ADVERTISEMENT

Law to have surgery...

Katatonic

Oct 23, 2004
Our basketball program continues to be snakebit it seems. This does not sound like an insignificant condition or procedure. Best of wishes to Vic.

Interesting. I wonder if it's heart related. I went through something similar that was heart related, but the symptoms didn't appear until I was in my mid 30s.

Pure speculation on my part, I know, but I wish the young man the best, both for next season and for continued good health the rest of his life.

Amazing what he has accomplished playing through this issue. Explains why he appeared gassed some games. Hope the surgery is a success, Vic seems like a great guy.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Awfully vague, but at least the docs see something they hope to repair. The recovery time should enable him to be ready for next season.

Good luck, Vic.

Law has been a very streaky player, and this might be one reason for it. Hope all goes well for him. From the little I've seen of him and read about him he seems like a high-character young man.

Wow, this sounds like it could be really serious. I hope he'll be OK.

Could be a valve issue or a bypass.
I'd guess a congenital heart defect like a valve issue, not a bypass, given his young age and excellent overall condition. I had an ASD which caused pulmonary hypertension and required surgery. A couple of months later, I felt much better.

Again, pure speculation on my part regarding Law's condition. I'm sure he's in good hands.

Woah! I hope Vic has a positive experience and result from this. It certainly explains him so often gassed during games.

I'm sure he's in good hands.
Probably no better time in Vic's life to have the condition addressed. He will no doubt get top notch medical care, and the NU Training staff will give him the best rehab possible. Great that he can get it fixed while he has a solid support network around him and isn't working a job with a family to support.

Probably no better time in Vic's life to have the condition addressed. He will no doubt get top notch medical care, and the NU Training staff will give him the best rehab possible. Great that he can get it fixed while he has a solid support network around him and isn't working a job with a family to support.

Couldn’t have said it any better. Look forward to him having a big time senior year in the new WRA.

Could be a valve issue or a bypass.
Good grief, I hope it's not a bypass. Valve defects are often hereditary and can be quite minor. Bypass means blocked arteries, and if it's serious enough to warrant surgery, then he should not be playing basketball. I cannot imagine he needs a bypass given his age, but a even a minor blockage would be treated with a stent and/or drugs.

No--I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night (I slept in an alley off Rush). My dad was a heart surgeon.

I had surgery in November to repair a deviated septum and clear the nasal pipes. Took about 3 weeks to feel fully recovered.

I'm due to have a cherry bomb shoved up my nose to relieve constant congestion.

Trying to avoid the conjecture...also very tempting...

I just hope he does well, and am still convinced he will one day make an active NBA roster

They might start first with your posterior to relieve the blockage caused by too much Keystone Light

No Keystone Light! Nope! Bad memories. Anyway, Natty Light and Busch Lite are the brews of choice around these parts. People look at me funny if I bring something like Sam Adams Cold Snap to a party.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
No Keystone Light! Nope! Bad memories. Anyway, Natty Light and Busch Lite are the brews of choice around these parts. People look at me funny if I bring something like Sam Adams Cold Snap to a party.
They actually invite you to parties???

Interesting. I wonder if it's heart related. I went through something similar that was heart related, but the symptoms didn't appear until I was in my mid 30s.

Pure speculation on my part, I know, but I wish the young man the best, both for next season and for continued good health the rest of his life.
100% speculation from a lung doctor... assuming they are accurate in saying the surgery addresses his lung capacity...which in my world has a very specific meaning...The only things I can think of would be repair of pectus excavatum
which makes sense given his upper body habitus or release of an entrapped or compressed phrenic nerve which seems unlikely to solve a lung capacity issue in the near term

I'm due to have a cherry bomb shoved up my nose to relieve constant congestion.
Glades,

There is procedure called Chemical Nasal Cautery being done at some places that is suppose to provide congestion relief . Here is a link to Rush Presbyterian St. Luke's Medical Center in Chicago:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/05/000519064214.htm

Essentially, it's a chemical peel inside your nose. Might be better than a cherry bomb if you are having a problem.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Consider using a Neti Pot for sinus cleansing. But use Natty Lite as the irrigating solution. It would then be a Natty Pot.

Noses run in the family.
Love the Natty Pot brand identity. That said, though, Natty Lite isn’t the best for irrigation. I think you will find that Drano, with a Schlitz rinse, will do the job. You know the slogan, “You only go around once in life, so grab for all the gusto you can get ... and blast those boogers once and for all if it’s the last thing you do."

Editorial note: How did we start with discussing surgery for Law, and devolve into advocating home remedies for draining the swamp-induced sinus slime?

Reactions: MysticCat and NJCat
100% speculation from a lung doctor... assuming they are accurate in saying the surgery addresses his lung capacity...which in my world has a very specific meaning...The only things I can think of would be repair of pectus excavatum
which makes sense given his upper body habitus or release of an entrapped or compressed phrenic nerve which seems unlikely to solve a lung capacity issue in the near term
I, for one, find this extremely difficult to argue with.
Possibly because I don’t understand any of it.
Whatever his condition might be, I certainly hope it all goes well and he has a speedy and complete recovery!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT