at training table would be lower.
We can only hope the coaches are reading this board.

Writing letters, howling at the moon and p$ssing & moaning maybe good for the soul but they still lost. Time to move on.
There’s a similar thread on this topic on the UK board. For reasons I won’t get into here, the UK fan base is somewhat divided over the AD Mitch Barnhart (MB). Most UK fans are ok with what he did, but understand that it was mostly for public relations management to show he supports the UK FB coaching staff and players. I agree that it’s time to move on....

There’s a similar thread on this topic on the UK board. For reasons I won’t get into here, the UK fan base is somewhat divided over the AD Mitch Barnhart (MB). Most UK fans are ok with what he did, but understand that it was mostly for public relations management to show he supports the UK FB coaching staff and players. I agree that it’s time to move on....

One thing fans on both sides appear to agree on is that the officiating sucked. I've often found this to be true when Northwestern ventures west for a game. I have respect for Pac12 and WAC teams, but beware of officiating from either of those conferences.

ADVERTISEMENT