ADVERTISEMENT

Kopp to Indiana

A poor teammate is often called a “locker room cancer”. Come on yourself.
I don't know that Kopp's teammates saw him that way.

I have seen symptoms of "cancer" on certain teams before, with behavior spilling out of the locker room onto the court (supposed teammates not getting along). I didn't see any evidence of this with Kopp.

Reactions: ThirdCoast
I don't know that Kopp's teammates saw him that way.

I have seen symptoms of "cancer" on certain teams before, with behavior spilling out of the locker room onto the court (supposed teammates not getting along). I didn't see any evidence of this with Kopp.
Let’s just say, you don’t know what you don’t know. :)

Reactions: Rebel_
Just thought this topic needed its own thread. Lot's of interesting insight analysis in a few different places. My quick take is that this move was all about winning. There was a lot of speculation (me included) that he wanted to go back home to Texas. But now it seems as if the losing streaks just wore on him. I wish him well and hope he doesn't go for 30 against us.
It's not about US, it is about him.

"I think the Big Ten will see a different player," he said. "Someone who's a versatile player offensively and more than a shooter. Playing in the open court, playing in ball screens and more swagged up overall, to be frank." - Miller Kopp

Until he misses a few shots in a row and has that whiny look on his face. I didn’t like his attitude during the losing streak when he was missing shots. Brought the whole team down with him. We were better with a faster, scrappier lineup that could get second chance points and looks at the rim.

Reactions: The Purple Knight
Overall Kopp was a big disappointment. Since we’re being frank, 30% 3 point shooters are a dime a dozen. Versatile player? Uh, no. Kopp was a one trick pony who’s one trick deserted him. No Defense, no rebounds, no inside scoring and he always looked unhappy. If he gets any significant playing time at Indiana it’s a good sign for the rest of the Big Ten teams.
Adios, Miller.

Last edited:
I'm sad to see Kopp go to a B1G team, I'd rather root for him to succeed and now I can't really do that.

I suspect that if he can show up at Indiana as a role player coming off the bench ala Taphorn, or be the third scoring option on the team, he will thrive, Indiana will profit, and it will be a good investment for them.

He's just never had the speed/quickness/skills to be the #1 go to guy against B1G caliber defense. And really, that is usually the problem for whichever NU player is currently our best offensive tool.

And I did based on what I know. Go figure.

Is there anything there or are you just blowing smoke?
I postulated that Kopp may have been at odds with other guys on the team, but acknowledged that I was just guessing...
At least provide some context, otherwise I'll declare that Buie, Nance and Coach Collins are all locker room pariahs.

Is there anything there or are you just blowing smoke?
I postulated that Kopp may have been at odds with other guys on the team, but acknowledged that I was just guessing...
At least provide some context, otherwise I'll declare that Buie, Nance and Coach Collins are all locker room pariahs.
There’s something there. You can declare anything you want.

Reactions: rwhitney014
He's just never had the speed/quickness/skills to be the #1 go to guy against B1G caliber defense. And really, that is usually the problem for whichever NU player is currently our best offensive tool.
That's where a stud PG like McIntosh comes in to distribute the ball. Kopp wasn't the problem; the missing puzzle piece is the problem.

Reactions: drewjin
"Sources told WildcatReport that Kopp's departure was not a surprise to the coaches or players."

That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge. Open to many interpretations

Sounds more like sour grapes than actual knowledge.
People who claim to "know" things but then can't provide any context... no reason whatsoever to believe that person.

People who claim to "know" things but then can't provide any context... no reason whatsoever to believe that person.
Pretty rich coming from the guy who parachuted into this board 2 months ago to declare that Matt Nicholson was going to transfer because Collins didn't play him.

Easier to ignore and/or sweep aside things you don't want to listen to than to actually consider the possibility they might be true.

Pretty rich coming from the guy who parachuted into this board 2 months ago to declare that Matt Nicholson was going to transfer because Collins didn't play him.
Nice revisionist history.
I expressed my concern that Nicholson would transfer if he didn't play.
I expressed my belief that he should be playing.
I corrected a handful of clowns who thought he was 6'11" 215 when he is almost 7'1" 255.
I believe that he will probably transfer out of NU if he doesn't play substantial minutes next year.
I think he can be a dominant post player.

You need to get over yourself.

Easier to ignore and/or sweep aside things you don't want to listen to than to actually consider the possibility they might be true.
I established the possibility that Kopp might have been a bad fit in the locker room before you even thought about bringing it up.

I'm asking you for info and you are refusing. That is weak, when you are essentially slandering a player.

There's literally additional reporting on the The Rock right now. That reporting happens to match things I've heard secondhand from friends who have very direct ties. I couldn't prove it in court, but that doesn't really matter here.

NU athletics is a small world, and many of the posters here have access to our athletics programs from various roles and relationships over the years. Our members have had, and will continue to have, inside knowledge on a fairly regular basis, but we won't necessarily divulge it on a message board in order not to burn anyone for no reason.

Anyone is welcome to believe what they want, but our longstanding posters know who has info and who's just speculating. There's nothing wrong with speculating, but let's not go after people who often have good reasons for not getting into specifics on a public forum.

I established the possibility that Kopp might have been a bad fit in the locker room before you even thought about bringing it up.

I'm asking you for info and you are refusing. That is weak, when you are essentially slandering a player.

I'd been hearing a lot of the same things about the locker room late in the season and I'm nowhere near close to the basketball program.

