ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos for Slater...

Wow. I knew he was a good player. I didn't realize he was that highly esteemed. Our struggles on offense last season clearly obscured his fine play.

This list was driven by PFF scores. While I sincerely question the PFF grading methods, they have consistently been a big fan of Slater, going back to Freshman year. Eye test alone, he was in a tough spot in a new position and I thought he handled it well (clearly getting better and better each year)

Espn calls Slater the 6th-best returning lineman in all of college football.

ESPN+ link -- https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ing-college-football-top-10-returning-ol-2020

For those without, key quote "...is arguably one of the most underrated players in all of college football"
We are fortunate to have Slater. Seems like a classy kid all around, and not a bad football player. He has gotten his share of recognition, including being named to the Freshman All-American team. He will be a 4-year starter and should have a good career in the NFL.

Reactions: mickbula
Yep, definitely projects to the interior at the next level. Dude’s 6’3” in heels, maybe. Credit to Slater himself and to his coaches (yes even Cushing) for coaxing 3 yrs of cornerstone tackle performance out of a guard’s body.

06025 far as i know.

I think among NU fans...he is the most underrated OL we have had in my memory. He can't help who he plays next to/with or the offense the OC is running. He can only do his job. Which by most statistical measures is excellent. I think he graded out to be top 5 in both pass and run among all Bigten offensive linemen. Which is really good because he should never had to play tackle!
I'm not sure any other school in the Bigten has a starting tackle his size especially when he was a frosh at 285lbs. The fact that he never could move inside says a lot about our past OL recruiting.

I think among NU fans...he is the most underrated OL we have had in my memory. He can't help who he plays next to/with or the offense the OC is running. He can only do his job. Which by most statistical measures is excellent. I think he graded out to be top 5 in both pass and run among all Bigten offensive linemen. Which is really good because he should never had to play tackle!
I'm not sure any other school in the Bigten has a starting tackle his size especially when he was a frosh at 285lbs. The fact that he never could move inside says a lot about our past OL recruiting.
“he should never had to play tackle”???

I disagree. Slater reminds me a lot of a player I studied heavily back in the early 2000s named Kendall Simmons.

Simmons was a LT for Auburn, despite (allegedly) being only 6’3 “in heels” - and a heck of a player. His claim to fame as a college senior was that he contained Dwight Freeney in a road loss, but showed top notch skill as an OL throughout Auburn’s season.

My point: Simmons was a first round draft pick as an OG for the Steelers and was a big part of their 2005 Super Bowl (an injury caused him to miss their next Super Bowl victory in 2009, yet he still got a ring).

My point: I agree with @gocatsgo2003 that he is a better NFL prospect as an OG. But if he is our best OL we may as well keep him at LT, like Simmons, to give us a fighting chance at a bowl by keeping our 2020 QB’s healthy. It certainly won’t hurt his pro prospects and, if anything, may help him - much like Mr. Simmons.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendall_Simmons

“he should never had to play tackle”???

I disagree. Slater reminds me a lot of a player I studied heavily back in the early 2000s named Kendall Simmons.

Simmons was a LT for Auburn, despite (allegedly) being only 6’3 “in heels” - and a heck of a player. His claim to fame as a college senior was that he contained Dwight Freeney in a road loss, but showed top notch skill as an OL throughout Auburn’s season.

My point: Simmons was a first round draft pick as an OG for the Steelers and was a big part of their 2005 Super Bowl (an injury caused him to miss their next Super Bowl victory in 2009, yet he still got a ring).

My point: I agree with @gocatsgo2003 that he is a better NFL prospect as an OG. But if he is our best OL we may as well keep him at LT, like Simmons, to give us a fighting chance at a bowl by keeping our 2020 QB’s healthy. It certainly won’t hurt his pro prospects and, if anything, may help him - much like Mr. Simmons.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendall_Simmons

Slater is undoubtedly the best OL we have. A catch-22 in that he could have played inside his whole career if we had any tackles who could actually play. He probably has to stay at tackle for NU in 2020 and will earn real money playing the game, but would’ve been better to have tackles to “move him off the spot” during his NU career.

Slater is undoubtedly the best OL we have. A catch-22 in that he could have played inside his whole career if we had any tackles who could actually play. He probably has to stay at tackle for NU in 2020 and will earn real money playing the game, but would’ve been better to have tackles to “move him off the spot” during his NU career.
Agreed but it is what it is. We all know why we’re in this situation and in the grand scheme of things it’s now a short-term setback.

He is our best OL, and if we don’t have anyone else to man the blindside then it should be him.

Peyton - and the league - will appreciate his flexibility, if only for another season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT