ADVERTISEMENT

Lathon to UTEP

Good luck to Lathon. The young man missed an opportunity, for whatever mysterious reason, to attend Northwestern. Hopefully he maximizes his opportunity at UTEP. Heck who knows, life can be strange, he could be looking for graduate transfer opportunities in a few years...

Just so everyone understands, this is shocking. There is a reason that all these programs passed on Lathon because there is cloud of allegations following this young man. That UTEP signed him shows only that they really don't give a damn. While I hope that Lathon can make it through the storm and is cleared if he did nothing wrong, I am stunned any program touched him at this time. If this does not clear up, UTEP is gonna have mess on its hands and I would be shocked if the Coach kept his job.

Reactions: lunker35
Just so everyone understands, this is shocking. There is a reason that all these programs passed on Lathon because there is cloud of allegations following this young man. That UTEP signed him shows only that they really don't give a damn. While I hope that Lathon can make it through the storm and is cleared if he did nothing wrong, I am stunned any program touched him at this time. If this does not clear up, UTEP is gonna have mess on its hands and I would be shocked if the Coach kept his job.

Yeah at this point I had figured he would take a year off. Didn’t expect him to sign this cycle.

So speak, what happened?

You guys talk all cryptically as if you know something, but you can't say. If you can't say, then better just to say nothing than to tease the rest of us ignoramuses.

I wonder if Armon Gates knows...

yeah quite shocking he signed somewhere. UTEP had to know, allegedly SMU was about to offer him then pulled it after finding out what NU knew.

That is QUITE a statement.

What on earth did he allegedly do? (I know you cannot say). I guess in time we will learn.

Are you saying the Gates departure is somehow related to Lathon situation?

No I was making a lame joke. I never found out what happened to Gates at Florida in spite of all kinds of anonymous innuendos, and I'm guessing the same will happen with the Lathon situation.

Reactions: NUCat320
No I was making a lame joke. I never found out what happened to Gates at Florida in spite of all kinds of anonymous innuendos, and I'm guessing the same will happen with the Lathon situation.
I really don’t think it was anything that juicy. From reading UF forums it appeared to be issues over some sort of power dynamics between him and other assistants regarding roles. I have respect for Nebraska and don’t believe they would’ve hired him if it was something bad

I mean, I just don't understand why we can't have a general idea what happened

I'll explain why people are not saying what is going on, to protect Lathon. I happen to have a kid Jordan's age who is leaving next week for college and if he was in a similar situation there is no way I would want people talking about it. The only reason anyone here knows that anything happened in the first place is because NU had to come out and issue a public statement. The only reason it went beyond that here is that people wanted to believe that NU was in the wrong and people came to NU's defense confirming that nope, NU did the right thing.

I'll explain why people are not saying what is going on, to protect Lathon. I happen to have a kid Jordan's age who is leaving next week for college and if he was in a similar situation there is no way I would want people talking about it. The only reason anyone here knows that anything happened in the first place is because NU had to come out and issue a public statement. The only reason it went beyond that here is that people wanted to believe that NU was in the wrong and people came to NU's defense confirming that nope, NU did the right thing.

Max Power, I apologize if this has been covered.....was it not possible for NU to not issue a statement? Simply withdraw the offer and let the grapevine inform the twitterverse?

Max Power, I apologize if this has been covered.....was it not possible for NU to not issue a statement? Simply withdraw the offer and let the grapevine inform the twitterverse?
A lot of things are possible.

Just curious how you found out what happened? Inside connection at the school?

A lot of things are possible.

yeah, and I really don't feel the need to know what happened with the young man

I'm more interested in what options were available to the university

perhaps they did the only thing that was possible, it just struck me as a pretty intense response to someone who was not enrolled

had he spent one day on campus as a student, I'd have a different reaction

Lathon was probably my favorite NU hoops recruit ever and everyone who I know and talk to about NU sports knew I could not wait to watch him play at NU. How many times I sent texts with his highlights to my boys is probably embarrassing. In that context, when it went south, the info just found its way to me.