There's literally additional reporting on the The Rock right now. That reporting happens to match things I've heard secondhand from friends who have very direct ties. I couldn't prove it in court, but that doesn't really matter here.
Could you point me to said "reporting"?

I'd been hearing a lot of the same things about the locker room late in the season and I'm nowhere near close to the basketball program.

I hear even less than that, but locker room problems aren't all that unusual, especially when a team is losing a ton. It's interesting though that one of the big ideas people were championing here to suggest that NU will be much better next year was that everyone was coming back. Now that not everyone is coming back, the rationale for why NU will be much better is necessarily changing. The only thing I know is that I appreciate 112 owning up to his sour grapes. ;)

I hear even less than that, but locker room problems aren't all that unusual, especially when a team is losing a ton. It's interesting though that one of the big ideas people were championing here to suggest that NU will be much better next year was that everyone was coming back. Now that not everyone is coming back, the rationale for why NU will be much better is necessarily changing. The only thing I know is that I appreciate 112 owning up to his sour grapes. ;)
Well... if you're handing out praise, let it be known that I was an a$$hole on this thread too!

• Haha
Reactions: hoosboot

NU athletics is a small world, and many of the posters here have access to our athletics programs from various roles and relationships over the years. Our members have had, and will continue to have, inside knowledge on a fairly regular basis, but we won't necessarily divulge it on a message board in order not to burn anyone for no reason.

Anyone is welcome to believe what they want, but our longstanding posters know who has info and who's just speculating. There's nothing wrong with speculating, but let's not go after people who often have good reasons for not getting into specifics on a public forum.
Then maybe it should stay on The Rock.

"Miller Kopp down to three" thread. Lou has some info there for those interested.
Read that. He wants to do more than catch and shoot. Also it was not a surprise for coaches and players he transferred.

Can easily spell problems in locker room. Can easily just mean he was unhappy. Or both. Which one is it?

Then maybe it should stay on The Rock.
...which is why, up until just now, posters were respecting Lou's reporting and having those discussions on The Rock.

Read that. He wants to do more than catch and shoot. Also it was not a surprise for coaches and players he transferred.

Can easily spell problems in locker room. Can easily just mean he was unhappy. Or both. Which one is it?

Again, sorry, I'm not going to get into specifics I learned in confidence on a public board. I've made plenty of commentary on this transfer both here and on The Rock, which I stand by. I think the whole situation sucks, but the bottom line is Kopp is gone, and I hope his former coaches and teammates use it as a rallying cry.

Reactions: lunker35
Again, sorry, I'm not going to get into specifics I learned in confidence on a public board. I've made plenty of commentary on this transfer both here and on The Rock, which I stand by. I think the whole situation sucks, but the bottom line is Kopp is gone, and I hope his former coaches and teammates use it as a rallying cry.
Did not ask for sources. Just curious to know if the locker room was tumultuous or just sad. If it was not one, the other, or both, then our players have no heart.

Rock Shaming seems to be a new thing around here. I'm perfectly cool with premium content being behind the wall, but I hope this isn't a move to make the entire site a gated community.
It's not about shaming, it's about respecting the work that Louie does, which is not free to provide. I'd encourage you (and anyone else) to join The Rock if you're able, because you'd enjoy the information and discussion there.

Most Rivals sites have an overwhelming majority of their content behind paywalls. We're one of the few that don't. I was surprised a few years ago when I went seeking viewpoints from other schools on game weeks and found that I largely couldn't access their content without a separate subscription. In this case, there are largely parallel discussions on a big story, but when the discussion on this board veers into "you can't back it up!" when the proprietor of the site has published information along the lines of what people are referencing on the paid board, we've reached an impasse.

The fastest way to kill the free board will be for members who don't subscribe to The Rock pushing off discussion to the premium forum, because there won't be anything worth talking about on the 330 days a year there aren't football and basketball game threads.

Reactions: drewjin
there won't be anything worth talking about on the 330 days a year there aren't football and basketball game threads.
Frankly, there is nothing worse than game threads and the hot takes some folks have. I sometimes read them after a game is over just to get a few laughs at the insanity that transpires in the heat of the moment, but stay away otherwise. They make the Rant Board look tame by comparison.......;)

It's not about shaming, it's about respecting the work that Louie does, which is not free to provide. I'd encourage you (and anyone else) to join The Rock if you're able, because you'd enjoy the information and discussion there.

Most Rivals sites have an overwhelming majority of their content behind paywalls. We're one of the few that don't. I was surprised a few years ago when I went seeking viewpoints from other schools on game weeks and found that I largely couldn't access their content without a separate subscription. In this case, there are largely parallel discussions on a big story, but when the discussion on this board veers into "you can't back it up!" when the proprietor of the site has published information along the lines of what people are referencing on the paid board, we've reached an impasse.

The fastest way to kill the free board will be for members who don't subscribe to The Rock pushing off discussion to the premium forum, because there won't be anything worth talking about on the 330 days a year there aren't football and basketball game threads.
Thanks for taking the time to explain that.
It helps explain the occasional passive/aggressive reactions to factual information!
I'm just an NU grad who likes to back up his opinions with sources or data.

and obviously if a departing player makes NU (or the coach) look bad in some light, there are going to be immediate attacks on the departing player from certain quarters. Not my kind of thing.

Frankly, there is nothing worse than game threads and the hot takes some folks have. I sometimes read them after a game is over just to get a few laughs at the insanity that transpires in the heat of the moment, but stay away otherwise. They make the Rant Board look tame by comparison.......;)

I'd posit that the post-win comedy read is the exact reason to have a game thread in the first place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT