ADVERTISEMENT

KJ Costello

techtim72

Gold Member
May 10, 2010
Is going to school on LSU. Mike Leach's offense executed to a "T".

Dude, he's a grad transfer from Stanford. We played against him last year.

Every year Leach seems to find a QB that “executes his offense to a T”. I think this says a lot more about Leach’s offense than it does about Costello.
Well, maybe, but I believe Costello broke the all-time SEC single game passing record with 623 yards, so it wasn't all Leach.

The gaudy statistics are a function of the system in my opinion.
Without a doubt. Everyone says the "system" is simple, just a dozen or so plays. So you'd think it would be copied by other coaches. Doesn't seem like it has been. He just seems to have a secret sauce. If MSU can play defense they will be a tough out.

Reactions: Titanium999
Without a doubt. Everyone says the "system" is simple, just a dozen or so plays. So you'd think it would be copied by other coaches. Doesn't seem like it has been. He just seems to have a secret sauce. If MSU can play defense they will be a tough out.

Whether they are good on defense or not won't be because they don't have the horses. Terrific looking athletes.

Well, maybe, but I believe Costello broke the all-time SEC single game passing record with 623 yards, so it wasn't all Leach.
We’re seeing new levels of sloppiness across the board. Texas State is up by two TDs on Boston College.

While the stats are impressive and he earned the record, I doubt that LSU defense is either that talented or performing at a high level. We’re going to see a lot of weird things happen during this truncated season.

Reactions: runawayCat
Costello was a pretty good Qb at Stanford and remains so now. The gaudy statistics are a function of the system in my opinion.
Well, if that's the case. lets hire Mike Leach! I don't think we had 623 yards passing all of last year.

Calm down - I was kidding. But maybe we should just adopt his unstoppable system!

I am plenty calm. Just remarking that from my perspective there is much more to being a good college coach that makes me want to root for you than having an effective offensive scheme.

Costello was a pretty good Qb at Stanford and remains so now. The gaudy statistics are a function of the system in my opinion.

I sure wish we had their system for the past decade. Instead of McFail’s.

I dislike Leach, and watched teams with well coached defenses stop his offense pretty regularly the last 8 years since I watch a lot of PAC-12 games. On the other hand, his offense humiliated a lot of teams with superior physical talent.

The fact that Bo Pelini is LSU’s defensive coordinator kind of says it all, though, so yesterday’s humiliation couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

At Nebraska, I thought Pelini’s (and his brother’s) defenses were designed to be physically aggressive and opportunistic, but lacked the flexibility to adapt to unconventional attacks. It looks like maybe he has brought that flaw to Baton Rouge.

The concept of playing complementary football across all three phases of the game is still foreign to you.

If the O had been complementary instead of being a handicap for the D, wouldn't have so many bad losses (Akron, W. Mich, IL St. and going back to Army and UNH).

Programs like Wisky and Stanford rarely have those types of losses.

I wouldn’t be a NU fan any longer if Mike Leach was running our program.
What's your issue with Mike Leach? I mean he runs an unconventional style but I hadn't really gotten the impression that he's sleazy or anything. Honestly he seems like a hilarious dude. Weird to be sure, but weird isn't always bad.

Reactions: drewjin
What's your issue with Mike Leach? I mean he runs an unconventional style but I hadn't really gotten the impression that he's sleazy or anything. Honestly he seems like a hilarious dude. Weird to be sure, but weird isn't always bad.

You must not have been following very closely. Try googling “Mike Leach Craig James Son”

He did not put a kid in a shed. The kid was a cancer just like his old man.
He put a kid in a shed. He’s sleazy. He got fired for his conduct.
Like I said there are two sides to the story. I did not do extensive research here and it seems like a he said / he said case anyways so who knows. If you believe Leach's side of the story, then the kid was an entitled prick who probably should have been cut earlier. If you believe the James's side of the story, then Leach and his medical folks are jerks. Maybe both sides are true.

FWIW, from what I can tell Leach did not get fired for actions that he took (which are under debate), he got fired because he refused to write an apology letter. TT wanted to keep him if he would have just acknowledged a mistake and apologized to the father - he was not willing to do that. Which, from his perspective is bc he didn't do what he was accused of I guess. The one thing I can say with confidence about the situation is that Leach is stubborn. Also, if Leach's side is more true (don't know), it sounded to me like the helicopter dad here was more of a prick than the kid himself.

Anyways, thanks for reminding me of that one - such a long time ago...

Like I said there are two sides to the story. I did not do extensive research here and it seems like a he said / he said case anyways so who knows. If you believe Leach's side of the story, then the kid was an entitled prick who probably should have been cut earlier. If you believe the James's side of the story, then Leach and his medical folks are jerks. Maybe both sides are true.

FWIW, from what I can tell Leach did not get fired for actions that he took (which are under debate), he got fired because he refused to write an apology letter. TT wanted to keep him if he would have just acknowledged a mistake and apologized to the father - he was not willing to do that. Which, from his perspective is bc he didn't do what he was accused of I guess. The one thing I can say with confidence about the situation is that Leach is stubborn. Also, if Leach's side is more true (don't know), it sounded to me like the helicopter dad here was more of a prick than the kid himself.

Anyways, thanks for reminding me of that one - such a long time ago...
CJK5H

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT