ADVERTISEMENT

Law on defense

CappyNU

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2004
Chicago
Some interesting (to me) stats regarding Vic Law's defense this year in the 5 B1G games:

D performance when Law is on the court - 1.11 oPPP, 79% of minutes
D performance when Law is on the bench - 0.78 oPPP, 21% of minutes

Seems completely backwards, but for whatever reason, our defense has been performing significantly better when Gaines or Lindsey are at the 3.

However, there is some nuance regarding the poor D stats when Vic is on the court:

Vic at the 4 - 1.47 oPPP, 16% of possessions
Vic at the 3 - 1.05 oPPP, 84% of possessions

We fortunately did not use Vic at the 4 last night, but in the other games where we've gone that route, it's been an unmitigated disaster.

Within Vic playing his normal spot, some more detail:

Vic paired with Skelly - 1.21 oPPP, 55% of possessions
Vic paired with Falzon - 0.82 oPPP, 41% of possessions

I'm not sure why Falzon only got 2 minutes against PSU, but when he has been in the game, our defense has been stellar, and we score way more points. I don't know if it's injury-related or not, but more Falzon, please.

Reactions: willycat
pretty sure Law is always guarding the top threat on the other team....and when the opposing coach gives that player a breather, Collins sits Law

Law combines the most consistent and determined defensive focus on the team...perhaps Pardon is right there as well...with the quickest feet. His leaping ability is nice, but the quick feet on defense are a huge defensive weapon.

Gaines and Lindsey are both nice defenders, but not in Law's league.

Cappy, thanks! That is great. Medill - That is very good context to consider.

Some interesting (to me) stats regarding Vic Law's defense this year in the 5 B1G games:

D performance when Law is on the court - 1.11 oPPP, 79% of minutes
D performance when Law is on the bench - 0.78 oPPP, 21% of minutes

Seems completely backwards, but for whatever reason, our defense has been performing significantly better when Gaines or Lindsey are at the 3.

However, there is some nuance regarding the poor D stats when Vic is on the court:

Vic at the 4 - 1.47 oPPP, 16% of possessions
Vic at the 3 - 1.05 oPPP, 84% of possessions

We fortunately did not use Vic at the 4 last night, but in the other games where we've gone that route, it's been an unmitigated disaster.

Within Vic playing his normal spot, some more detail:

Vic paired with Skelly - 1.21 oPPP, 55% of possessions
Vic paired with Falzon - 0.82 oPPP, 41% of possessions

I'm not sure why Falzon only got 2 minutes against PSU, but when he has been in the game, our defense has been stellar, and we score way more points. I don't know if it's injury-related or not, but more Falzon, please.
Falzon looked like he was still having some issues recovering from the surgery and not ready for the quickness of some matchups. He played more against MN and maybe that means he is finally getting back to form or maybe that the matchup was more favorable

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT