ADVERTISEMENT

Kopp tops off a hell of week

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
(Maybe a hell of "A" week too.)

At this time last year, many of us had the feeling NU's cherry could be popped in one of the next two seasons. My question was (and somewhat still is) whether the improvement can be sustained.

Kopp's commitment really makes this recruiting class look like it has the possibility to be the continuation of a different NU.

But there were a few other events this week that go beyond the recruiting class. This is quietly a strong foundational week that demonstrates this may TRULY be a long-term thing that doesn't slip back into the same ol', NIT-lovin' NU.

1) Maybe it's just me, but the introduction of the new arena and a 3D model adds a little more authenticity to the "wow" factor and what's around the corner. Despite a couple limitations, it looks like NU is really entering the modern world.

2) For me, some of the strongest statements about CC's future came out of Doug Collins' press conference the other day. His repeated references to his grandkids living here, them living here for a long time, not missing a Northwestern game and the family's love of the area screamed more about Chris than Doug and the Bulls.

I've always heard Doug was cemented in Arizona. Obviously, things are pulling him a bit more into Chicago, and the press conference made it clear it has as much to do with his family in Chicago as it does that lousy Bulls organization.

3) Back to the recruiting class. This is such a crucial class for Collins' staff. It's the one that defines if his program has a chance to continue thriving. It's pretty clear they have given themselves a good chance to grow - and it's finished before October 1. Onto 2019 and a head start on that class!!

A new arena. Indications of competent coaching stability. And a strong recruiting class completed early in the cycle.

Wow!!

(Maybe a hell of "A" week too.)

At this time last year, many of us had the feeling NU's cherry could be popped in one of the next two seasons. My question was (and somewhat still is) whether the improvement can be sustained.

Kopp's commitment really makes this recruiting class look like it has the possibility to be the continuation of a different NU.

But there were a few other events this week that go beyond the recruiting class. This is quietly a strong foundational week that demonstrates this may TRULY be a long-term thing that doesn't slip back into the same ol', NIT-lovin' NU.

1) Maybe it's just me, but the introduction of the new arena and a 3D model adds a little more authenticity to the "wow" factor and what's around the corner. Despite a couple limitations, it looks like NU is really entering the modern world.

2) For me, some of the strongest statements about CC's future came out of Doug Collins' press conference the other day. His repeated references to his grandkids living here, them living here for a long time, not missing a Northwestern game and the family's love of the area screamed more about Chris than Doug and the Bulls.

I've always heard Doug was cemented in Arizona. Obviously, things are pulling him a bit more into Chicago, and the press conference made it clear it has as much to do with his family in Chicago as it does that lousy Bulls organization.

3) Back to the recruiting class. This is such a crucial class for Collins' staff. It's the one that defines if his program has a chance to continue thriving. It's pretty clear they have given themselves a good chance to grow - and it's finished before October 1. Onto 2019 and a head start on that class!!

A new arena. Indications of competent coaching stability. And a strong recruiting class completed early in the cycle.

Wow!!

Good stuff, 112!

This is the part that gets really exciting. Chris Collins, Vic Law, B-Mac, Lindsey, and others had to take a leap of faith a few years ago that they could accomplish what no one ever has. And they did it!

Now we no longer have people who were like, "it would be kind of cool to be the first, and the only other schools that wanted me were in the MAC anyway, so I might as well go." Instead people are saying, "look at THAT! THAT is what I want to be a part of." The more good years NU has, the more recruits will turn their heads at us, and someday 10 years from now, there will be recruits who will say stuff like "I've been an NU fan my whole life!" without even realizing NU sucked for so long. It's like football recruits today. They don't even remember 9/11. For them, NU has always been a pretty good team and not the car wreck it was in the 1970s and 1980s. I'm psyched that we can get to that point very soon.

yes. great post.

i wouldn't say northwestern has arrived. its still possible CCC and staff go the football route and have a 10 win season then miss a bowl game then a low end bowl game then a great 10 win season again. we were not a lock heading into last 2 regular season games before UM. its possible we miss the tourney next year.

but NUMBB also has also proven many negative recruiting tactics to be null and void:
- most athletic and deep composite roster with several 4* kids
- not a team consisting of players who had NU as highest/only option
- new arena
- new practice facility
- a growing and passion filled fan base and student section
- an improving and fun game day atmosphere
- can win at NU and play in tourney
- not a gimmick offense that wont translate to pro ball
- not a place that wont develop you as a player

still battle:
- small academic based campus
- not a comparable social scene to other schools
- "nerd" based campus feeling
- academics are too challenging

still need to improve:
- 1st team all-B1G
- NBA role player
- NBA draft
- NBA 1st rounder
- long streak of tournament appearences

because of this i dont think we have arrived. we are trending in the right direction

