ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos for Cam Porter

Trey Sermon belongs here somewhere.

But that's some really high praise for Cam and he's just getting started.

We only played OSU in 2016 during the time that both players were playing, and Hilliard didn't make any tackles in that game.
Yep - Hilliard didn't play in that game. He played in the first three games of the year before he got hurt.

I really like Cam Porter but could it also be a bit of a factor that Hilliard is also a Cincinnati kid (St X) and there might be a bit of hometown bias here?

The question asked toughest to tackle. It did not ask toughest for him to tackle. Sermon is right up there with Barkley.

LOL. What do you think he is using to base his assessment? First hand experience. The question implied toughest for you to tackle. Otherwise we’d be talking about Earl Campbell.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
LOL. What do you think he is using to base his assessment? First hand experience. The question implied toughest for you to tackle. Otherwise we’d be talking about Earl Campbell.
Right you are; Campbell was an absolute tank. In an entirely different way, Byron Sanders' brother was incredibly tough to tackle in his own right. That said, I'm still going with Walter Payton as the best all around running back who ever lived. I've seen the clips of Jim Brown but am too young to have seen him live; perhaps some of our more distinguished posters could weigh in and share their recollections of watching Brown play?

Right you are; Campbell was an absolute tank. In an entirely different way, Byron Sanders' brother was incredibly tough to tackle in his own right. That said, I'm still going with Walter Payton as the best all around running back who ever lived. I've seen the clips of Jim Brown but am too young to have seen him live; perhaps some of our more distinguished posters could weigh in and share their recollections of watching Brown play?

If you use size, speed and strength relative to that of the defenders playing in the same era, I think Brown was by far the most difficult player to tackle I have ever seen. While the phrase is a cliche, he really did look like a man among boys. As a kid, my dad had season tickets for the Cardinals, who had a DB named Pat Fischer (later with the Redskins) who weighed about 160 lbs. Seeing him try to tackle Brown was really depressing, but hilarious in a way. Brown played at about 230 lbs. at a time when a line that averaged 250 was considered huge, and he had tremendous acceleration and leg strength. There was no one playing at the time who was even close to him for the overall package of skills.

ADVERTISEMENT