Lathon was probably my favorite NU hoops recruit ever and everyone who I know and talk to about NU sports knew I could not wait to watch him play at NU. How many times I sent texts with his highlights to my boys is probably embarrassing. In that context, when it went south, the info just found its way to me.

Max ... Knowing what you know, is this a situation where he could have gone the prep school route for a year , and with a stellar year on and off the court, rehabilitated his standing to the point of having better opportunities for himself? Hate to see a youthful mistake become a permanent stain. I too was totally stoked about him attending NU.

GOUNUII

perhaps they did the only thing that was possible, it just struck me as a pretty intense response to someone who was not enrolled

NU was facing a tough situation where it had a full class that was fully signed. If it suddenly started recruiting again without issuing a statement, and Lathon also started talking to other schools, the rumor mill could have generated talk that Lathon had asked for and received a release. That could have had an adverse impact on NU, as folks might have read that as suggesting a problem within the program. That would have been unfair to NU and exacerbated its recruiting problem, when it already was having to scramble to fill a class for a reason that was not its fault. I think NU needed to release something to make clear that it was pulling the plug, not the other way around. Just my two cents.

Max ... Knowing what you know, is this a situation where he could have gone the prep school route for a year , and with a stellar year on and off the court, rehabilitated his standing to the point of having better opportunities for himself? Hate to see a youthful mistake become a permanent stain. I too was totally stoked about him attending NU.

GOUNUII

My reaction to him attending a prep school would have been the same as my reaction to the UTEP signing. To give you an idea, here's something from Twitter on June 2:

Washington State, Cincinnati, SMU, and Virginia Tech are the latest to offer 2018 top-available PG Jordan Lathon, he tells me. Ohio State, Texas Tech, Gonzaga, and Nebraska have strong interest as well.

He ended up at UTEP.

Last edited:

GOUNUII
It’s more likely he’d wind up at Independence CC after a stay somewhere else. I’m shocked he’s at UTEP and put me in the camp who was a huge fan of his.

My reaction to him attending a prep school would have been the same as my reaction to the UTEP signing. To give you an idea, here's something from Twitter on June 2:

Washington State, Cincinnati, SMU, and Virginia Tech are the latest to offer 2018 top-available PG Jordan Lathon, he tells me. Ohio State, Texas Tech, Gonzaga, and Nebraska have strong interest as well.

He ended up at UTEP.

Many thanks for the reply.

GOUNUII

It’s more likely he’d wind up at Independence CC after a stay somewhere else. I’m shocked he’s at UTEP and put me in the camp who was a huge fan of his.

I was a huge fan of his too and was looking for him to fill Bryant McIntosh's shoes for the next 4 years at NU. When NU made the announcement, and at such a late time in the recruiting process, I knew it had to be something extraordinarily serious. Just can't figure out what it is with no clues in the public domain including police reports etc.

He ended up at UTEP.
So these weren’t “commitable” offers? How on earth does he have these “offers” and end up at UTEP? (I had an unforgettable night in El Paso once, but never in a million years would I want to live there) Did these programs offer, find out what happened, and then back off?

So these weren’t “commitable” offers? How on earth does he have these “offers” and end up at UTEP? (I had an unforgettable night in El Paso once, but never in a million years would I want to live there) Did these programs offer, find out what happened, and then back off?
That’s exactly what happened. SMU was about to offer talked to NU and then changes their mind

Trust me NU was in the right

I was a huge fan of his too and was looking for him to fill Bryant McIntosh's shoes for the next 4 years at NU. When NU made the announcement, and at such a late time in the recruiting process, I knew it had to be something extraordinarily serious. Just can't figure out what it is with no clues in the public domain including police reports etc.
Come tailgate with me this year and we can talk about it. I just don’t think it’s fair to put on here unless it comes out publicly.

Reactions: DaCat
Appreciate what you guys could share, but man, now I'm like the cat that gets killed.
Sorry I can’t share more I agree with others In not sharing non public allegations. It’s frustrating not to know. I still don’t know what happened with Gates at UF but once I found out what happened here with Lathon I was very proud that NU did what they did in a time where so many different things are attempted to be covered up by other teams across the NCAA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT