ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to TJ Green

it was a team win but Green really justified the staff’s confidence in him. He showed that we can compete if he has to play extensive minutes. Nice Job TJ!
Agreed! I was so happy for the young man when a LOT of people basically gave him NO CHANCE to do anything productive. It’s a product of a good QB development system that’s getting better year by year. Way to go TJ.

it was a team win but Green really justified the staff’s confidence in him. He showed that we can compete if he has to play extensive minutes. Nice Job TJ!
Heck ya! CT looked great at times! Nice game plan not to burn CT out! Green has good wheels. We needed him on the QB sneak

All of that said... I hope we don't see him take another snap this year except in the 4th quarter of a blowout. Thorson is at another level. He had some stretches there where he was magical. Imagine if he had just one playmaker at the WR position. I'm excited to watch him this year.

Reactions: RockfishCat
All of that said... I hope we don't see him take another snap this year except in the 4th quarter of a blowout. Thorson is at another level. He had some stretches there where he was magical. Imagine if he had just one playmaker at the WR position. I'm excited to watch him this year.

Pretty sure you’ll see the rotation approach for the next several weeks.

I think the real victory tonight will be based on how this pitch count thing plays out with Thorson's knee. If CT has no ill effect from real, adrenaline driven play time, it was worth the agony of the win. If CT is a little sore going into this 9 day recovery week, it was worth the agony of the win. If CT can't practice this week after a reduced workload, it might still be worth the agony of this win. If Thorson can't play against Michigan NU should have played Green the whole game.

I think the real victory tonight will be based on how this pitch count thing plays out with Thorson's knee. If CT has no ill effect from real, adrenaline driven play time, it was worth the agony of the win. If CT is a little sore going into this 9 day recovery week, it was worth the agony of the win. If CT can't practice this week after a reduced workload, it might still be worth the agony of this win. If Thorson can't play against Michigan NU should have played Green the whole game.
Yeah... I get that. If the rotation helps keep Thorson from overextending as he gets fatigued in games, then its probably a good things. AS LONG AS WE'RE WINNING!!

Not sure if that's how it is going to go but CT did seem to lose some focus and leave the pocket early to the right side. Almost nothing good happens when he bails right. I tendency I hope he finally solves before Michigan.

Of course we all want Ws, but I do expect the same "pitch count"/dual QB situation for the next 2 weeks against Duke/Akron.

If less stress on CT gets him back to 100% by Sept 29 for Michigan, then it's absolutely worth it.

And I sincerely hope we see much more 18 than 10 as the season progresses. The rhythm of the offense was distinctly different depending on which QB was on the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricko654321
Of course we all want Ws, but I do expect the same "pitch count"/dual QB situation for the next 2 weeks against Duke/Akron.

If less stress on CT gets him back to 100% by Sept 29 for Michigan, then it's absolutely worth it.

I agree but I wish they would do it by series rather than plays.

Then hopefully we see him take a lot of snaps. Regardless, how long has it been since we have seen a second string QB taking meaningful snaps? TS? Good to know we have some faith in our second string for a change

Reactions: IGNORE2
And I sincerely hope we see much more 18 than 10 as the season progresses. The rhythm of the offense was distinctly difference depending on which QB was on the field.
That's a no brainer dude. I gotta think that while Green has the confidence of Coach Fitz to spell CT, I'm thinking it was only to play CT on a certain play count. At any rate, it appears that we have a solid backup at least this year. National TV away, good job for the QB's tonight.

That's a no brainer dude. I gotta think that while Green has the confidence of Coach Fitz to spell CT, I'm thinking it was only to play CT on a certain play count. At any rate, it appears that we have a solid backup at least this year. National TV away, good job for the QB's tonight.

Except not really. Both 18 and 10 have to do a lot more of we want to win against the upper echelon B1G teams on the schedule.

Except not really. Both 18 and 10 have to do a lot more of we want to win against the upper echelon B1G teams on the schedule.
True but let's give Purdue credit. Purdue was better than I thought. BTW, what happened to that WR from Oregon we had? Is he hurt again or is he on the team?