While I'd like to say I disagree think you are spot on. Step in the right direction but along way to go before viewed as consistent tourney team and top of B1G

This basketball team has more depth of athletes than the football team did when they have gone 5-7 after a 10 win season. With numerous 4-star players on the roster and high 3-star players who play like 4-star players like McIntosh, Lindsey and Pardon, they have the depth to sustain injuries to most players. However, injuries and illnesses could change things. I mean all the starters could get mono.

On the other hand, a NU team with injuries to two talented players for the season like Falzon, Rap and for significant parts of the season in Pardon and Lindsey and not using the mysterious 13th scholarship did not stop last year's team from having its best season ever. My point is that the basketball is set up for more sustained success than the football team because of a stronger nucleus of players. The football team has not had enough talented players at the line of scrimmage (offensive line and defensive line) to overcome an off-year unlike a team that they are playing next week in UW. Hopefully, that will change for the better starting next Saturday at 11 am.

This basketball team has more depth of athletes than the football team did when they have gone 5-7 after a 10 win season. With numerous 4-star players on the roster and high 3-star players who play like 4-star players like McIntosh, Lindsey and Pardon, they have the depth to sustain injuries to most players. However, injuries and illnesses could change things. I mean all the starters could get mono.

On the other hand, a NU team with injuries to two talented players for the season like Falzon, Rap and for significant parts of the season in Pardon and Lindsey and not using the mysterious 13th scholarship did not stop last year's team from having its best season ever. My point is that the basketball is set up for more sustained success than the football team because of a stronger nucleus of players. The football team has not had enough talented players at the line of scrimmage (offensive line and defensive line) to overcome an off-year unlike a team that they are playing next week in UW. Hopefully, that will change for the better starting next Saturday at 11 am.
Agree. And you know why they have a stronger nucleus? Better recruiting and player development. I admit it is harder for football to recruit 85 deep scholarship players than 13 for basketball. But the BB staff is simply better than the football staff.

still battle:
- small academic based campus
- not a comparable social scene to other schools
- "nerd" based campus feeling
- academics are too challenging

I wonder if a thriving basketball team helps the social/nerd issue. Many smart guys want the sports entertainment value of a school. Basketball entertains throughout the winter when it is most difficult to be in Chicago. A team that is Duke-lite in caliber checks some big boxes in what some guys are looking for in college.

Who knows what girls are looking for.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
yes. great post.

i wouldn't say northwestern has arrived.

What's happening on the court separate from the talent, is far, far above average. And on both ends. It took a few years to get the roster into a place that it could play Collins' preferred style. Last year was the first of that on happened on both ends. Coaches and players know that NU runs its schemes and d like a well executed machine. That's only going to improve with better, longer, more athletic players.

Player development is the piece that addresses everything else on Haywood's list. NU's pretty good at that, so you have to look at the overall body of work and think that in a few years, Collins has a decent chance to get there.

- a growing and passion filled fan base and student section
- an improving and fun game day atmosphere

because of this i dont think we have arrived. we are trending in the right direction

I put so many qualifiers in my original post that I thought someone was going to mistake me for a lawyer.

I hope I didn't portray this as being a done deal. I agree that one season does not qualify as "arrival."

I agreed with most of your post, Haywood, and each of the subtopics. However, I gotta say I wasa bit surprised you qualified the fan base, student section and atmosphere as details that are no longer points of concern.

Yes, the Michigan and Purdue games demonstrated what the Welsh can be. However, those were two games of an 18-game home season.

I think NU still has to prove it can consistently fill a small arena and drag students to free tickets. It shouldn't be so difficult to fill a 6000-8000 seat stadium.

And that's the short list.

Agree. And you know why they have a stronger nucleus? Better recruiting and player development. I admit it is harder for football to recruit 85 deep scholarship players than 13 for basketball. But the BB staff is simply better than the football staff.

This.

A HC's role (aside from being the face of the program) is to hire the best staff, be a good game manager/motivator and to be the closer in recruiting.

CC has had no issue letting James draw up the plays at the end of games in real tight situations since he's hired top notch assistants and let them do what they do best.

Reactions: IGNORE2
ADVERTISEMENT