ADVERTISEMENT

Lanny

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
"The Packers will not tender defensive tackle Tyler Lancaster, according to multiple reports.

Lancaster signed with the Packers as an undrafted free agent out of Northwestern in 2018 and has been a rotational defender for the last three years. He’s started multiple games in each of his three seasons, playing around a third of Green Bay’s defensive snaps in the last two years. He also played 34 percent of the special teams snaps in 2020.

In 43 career games with 18 starts, Lancaster has 79 total tackles, three tackles for loss, three quarterback hits, and 1.5 sacks. He did not register a sack, TFL, or QB hit in 15 contests last season."

"The Packers will not tender defensive tackle Tyler Lancaster, according to multiple reports.

Lancaster signed with the Packers as an undrafted free agent out of Northwestern in 2018 and has been a rotational defender for the last three years. He’s started multiple games in each of his three seasons, playing around a third of Green Bay’s defensive snaps in the last two years. He also played 34 percent of the special teams snaps in 2020.

In 43 career games with 18 starts, Lancaster has 79 total tackles, three tackles for loss, three quarterback hits, and 1.5 sacks. He did not register a sack, TFL, or QB hit in 15 contests last season."

He will sign somewhere for at least the veteran’s minimum. Definite value as a rotation DT.

Reactions: nu greek and DaCat
He will sign somewhere for at least the veteran’s minimum. Definite value as a rotation DT.
I’m pretty sure he’s already set for perennial income from the NFL pension as he’s had 3+ years of service (used to be 5) and has played enough to qualify.

But the longer he plays, the more set he will be. Having a NU degree to fall back on doesn’t hurt.

Would be a great pick up for the Bears as a back up to Eddy Goldman. I am sure Lanny would love the opportunity to come back home and be close to his mom and sister.

By the way, Ifeadi also was non tendered by the Vikings. I think both will have interest although at less money as salary caps are crunched. They should sign one year deals and get back into free agency next year when the post Covid salary cap will skyrocket to over $200 mm per team.

Would be a great pick up for the Bears as a back up to Eddy Goldman. I am sure Lanny would love the opportunity to come back home and be close to his mom and sister.

By the way, Ifeadi also was non tendered by the Vikings. I think both will have interest although at less money as salary caps are crunched. They should sign one year deals and get back into free agency next year when the post Covid salary cap will skyrocket to over $200 mm per team.

Tyler did a fine job for the Packers in a rotational role. I hope the Packers can re-sign him at a cap friendly deal. Either way he will be an asset to whoever signs him!

Tyler did a fine job for the Packers in a rotational role. I hope the Packers can re-sign him at a cap friendly deal. Either way he will be an asset to whoever signs him!

They non tendered him at any level which means he won’t be going back to the Packers.

They non tendered him at any level which means he won’t be going back to the Packers.
I guess he will......

Defensive lineman Tyler Lancaster wasn’t tendered as a restricted free agent by the Packers, but he and the team have found common ground on a new contract.

Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com reports that Lancaster is re-signing with the team.

Lancaster originally signed with the Packers as an undrafted free agent out of Northwestern in 2018 and landed on the practice squad after final cuts. He was summoned to the active roster in early October and went on to play 43 regular season games over the last three seasons. He started 18 of those games and started three of the four playoff games Green Bay played the last two seasons.
Lancaster has 79 tackles, 1.5 sacks, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery over his career.

I guess he will......

Defensive lineman Tyler Lancaster wasn’t tendered as a restricted free agent by the Packers, but he and the team have found common ground on a new contract.

Lancaster originally signed with the Packers as an undrafted free agent out of Northwestern in 2018 and landed on the practice squad after final cuts. He was summoned to the active roster in early October and went on to play 43 regular season games over the last three seasons. He started 18 of those games and started three of the four playoff games Green Bay played the last two seasons.
Lancaster has 79 tackles, 1.5 sacks, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery over his career.

I'm assuming this is a pretty cheap, non-guaranteed deal... unfortunately, he probably shouldn't feel terribly secure about his roster spot just yet.

I guess he will......

That’s a very unusual outcome. It is either an indication of very little interest in Lanny from any other team (surprising) or of his desire to return to the Packers at all costs. They could have secured his rights in the first place with a very low tender at essentially the league minimum. As GCG indicated, I suspect there is little to no guaranteed money in the deal.

That’s a very unusual outcome. It is either an indication of very little interest in Lanny from any other team (surprising) or of his desire to return to the Packers at all costs. They could have secured his rights in the first place with a very low tender at essentially the league minimum. As GCG indicated, I suspect there is little to no guaranteed money in the deal.

I almost wonder if they might try him at center or guard.

Reactions: corbi296

I am far from an expert so could be wrong on this. But I thought the Restricted Free Agent minimum tender was $2.1MM? Lanny made $750K last year and the minimum for 3 years of service looks to be $920K. $2.1 would have been a big jump. And the main benefit to the team tendering is draft pick compensation if they lose the player - but I assume there no compensation for an un-drafted free agent like Lanny (unless they are tendered at a much higher cost)

I wouldn't be feeling great about job security if I were Lanny but for most players that is the case every year. Not sure there is a ton to read into the lack of a tender and then re-signing though.

Okay, so Lanny's probably off the table, but I'd love to see Ifeadi land with the Bears.

I am far from an expert so could be wrong on this. But I thought the Restricted Free Agent minimum tender was $2.1MM? Lanny made $750K last year and the minimum for 3 years of service looks to be $920K. $2.1 would have been a big jump. And the main benefit to the team tendering is draft pick compensation if they lose the player - but I assume there no compensation for an un-drafted free agent like Lanny (unless they are tendered at a much higher cost)

I wouldn't be feeling great about job security if I were Lanny but for most players that is the case every year. Not sure there is a ton to read into the lack of a tender and then re-signing though.

Just looked it up and you are absolutely right. I thought the lowest tender was closer to the $1 million level. That makes their decision much more understandable.

ADVERTISEMENT