Not sure if that's how it is going to go but CT did seem to lose some focus and leave the pocket early to the right side. Almost nothing good happens when he bails right. I tendency I hope he finally solves before Michigan.
I agree. He needs to figure out ways to buy time other than sprinting to his right. He's not particularly accurate throwing on the run so I really hope that he gets more comfortable stepping up or to his left to buy time and get a throwing lane. His touch on the couple of deep balls that he threw was not good either, so hopefully that will develop as well. Having said all of that, great to have him back and I'm really happy for him. Amazing that he's back this quickly.

Then hopefully we see him take a lot of snaps. Regardless, how long has it been since we have seen a second string QB taking meaningful snaps? TS? Good to know we have some faith in our second string for a change
Having TJ will be very beneficial especially in the early part of the season as Thor gets his legs under him, with the added bonus of getting a backup some meaningful reps.

We need 18 to get off this “pitch count” bullshit.

Get a grip dude. TJ proved himself to be a reasonable backup and did well when he was in. Completely debunking your flippant dismissal of his abilities. We are far better off with Thorson in at QB, but we can win games if TJ needs to play some. As we showed last night. In the end, TJ did better than Sindelar. I'll take 0 turnovers vs. 3 any day of the week.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Key element of qb situation is the new wildcat formation. Larkin durabilty and ball handling skills very important. In post game interview, he said he won't be throwing, but he completed the pass to Thorson in the bowl game. No reason to completely rule it out.

Reactions: NUCat320
Key element of qb situation is the new wildcat formation. Larkin durabilty and ball handling skills very important. In post game interview, he said he won't be throwing, but he completed the pass to Thorson in the bowl game. No reason to completely rule it out.
Given the injury the pass to Thornton is sort of the ultimate deception call. They know it is in the play book, NU ran the formation in the first game back after the injury, no one believes we would actually do it again but if they don't cover it the odds of rein jury are really slim.

Get a grip dude. TJ proved himself to be a reasonable backup and did well when he was in. Completely debunking your flippant dismissal of his abilities. We are far better off with Thorson in at QB, but we can win games if TJ needs to play some. As we showed last night. In the end, TJ did better than Sindelar. I'll take 0 turnovers vs. 3 any day of the week.

The offense we saw on the first two series is the one we need to make noise in the B1G. Aren’t you the MOAR guy?

The offense we saw on the first two series is the one we need to make noise in the B1G. Aren’t you the MOAR guy?

Yeah, I'm the MOAR guy.

But, I can also appreciate the value and contribution that TJ Green made.

Sure, want Clayton to go the rest of the way and as much as possible. But, Green ain't chopped liver and he's a quality backup. I'm glad we have him.

Yeah, I'm the MOAR guy.

Sure, want Clayton to go the rest of the way and as much as possible. But, Green ain't chopped liver and he's a quality backup. I'm glad we have him.

Green did fine, but you’re not going to win much in the B1G if he’s at the helm.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Yeah, I'm the MOAR guy.

Sure as hell beats going 100% with CT, not knowing how his knee will hold up going forward, as opposed to giving some highly beneficial (and confidence building) playing time to Green.

+1. When was the last time anyone remembers a second string NU QB coming in for his first snaps ever and doing this well? He had zero turnovers, took zero sacks, threw some nice passes, led 2 scoring drives (I think?), and aside from I think one near-INT didn’t really make any egregious decisions.

This was all in a game 1, B1G road night game. Again, think about our prior backup QBs debuts, even the likes of Kafka and Persa. And TJ is a walkon.

Sure as hell beats going 100% with CT, not knowing how his knee will hold up going forward, as opposed to giving some highly beneficial (and confidence building) playing time to Green.
Wonder what you would say if we had lost the game and That stupid Purdue penalty didn’t happen? Let’s keep in mind who was at the helm for most of our points.

Wonder what you would say if we had lost the game and That stupid Purdue penalty didn’t happen? Let’s keep in mind who was at the helm for most of our points.
This would be a much more difficult conversation had we lost but many observers reported that CT was looking tired at the end of the game. Tired players get injured much more easily. We want CT going forward not backward.

Well, a UFO could have landed at midfield during halftime and replaced both our quarterbacks with lizard people. What would you have thought then? Huh? Huh? :confused:
Go Lizards!!
images

Given the injury the pass to Thornton is sort of the ultimate deception call. They know it is in the play book, NU ran the formation in the first game back after the injury, no one believes we would actually do it again but if they don't cover it the odds of rein jury are really slim.
Actually Purdue didn't cover him on the first Wildcat snap...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT